“One Week at the Iberostar Cancun”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Iberostar Cancun

Ranked #18 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Leesport, Pennsylvania, USA
“One Week at the Iberostar Cancun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently stayed at the Iberostar Cancun for 8 days in October 2012. The resort was very clean, grounds well maintained,wait staff went at of their way to accomodate you especially Sergio Armando Ku-Yha in the breakfast buffet and Teresa who served drinks on the beach. Capitan Jorje of the wait staff went out of his way to make our stay pleasant. Nice beach and plenty of chairs there and at the pool. Star staff very friendly and full of energy. The only complaint was the room - it felt more like a regular hotel room with very little insulation between rooms - we had very noisy neighbors who liked to slam their closet doors, dresser drawers and front door. Complained at the front desk and was told no other room to move to until the next day but would be on the first floor. Asked about a room with a balcony and was told none available. Would highly recommend upgrading to a room with a balcony overlooking pool and the ocean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank mickthemaus
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive review, especially for your kind comments about the great service provided by our staff.
It's a true pleasure to know that your overall experience with us was enjoyable and met your expectations.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had to experimented in your room, we will share your comment and suggestion with our reception manager in order to improve this kind of situations, comments like yours help us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day.
We are looking forward to welcome you again at Iberostar Cancun.

Iberostar Cancun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,006)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The grounds are beautiful and kept very clean. The drinks were ok, we wished they included more top shelf liquor. They sent us a bottle of champange, but it was not good! They also would not upgrade our room for our honeymoon even though the resort was not busy. That was disappointing! The food was just ok, typical buffet food. The restaurants were big disappointments for a 5 star hotel. The steak did not taste like beef! My husband and I are not picky eaters either. The beach was amazing and clean. Very swimable location in the ocean. Location is good, not to far from attractions/bars. We had a great time, but we would probably not stay again because we would like to try a place with a better food selection. Not a 5 star hotel, but a solid 4. We ate at Secrets The Vine one day and my oh my! The food there is amazing! I think we will try that next time.

Room Tip: Get a room that faces the pool and ocean. The balconys are worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cswyers
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun for your visit and for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay at our resort. We really enjoy reviewing your comments that you enjoyed the friendly, warm, attentive and professional service. We truly appreciate all guest feedback as it provides inspiration to our team and allows us to continuously strive to achieve the utmost level in customer satisfaction. We hope to welcome you back in a near future and have the pleasure to host you!

Quality Manager Iberostar México
attleboro,mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

returned today from a 6 day stay at the iberostar cancun.what a wonderful release from the day to day grind.upon arrival,a super fruit punch was waiting for us.the stretch of beach in front of the hotel is incredible,especially when the wind kicks up.ate at the mexican which was good,the steak house was over the top.mixed drinks are great even when served on the beach.they had a sombrero w/ chocolate liquor,omg! the king size bed was very comfortable,the rooms w/ the ocean front view,were wonderful,surf and a sunrise first thing. this time of year is super if you really like your own space,the resort must have been 5/8-3/4 full.the wait staff is courteous and over-the-top warm.particularly bartolo,adriano,and theresa (drinks on the beach) were so special to us,we'd go back just to see them.highly recommended!!

Room Tip: we had ocean front standard on first floor,all floors seem to have a good view,but if you can afford...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank davedoughy
Dear Guest,

Just a short note to thank you very much for your wonderful review sent to Trip Advisor. Your comments are highly appreciated. Looking forward to have the pleasure of hosting you again and again, receive warm regards from Cancun.

Quality Manager Iberostar Mexico
Baton Rouge, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from Sept. 16-22, 2012. It is just like the Iberostar Paraiso Maya: well maintained, clean, service is good, most employees are very accommodating. However, the food is below average at both hotels. We ate all of our meals at the buffet. The food that is supposed to be chilled (fruit and lettuce) is room temp; the food that is supposed to be hot is barely warm unless you get them to cook it while you wait. This includes food that they have just wheeled out from the kitchen. And we usually arrived when the buffet restaurant had just opened for that respective meal.

Usually at each meal they had chefs at cooking stations to cook what you requested. However, the chefs did not understand English. They could not comprehend that I wanted two eggs, sunny side up. And at dinner, I asked for Chilean Sea Bass and the chef eagerly ran off to get it. He cooked Grouper for me!!

We are from Louisiana where we have the best food in the world. The food here was seasoned but just was not the correct temperature. If we had only stayed 3-4 days, it would have been OK. However, after six days it was getting very old and frustrating.

Also, It would be nice if they removed the middle palapas (thatched roof umbrellas) that are in the middle of the beach because they obstruct the view of the guests who are in the pool by the swim up bar. Those guests cannot see the gorgeous turquoise water.

The ONLY employee that was not accommodating was Guillero, the bartender at the Beach Bar. I requested three times for him to get Smirnoff vodka for that particular bar and he did not oblige. Other than him, everybody else was eager to accommodate our wishes.

I sure wish the Food and Beverage Manager would correct this issue. If this happens we would be glad to return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pcaz
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun for your vacations.
We are truly sorry to read that your experience was not a fulfilling one. After having read your comments, we appreciate you took the time to give us some feedback and point out possible areas of improvement within the resort. I would like to also take this chance to share with you that we work every day to give the best service. For that reason we will share your comment with our manager of the restaurants. In regards to your comments about the food we will share your suggestions with our head Chef in order to have all the food with the correct temp.
One more time thank you for your review, we are confident to be able to offer you our hospitality again under the best conditions at our hotel.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Cancun 11/2 - 11/8. At first, everything was great. The resort is pretty (I love the 8 pools) and it never seemed crowded. On day three in the afternoon I starting experiencing horrible abdominal pain. I went up to my room and my husband purchased some Pepto; it did absoultely nothing. Within an hour I had severe diarrhea and vomiting. After six hours, the symptoms had not subsided and I was forced to request the on call physician come to my room. The physician gave me an injection to stop the vomitting and diarrhea and a prescription for antibiotics. I was also instructed to drink Pedialite to replace electrolytes as I was severely dehydrated. I spent two days in my room. My husband and I spent over $300 on excursions that we could not take and the company would not refund our money even though we told them there was a medical emergency. I also have a bill for over $200 from the doctor. This was my 5th visit to Cancun and I love it's beauty and people, but, the resorts must step up their hygiene/food preparation practices to prevent guests from going through what I went through, such as:
1. The staff should ensure that everyone entering a restaurant use hand sanitizer as they enter the restaurant.
2. The food is left out too long in the buffet. Old food should be removed periodically and replenished with fresh food.
3. Children should not be allowed to go to the buffet unattended.
As I stated in my intro, my vacation was ruined by something that is preventable with proper hygiene practices.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JRW616
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments, we do our best to provide our dear guests with an exceptional service and we are really glad to know we accomplished our goal. We will be more than happy to welcome you and your family again soon here to the Iberostar Cancun.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was our first trip to Cancun and we decided to make a week-long vacation to Cancun because of their beautiful beaches. We booked our flight and stay at Iberostar Cancun on American Airlines Vacations and all was what we expected. The beaches really are stunning with blue water and white sand like all the pictures you see. Daily vendors will come up to you on the beach and it is ok some days and others annoying. The current was rough outside the Iberostar beach but flags and lifeguards are on duty and average to excellent swimmers should be fine. The hotel is located on the south end of the hotel zone so taxi, bus or rental car is recommended if wanting to explore. We decided to rent a car from CUN which the rental process was cheap, free to stay at Iberostar and easy BUT beware driving in Mexico overall. We experienced our only complaint on this vacation and issue with the Cancun Police pulling us over for "speeding" on our way to CUN returning home from the hotel zone; needless to say it is an illegal practice that many Mexican police are still doing to visitors and there are many blogs about this issue. Again, our only serious complaint. Back to the Iberostar, beautiful hotel with great staff. We stayed late October and the hotel is about 50% occupancy so no lines and no wait for almost everything. You can make dinner reservations for up to 3 restaurants at a time so I recommend doing that with the concierge once you arrive. Our preference of the restaurants listed best to worst were: French, Japanese, Mexican and Steak. French-good food, classy dining. Japanese-fun atmosphere decent food. Mexican-beach only dining, 1/2 buffet dining. Steak-American, 1/2 buffet dining. You'll see the main buffet and Mexican Restaurant really have the best views of the beach. The snack bar is just a hot dog and hamburger lunch spot but hamburgers are pretty good considering. The sports bar is pretty small and the only time a crowd was there was during evening karaoke. The theatre has good entertainment considering, our favorite shows were the Boogie Nights and Musical Night. I must caution at night the theatre can be very loud so if you are trying to sleep for an early morning excursion you WILL hear the music the closer your room is to the theatre. Also, it can be loud if your room is near the "smoker's patio" outside the lobby bar because this area has people at all times of the night and they are loud. You'll also hear room doors slamming at all hours which can be annoying. NOTE: All these sounds can be blocked with your AC running though. AC was cold but never freezing cold in the room. I believe all rooms are ocean view room but not all have full balconies. You can see the sunset on the lagoon side but no real easy location on property to sit and watch sunsets. We had a simple basic room and the room is fine for 2 max guests. We found the shower to be a pain with leaking but nothing some towels couldn't soak up. Overall the Iberostar Cancun is a beautiful hotel with one of the largest beaches in the Hotel Zone. For an all-inclusive it works well. The pool with walk up pool bar is great and overlooks a blue ocean. We did find our trip to Cancun had MANY pushy salesmen everywhere we went: Cancun Hotel Zone Flea Market, Cancun Centro, Playa del Carmen, and even Chitza Itza. It gets sooooo ANNOYING! Again, I'm putting the good with the bad on this review so you know what to expect but OVERALL the hotel is great, weather was great. Remember to TIP all the staff at Iberostar because they are working for tips and sadly we did not see many guests tipping. Every day we tipped everyone that helped us out and you know they are grateful and it is money well deserved.

Room Tip: Night noise from patio off lobby and noise from theatre from night show.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your experience at Iberostar Cancun. We are very proud to hear that your really enjoyed all the facilities and you loved the good service that we have at our hotel, we like that our guest would feel like a star.

At the same time we are very sorry to hear that your experience outside our resort was less than favorable, we can assure you that guest safety is our highest priority. Situations like the one you describe should definitely not happen. We hope to see you again in the future.

the Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was our 11th stay in Mexico, having before always stayed in hotels in the Riviera Maya, this year we decided to stay in Cancun. Because we had very good experiences with Iberostar (having stayed in the Grand Paraiso, Maya, Lindo and del Mar) we decided to try Iberostar Cancun. This turned out to be an excellent decision.

Below find our impressions:

Arrival:
When you arrive a bellboy escorts you to the lobby. The lobby is very impressive with lots of marble. Check in went smoothly and efficient.

Rooms:
There are different categories rooms but they all have breathtaking views of the ocean. We had a Junior Suite with a huge balcony with Jacuzzi with on one side view of the ocean and on the other side view of the golf course and lagune, really spectacular. The rooms are well maintained. The bed is very comfortable! They assign a specific housekeeper to a room, in our case Mirna. She did a very good job! Once you stay there, as we did, for a long period you can notice if they are really cleaning instead of tidying up and they really did that!! She was also responsible for restocking the mini bar. We had 2 minor issues with a plug in the Jacuzzi and the lock of the door. We reported this and Maintenance came literally within minutes and fixed the issues immediately, we were very impressed.

Grounds:
The grounds are stunning and kept immaculate. You always see gardeners and maintenance people working and they are doing a very good job! They have several pools including a beautiful infinity pool with a very nice view on the ocean. They are constantly cleaning the pools early in the morning as well as in the evening. There are plenty of chairs as well as palapas (for shade) available. Despite this we saw some people playing ‘the towel game’, very annoying and totally unnecessary. On any given moment of every day there were lot of chairs available at the pool side as well as on the ocean side. They provide you with towel cards upon arrival. Always plenty of clean towels available at the towel hut. They also have their own golf course, we don’t play but heard it is the biggest golf course in Cancun. It is huge and looks very impressive, is situated at the opposite end of the road. Besides this they also have their own football field as well as tennis courts. It is very easy to travel with the bus, you can get a bus in front of the hotel, costs pesos 8,50 per person. The busses go almost every minute and are a very safe and cheap option to travel.

Beach:
The beach is stunning, in fact the most beautiful beach we have seen so far. The water is crystal clear and the sand is white and powdery. It is very easy to get in the ocean, no rocks, so no need for water shoes. The beach is very wide and long. More than enough chairs and palapas and not piled on top of each other. On the one side of the property is the public beach area (quite a distance away) and on the other hand hotels (also a quite distance away). You can walk easily on the beach and we noticed that Iberostar definitely has the biggest beach property. There is a bar located on the beach area, also they have beach waiters which will ask you regularly if you would like something to drink.

Pools:
They have several pools (and 2 Jacuzzi’s) including an infinity pool with a swim up bar. At one side of the pool the Star Friends had many activities.

Restaurants:
For breakfast and lunch they have 2 buffet restaurant. For lunch they also have a snack bar. The quality of the buffets was very good with lots of choices. At the buffet there are always cooks who prepare several types of meats, fish as well as pasta (cooked to your order). The waiters are always very friendly and give excellent service. The tables have very nice linen and always look nice. We were shocked to see that some people would sit with wet swimwear on the chairs, leaving these totally wet for next guests. Outside on the terrace are also tables with wooden chairs, we think the hotel should enforce with wet clothes to take a seat out there. No means the fault of the hotel but is seems some people have no manners.
For the evenings there is a choice between buffet or the à la carte restaurants. For the à la carte restaurants you have to make a reservation at Guest Services.

Japanese: we only ate here once because we are not big fans of this type of food. Having said that the quality was good.

Gourmet: we ate here several times. This restaurant has the most classy ambiance. My husband loved the lobster salad and the lambs rack. All the food (but this applies to all the restaurants) is very good.

Mexican: we ate here the most because we love Mexican food. The appetizers as well as dessert are buffet. Restaurant has very nice atmosphere and is in fact located on the beach. They have an open kitchen where you can see the cook prefer the food. We loved the tortilla soup! Javier is the Manager here and he made sure that we had a very nice dinner on our wedding anniversary. Thanks again Javier as well as Josue and Miguel.

Steak house: we ate here several times. Inside the restaurants lots of wood and nice decorations. The appetizers as well as dessert are buffet. The food here was also very good (as in all restaurants).

In all the restaurants you can enjoy a variety of drinks with your meal. The house wines are very good, you can also make a choice from the wine list with wines you have to pay for.
In all the restaurants the staff were extremely friendly and gave great service. We would like to thank everyone but in special: Javier, Josue, Eduardo, Jorge, Marlon, Israel, Leonardo, Miguel, Rafael, Adriano and Nolberto.

Lobby bar:
The lobby bar is placed at the end of the lobby and is very big. You can sit at the bar or at tables or big chairs. Lots of options to choose from and great service. We would like to thank Jhoana for always bringing us Xtbantun with a great smile  .

Entertainment:
The Star Friends are responsible for the entertainment. During the days they organize lot of activities as for example beach volleyball, archery, rifle shooting, bingo, crazy games etc. During the evening they have shows in the big outside theater in which the Star Friends also participate. They are doing a great job and make very long days! We would like to thank in special Francisco, Jesus, Brisa and Sunday.

Service:
Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We noticed that not a lot of guests are tipping. We did because the wages are not high and they can really use this. So please bring dollars and tip! The level of service is excellent this is illustrated by the following. On our return flight we were denied boarding because the plane was overbooked….. We then returned to Iberostar late in the evening and were welcomed very friendly and were checked in again within literally one minute. Our airline company (ArkeFly) then left us completely to our own devices. Thanks to Mario Bernegger we were able to book a return flight with another airline and were finally able to return home with a delay of 5 days. The hotel helped us with everything as calling the airline etc. Thanks very much for this to Mario, Adanari and Isis. We wouldn’t have know what to do without your help!!

We really enjoyed our stay and hope to return next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dundee0801
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your detailed and sweet review. We love to hear that you had a great time with us and liked our facilities! And we love hearing when our staff members are helpful. Thank you for taking the time to mention that Mario, Ada and Isis offered you the best service.
We look forward to see you again at Iberostar Cancun.