“Likely the best on the strip... but still Cancun”

Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort
Ranked #14 of 180 Hotels in Cancun
Winnipeg
“Likely the best on the strip... but still Cancun”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is one of the best Inter-Continental Hotels. Especially their Club Floor. I've stayed at this location several times when arriving or departing the Mayan Riveria area. Although the building is a little older, the rooms are up-to-date and the beach is excellent.

Room Tip: Club Floor with balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 21, 2013

After fantastic Cozemul Presidente experience this Hotel was an absolute let down. There are many many choices to stay in Cancun. But do not choose this one. After long journey from Cozemul, upon check in the receptionist informed us that they shall be charging extra $35/day for my child. I showed her my confirmed online reservation document that clearly indicated the rate with one child under 12 yr old. She refused to accept my online reservation telling me that central reservation system made a mistake. If there is a mistake then they should honor it. Yes, she did finally accepted it after my insisting on calling the manager. - Right there i had a sour experience before even i walked into the room. And i had booked ocean view (paid extra). She gave me on the 3rd floor overlooking pool. If you do intend to stay here.....recommend highly to eat outside. There is a great bus service or take a cab to the mall called la Isla. I know you want to eat local cuisine....but try this....Incredible choices. At this mall MUST EAT AT diner called MADONNA! Excellent italian cuisine with amazing decor.

Room Tip: Dont ask for ocean view...it is a rip off....ocean is way far and you end up seeing pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jay p
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Jay p,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the accommodations and service you received prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Older looking from outside, but the rooms are renovated and VERY nice! We had 228 with a view into the garden. Even numbered rooms have view towards the hotel garden and those on higher floors also to the sea. Odd numbered rooms overlook Avenida Kukulkán (the main street) and eventually the lagoon behind it.

Location is perfect, you can walk to Coco Bongo and the entertainment center of Cancun in about 10 - 15 minutes. Beach is beautiful, wide with palm trees. The hotel has two big pools. I don´t know if it is because the hotel is smaller or because it was not full, but there was lots of space everywhere, free sunbeds, we did not have to fight for good spots and that felt really good!

I did not find the prices in their restaurant too high (as some reviews mention).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The Hotel has a good location on the beach. The lobby is Mexican Modern. The staff was friendly. The room was large and the shower was good. The breakfast was outstanding. The breakfast was included in our room rate. The hotel is a little dated but still a good choice.

Room Tip: ASk for a room facing the beach.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 13, 2013

First of all, I like to say to the post by Ivan_Safronov. His post is not a hotel review, but a review of the ihg.com and their reward members. You only posted 1 review which is this to complaint about the reward club but not about the actual hotel. As a tripadvisor member, I really wish I have the power to ban your ip from the face of the earth.

Now back to topic. Before I put my review for this hotel, I am a Plat IHG member, and not a ambassador status with IC.

I book my stay last month in Oct for this month 4 nights since it was my b-day. When we arrive at the hotel, the lobby seem really neat, and nice. I had read previous review regarding this was an old hotel that had gone through a lot of renovations. The staff for the check in were very friendly, well the females only. The males give us a lot of attitude, especially the ones that work at the bars. I book a regular room, and they give me a room 1st floor with hammock balcony which was really cool. Now to the actual review of the room.

The room was hard stone/ fake marble floors. Beds were comfy enough. Everything was the IC standard, which I have been to few. The only things I did not like were the bathroom. The Bathtube were old, or broken?? it feel soft floor for the bathtube, and it will hold a bit of waters. I'm guess they did not do a correct installation or something. They also need to add a fan or air vent in there, or else you need to open the bathroom door to air out the steams or things. The beaches were very nice, and pool staff were nice too.

Also, if your trying to keep budget for this hotel I would suggest:

Eat muffin or sandwich which sells at the lobby for 350 Peso / 660 Peso.
Their restaurant price is comparable to local restaurants, so save some walk and eat there instead.
Bus is right outside, so is very easy to get to downtown or the port for ferry. 9.5 Peso each way.
If you don't want to eat at the hotel, go across to the right side of hotel, for cheap sushi (in another review.)

Also the Hotel do have breakfast for manual 8 - 14 dollars, or Buffet style of either $250 Peso or 25 Dollar which I forgot per person.

Room Tip: Old hotel, you can hear the rooms if they are a bit loud............
1 Thank Travelbabyboy
Colorad
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This hotel is easy to decipher; awesome beach/waterfront, staff, and remodeled rooms. Club Level F&B better than expected. The singular problem for me was this hotel failed to deliver an authentic Mexican vacation experience. The lobby and restaurants were eerily quiet by day, reminiscent of a nursing home, and no real difference in the evening, other than looped American videos played in the lobby bar at night. I wonder why the lobby bar never attracted a crowd. No live DJs or Mariachi bands required, but a little effort to deliver some atmosphere anywhere in the hotel could make a real difference. Thanks Gregorio, Gustavo and others, and will return when prescribed by doctor to abstain from any and all stimulation or excitement of ANY kind.

Room Tip: Only sixth floor has balconies.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear colorado321,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering a world class experience. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. Thank you again for your comments.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Millville, New Jersey
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was our second time back to the Presidente this year, and again it exceeded our expectations. The staff is so helpful, kind and just fun to be with. They cater to your needs without being overbearing. The value for the price is good. Some locals stay over the weekends and gives the guests a great chance to interact with the locals. We've made some great new friends there. The food is good, the staff awesome, the beach the best in Cancun, and the location great! If you're looking for a "jumping place" where the booze flows, the people party all night, and you're staggering back to your room...this isn't the place for you. If you want great rooms (newly renovated), a real family atmosphere, good food at a reasonable price and the opportunity to interact with the staff, locals and management...this is the hotel for you. On many of our stays, the General Manager, Natalie has personally greeted us. All the employees call us by name and wait on our every need. Being at the Ambassador level in the IHG family of hotels, this hotel rates very high on our score card. As one TV commercial said; "Try it...you'll like it!"

Room Tip: Beach view rooms overlook the pool, restaurants, beach and sea. However, the lagoon facing rooms giv...
1 Thank SirTravelor
Nathalie U, Gerente at Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Welcome back to our hotel. Thank you for choosing our hotel once again for your vacations. I am glad to hear we contributed in making your trip a memorable one. We hope to have you again in the near future, and we remain at your service.

Nathalie Urban