“Most Relaxing Vacation in Years!”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #22 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 22, 2014

spent one glorious week with 4 kids (10 - 15yrs old) in the 5 trident space at this club med (our 4th club med trip). As with previous trips, staff and facilities were superb. So friendly and connecting with guests several times each day. VERY social place. Kids LOVED variety of sports activities available all day, every day. Food was fresh and facilities and rooms were all extremely clean and well maintained.

Can't wait to return with our reunion group to this location!

Room Tip: Almost all rooms are water view...if not ocean, garden rooms look onto river/inlet also.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank ctgreenes

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Club Med Yucatan bills itself as a family resort and as the top resort in Mexico for families. Our experience at this resort left us not wanting to return.

As far as making our reservations for the resort, things went very smoothly. The club med reservation specialists were friendly and helpful. My only issue was that the airport-resort transportation was $60. We should have just gotten a cab which would have been more cost effective. The transfer to the resort was a shiny black SUV. Our ride back was a dumpy old van.

Checking into the hotel was fine. Everyone was very friendly. Our room was not ready yet, which was a bummer, because we were traveling with two hot and sleep deprived children. We did go to the buffet to wait for our room to be ready. The welcoming crew showed us briefly around the hotel, offered us these smelly cool towels to clean up before giving us glasses of water. It was nice but the towels should have been clean. When I first got to the buffet the staff was friendly but the plates were not clean (there was a lot of dried crusties and the glasses were foggy). There is a wide selection of food and the best thing there is the guacamole. The chips were almost always stale. My boyfriend liked the salad bar.

After the buffet, we went to find our room but weren't sure where to go. I had to track down a staff person to show us where to go. One downside is that there are no elevators in the buildings, but the plus is that the club med staff takes your bags to your room for you. Our room was on the third floor, away from much of the noise of the pool area. We booked two adjoining rooms for the adults and the other room for the kids and their nanny. I must say, I was very disappointed in the room. First, the air conditioner is very loud and at night it doesn't work very well. Sometimes it makes the room really cold and other times it doesn't seem to be working. The rooms are painted bright pink (a horrible color) and it smells like mold. The curtains were dirty and the wall had a huge crack in it. Our alarm clock had a CD player in it and was broken and had some sort of gross stains on the side. The lamp shades had holes in them. The closets have ample storage space. The bathroom and shower are separate. The bathroom was very dark and our toilet wouldn't flush properly. The shower was moldy and wouldn't drain properly. I had to call the front desk 4 times before anyone came to fix the drain (which wasn't even the problem, the issue turned out to be that the drain was not placed at the lowest part of the shower). Thus, every shower entailed me wearing my flip flops and standing in an inch of dirty water. I was not happy.

Your room will be the only place with air conditioning. Every place else has fans with the exception of the steak restaurant which turns the air on for a bit and then turns it off. I took the kids to this place for a snack at 4pm. It was so hot in there that we had to leave. It was actually hotter in the restaurant than it was outside.

The breakfast buffet is the best meal of the day. I ate a lot at breakfast because the other meals are really not that great. Any dinner meal like crab cakes are made with fake crab, the lobster tails and crab claws are previously frozen and very watery. The best food is the mexican cuisine. Don't try the desserts, they are horrible. The cakes are just awful and inedible. The ice cream is too sweet with the exception of the coconut ice cream. For dessert, I usually just had fruit. The mango and coconut were my personal favorites.

The alcohol is a different story. It is watered down. I couldn't even get a buzz. The bar near the pool/towel area makes horrible drinks. The drinks at the other bar are fine but vary greatly from one bartender to the next.

The beach is lovely but crowded. The lounge cushions are filthy with spilled food, dirt etc and need to be cleaned on a regular basis.

The gym is adequate but lacks proper air conditioning. I worked out most days and was so incredibly hot.

The WIFI costs $60 and it REALLY does NOT work at all. Total rip off.

The front desk staff are not very helpful and don't seem to know what they are doing. When I tried to make a dinner reservation they said the system wasn't working. When we tried to check out, the woman had no idea how to work the amex machine. It took us 20 minutes to check out.

The staff: Overall, I found the instructors to be completely unprofessional with the exception of the circus crew. Two of the waterski GO's were extremely rude to my friend. When they were teaching her how to get up, and she wasn't getting it, they told her "we told you this already". The major issue was with some of the French GO's who couldn't seem to figure out customer friendly ways of putting things. For example. we went to the waterski area and were told it was closed, when it was very clearly open and when we were there during open hours. The GO should have said first that he is very sorry but the waterski list for the day is full up until 5pm. For some reason, this particular GO was never taught any customer service skills.

I had other issues with the tennis staff. Both need to understand that they need to wear deodorant. Also, I was completely offended by one of them who kept inviting me to go to some disco dance party (I get that he was trying to engage a guest to get involved in an activity) but he crossed a line when he started suggesting that I just have fun with him and basically tried to get me to cheat on my boyfriend. I was shocked and it made it really awkward to play tennis. I had to try to avoid him for the rest of the trip. He was completely unprofessional.

The kids club: This club was a bad experience all over. We enrolled both children in the club and neither enjoyed it. The first day of club happened to be on the French Independence Holiday. The kids are American. When we went to check on the kids, we saw them walking in a parade, in 90 degree heat wearing long sleeve dresses. The youngest one was walking right behind the GO and was crying. The oldest one was clearly too hot. The GO did nothing to help either of them and in fact told our girls that they were not allowed to take the clothing off. We pulled the younger out who was crying and shaking. The instructor had pushed and shoved her twice to keep her moving and almost caused her to fall over. I complained to the manager of the kids club and to the village director. Both seemed to care more about forcing the kids to participate in this ridiculous parade and put the children's health and well-being second. I did not feel that the children were safe in kids club. The kids Club GO's also did not reapply sunscreen which caused the girls to get burned faces. The GO's need to be able to put the kids first and do whatever it takes to protect them.

On another occasion, I saw a kids club GO chasing down a crying child who was actually running away from the GO screaming for her mother. I am not sure what kind of a kids club they are trying to run, but it is not being done properly.

Other activities: The activities are good and there is a plenty to do at the resort. These GO's are a problem though. They are like camp counselors that think they are some sort of resort celebrities. They are generally rude, cannot solve problems, and are fake nice to guests. The really awkward thing is that the GO's try to join your table for dinner. We ended up sitting at smaller tables so we could avoid these awkward situations. We had one very friendly girl join us for dinner. She just began to eat when a woman from reception came and (1) interrupted our conversation and (2) told the GO that she had to go help sing happy birthday. We thought this was very rude and unprofessional on the part of the woman from reception.

Our family will not be returning to any Club Med. It was an utter disappointment.

12  Thank oakesj2
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed with my kid on the last week of June 2014, and even though I would classify our stay as good, I would think twice about recommending it to just anybody. The Club Med is an all inclusive with a great activity program. If your idea of a vacation is just lying under the sun, you might be better served going into another hotel. If you are looking to keep busy and learn a sport or two, this is the place to be.

This Med has a first class activity infrastructure. Whether it is waterskiing, tennis, sailing, snorkeling or trapeze you won't be able to get a better deal in Cancun. The activities are scheduled and designed so most any folk can have a try at them or become masters. The GOs (instructures) are well qualified and most of them have a really helpful attitude. If you like to keep busy during the day, make sure to note when each activity will be open and the appropriate age bracket for each time.

The food is also a great plus. The chefs put pride into their dishes and you will be treated to a variety of international food, as well as a taste of the Mexican cuisine. The buffets include fishes, pasta, poultry, meat, salads, and some regional specialties (sushi, pizza, hamburgers, tacos and other Mexican specialties). When you eventually get tired of the buffet there are three "a la carte" restaurants, but you will need to make a reservation and they can be hard to come by.

On the negative side, the property is indeed aging, and even some of the rooms have been upgraded this is not the case for all of them. If you get stuck with an old room, you will find small beds, a mediocre view and a dark environment. The cleaning staff will make sure that the room gets cleaned, but dark floors and many nook will always leave you wondering. I found in bad taste the fact that there are warning signs threatening with eviction in case of drug use.

The property is spread through a road and the buildings were designed poorly. As a result of these getting most anywhere in the hotel takes a while and a bit of walking. There is a bus which will shuttle you up and down, but it only runs across half of the property.

There is a single pool, but it is small and lacks luster. This last problem is alleviated by the beautiful blue ocean and impeccable white sandy beach. One incredible thing I found about the sand on the beach is it will not scorch your feet, even walking barefooted on a sunny summer day.

Three bars are on the premise. Two of them nearby the beach and pool. There is a beachboy who will bring you your drinks, but he is entirely overwhelmed, so if you want to order anything from the bar, be prepared to get it yourself. Bartenders will happily prepare you most any drink you wish for, but they can be overworked.

As I said before, most of the GOs have a really helpful attitude, but this is not the case for all of them. In my stay I found two of them to be pushy and in a case outright insulting. I am not sure if this is a "cultural" issue, but in one instance I filed a complain. Reporting them to management did bring limited results, but I found my overall experience to be shadowed by these two cases.

Room Tip: The property is layed through a long strech of land. Building 1 to 3 will be near the pool, lobby an...
2  Thank Javier M
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I would definitely go back! We we arrived to the airport in Cancun, we were confused where to go as it was our first time. We asked this lady who spoke English where to go to be picked up and taken to the resort. She told us Window 4, which was a booth. She began to pressure us into buying a time share at another hotel, The Casa Maya. So when you get to the airport, watch out for that! We went outside and a few minutes later we were on our way to the resort! When the car pulled us up to the lobby, we saw it was so beautiful. The beach was light blue and the sand was so white. Beautiful. They gave our room away, which we were disappointed with, but immediately gave us a better upgrade and we were happy. The food there is AMAZING !!!! They have probably 5 Star Chefs and it is a huge buffet! There is friendly staff to take away your plates and get you a refill. Every meal is free and amazing !! The pool is so nice and the ocean is amazing. Snorkeling is amazing and one activity i would recommend the most. This is more than a hotel. This is a resort. Some activities they have are waterskiing, trapeze, water basketball, snorkeling, scuba diving, ping pong, tennis, sailing (on catamarans), kayaking in the ocean, windsurfing and much more and they are constantly having parties on the beach !! The GO Crew is so nice and so professional! The GO's put on a hilarious and entertaining show at night that is amazing. We also wanted to add some history to our stay, so we decided to see the Mayan Ruins. We went to the Discovery Center and a worker helped us pick between Tulum and Chichen Itza. We picked Chichen Itza because it was one of the 7 wonders of the world !!!! The drive was 2-3 hours but it was okay because we were on a nice, air-conditioned coach bus! They even gave us a snack on the way back. If you have small children under the age if ten, i recommend to go to Tulum because there is a beach there and the drive is only 1-2 hours. At the Club Med Resort, there are 2 bars (one is open longer than the other) and they are very professional and provide any drink like margaritas, piña coladas, and even make them for the kids without alcohol (they taste like smoothies or slushies !!) And it is free!! There is a club for teens called the Car Wash and I recommend it, but it's for 12-17 year olds only and they will meet other kids. Overall, this was not just the best vacation of my life, but probably the best week/ experience of my life !! Would I recommend this to a friend? ABSOLUTELY!! We came home yesterday and I miss it already and wish we could go back!

Room Tip: AguaMarina and Jade have newer rooms if you're looking for something modern, they're a littl...
1  Thank Beverly A
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Club Med has seriously upgraded this property and it is very very family friendly. The dining was outstanding and the variety incredible. Fresh squeezed fruit juices every morning, great bread options, etc, etc. The sports has also stepped up and the tennis is very very good. We traveled with a whole family group, some who had never been to Club Med before and now they want all future family trips at only a Club Med somewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view.
1  Thank T R
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Was at Club Med Cancun from June 28 to July 5th so got to experience both Canada Day and the 4th of July in Mexico. It was a little disappointing that Canada Day was almost forgotten but the Jamaican band on the beach that day was very good. I was meeting up with friends and coworkers from the past for a terrific reunion including a large range in age of people. One of my passions is the trapeze and the circus team was amazing. Alex is a terrific chief and the whole team with Vitor, Rolando, Kenny and Ashley were so supportive and encouraging with me as well as the kids from our group. And the circus show and the flying trapeze show were two of the highlights of the trip.
I did one of the scuba excursions to the Cenotes. The company who takes care of this is very professional and the Dive Master we had was excellent. The diving in these caves was surreal, and the water so clear. Was a terrific day.
There were many other terrific GO’s. Emilio from the mini club who I had met the previous year in Ixtapa was terrific and even though I didn’t have kids, he took great care of my friend with her 10 year old son. Jose Luis was excellent and has great leadership skills, I can see him moving up further with Club Med. Always a friendly greeting and really cared that everyone was having a great time. Pedro did an excellent aquagym class, felt like I was exercising but in a really fun way. Bola, the entertainer, you never knew where he would show up and who he would be and it was always a good laugh. The shows were good, and the sets by Francisco were too, but the set up of the theatre was a little awkward and too small for the number of people who wanted to watch the shows some of the nights, especially for the Michael Jackson show. Basti, one of the bar tenders, was excellent both at his job and performing in the shows especially as Michael Jackson. Another fun highlight was the foam party to help celebrate the 4th of July. It was a day of Red, White and Blue with lots of special activities from a parade to the fireworks. The food was excellent with lots of choices and especially the many varieties of breads, the cheese bread being my favourite. We ate at the steak restaurant one evening and the food was delicious. It was a wonderful week of reconnecting with old friends as well as making new ones. Thanks to a great GO team for making our week so special.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank fambail
Reviewed July 14, 2014

What can I say? As a single mom, it's tough to take a vacation - and even taking a vacation is stressful (on the brain and the wallet). I took my three boys to Club Med Cancun the week of June 28-July 5. Words will never describe, nor would I ever put a price on the experience we all had. The GO's were amazing, especially the mini-club - Lara, Jaime (who left to go home to college - and if Club Med is smart will snap him up when he graduates), Emilio and Hoshi. The bartenders Andres and Juan especially - could not be topped.

The fun never ended and my kids experienced things I would never be able to do for them: sailing, trapeze, snorkeling, the mini club show and countless other adventures.There was even a foam party on the beach that was fun for every single person, no matter what age (I laughed so hard, I inhaled the foam!!).

My only advice is that the club should have a "bar" for the kids to get their unlimited smoothies. And this is nit-picking. But a specific area for the kids to order their drinks would be great. Other than that - I honestly cannot think of one negative thing to say about this place.

I can tell you this: If you have kids, and want to allow them (and you) to have the trip of a lifetime - TAKE THEM TO CLUB MED CANCUN!

P.S. You know you have had a great time, when you become envious of the people that are arriving days before you leave because you know they are in for the time of their lives.

Room Tip: There are shuttles (free) to all activities. So no matter where you stay in the village you will be...
3  Thank Sandy L