“Wonderful, it was better than expected!”
Review of Iberostar Cancun

Iberostar Cancun
Ranked #18 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Kansas City
“Wonderful, it was better than expected!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful place! The service was beyond excellent. I loved the star staff and we didn't need to leave the resort. The food was beyond great and the drinks were great. I really enjoyed the nightly entertainment.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Wurdack
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to write your review about your stay with us, we are so glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel, the food and drinks and night entertainment!

We will strive to exceed your expectations every time you come back.

Iberostar México

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,046)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A great mini-break spot! Four days and three night family stay jump down to Cancun from Austin TX was easy and the Cancun beach is amazing. All-you-can take margaritas helped...

Older place, but it was good value for dollar and the staff was very nice. Food was OK, but the beach-front location made it all great. Very kid friendly without being annoying.

2 Thank AndrewHope2013
Dear Guest,

We are very glad to know we were able to make your family trip a pleasurable stay.

Your comments on your experience with us are very valuable, it helps us give a better service to guests and keep renovating our facilities and strive for excellence!

We hope you come back to see us soon, as it would be a pleasure to serve you again.

Regards,
Vancouver
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were a family of 6 who checked into 2 rooms in July at the Iberostar Cancun. The hotel is beautiful and well maintained. Staff are always cleaning or working on the grounds. Lots of different areas to explore. The nightly shows were good and so much effort was put in by the entertainment staff to keep you going, especially if you had teenagers. Our favourite night show was the magic act. The only place for free wi-fi is the lounge adjacent to the lobby. You’d find lots of people there especially in the evening with their electronic devices. I couldn’t get on several times. Would suggest the hotel spread the free service out to several areas in the hotel. We took the bus into Cancun 1 day which is 8.5 pesos each way. This was a great way to get around with pick-ups and drop-offs in front of the hotel. We booked a private tour to Chitzen-Itza with Flavio Tours and this is definitely the way to go for a personal experience.

Rooms: We had 1 room with a full balcony and another with a mini-balcony. Both rooms had ocean views. Both rooms had 2 queen beds, an enclosed toilet/tub area and an electronic safe in the walk-in closet. The walk-in closet was nice as you had a place to put your suitcases to get them out of the room. The rooms are pretty basic with a small desk and chair. The fridge was stocked daily with whatever was missing. I asked for more coke than other stuff when I saw them stocking the fridge 1 day and and they seemed to keep stocking it that way. The rooms are really quiet and the maids do a great job in keeping things clean. For the little time we spent in the room, I’d suggest not getting the higher priced full balcony room. Would suggest a room on 6th floor or higher for better ocean views

Beach: Beautiful beach with no rocks for swimming. Never had a problem finding a Palapa for shade at any time. Yes there were a few people who reserved the Oceanside ones early in the morning but there were always some available. Beach Bar service was great and they would bring anything you wanted including top shelf liquor. If you preferred, the beach bar was only a few steps away. Very few vendors asking if you wanted to buy anything. They moved on quickly if you said no. Security would watch them from a distance and if they didn’t move on they were quickly asked to move. The lifeguards were always checking to make sure you didn’t go too far out. If you did, you’d hear the whistle and they’d ask that you came closer to shore. We’d see signs every morning of turtles who’d laid their eggs overnight. The eggs are collected and when they hatch they’re released in the evenings. A few people indicated they’d seen the release about 8pm at the beach. We did see a turtle laying eggs one evening with a security guard making sure no one came too close to disturb the turtle. What a great site.

Pool: Again never had a problem finding lounge chairs in the shade. The lounge chairs immediately adjacent to the the pool areas were scooped up 1st. Several different pool areas to choose from, from kids areas, entertainment areas to more secluded areas. The infinity edge overlooking the ocean was great with a drink in hand. The servers were continually around collecting cups and asking if you needed anything.

Food: this is where the resport needs improvement. We did 3 ala-cartes (Japanese, Mexican,Gourmet) and booked them in advance of arrival through email.
Japanese: they gave us a menu with multiple choices but when it came time to order, they said your only choice was seafood, beef or chicken cooked on the grill and everything else was already set. They poured the same soya sauce over everything making it all taste pretty much the same. By contrast the Iberostar Paraiso had the same menu in their Japanese restaurant and you could order anything and the cooking style was different.
Gourmet: Our favourite. From presentation to service, it was just great with a nice few to the central coutyard
Mexican: poor service and food. Of all the food to showcase in Mexico, you’d think this would be great but half the menu was dedicated to variations of tacos. The appetizers and desserts were pretty much what you got from the buffet during the day. What a complete let down and missed opportunity for the hotel.. I ordered a Mexican coffee for dessert and was served coffee, tequila with chocolate ice cream on a salted rim glass.
Buffet: great service but the food and quality is lacking. You’ll always find something but there is no real variety. Seems allot of the lunch items are carried into the dinner buffet. Suggest they consider theme nights to provide more variety.
The restaurnat adjacent to the beach is open for lunch and serves great tacos and has a basic buffet. Also soft serve ice cream through the dispenser. A great place to go versus the main buffet.
There is also a burger bar adjacent to the pool which had a steady stream of kids. Don’t know why’d goto Mexico to have burgers and fries but to each there own.

Room Tip: Tip: there are hammocks strung between the palm trees in the back of the villas for anyone to use. T...
1 Thank LLHH
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and feedback. We are very glad to know we were able to make your stay pleasurable.

Please know your comments and experience with us are very valuable, as it is always necessary for us in this industry to get the feedback pointing out the weakest areas in order to give a better service to guests and keep striving for excellence.

We will pass your comments on to our Executive Chef and Bar & Restaurants Manager to improve those aspects (food options and service). They are always working on improving day after day so feedback helps them identify better what needs to be worked on and addressed.

Please come back soon to visit us it will be a pleasure to make your vacation another great memory to remember.
Regards,

Hickory, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just got back from a 6 day trip to Iberostar Cancun. This resort far exceeded my expectations. It was our first trip out of the country with our children (my husband and I have traveled multiple other places). We felt safe, pampered and welcome!

Food: the food is great! I recommend trying to make your reservations immediately after check-in. The Steakhouse was our favorite! We also loved the wide variety on the buffet. It changes everyday. The food was plentiful and delicious.

Entertainment: We loved the entertainment! Each night at 8:00 there is a special kids show. All the kids get on stage and dance and have a fun competition. My children, ages 8 and 11, both enjoyed it. A special thank you to Victor, the director of the kids club. My son adored him. The Star Friends interact with the guests all day. There are plenty of activities to either opt in or opt out of. We enjoyed the contests and lessons.

Room: we stayed in a villa. The room was spacious and clean. The maids leave a towel decoration on the bed each day.

Overall, I highly recommend this resort! We loved it!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AdenC
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for the time you have taken to share this review and the valuable comments you have provided in it.

We have no doubts that your review will be of a great help for many travelers while making their decision to visit Cancun. Thank you for the warm words regarding our team, service, food, and our facilities in general.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions, which we will be happy to make very special for you.

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had a bittersweet time at this property. The pools and grounds were awesome, as was the beach, but the room was horrible. I felt very limited when booking our vacation since my husband and I were traveling with our 2 year old daughter. Our main goal was to find a kid friendly property and this definitely fit the bill. But it wasn't the least bit romantic and the rooms were in desperate need of updating. I was on the verge of transferring to another hotel, but luckily the bed was quite comfy and pools were so good, it outweighed the hassle and cost of transferring. My husband and I had recently stayed at the Beloved Hotel a few months prior and the rooms at the Iberostar pale in comparison. We've also stayed at the Royal in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, which were beautiful properties with spacious and modern rooms (but they are couples only hotels). All in all, I still much prefer the Beloved Hotel.

Nevertheless, the good includes the pools and plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas around the pools. We seemed to always find a spot no matter what time of day. The beach and the palapas on the beach were also quite nice. I would rate the pools and the beach 5 stars.

The service was okay as well. It wasn't as good as the Beloved, but I would still rate it 3.5 to 4 stars.

The rooms and food were definitely the downfalls. I could barely stomach lunch and dinner at the buffet. It was basically the same food, always luke warm...and the mexican food from the buffet may as well have been from Taco Bell (round tortilla chips with processed cheese for nachos). There was a definite lack of options for lunch. On the other hand, the breakfast was decent and so was the hibachi restaurant. We also tried the Mexican restaurant, which was edible but not good. Room service food was also really bad.

As for the rooms, they were really outdated and dirty. The bed and linens seemed clean but the tile floors and the bathroom were not up to par. I had seen some brown marks in the grout in the shower. It had been there for a few days so I decided to go ahead and try to clean it. It wiped right up, which means housekeeping didn't do a good job. The grout all throughout the room was also quite moldy and gritty (see photos). I sort of understand that the humidity probably plays a factor, but they should probably try to bleach the grout every once in a while. I felt like I was staying at a Motel 6. I even viewed the ocean villas to see if maybe those rooms were better but they weren't. It was the same outdated, dirty room (just closer to the ocean). I actually much preferred our room overlooking the pool and the ocean. The view was a plus by the way.

So all in all, I had mixed feelings about this trip. I had a great time with my family while lounging and swimming in the pools but I was disappointed in the food and the rooms. I will have to say that I can be a little bit of a hotel snob and picky when it comes to food, but I don't think this discounts the lack of cleanliness with respect to the rooms and the lack of quality food. I will definitely look for another hotel the next time around.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your vacation experience and your impressions of Iberostar Cancun.

We are truly sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations; we constantly work to improve the quality of our services so we regret that the rooms were up to your expectations, and cleanliness were not up to the usual high standards. You may rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the Leadership team for appropriate follow-up to make sure all the details that you mentioned are looked into more closely. Your feedback is our most reliable source to locate areas we have to work on, in order to meet our guests’ expectations.

We appreciate our guests bringing their concerns to our attention and giving us the opportunity to address them. Our main goal is to make your experience go beyond expectations.

Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future and have the opportunity to show you our improvements.

Best regards,

clarkwgriswold
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just returned from a weeklong family vacation at the Iberostar Cancun, so I thought I would get this in while everything was fresh in my mind.
All in all, the resort is very nice. You are welcomed by well-groomed grounds and a beautiful lobby and bar area. The pool areas are well maintained and there is generally room for anyone who wants to sit in the pool area. The childrens area also was very nice. The pool bar is decent nice and the bartenders friendly and helpful. The beach area is among the nicest in Cancun and among the largest I have encountered.
The restaurants were also very good. The buffet is decent and well-stocked with good food. The Japanese restaurant was above average and the chefs do a nice job of entertaining the crowd. The steakhouse has a number of nice selections, and the quality of the steak was far superior to what I have had previously in Mexico. The Mexican restaurant was also very good and has wonderful views of the ocean as it is beachfront. The only downside to the Mexican restaurant is that it is not air conditioned, but the sea breeze helps make it tolerable. The Mexican restaurant also has a nice lunch buffet as an alternative to the large buffet. The Gourmet restaurant was exceptional. I had duck that was among the finest duck dishes I have ever experienced. The service at the restaurants is exceptional. We had a young Mayan man named Julio a number of times at the breakfast and lunch buffets and he was wonderfully pleasant and hard working. Remember that while you are not required to tip these folks, that exceptional service should be rewarded and a little tip from you can help them a great deal.
Security was always present around the resort, but they were always unobtrusive. They were always at a distance that they were nearly unnoticeable but always made you feel safe.
Service throughout the resort from the front desk to customer service to housekeeping to the waiters was great.
There is a group of young “Star Friends” that keep the action moving around the pool throughout the day and get the evening shows started. They are all very personable and helpful, but Jesus and Sunday went above and beyond to make sure we had a great time.
The evening shows are just OK. It is very nice to have them on-site at the end of the day rather than have to venture out. Some of the shows were a little cheesy and amateurish. The magic show on Wednesday night was the best show of the week. The Friday night show (“The Perfect Pair”), which is kind of a game show using couples from the resort, was borderline inappropriate for kids.
The rooms are fairly small, but the furnishings are decent and the housekeeping staff does a wonderful job. Another great positive is that you will not hear even a whisper of any type of time share.
Among the resort’s few negatives is room noisiness. The rooms have doors to adjacent rooms for the maid and groups sharing rooms, and this makes it too easy to hear your neighbors. Also, the water pressure in our rooms, which were on the eight floor, was not great. There is no air conditioning in two of the three elevators or in the halls in the room areas, making these areas very uncomfortable on hot days. As with resorts of this nature, there are people who must get up in the middle of the night to “claim” their poolside chairs, which is a little irritating. The resort that solves this problem will settle an industry wide issue! The free wi-fi in the lobby was often overwhelmed and inadequate. In 2013 one should not have to pay for reasonable wi-fi. The resort could do a little better of a job enforcing its dress code and some other rules (like wet swimsuits on upholstered furniture on the lobby).
In summary, we had a great time and I would not hesitate to recommend the Iberostar Cancun.

1 Thank theclarkfamily3
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments and for sharing with us your vacation experience.

We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable because our mission is to offer the best experience for each of our guests, and we love know that during your stay you all were very pleased.

We would like to thank you for pointing the areas where we can work on, as it is very important for us to know the opinion of our guests in order to continuously improve our services.

Our main goal is to make your experience go beyond expectations; we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon!!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife, daughter and I enjoyed a lovely holiday at the Iberostar Cancun. The lobby and reception are impressive and cool in the tropical heat outside. The bar caters for every taste and if you ask for branded drinks it isn't a problem and no extra cost. The restaurants had an excellent variety of food. The Japanese Restaurant was my favourite. The chefs put on a show that was second to none. The superior room we stayed in was roomy, spotlessly clean and had a good view of the ocean. Digital TV would have been an asset, as the 90 channels were mainly in Spanish. The mini bar was stocked daily at no cost. Cleaning services were excellent. The pool area was beautiful. Lots of pools and whilst our daughter is nearly 17 I would recommend the children's pool was amazing, with a galleon and lots of covered areas...well thought out. The pool bars were well stocked and you didn't have to leave your sun lounger to get a drink. The friendly staff were always available. The evening shows were well trout out and the entertainment staff worked hard to keep everyone happy. The shopping centres and marinas of Cancun were a short bus ride a way if you wanted a change of scene. The hotel offered a transfer service to the many clubs of Cancun at 10.30 in the evening. My wife and daughter used the gym which was a little small and busy first thing in the morning. The Spa was reasonably priced and well set out. We travelled with Thomas Cook and I was a impressed wit the hotel and the flights. Would recommend the hotel to families and young couples.

Room Tip: I would choose a superior room for the balcony, with tables and chairs. Arrange this with your trave...
Dear Guest,

We are thrilled to know you had a memorable experience with us!!!

We are glad to know that you enjoyed all the facilities and services in general. For us and all our staff is always a great feeling to know we were able to exceed our guests’ expectations and that they recommend us to future travelers.

Once again thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun for your Holidays; we hope to serve you in the near future.

Iberostar Cancun