“Average at Best”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #67 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Yes the view is great IF you get a balcony room facing the beach. NOT ALL ROOMS HAVE A OCEAN VIEW OR BALCONY'S. This is a dated hotel and about 3-4 miles from "Zona Hotelera" where all the action happens like Señor Frogs or Coco Bongos. If you like walking to the action it's not happening here. Unless you call action "The Beach".

Great views...our room leaked, so did the whole hotel. We were on the 6th floor and when it rained all of the hall ways were wet. Reception said that they had this issue...whatever that meant.

I was there on a conference so my wife and I didn't pay. We would have been very disappointed had we paid for this hotel. It's worth paying an additional 20-50 bucks a night to go closer to the action. We actually moved to Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach for the wknd. It was awesome and it doesn't compare to this Westin. There are two Westin's and I think some of the reviewers below were confused. The other is Lagunamar Westin and indeed it is closer to the action and might be better than this one.

Again, dated, leaks, food was okay and service was okay. Nice beach away from everything.

Room Tip: Our floor was the 6th and only the 6th seem to have a nice Balcony
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank icufg
MargelyC, Director of Sales at The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
We truly regret that you were inconvenienced during your stay at the resort, due to the strong storms we had for a few days. Unfortunately the amounts of water in such a short period cause some unexpected leaks. Our Chief Engineer and his team are already repairing them. Please return on another occasion when I am confident our staff will make your stay outstanding!
Be well,

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed here from Oct.18-21st with two of my friends. We came to Celebrate my 30th birthday. We had come to party, drink and just have a great time. The front of the hotel is very plain. Inside is very pretty and clean. I was really impress with the views and decor. The entire staff was extremely nice and accommodating. During our stay a member of concierge found out it was my birthday. They delivered a cheesecake and sparkling wine to the room. I thought that was very nice and welcoming of them. Now if your looking for a party fun zone resort this is not it. However, if you want a very calm, quite, peaceful and relaxation hotel your at the right place. It worked for us because the buses drove you to the clubs. After partying the night away we came back to a quite place to sleep. The buses are only one dollar per person. The taxi drivers charge too much money only to drop you off down the street. Now for my dislikes for starters it should be a must that wash cloths are in the rooms. It was a headache requesting something to shower with every night. Secondly, you need a jacuzzi outside and not just in the spa area. There are about six mini pools outside and not one was a jacuzzi. That was very disappointing. Lastly, the Long hill you have to go up and down everytime leaving the hotel. There probably is not anything you could do about the hill but the other two are simple fixes. All in all it was a good stay for an affordable price.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank cheychey83
Haydee S, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate such an important event! and we are so glad that you enjoyed this beautiful area with your friends. As you mentioned this hotel is to relax, enjoy and renovate. Party centers are only 15 minutes away by bus at a very convenient price.
We also take this opportunity to apologize if our staff did not let you know that some of the triangle pools by the beach have the air power bottom to have water with pressure in the pool and with an amazing ocean front view where you can enjoy with your favorite drink.
Thank you again for all your comments and suggestions.

Stay well,

Reviewed November 17, 2013

After 2 exhausting days of nothing but touring we decided to have a day by the beach. We were awake early so we were the first ones to the pool/beach area. The Bar area wasn't open yet but we approached an employee and asked at what time we could start buying drinks. He said he would be right back and returned with 2 margaritas for us. A couple of other people showed up and I could see them eyeing our drinks with jealousy!

The food&beverage service was amazing. So friendly and keen for conversation but they also knew when to leave us alone. The rooms were nice and clean. Pricing was great.

It isn't close to any of the shopping/restaurants etc but we weren't in Mexico to go shopping so this was fine.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience! Our staff for sure are very friendly and with an excellent service attitude. We will cheer our beverage team for keeping doing a great job and delicious margaritas for our valued guests.
Please come back soon!

Stay well

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My name is john choi. My wife and I returned Los Angeles after a 4 nights celebrations of my 60th birthday at westin resort & spa. It was the greatest experience of my life.
We stayed at royal beach club in ocean view room with a private balcony facing the beautiful white sand beach. Breakfast with Marco and cocktail hours with Mariel services were excellent and I would like to thank Leonel in arrecifies restaurant. All staff members were very kind and helpful. Especially concierge Josie who took care our needs. Thank you again all. If we have another opportunity to visit cancun, we will stay at westin resort & spa again.thank you

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jsjchoi53

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay in this beautiful place. We will be very happy to see you again and feel assured that all of the associates that you have mentioned will receive your compliments and a special recognition from our HHRR authorities.
Replenish your spirit,

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We only stayed for a night before our flight after a week in a rental house in Chelem. Got a really good deal, ocean view for 90 USD total. Let's just say it's kinda like Vegas, you get a good room deal to lure you in then every thing else is super expensive! The room itself is beautiful and comfortable---it has everything you could ask for(except a key for the mini bar fridge which i guess you have to get from the desk---i never bothered to ask). Great pillows, bed linens and shower space with a big tub. I have NO complaints about the room. Also, the beach is stunning. Plenty of chairs for sitting, beautiful stretch of beach and plenty of room for everybody (at least on the first week of november when we were there).
Here's where they get ya…..you are way out at the end of the main road, so kinda at the mercy of what's available in the hotel. Especially if there for a short time after a day of bus travels.
I encountered indifferent bartenders in an uncrowded bar that wouldn't explain what the happy hour special was that began at 6pm. Now it was 5:30, so i think i know why they didn't. Then when happy hour arrives (2 for 1 by the way) they slow walk everybody through the hour for obvious reasons. Our dinner at Arricifes. while expertly staffed by very friendly and accommodating waiters, was the most boring and tasteless food in all of Mexico!
Mind you, this was all at big city USA prices. Can i add the breakfast buffet was almost 30USD--you better eat up AND stuff your pockets! Also we've stayed in much smaller and less opulent hotels all over the world, and guess what---they offer FREE WI-FI! Here it's free if you enjoy sitting in the lobby.
So, pack your suitcase with food and drinks,then stay here because the rooms and surroundings are BEAUTIFUL! Just remember to ask for the fridge key at the desk.

Room Tip: don't settle for less than an ocean view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pozdowny

Dear guest,

We feel so glad that you enjoyed our great location just in front of the beautiful reef even you just stayed for a short period of times.
Please accept our apologizes in regards of the minibar key, we will be following up with the proper area.
We also appreciate your comments about the prices in our services; your feedback is always welcome so thank you for taking the time and effort to let us know about your stay.

Replenish your spirit.

Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The first night I arrived, it was raining heavily. There were many buckets set up through out the property to catch rain that was leaking inside. I stayed in the beach club building, and upon check in I was directed to wait for the bell hop to drive me to the second building (a 2 minute walk). Upon check out, it is revealed that there is a mandatory tip added to your bill for this service. The room itself was spacious and clean, and the bed comfortable.

There was a card on the bed, indicating they are a green hotel and if you don't want your towels changed to leave the card on the door. What this card actually is, is a no maid service at all card. No one in to make the bed, tidy and replace water at all. One night I didn't leave the card out, the maid was there at 7:30 am to come in. Oh, and another mandatory tip charge when you do use the maid service.

Overall, an okay stay, but next time I'd probably stay some place different.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for your past visit! Thank you also for bringing those issues into our attention. Be assure that our proper area managers will receive your comments.
The tips some times are included in your room rate according to the individual rules and policies in your reservation.
Please feel free to contact us directly in case you did not receive the rewards for participating in our "Make a green choice program", which is a program for contributing with energy savings in pro of our planet.
Hopefully you visit back again and enjoy this wonderful beach area.
Stay well,

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I'm sure I will spell these names wrong but I want to give a shout out to Noe, Efron, Jonathan, and Alejondro....

My wonderful stay started with Efron at the front desk, we were in the Presidential Suite our first night and he arranged for us to be in the the Master Suite for the rest of our anniversary trip. Since the new room would not be ready until after 5pm, even though we had to be out of the Presidential by noon, he told us to just leave our bags in the Suite and they would come get them and keep for us until the new room was ready and deliver them to us and that's exactly what happened.

Jonathan, at the Concierge desk, followed that up with a complimentary bottle of champagne delivered to our room once he learned we were there for our anniversary. So that when we returned to our room it was waiting for us sitting in an ice bucket nice and cold along with some chocolate covered strawberries.

Alejondro was excellent at meeting all our needs at the bar/restaurant while we relaxed outside. We loved the oversized chairs with the ottoman.

On my last night I had a massage by the ocean given by Noe and it was absolutely wonderful! He was the perfect gentleman and I felt totally relaxed. I also took advantage of the spa options available with the service; had my cocktail that was included, the steam room, sauna and jacuzzi.

We also appreciated the breakfast and cocktail time that was included in the Royal Beach Club. There was a young man who worked during the cocktail hours 6-8 and I must say he was very nice and it was great to see him with a big smile everyday.

I will definitely be returning.

Synethia Bromell
November 2013

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear guest,

Congratulations on behalf of The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun team! Thank you for sharing your anniversary experience, we are pleased to learn of all the little things that were put together to provide you with unforgettable Westin moments on this very special stay!
We will be sure to extend your comment and share with all corresponding departments.

We cannot wait for your return!

Best regards.