“Had a wonderful time!”

Ranked #68 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Milwaukee
“Had a wonderful time!”
Reviewed January 13, 2004

We went to the Westin during prime season 12/31-1/7/03. I am a travel agent and had booked four rooms for myself and some friends. I was a bit nervous based upon reviews but the rate was good and we decided to see for ourselves. We stayed in the pink premier bldg. (highly recommended) - they take very good care of you, the views are magnificent, and you get breakfast buffet as well as drinks and appetizers at night. My friend booked two rooms in the regular hotel to save on money - one of the rooms was fine but the other room had a sewer smell in the bathroom - they tried to fix it but it was still there. I very politely approached the manager and let her know that I had booked all these rooms and they were great except for the one. I asked if they could be upgraded for the remaining four nights to the premier bldg. for the inconvenience - she was awesome and said no problem. I think if you are unhappy with your room at this hotel or any hotel, the key is to approach them nicely, tell them the problem and either ask for a solution or see what they will offer. I had inquired about paying for an upgrade before this happened and it was 50-60 per nt. The beach here was the best along the entire end strip of hotels.
Plenty of sand and chairs. The staff was great - the rooms were lovely.
I would not hesitate to send anyone here. It is a beautiful property - the bus was cheap 6 pesos to town for dinner and Walmart (we did have to go there just to see it). If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We also went to Xel-Ha for the day and did the all-inclusive and it was awesome. We rented a driver with a van for all of us (3 families) for 200 and he was ours for the day and we didn't have to stop at all the hotels to pick everyone up.

4 Thank lhook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 13, 2004

I read every review before I stayed there, so I knew ecactly what to
expect. Read this and you will get some great info:

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Westin jan 8th through jan 12th, and besides the weather we had a wonderful time. It rained the first two days(go to the indoor spa) that we stayed so we just drank till it got sunny. In the morning it is sunny on the ocean side and in the afternoon its on the lagoon side. Make sure that if your from somewhere that has lakes don't stay on the lagoon side, it feels like home. We did the all-inclusive package(free drinks are only from 11 to 11), I highly recomend doing the same if you like to stay in your resort and not go out every night. The reason is that breakfast alone was almost $20 dollars a person just for the buffet, and the drinks are around $5 to $6. The drinks are great I highly recomend the mango marg
You could easily go through a $100 a day if not for the package.
Breakfast, lunch and drinks by the pool (tropical fruit salad and
Quesadillas), dinner and nightly drinks. The Italian resturant is
wonderful very romantic and the service and food is great. / El Palmar
is the main resturant pretty good had a couple of bad things( You don't
have to eat the buffet every morning you can order off the menu, try
the french toast it is to die for.) WARNINGS:1. Unplug your phone or
you will get sales calls early in the morning and late at night trying
to get you to go to there timeshare. 2. minibar is not included take
every thing out and put it under your T.V.(you can get free bottled
water from your bartender's and keep it in your frig.) 3. Room Service
is not included with AI. 4. certain foods at the resturants have a
surcharge but its usualy worth it. This hotel is the second to last
hotel on the strip so it's a way from the downtown noise. (bus ride is
only 60 cents but hold on when you get on the bus), I don't recommend
taxi's(always ask the fare before you get in). One fun thing I do
recommend is to go to the Isla Mujeres, just take the bus down to Fat
tuesdays and hop on the farrey for $15 a person(round trip) to take you
there. Then rent a Monster Golf cart for the day you just drive around
the island and drink corona's. Buy your soveniers here (and watch out
for the market in Cancun they will grab you a pull you into their
stores, stay to the outside and shop so you have the street to escape
to. If you go through the market you WILL GET bothered. The Best part
of our trip was the people that work there. I have never been treated
so good. These people hussle and work very hard for very little money.
I feel bad for them they only make bettween $6 to $10 a day and work
8-16 hours a day with no overtime. So they say tips are included with
the AI package but tip them and it will go a long way(bring a lot of
american $1 bills they love that) Giovani (watier in the Itailian
resturant), Enrique(kikin) bartender at lobby bar(ask for his special),
Casbar at the sun rise bar (good bloody mary's), and Allen waiter at
the pool. These workers made my trip!!! so please tell them that
Timotao from MN says hi and they will take care of you!!

All in all We had a wonderful Experiance!!!!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 13, 2004

This hotel was EXCELLENT! I planned on one night, stayed two in Dec 2003. Definitely go for the top floor, it's worth the extra 20 bucks.
You get free drinks and food for two hours a night, also they will give you 2 for 1 Xcaret tickets (if you take the all day tourbus deal - 85 dollar value) Xcaret is fabulous! And for staying on top floor you all get the AWESOME breakfast buffet for free! The food is sooo good! The help is literally chopping down fresh papaya and mango outside the restaurant while you look out over the ocean. Also they valet park for you for free in covered parking. This hotel has probably the best beach on the hotel zone. It is long and wide, trust me, many are not. It isn't rocky and there are no boats docked there, just sand and clear blue water. Also, this hotel has three pools, and a great indoor gym.
The gym has steam rooms and a huge hottub inside. It also has tennis courts if you like that. Oh, and there are soooo many lounge chairs and pamplaya (sp?) lg grass covered umbrellas, 10 times as many as other hotels, so plenty of lounging time. There is an outdoor bar and the waiters will come around and serve you. Plus the neatest thing, is that you are the southern most tip of the hotel zone. The only thing further south is Club Med. But you can walk along club med's beach and across the rocks to the peninsula, here is where the coral reefs start. Great place to snorkel. Bring some fruit, the fish will swarm around you!!! I can't say enough good things about this place! I will definitely be back!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2004

My boyfriend and I visited the Westin Regina in November of 2003. For the most part, the hotel was decent. I travel quite a bit and was used to the heavenly beds and showers present at most Westin's. The Regina doesn't have either. The bathroom is quite small, and a bit outdated.
However, our view from the room was quite nice. The staff was very pleasant and willing to help on each request. Happy hour at the bar is a nice way to wind down an afternoon, with nachos and 2 for 1 drink specials. All in all, the hotel was decent, however I plan to stay elsewhere if I return to Cancun. Also, for a nice Mexican meal you can visit LaPlacita, which is quite romantic out on the balcony. For fun, everyone should try the jungle tour!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 7, 2004

We just returnrned from a week at the Westin Regina in Cancun using our Starwoods points to pay for the week there. They gave us a fabulous room overlooking the beach with a "Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower". Our buffet breakfast everyday was included as well an an open bar with appetizers every night. The workers went out of their way to treat us royally and they were there to cater to our every whim. We even had access to a little golf cart with a driver to shuttle us around the property or to the bus stop. There are so many wonderful restauants that we chose to eat off the property and found lots of night life to choose from. It was a great week and a lovely place to stay.

6 Thank suesull314
Chicago
Reviewed January 3, 2004

Well I read so many reviews on the Westin and others and benefitted from them I thought I should "give back" a bit.

This vacation ranks as one of our best, if not the best because of the picture postcard beauty of Cancun itself as well as the experience we had at the Westin. Since you're probably reading this to learn about the Westin, I'll keep my comments related to it.

My family and I quickly came to the conclusion that probably any major problem that other people have written about with the Westin were probably due to comparing it with places that cost 5 times as much. I am giving it 5 Stars not based on how nice the furniture is or the elegance of the lobby or whatever but instead whether or not we feel we got what we paid for, which we all agreed we did very comfortably.

What we enjoyed was the more quiet nature of its location - some others like to be closer to the action and the bars, etc., but we liked the fact that we could lounge on the beach with a decent amount of privacy, rarely having any wait for other things such as elevators, meals, taxis, etc. despite being there at the height of the holidays. For that reason, we felt very relaxed and unhurried which set the tone for our time away.

On other vacations near a beach, it seemed that even with the ocean so close to us we would end up spending much of our time close to a pool for whatever reason. Here, the beach is so convenient and stunningly beautiful that we spent nearly all our time there, except when we moved to the lagoon side to get the late afternoon sun and kayaking (no charge).

And, I have to mention the staff. Sure there were little things that needed attention like light bulbs and keys but I have never stayed any place where there was such a genuine desire to make your time there enjoyable as we experienced at the Westin. Just so much as a mention of wondering if I could get a newspaper one day wound up resulting in one being slipped under our door to read during our morning coffee. Monica, Eduardo, and Alejandro, and others, took genuine interest in making our time there very enjoyable, even telling us upon checkout, "Don't forget us", and "come back next year". Truly committed to taking care of the guest.

Specific recommendations I would make for others considering the Westin. Get the Premiere Club if you want fewer people and I think nicer rooms. It is the reddish/pink building in the pictures. Costs a little more but you get breakfast free and snacks with drinks from 6 - 8 as well, which helps the expenses and is easy on the schedule. By the way, with regards to meals, there's no way around the higher cost of eating out in the Hotel Zone. However, every place we went was very good so we didn't mind that as much. Faros, Lorito Joes, and La Placita (?) were all very good, as were the little places we visited during our day trip to Isla Mujeres, which was a nice break from the beach for a half day.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Westin. We know that there are higher end places but for us, this was more than enough. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions.

6 Thank ggbrands
albuquerque
Reviewed December 20, 2003

I stayed at the Westin Club Regina (timeshare) for one week and two nights at the hotel. (They adjoin each other). Excellant facitlities.
Bilingual staff. Right on the beach. But very expensive for food and drinks. I opted to go to Wal-Mart and stocked up for the week since the timeshare had a kitchen. The resort offers an all inclusive for $75 per person per day which I thouth was way too much. Hotel was well run, well maintained and a beautiful facility.

2 Thank Autumn2920