“Iberostar WiFi Rip-Off”

Ranked #18 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Iberostar WiFi Rip-Off”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Recently stayed at this property in May...I have Two complaints.
1. WiFi is $15 USD per DAY....YES!!! $15 per DAY!! What a money grab for a leisure resort.
The Hotel pays once for WiFi, why are they gouging the guests? I could understand $15 per week perhaps. Even Conde'Nast Travel Magazine agrees that charging for WiFi is Shameful! The is World is going wireless and the Iberostar Hotel properties better get in line as many other resorts in Cancun have WiFi for FREE!

2. The hotel wants you to pay in Pesos at check out. No Problemo.....but ...the posted exchange rate at the hotel is Peso-USD=10.20 pesos.. alls good. So for example, if your room was $100.00 USD/nt you would owe $1020.00 pesos/nt..so you would think. What you actually pay is another exchange rate even LOWER than 10.20 pesos posted. The secret unposted rate the hotel charges you comes to around another $15 USD..So your room in effect has gone up to $115 USD per night...more that what you made your reservation and were quoated at!! Is this Legal?? This is Blatent In Your Face Arrogant Robbery!! Unbeleivable!!
So take US CASH. convert it to PESOS at their posted rate and then pay them in PESOS like they want. Its the only way to ease the gouge.

So Iberostar...I HOPE you listening. Practices like this will NOT be tolerated by the public.
Its time you made some serious changes or this property will be changing its sign again..
Hilton..Iberostar..???

Your best bet is to take Canadian cash anyhow...it has a much highter rate at the moment than the US dollar.

Room Tip: All Rooms Face the Ocean~
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
15 Thank Executive88
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your vacation experience and your impressions. We are very sorry to hear that your experience was less than favorable.
You may rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the Leadership team for appropriate follow-up. Thank you for your review.
Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,022)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed May 21, 2012

On April 5th, 2012, I arrived in Cancun, to spend a week at the Iberostar Cancun. I was very much looking forward to my stay at this newly renovated resort, as I am a big fan of Cancun. I had booked a "Master" suite, with 2 bathrooms, and from what I was told, had incredible beach views, and was ocean front. Unfortunately, I learnt that although there was some views of the ocean, the only suites that are actually Ocean Front, with the amazing , head on views, that were in the pics I received prior to booking, are the 9 "Junior Suites", with only 1 bathroom. I decided to downgrade to the Junior Suite, as I was assured there would be a price adjustment, and I really preferred the view, and the fantastic outdoor tub on the balcony. Only days later, I would truly regret giving up that extra bathroom. Alberto, Roberto, and the other bar staff at the main bar near the elevators, in the lobby, were very nice, and make good drinks, the glass ware at this bar is the cleanest. The only off putting thing,that first day, was seeing a well dressed woman, vomiting into a lobby trash can. They have the silver tubular cans, with the ash tray tops, so you can imagine, how horrible that was. The first night meal was delicious, we had the Japanese restaurant, Tepanyaki style seating and food prep. We had a great sleep that first night, and started our day with an amazing breakfast, at the main buffet, which is just a spectacular array of anything and everything one could want. As a Canadian, with a home in the United States, and a lifetime of travelling for work, I am an actor, I do not over indulge in the food of a new environment, to avoid any food sensitivities, or illness. I also don't eat fried foods. I was very impressed with all the healthy choices available, and felt it safe to eat, as I have stayed in Cancun at least a dozen times, in the past 20 years, and have never gotten very ill, maybe the occasional upset stomach. Nothing serious. So we ate breakfast, and went to lay by the pool. Was a bit surprised by the men in the super hero outfits. There was Bat Man, Super Man, Robin and a Power Ranger. They were there to entertain the adults, as well as the children. I found this a bit odd, but to each his own. I also observed that there were a few toddlers, and babies in the adult pool near the beach, with the swim up bar. They had diapers on. I asked a nice French man, who was in charge of the pool entertainment area, if that was allowed. To have diaper wearing babies, clearly under the age of three, in the pool. He said there is no rule, in that regard, but will go check to see if the diaper is clean or not. I ventured into the pool that day, to get a diet soda, from the swim up bar. I could not drink it, because there was fruit stuck to the inside of the glass, and lipstick. I asked for a clean glass, and noticed that the outside bar just use some water to rinse (quickly) used glasses, as there seems to be a shortage of the plastic pool cups. So they are not really clean. An older gentleman, threw up his pina colada into the pool. I got out fast. My husband and I headed back to our suite, in the 03 units, the last room, on the end, with the good view. We both had slightly distended stomachs, and a bit of discomfort. We had a light dinner at the steakhouse, and watched a show, the show was not good, very little effort was put into the show, compared to other resorts, within the same price range. Well, I will get to the point, as to why we will never return to Iberostar Cancun. We ate only on the resort, never left to eat. We had the French, and Mexican restaurants, as well as the buffet. By day 4, I had a fever, and was violently ill. So was my husband. So were our friends from Portland, Oregon, and our friend from Toronto, ON, also on the same trip. My husband was trying to get me help, the whole place goes on lockdown during the night. We were promised a doctor. No one came. We were in such terrible shape, my husband called Air Canada, and booked us on the first available flight home. We were weak and dizzy, and barely made it home. I was diagnosed with e-coli, and was given Cipro antibiotic. I am still sick. I tried contacting Iberostar, just to get some answers, and the money back they promised, with no luck. My husband is also still very sick, as well as our friends. The feeling I got there was that they either were not equipped to handle guests getting sick, or they refused to acknowledge that a guest was really sick. Either way, I am still suffering, and I hope to prevent others from going through this. I usually only write "nice" reviews, but this resort is terrible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
21 Thank RobertaAngelica
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your vacation experience and your impressions. We are very sorry to hear that your stay was less than favorable.
Please know your experience is the exception and not the rule. I assure that your feedback has been shared with the Leadership team for appropriate follow-up.
We wish to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences and look forward to welcome you again to our resort, hopefully under brighter circumstances.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 20, 2012

At first, I thought this is just another resort with bad food, ordinary rooms, and OK service. That was until I tried to leave the hotel at around 5am to catch a flight at 7am. My roommate had a later flight and she would be checking out in the afternoon. I was stopped while trying to take a cab and was not allowed to leave the hotel until either I paid the outstanding bill or they called and woke up my roommate to verify that she would pay the bill.

I have never been treated like a criminal who is trying to run away from a hotel. Two rude receptionists and a concierge (bouncer) earn the big price for the worst service in the hospitality (!) business, worldwide. Congratulations! After ten minutes and a sleepy roommate answering the phone I was paroled.

Thanks to Iberostar, I have accomplished a first and posted on Trip Advisor. If you want to have a good vacation and do not want to be called a thief, stay away from Iberostar Cancun.

BTW: They also held up my roommate and tried to make her pay again for the bill she has already paid.

Room Tip: No room choice will be safe from rude behavior and bad food.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
13 Thank Prof-at-BU
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experimented upon check-out. This is certainly not the memory we intended for you to take with you.
We have share your comments with our Director and the involved Department Heads to make sure the service details that you mentioned are looked more closely.

Montana
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed at this resort in April 2012. As you can see from the pictures, the pool area is sprawling and the beach is beautiful! The golf course looks beautiful, but I didn't play. The spa pool is open to any guest to use and is really nice and relaxing--I would suggest checking it and the showers in that area out. I think this is a good resort for families, couples or singles. The entertainment staff is awesome! Whether you want to participate or just watch -- it's fun. I have been to several resorts and the entertainment at this resort was by far some of the best ever. The shows are incredible in a big beautiful theatre. The rooms are nice, but as this used to be a Hilton hotel, they are just simply hotel rooms. Beds are very comfortable. Service was fantastic -- drinks brought to you very promptly. I really liked the swim up bar which seemed to be the most popular place to go--drinks without getting out of the pool, beautiful infinity pool and awesome beach/ocean view. The children's pool area is great for young children (pictures will be posted). I didn't talk to any teens so I don't know what they thought of the entertainment program. As I was checking in, a family was leaving and the little girl did NOT want to leave--that was good advertisement! My only complaint - buffets for breakfast and lunch are the only options, except a small bar with grilled burgers and hot dogs. I like someone to wait on me while on vacation! The buffets were enormous with a good variety of food, but I personally would prefer at least one other choice at lunch time. I would highly recommend this resort to families with small childlren--it's not huge so not a lot of walking and great pool areas and entertainment; highly recommend to golfers--beautiful course at a great resort. Couples and singles will also have fun. It's not far from town and you can catch a city bus right outside the resort to go downtown. Staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views--some have very nice balconies. If you can afford it, go for the suit...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Terri A
Dear guest We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun for you vacations and for your very nice comments !! We are very glad to know you experienced a fantastic time with us.
Please come back soon to visit us here at your second home in Mexico.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

If this resort were not in Mexico it would be closed down for several reasons. I do not ever post on Tripadvisor but felt compelled to warn other unsuspecting traveler's . My wife and I got so violently ill that we had to check out early and gladly forfeit money paid in advance just to get the hell out of there. The staff did not seem to care, I asked several times to see a doctor and was told someone would call & it never happened. Both my wife and I were diagnosed with Ecoli - and were given Cipro as it was very severe ... we are still not right after a month now. The pools are filled with babies with diapers and the glasses are reused without being washed, people throwing up in garbage cans etc... all I can say is BEWARE of this resort.. it is not what is being advertised & good luck communicating with IBEROSTAR head office as it is so hidden away in SPAIN and they will not speak to you unless you are buying a vacation package....besides all that the room promised was nothing like I was told...they tell you what you want to hear .... if you do still go even after reading this, opt for the 2 bathroom suite as you will need it! one more thing...this Resort is at the end of the strip next to the public beach & several of the locals are inside the resort.

Room Tip: Only good rooms are Ocean Front Junior Suites ( only 9 that face pool / ocean in the resort)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
22 Thank RF1155019
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed for 4 nights 5 days and had a very relaxing time. The entertainment staff was very fun and always made sure we had a great time. The scene was made up of lots of couples and families so if that is what you are looking for this is a perfect hotel. The rooms were very clean and we had the junior suite with our own jacuzzi and it was well worth the extra money. The view from our balcony was breathtaking!

We booked our trip through TripGuy and was so impressed with the service we received from Mitch! He took care of everything from booking the hotel to making sure we got to our hotel safely. I can say enough about how easy he made our trip. Thank you Mitch!

Christine N

Room Tip: I would spend the extra money for the junior suite - well worth the money!
Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christine N
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking your valuable time to post this review! We pride ourselves on creating personable and memorable experience for our guests. We thank you for your loyalty....it means a lot to us and makes us strive even harder to achieve our goals as a company.

We await your next visit !!!
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We just returned from our trip on May 2. The hotel and accomodations were great, food great, entertainment great. This was a really relaxing vacation and the people who work there work very hard. The daily social activities people Arno, Arturo, Jesus, Victor all made the days even more enjoyable. I would recomend this resort to everyone. Norberto in the buffet dining room was always a pleasure to see. I enjoyed Iberogrammy night the cast was excellent and very talented. Keep up the good work we enjoyed every minute.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kathy M
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cancun, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cancun and for your very nice comments! We are glad to know you experienced a fantastic. It means a lot to us and makes us strive even harder to achieve our goals as a company

Please come back soon as we would love to receive you again.

Best regards,