“A most wonderful vacation - for parents and kids!”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #21 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
San Diego, California, United States
“A most wonderful vacation - for parents and kids!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

This was our first trip to a Club Med resort, and first family trip to Mexico. We couldn't be more pleased. It was the most stress-free, relaxing, fun vacation I think we've taken as a family.

Initially we were looking at renting a beach home/condo in Hawaii as we've done in the past, but our Travel Agent suggested Club Med instead. Of all the Beach Inclusive resorts she suggests, she recommended this Club Med Family Resort to us specifically because of the Kids Clubs. We have 3 kids (ages 6, 10 and 13) - and there was something for all of them to enjoy. This gave my husband and I time to relax, read a book, and even get in some snorkeling on our own.

In our family travels before, we have never used a "kids club" or "babysitting service" - just spent time together as a family. I have to say, the Kids Clubs here are amazing. The staff is so warm, caring, fun and responsible - we felt at ease knowing the kids were having fun & well taken care of.
Many thanks to Emelio (Elmo), Adriana, Lorena, Daniella, Hoshi, Chicken Nugget, and all the rest I have missed. The kids are grouped by age - and there are activities from 9am - 9pm, which you can join in. It allowed us to have a nice mix of family time, and time for them in the clubs. Our 6 year old much preferred being with the club! They have all sorts of activities: Circus/Trapeze (the Circus Staff is incredible!), swimming, sailing, snorkeling (8&up), water skiing (12 & up), beach time, sports, crafts, treasure hunts, beach dinner/movie night and even put on an evening show in the theatre, complete with costumes & makeup. All our girls met and made friends from all over.

As for us - we had a wonderful time. I loved leaving the room each day, with just my beach bag... a hat, a book & sunscreen. Being all inclusive - I never needed a purse :) Meals (B/L/D) are wonderful, buffet style, with so many delicious options to choose from. Drinks are easy to find at the bar, or will be brought to you at the beach (thank you, Cesar!)

Being new to Club Med, we learned about the "GO's". These are the many staff who run the club, from reception, to the kids clubs, to activities, meals & housekeeping. We were fortunate to share meals with several, and learn about their stories - some were new, and this was their first club, while another was a 22 year veteran with many exciting travels to share (Thanks, Patricia). Be sure to take time to share a drink or meal with the GO's - they make the trip even more special and personal. We met such wonderful people... Patricia (head of housekeeping), Dario (Snorkeling), Rodrigo & Pedro (Sailing), Guilia, Lorela, Julie, Anna & Sandra (Reception).

Finally a bit about the resort itself. It really has the best location of the hotels along the Cancun hotel strip. It is at the "bottom" - if you think of Cancun as the shape of a 7. It has a wonderful, calm, clear swimming beach on one side. (If you want waves, just walk up the beach a bit). A second side has the coral reef for snorkeling right off shore. A third side has the bay for sailing, kayaking, wind-surfing. And there is a lagoon for water skiing.

We enjoyed being in the 4000 building (closest to the pool and near the mini club). I think the 3000, 4000 or even 5000 buildings would be ideal - close to the hub of activity. Accommodations were comfortable, and always clean. Because we had 5 people, we had 2 connecting rooms. They are soon to open a "Family" Building - that will have room for up to 7 - but it is a bit of a walk to the main area. It's next to sailing/tennis courts, and has a kids playground- so depending on your interests could be perfect for you. We didn't see the Jade Accommodations, so I can't comment on those. While I'm sure they are lovely, I thought our "Deluxe" room was just fine - and better location for our family.

I do hope that the addition of the family units (with an additional 200 - 300 guests) won't cause the resort to feel too crowded. As it was, I thought it was perfect. Even though they were "full" - it did not feel crowded or too busy. Only one afternoon did we have trouble finding a chair in the shade on the beach - but we did find some at the pool :)

We enjoyed all our time at the resort, but they also offer several Day Excursions that look fun. Perhaps when the kids are older. We didn't think ours would enjoy them as much as they were enjoying the resort itself.

If you're reading these reviews to see if this is the right place for you & your family, I hope this is helpful. We would highly recommend Club Med Cancun and truly hope to return in a year or two ourselves!

Room Tip: Depends on your interests. We liked rooms near the main pool (4000) building. Mini Club is in 3000...
5 Thank SD_Family2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (856)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Went with my wife for our 10 year anniversary a month ago today. GO's were awesome....all of them. The Chief was off on vacation for most of our trip, but his fill in did a great job. Anyone afraid of going to Cancun is crazy. This resort is very hidden and has more than enough security staff at night. Shows were ridiculous. Can not imagine how much time and effort it takes to put them on. They were all different and very entertaining ( though I must say I liked the Mexican night the best ). Food was ridiculous!!! Have no idea how I didn't gain 15lbs. It was so delicious. If you want to go to the steak house make sure you get up early to book it. Went on one excursion to Chichen Itza. Was awesome to see, but must say the history of it was just as impressive. I would recommend that you only do one excursion per week trip as the beach and activities on site are more than enough to keep you occupied. Rooms were nice, and well kept, but I am not going to stay at Club Med to hang out in my room the entire time. Getting back to the staff and how accomodating they are. I had been in an accident just 10 days before leaving for Cancun. I had torn ligaments in my ankle and our room was far from everything. I went to the lobby and asked if we could be moved closer after a couple of days 2nd and we were moved the next morning to a much closer spot. I'll close with this, my wife said it was the first time in our 10 years that she did not see the wheels spinning in my head even when on vacation. Will be going back again next year same time!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian H
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 26, 2014

My 7 yr. old daughter and I just returned from another GREAT trip at Club Med Cancun. This was our second time (went last year). Once agin the mini club team was amazing. My daughter had a great time with the activities and the shows. A huge huge thanks to the staff: Lara, Adriana, Daniela, Jennifer, Tammy, Lorena, Anna, Wanny, Emilio, Fernando, and more. You were incredibly warm, responsible, entertaining, accommodating - I couldn't ask for more. I felt completely safe leaving her with you, which allowed me some needed downtime.

Everything was great...from the weather, beach, food, shows, accommodations. Tennis was great too - all the coaches were accommodating.

Thanks to Club Med. We will be back again next year!

David and Siena

Edmond
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We have been to a couple of Club Med's and by far this facility and staff are five star. Starting witht he plane fairs to Cancun we found several excellent flights and saved money. There was my wife and I and one child and one teenager. There was so much to do for everyone and the food was out of this world. We had an issue with condensation in our first floor room and they immediately moved us up to a second floor overlooking the Lagoon where we could watch the water skiing. The snorkeling was by far the best you could ask for. There is a protected coral reefe on one side of the resort that has an abundance of beautiful coral and fish. They taught us how to sail on both a hobbycat and windsurfing and we even took lesson on scuba diving at no additional cost. There was a cost if you wanted to go deep sea diving but we were not ready for that. My son did go and loved it. The night time shows and kids program were outstanding. This resort was recommended to us by a friend and I have thanked them several times over. This resort is my top choice of all the "all inclusive" resorts that we have been to and I highly recommend this facility for a great family vacation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second level. The humidity is high so keep your airconditioning running at al...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Thomas P
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Was very concerned about going to a Club Med. All inclusives often have bad food, too many people and crappy rooms. That was not the case here. Food was excellent and always fresh, people were VERY friendly and the place was well maintained. Activity choices are outstanding and we all really enjoyed the experience. We paid extra for the fancy accomidations and there was very worth it. All in all a great time was had by all.

2 Thank Wolpster
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Overview: Traveling with teens (15 and 17) can be difficult. They often pretend to be jaded or disinterested and it's up to the parents and staff at the resort to bring them round. This vacation fits the bill. The resort is very well organized with something happening at virtually all times of the day and night. The GO's are at the center of it all, presenting such a cool example of what it means to have fun that the kids were singing and dancing along with them by the middle of the week. Both my children remarked that they wished they'd done the "crazy signs" earlier since it was so much fun. They were unconsciously humming the tunes as we left... literally music to my ears.

Food: The buffet is wonderful. We took small portions and tried everything we liked or were curious about. It's a great chance for the kids to try new dishes. Frogs legs were a hit. The two restaurants you make a reservation at can't really compete. We ate at each of them once. It was fine but after the bountiful harvest of the buffets which serve gourmet dishes every night, it felt restrictive to be forced to eat only one dish.

GO's: Great folks work at this place. They seem to really love what they do and they make the trip more fun. We had several meals with various GO's and it was amazing to hear about their lives, where they're from and how they ended up at Club Med. They're interesting and engaging. Karim is a gem. Very sweet, very earnest and very fun. Our family was really honored to get to know him.

Accommodations: Perfectly fine. They aren't world class (unless you are in Jade maybe?) but they are very comfortable, kept immaculate and all anyone would need when there is so much going on outside the room. We didn't stay in Jade but the location does not seem to be as ideal as the rooms that open directly onto the beach.

This resort is very well organized and obviously run by folks with real experience handling whatever the guests throw at them. We had two ridiculously large groups of High School students come while we were there (all told, around 200 kids with "chaperones"). The first day was mayhem. The kids were mostly 18 which is the legal drinking age in Mexico and they had just graduated from HS. Their behavior was alarming to say the least, they were drunk, loud, rude and took over the whole place. By the end of the second day the GO's and Aziz had made a few structural changes (opening a second bar to move them to, giving smaller cups to the kids, creating a separate dining area for their group, etc.). They also had a few conversations and sent one kid home. The results were magical, it was suddenly just a fun place to be again.

Hats off to the whole Club Med Cancun Yucatan staff. Well done and we'll be going to Club Med again for sure.

3 Thank NestorMitrea
Oregon
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stayed at Club Med Cancun for 6 days with our four teenagers, and all gave it a stellar review.

As others have stated, the rooms are comfortable but not fancy. We were grateful that the staff was willing to put an extra roll away in our second room so the teens could have one room an we could have privacy in the other. We were rarely in the rooms at all--- except to sleep and change. The bedding was comfortable, and the bathrooms quite nice.

The beach was fantastic. Beautiful blue green water! Even though the resort was nearly at capacity (the new family buildings haven't opened yet, though) we had no trouble finding lounge chairs under thatched umbrellas or cabana beds on the sand. We really didn't have a significant wait for any activity, and no matter what we did the GO's were enthusiastic and supportive. The beach staff was always at the ready with cold drinks and smoothies brought to our lounging place on the beach.

The buffet was huge, and offered something different every day. There were plenty of choices for everyone. We don't have little ones, but I noticed there was even a "baby food of the day" plus a blender available to mash up whatever else the children might choose. Our family loved the many fresh fruit choices and the great breakfast buffet the most.

The teen club (called the Car Wash) was a huge hit for our kids. It was an easy going experience that made it easy to meet other teens and participate in all the activities the resort had to offer. Kids could come and go as they wanted, and my kids especially appreciated that there was no pressure to do anything you didn't want to--- but everyone made you feel welcome. My only disappointment was that we had a hard time getting our kids to want to hang out with us because they were having so much fun with their new friends. While we didn't have kids in the mini-club, I couldn't help but notice GO Wanny (aka Chicken Nugget) who was extraordinary with the little ones. Truly one of the most energetic and engaging people I've ever seen with young kids. Later in the week, he joined the Car Wash and my kids just adored him-- as well as everyone else there including Hoshi, Giovanny, and Jaime.

All of the staff are pleasant and friendly, and work so hard. I was especially impressed by the bartenders who were kept very busy while we were there by over 100 recent high school graduates who came on a senior trip. We were really impressed by the Club Med Management that quickly responded to the change in culture at the Village by opening a bar specifically for the teens (drinking age in Mexico is 18) which allowed the rest of the resort to maintain its family atmosphere and still allowed the grads to have a great time too.

It was a fun, relaxing trip. Certainly not a cultural experience in any way shape or form. However, if you are looking for a fun beach getaway with something to offer every member of the family with low stress for a good value this is a great place to go.

3 Thank oregonfamilytravel