“not an average Westin” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
A TripAdvisor Member
“not an average Westin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2004

My boyfriend and I visited the Westin Regina in November of 2003. For the most part, the hotel was decent. I travel quite a bit and was used to the heavenly beds and showers present at most Westin's. The Regina doesn't have either. The bathroom is quite small, and a bit outdated.
However, our view from the room was quite nice. The staff was very pleasant and willing to help on each request. Happy hour at the bar is a nice way to wind down an afternoon, with nachos and 2 for 1 drink specials. All in all, the hotel was decent, however I plan to stay elsewhere if I return to Cancun. Also, for a nice Mexican meal you can visit LaPlacita, which is quite romantic out on the balcony. For fun, everyone should try the jungle tour!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2004

We just returnrned from a week at the Westin Regina in Cancun using our Starwoods points to pay for the week there. They gave us a fabulous room overlooking the beach with a "Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower". Our buffet breakfast everyday was included as well an an open bar with appetizers every night. The workers went out of their way to treat us royally and they were there to cater to our every whim. We even had access to a little golf cart with a driver to shuttle us around the property or to the bus stop. There are so many wonderful restauants that we chose to eat off the property and found lots of night life to choose from. It was a great week and a lovely place to stay.

6 Thank suesull314
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2004

Well I read so many reviews on the Westin and others and benefitted from them I thought I should "give back" a bit.

This vacation ranks as one of our best, if not the best because of the picture postcard beauty of Cancun itself as well as the experience we had at the Westin. Since you're probably reading this to learn about the Westin, I'll keep my comments related to it.

My family and I quickly came to the conclusion that probably any major problem that other people have written about with the Westin were probably due to comparing it with places that cost 5 times as much. I am giving it 5 Stars not based on how nice the furniture is or the elegance of the lobby or whatever but instead whether or not we feel we got what we paid for, which we all agreed we did very comfortably.

What we enjoyed was the more quiet nature of its location - some others like to be closer to the action and the bars, etc., but we liked the fact that we could lounge on the beach with a decent amount of privacy, rarely having any wait for other things such as elevators, meals, taxis, etc. despite being there at the height of the holidays. For that reason, we felt very relaxed and unhurried which set the tone for our time away.

On other vacations near a beach, it seemed that even with the ocean so close to us we would end up spending much of our time close to a pool for whatever reason. Here, the beach is so convenient and stunningly beautiful that we spent nearly all our time there, except when we moved to the lagoon side to get the late afternoon sun and kayaking (no charge).

And, I have to mention the staff. Sure there were little things that needed attention like light bulbs and keys but I have never stayed any place where there was such a genuine desire to make your time there enjoyable as we experienced at the Westin. Just so much as a mention of wondering if I could get a newspaper one day wound up resulting in one being slipped under our door to read during our morning coffee. Monica, Eduardo, and Alejandro, and others, took genuine interest in making our time there very enjoyable, even telling us upon checkout, "Don't forget us", and "come back next year". Truly committed to taking care of the guest.

Specific recommendations I would make for others considering the Westin. Get the Premiere Club if you want fewer people and I think nicer rooms. It is the reddish/pink building in the pictures. Costs a little more but you get breakfast free and snacks with drinks from 6 - 8 as well, which helps the expenses and is easy on the schedule. By the way, with regards to meals, there's no way around the higher cost of eating out in the Hotel Zone. However, every place we went was very good so we didn't mind that as much. Faros, Lorito Joes, and La Placita (?) were all very good, as were the little places we visited during our day trip to Isla Mujeres, which was a nice break from the beach for a half day.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the Westin. We know that there are higher end places but for us, this was more than enough. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions.

6 Thank ggbrands
albuquerque
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2003

I stayed at the Westin Club Regina (timeshare) for one week and two nights at the hotel. (They adjoin each other). Excellant facitlities.
Bilingual staff. Right on the beach. But very expensive for food and drinks. I opted to go to Wal-Mart and stocked up for the week since the timeshare had a kitchen. The resort offers an all inclusive for $75 per person per day which I thouth was way too much. Hotel was well run, well maintained and a beautiful facility.

2 Thank Autumn2920
Ridgefield, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2003

The room was nicely decorated and clean. The staff was helpful and friendly. The location was a little far from the action. Which has its plus&minus. You can lounge at the Sheraton. This broke up the view.

White Plains, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2003

Just got back last night from a 5 day trip to Cancun where we stayed at the Westin Regina. I read all the negative reviews on this site obsessively in the days before we left and got really stressed about whether or not it was comparable to the other hotels in Cancun (Marriott, Fiesta Americana) at which I stayed previously.

Did I have to worry? NOPE!! From the second we pulled up to the second we left, the hotel was wonderful. We stayed in the Royal Beach Club on the 6th floor and our room had a balcony that overlooked the pool and the ocean. It was coolly done in white and pale beige on stone walls, which automatically made the room feel cool. It had high ceilings and of course that yummy heavenly bed and the heavenly shower. Our beds were made and room was cleaned every day, and every night, we turned off the AC and left the balcony windows open and feel asleep to the sounds of the surf, waking up to the sun shining brightly.

The Royal Beach Club allows a full breakfast buffet in the main restaurant, which, although wasn't 5-star was plentiful and quite tasty. RBC also allows a happy hour from 6-8 with free drinks -the mango margarita is delish!!- as well as nachos with all the fixings.

The grounds were kept beautifully, the ocean side got the sunshine the morning, and the lagoon side got it in the afternoon. The wait staffs brought drinks promptly, and were very courteous. We weren't bothered at all by timeshare people.

The location was just right for a couple that wanted to be away from the zoo is that is downtown - yes, it is a ways away, but 20 minutes and $.60 can change that if you take the bus. Also there's a free shuttle to the Sheraton that will take you right across the street from the La Isla mall.

Okay, now the not great stuff:

I'm glad we didn't go all inclusive, because the menu was limited and what I did eat, (with the exception of breakfast) I didn't like. Also, it IS expensive, as is all of Cancun, but if you know this ahead of time, you can plan to eat elsewhere for lunch and dinner.

There are no in room movies and the television stations are all in Spanish with the exception of CNN, HBO, and Cinemax. They DO have TNT but not like in the U.S. - it's just a movie station there, bad movies- but who goes to Cancun to watch TV, right?

We booked our tours prior to our trip -DONT TO THIS - if you hate them, you have no recourse. If you book when you get to Cancun, you probably can negotiate a better price. We did the Senor Frog's pub crawl, which was FUN FUN FUN, but we paid the price the next morning, spending the next day lounging in the sun and swimming our hangovers off. LOLOLOL!!!

All in all, it was a great trip, the hotel was VERY nice and I'm sorry to hear about those who've had bad experiences there. Anyway, you don't have to listen to me, try it out, form your own opinion, you can always move. GOOD LUCK and have a safe trip!!

12 Thank NSBJamaica2014
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2003

It's all about expectations, isn't it? If you're used to the Ritz Carlton, the Westin Regina will not meet your standards. If you're used to Howard Johnson, the WR will be a dream. I've stayed in both, and I think WR is a better-than-decent hotel. We went for a long weekend and it was perfect: beautiful water, great tequila, quick trip from the airport.Pros: -- 2nd hotel along the strip, which means you spend 20 minutes driving to/from the airport vs. an hour+. This also means it's farther away from all the action. --The hotel is pretty and well appointed, but not magnificent. --Staff is very friendly. Try to speak a little spanish and they're even friendlier. --The beach is a good size and well maintained. Others along the strip were not. -- There are chaise lounges poolside and beachside, with the big thatch "umbrellas" on the beach. --It's impossible to get lost in Cancun and the entire strip is set up to keep you worry-free. --There is plenty to do if you're willing to pay for it. --Mango daquiri's, which are hard to come by in the Midwest. Need I say more? --The water is amazingly beautiful.The following list is of things that are cons to me. Someone else might find them the perfect, it just depends on what you look for in a vacation.Cons: --If Disneyland designed a strip mall, Cancun would be it. It's possibly the biggest, brightest strip mall, but in the end it's still a strip mall. Go to Cancun to relax, enjoy water sports, or spend time with friends/family, but don't go to Cancun to feel as though you've been to the real Mexico.--Who would have thought that you couldn't find Mexican food in Mexico? This elaborates on Con #1. Seriously, the food in all the restaurants we solicited was more "mexican light" than traditional Mexican. The restaurant owners know who they're catering to, and they know that most Americans can't/won't eat hot foods. I had to keep asking for chilis to be served with my meals.--On the weekends, any restful beachside slumber was interupted by noisy wave runners passing by every 15 minutes hoping for paying customers. Ditto on parasail boats. Truly irriatating after awhile.--Don't expect cheap prices. Everything is priced with the US dollar in mind.Final note: another post questined why there isn't any carpet in any of the rooms. I found why: We decided to turn off the airconditioning and open the ocean-side windows to hear the surf while falling asleep. We awoke to a room so humid that my hair was damp, the mirrors fogged and the floor so wet that we splashed when we walked. And I don't mean puddles here and there....the entire floor was covered in a half inch of water. Oops. Good thing there wasn't any carpet.In summary, the water is truly beautiful and the people gracious and accomodating. If nothing else, Cancun is a great introduction to Mexico that left me convinced I wanted to see more of the country. I hope you will feel the same.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member