“Excellent”

Club Med Cancun Yucatan
Ranked #19 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 3, 2011

It is really tough to beat Club Med for a family vacation experience. Even though we endured a tropical storm for the first three days, we still had a great time. Meals at a Club Med are an incredible adventure in itself -- the variety and presentation is staggering. Just wandering around all of the food stations at the lovely main restaurant became an experience of discovery which we looked forward to each meal. Between all of the restaurants and beach bars and grills, you can pretty much get food and drink whenever you want.The grounds are beautiful, the beach is gorgeous, the snorkeling beach is the best in Cancun, the pool is large (but not a spectacular statement of mega-resort beauty) The staff and activities are great. The rooms are comfortable and tasteful, but not posh or luxurious. We had a mini-frig and coffeemaker. Wi-fi costs $, but that was fine with us as we wanted a break from electronics. My family of four were in connecting rooms, which was great -- request this if possible. As for the building you are assigned, consider your priorities. Look at a map of the resort when you make your reservation. In 2009 we were in lagoon view rooms on the top floor of the Onice building, which is away from the pool and nightclub and therefore quiet. It is closer to the snorkeling and sailing, but a longer walk to the main restaurant and bar and pool. We really like that location, if you can get the top (third) floor lagoon view. I think the first or second floor lagoon view might not be as appealing because you cannot see over the tops of the trees to view the rest of the resort. This year we were in the Turquoise building, which is very close to the pool, bar and restaurant, but a lot noisier. Listening to the sounds of activites is sort of neat, but the pounding rhythms of the nightclub at 11:30 is a bit loud if you want to sleep. Consider the tradeoffs. One more thing: make sure you walk through the lovely hallway/breezway though the Granate building at night on the way to the Onice building and sailing beach areas. At night this is the coolest geometric walkway to experience. Really fantastic. See photo.

Room Tip: look at a resort map before you call
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2011

Dear williat,

Thank you for the marvelous review! We were very happy to read that you enjoyed the food, beach, activities, and more. We hope you and your family can return soon for another fabulous vacation!

Your Club Med Team

Write a ReviewReviews (5,659)

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Went to resort last week of June with our extended family. 19 adults, 3 teenagers, 5 children. The week started out rainy, 2 full days of rain, puddles everywhere. Note: the outdoor tiles can get very slippery, be careful. Although there was not much to do outdoors, the resort scheduled more indoor activities like card playing, darts, etc so there was still ample opportunity for socializing and fun. The food was fantastic, I am still amazed at the variety and the quality of the food considering the number of guests that are fed. My picky vegetarian daughter even commented about the variety. Sadly, I gained 8 pounds :( but it was worth every bite. I water skiied, snorkeled, sailed, kayaked, and did yoga. In every instance, the staff was friendly, patient and knowledgable. There are 3 main restaurants, make sure you visit the one at the far end of the resort near the sailing. The bar over looking the water is a quiet, yet beautiful place for an early evening cocktail. As for cocktails, there is a menu at the bar, don't be afraid to try new ones each day. There are also staff who will bring drinks to the beach. It was pure heaven.

• Stayed: June 2011

Dear michael_asbury_park,

Thank you for the marvelous review! We were so pleased to read that you enjoyed the food, snorkeling, our Club Med Team, and more. We hope you can come back soon for another excellent vacation!

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We are just back from a week at Club Med Yucatan and coming back to the reality of life after time at Club Med!
This is our 4th Club Med village with our children and my 6th village overall. I have probably been to Club Med 10 or 11 times. I call it the "Yes" vacation. Yes, you can go that activity or the other one or both. Yes, you can try that food, don't worry if you don't like it and want something else.
It is a very friendly village and it does not matter if you speak English, Spanish or French as their are GOs who speak all three languages. Those are the most spoken languages at this village based on my own observations but we also heard Italian and Portuguese. The GOs go out of their way to engage the families and we often found ourselves dining with a GO (which we like).
Eduardo (the Chef de Village) is very present and approachable. He literally always has a smile on his face. Many of his staff were with him previously in Ixtapa which to me says a lot about how much they enjoy working for him.
We spent a lot of time at the trapeze with Antonio, Oneil and Minero. They are very safety conscious and run a good operation despite being only 3 GOs. Most villages have 5 GOs for the trapeze. These guys will do catches every day and that is incredible. The toll it takes on them to catch every day must be heavy but they do it with a smile. Our kids both learned new tricks and they even got me (mom) up and learning some new tricks. Definitely put this on your list of things to try. I fell in love with it in Bali and always go back to it when we are at Club Med.
We also spent part of each day water skiing and wake boarding. The crew here is also excellent. Franck, Jeremie and Milton run a great operation. They are relaxed and fun but get a large number of people up each day. We had both experienced experts and first time skiers and the atmosphere is supportive. My husband and I spent most of the time wake boarding and Milton was especially patient teaching me how to do a 180 and teaching my husband how to jump the wake. Despite what you may read about wildlife in the lagoon we never had any reason for concern. I arrived thinking I was probably not going to ski at all but I did every day. There were a few jelly fish around but despite many wipe outs I was never stung (nor my husband or daughter). Although there are two crocs that live near the resort they are no where near the dock and the motor boats keep them at bay. Seriously, this was a big concern for me and it was sooo not an issue.
My girls (9 and 12) spent time in and out of the mini club. The staff that works with the kids is energetic and fun. I am honestly not sure where they find the enthusiasm each day, but they do without fail. Kudos to them all. Julie and Lloyd were special favorites of my younger daughter.
The beach is lovely with lots of soft white sand. Depending on the winds you can see everything from great body surfing waves to gentle swells. They are lots of chairs and lounge areas and many with shade.
There is an area for snorkeling that we never got to as the conditions we a bit rough much of the time. I understand that if you bring your own equipment you can go at any time...something to consider.
There is a separate beach for sailing, windsurfing and kayaking. I did not spend as much time there but my husband thought the staff was friendly and helpful. He loves to windsurf and sail. If you like to windsurf, bring your own "booties." They do not have them at this resort and the boards can be slippery.
We stayed in the Jade building (5 Trident) space. That gave us free internet access and more spacious rooms. We were very pleased. The beds were very comfy with clean white sheets and duvets. We turned down the AC a lot as the rooms were as cold as you could ever want! Their is a private pool that overlooks the ocean. I liked doing yoga there on my own early in the morning. We were fairly close to the disco and thought it might be an issue as I am a light sleeper but we need not have worried at all. We never heard a single note nor anyone returning late at night. The wind comes in off the ocean and blows all the noise away from the Jade building. The Jade staff, Magali, Brenda and Theresa were just wonderful - always smiling and ready to assist with anything.
Restaurants. We basically stick to the main restaurant as we love the option to eat a variety at each meal. I am close to vegetarian and found plentiful fruit, vegetables and fish at each meal. The grilled fish is amazing! My husband and kids also loved the food and they love meat as well. If you are looking for a 5 star restaurant experience then perhaps you could be disappointed but I am very picky and I really like the food at Club Med. Fresh, delicious and interesting. We went one night Las Casuelas (their specialty Mexican restaurant) and we were not thrilled. I think it needs a fresh look. Our kids are not picky and we have traveled all over the world with them and they struggled a little there. They are beyond using a kids menu. In the end we went back to the main restaurant and finished our meal there. Other people seem to really like that restaurant and the setting is gorgeous - literally on the water.
What else can I say? It was a great vacation despite a little rain. We met several families who are there year after year. I hope we find a time to return.

1  Thank happyfamily_of_4_USA

Dear happyfamily_of_4_USA,

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing review! We loved reading how much you and your family enjoyed the G.O.’s, water skiing, Mini Club, and more. We hope you all can return soon for another wonderful vacation!

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We have been to many Club Meds; the GO's are always friendly and helpful. This year's trapeze/circus team at Cancun is truly exceptional. Oneil, Anthony and Meniero are great with kids and adults: patient, kind, and quite talented. My son and I had a great time, made a lot of progress in the skills, and appreciated watching the GO's work with the less experienced people too. Thanks, guys!

The rest of our Club Med trip was, as always, fabulous. Great food, great international flair, fabulous friendly GO's, so many fun things going that it was hard to decide what to do. We will simply have to come back to finish everything.

Dear LynnMcGonagill,

Thank you for the excellent review! We're so glad that you enjoyed the G.O.’s, trapeze, food, and more. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 30, 2011

We just got back form our trip to the yucatan. It was absolutely great. The people were so friendly and kind. the Club Med resort is absolutely beautiful. It looked like something out of a postcard. We were greeted by Elina, who was very sweet to help us check-in and show the lay out of the resort.

The beach was spectacular. The sand was like powder and the ocean was turquoise. We spent all day at the beach.The resort is situated on the best spot on the peninsula. The beachside service was amazing. Fidel and Gregorio were always there with a smile and a drink.
The Food was fantastic, there was a huge variety. And all of it was delicious. My only complaint is lunch at los Cozuelas. Since it is open air dining bird are dive bombing you and picking off your plate and the buffet station. However, at night the birds are sleeping and the dining is excellent.

As for the Mini-Club there are not enough adjectives to describe how fantastic the staff is. They are caring, enthusiastic, energetic and great fun. we were hestitant at first but qucikly overcame any doubts we had. My son Matthew had a blast and we owe all to the amazing GO's: Belen ,Amaya, Solene, Julien, Juan Carlos,Lloyd and Jareni.

The theatre SUCKED because it has no air conditioning. Watching the shows were torture.

Room Tip: rooms farther from the pool are best so at night .
1  Thank mgfive

Dear mgfive,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We were so glad to read that you enjoyed the beach, food, Mini Club, and more. Please know that your issues have been brought to management’s attention. We can’t wait for you to come back either!

Reviewed June 28, 2011

We spent a great week there and hung out a lot at the Sailing dock. Great group of GO's running things there. Thanks to Mauricio, Arturo and Andres. And Martha for the After-Sail drink at La Chispa. Thanks for everything guys

Room Tip: Topica is great. Beachside 2nd or 3rd floor
1  Thank SunscreenSFP50

Dear SunscreenSFP50,

Thank you for the wonderful review! We were so pleased to read that you enjoyed sailing and the G.O.’s. We hope you can return soon for another fantastic vacation!

Reviewed June 28, 2011

The resort is fanatastic. We loved the location at the tip of the hotel zone. The facilities were perfect for our family of four, 2 adults, one 19 year old and one 24 year old. There were several activities for all of us to participate in, our daughter loved the trapeze and circus staff. Enjoyed the food, plenty of fresh fish, salads, fruit. I was afraid my kids would want to go to the clubs in town at night, but they were happy to participate in the events at the club, and socialize with other guests and the staff. We would definitely come back, or go to another Club Med.

Room Tip: 4 trident rooms are great
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kwl77
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Cancun Yucatan, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2011

Dear kwl77,

Thank you for the terrific review! We are so glad that you and your family enjoyed the food, activities, and more. We look forward to your next vacation with Club Med!