“Westin Regina 12/03”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #67 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed December 20, 2003

I stayed at the Westin Club Regina (timeshare) for one week and two nights at the hotel. (They adjoin each other). Excellant facitlities.
Bilingual staff. Right on the beach. But very expensive for food and drinks. I opted to go to Wal-Mart and stocked up for the week since the timeshare had a kitchen. The resort offers an all inclusive for $75 per person per day which I thouth was way too much. Hotel was well run, well maintained and a beautiful facility.

2  Thank Autumn2920

Reviewed December 17, 2003

The room was nicely decorated and clean. The staff was helpful and friendly. The location was a little far from the action. Which has its plus&minus. You can lounge at the Sheraton. This broke up the view.

Reviewed December 8, 2003

Just got back last night from a 5 day trip to Cancun where we stayed at the Westin Regina. I read all the negative reviews on this site obsessively in the days before we left and got really stressed about whether or not it was comparable to the other hotels in Cancun (Marriott, Fiesta Americana) at which I stayed previously.

Did I have to worry? NOPE!! From the second we pulled up to the second we left, the hotel was wonderful. We stayed in the Royal Beach Club on the 6th floor and our room had a balcony that overlooked the pool and the ocean. It was coolly done in white and pale beige on stone walls, which automatically made the room feel cool. It had high ceilings and of course that yummy heavenly bed and the heavenly shower. Our beds were made and room was cleaned every day, and every night, we turned off the AC and left the balcony windows open and feel asleep to the sounds of the surf, waking up to the sun shining brightly.

The Royal Beach Club allows a full breakfast buffet in the main restaurant, which, although wasn't 5-star was plentiful and quite tasty. RBC also allows a happy hour from 6-8 with free drinks -the mango margarita is delish!!- as well as nachos with all the fixings.

The grounds were kept beautifully, the ocean side got the sunshine the morning, and the lagoon side got it in the afternoon. The wait staffs brought drinks promptly, and were very courteous. We weren't bothered at all by timeshare people.

The location was just right for a couple that wanted to be away from the zoo is that is downtown - yes, it is a ways away, but 20 minutes and $.60 can change that if you take the bus. Also there's a free shuttle to the Sheraton that will take you right across the street from the La Isla mall.

Okay, now the not great stuff:

I'm glad we didn't go all inclusive, because the menu was limited and what I did eat, (with the exception of breakfast) I didn't like. Also, it IS expensive, as is all of Cancun, but if you know this ahead of time, you can plan to eat elsewhere for lunch and dinner.

There are no in room movies and the television stations are all in Spanish with the exception of CNN, HBO, and Cinemax. They DO have TNT but not like in the U.S. - it's just a movie station there, bad movies- but who goes to Cancun to watch TV, right?

We booked our tours prior to our trip -DONT TO THIS - if you hate them, you have no recourse. If you book when you get to Cancun, you probably can negotiate a better price. We did the Senor Frog's pub crawl, which was FUN FUN FUN, but we paid the price the next morning, spending the next day lounging in the sun and swimming our hangovers off. LOLOLOL!!!

All in all, it was a great trip, the hotel was VERY nice and I'm sorry to hear about those who've had bad experiences there. Anyway, you don't have to listen to me, try it out, form your own opinion, you can always move. GOOD LUCK and have a safe trip!!

12  Thank NSBJamaica2014
A TripAdvisor Member
Ann Arbor MI
Reviewed December 7, 2003

It's all about expectations, isn't it? If you're used to the Ritz Carlton, the Westin Regina will not meet your standards. If you're used to Howard Johnson, the WR will be a dream. I've stayed in both, and I think WR is a better-than-decent hotel. We went for a long weekend and it was perfect: beautiful water, great tequila, quick trip from the airport.Pros: -- 2nd hotel along the strip, which means you spend 20 minutes driving to/from the airport vs. an hour+. This also means it's farther away from all the action. --The hotel is pretty and well appointed, but not magnificent. --Staff is very friendly. Try to speak a little spanish and they're even friendlier. --The beach is a good size and well maintained. Others along the strip were not. -- There are chaise lounges poolside and beachside, with the big thatch "umbrellas" on the beach. --It's impossible to get lost in Cancun and the entire strip is set up to keep you worry-free. --There is plenty to do if you're willing to pay for it. --Mango daquiri's, which are hard to come by in the Midwest. Need I say more? --The water is amazingly beautiful.The following list is of things that are cons to me. Someone else might find them the perfect, it just depends on what you look for in a vacation.Cons: --If Disneyland designed a strip mall, Cancun would be it. It's possibly the biggest, brightest strip mall, but in the end it's still a strip mall. Go to Cancun to relax, enjoy water sports, or spend time with friends/family, but don't go to Cancun to feel as though you've been to the real Mexico.--Who would have thought that you couldn't find Mexican food in Mexico? This elaborates on Con #1. Seriously, the food in all the restaurants we solicited was more "mexican light" than traditional Mexican. The restaurant owners know who they're catering to, and they know that most Americans can't/won't eat hot foods. I had to keep asking for chilis to be served with my meals.--On the weekends, any restful beachside slumber was interupted by noisy wave runners passing by every 15 minutes hoping for paying customers. Ditto on parasail boats. Truly irriatating after awhile.--Don't expect cheap prices. Everything is priced with the US dollar in mind.Final note: another post questined why there isn't any carpet in any of the rooms. I found why: We decided to turn off the airconditioning and open the ocean-side windows to hear the surf while falling asleep. We awoke to a room so humid that my hair was damp, the mirrors fogged and the floor so wet that we splashed when we walked. And I don't mean puddles here and there....the entire floor was covered in a half inch of water. Oops. Good thing there wasn't any carpet.In summary, the water is truly beautiful and the people gracious and accomodating. If nothing else, Cancun is a great introduction to Mexico that left me convinced I wanted to see more of the country. I hope you will feel the same.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 3, 2003

Our stay was from Nov.27 thru the 30th. My Girlfriend and I are both Starwood Members and this is one reason we choose the hotel. I read alot of bad things about this place and was a bit concerned before I left. I must say we had a great trip Hotel staff at check in very helpful and only 1Timeshare shark and I told her no in Spanish and never heard any thing else. Stayed in Room 1641Great Oceanfront room with high ceilings and nice balcony. Royal Beach club lounge was closed so they asked us to take the Full buffet Free of charge each day. Good deal!! And for the happy hour to goto the Lobby bar for free drinks. I must say that the Prices they charge at this hotel for food are out of this world 2 Burgers and 2 Diet Cokes 36.00 USDa bit high for burgers.
and you have no Resturantsthat you can walk to either. There is a small marketabout 3 Minutes away from the hotel Prices are a bit high but much cheaper then the hotel. i.e Beer, Cokes, Water and other goodies for your room.We will not return to Cancun as it is to much like Las Vegas with a beach I go to Mexico for the warmth of the people not for the people to just have me hand over my wallet and let them take what they want I feel 40 Bucks for a taxi from the airport to the Hotel is a bit high for a 8 minute ride.Anyways I must say the hotel was nice and cleanand can understand why people like Cancun butif you go do the A.I.
thing and I think you will notfeel as badly riped off. One last thing If you go youmust find the Rest. Lorito Joes crab house the food is GREAT AND THE SERVICE JUST AS GOOD!!!! Look for the 20% off coupon in the Miami HereldCancun edt.

5  Thank Mark C
Reviewed November 23, 2003

we loved our patio room of this architectual dream, ocean just 50 feet from our very nice room, with heavenly bed..., barrel ceiling, refrig, nice pools, for morning and afternoon sun times, excellent Italian restaurant on premise, happy hour each night at Columns bar near lobby with tasty mango margaritas ( 6-7 pm ), and tapas. friendly staff. we found it hard to leave for anything, but the frequent buses go to town every 5 min, and the hotel has a bus to it's sister hotel, Sheraton, 3 times a day. wireless internet in hotel too. we can't wait to return to the turquoise warm ocean, and beautiful Legoretta designed hotel, WOW...

3  Thank garymiller
A TripAdvisor Member
Forest Hills, NY
Reviewed November 10, 2003

Imust say, after reading some of the BAD reviews, about the Westin, I must say............. my husband and I booked our trip to Cancun - Nov 2-6 2003. I started to give my self stress Over NOTHING!!!!!! The hotel is very nice, kept spotlessly clean. The staff, from Bar, Front Desk, Housekeeping were all very polite, and friendly. ANd yes everyone does speak English for the most part, so don't be fooled. Our room had an Ocean View, ground floor and the pool was steps away.
I saw one BUG, NO Biggie, in NYC, you see things much bigger then BUGS.

As for the Hotel. It was a tad to conservative for us, but the great part, is the BUS to Downtown is just steps from the Hotel! at 6 Cents in Peso's it's fast, and safe. Note the turn-around for the Bus is 1/2 Block away for the Westin. We booked a tour for the Mayan Ruins in the Hotel with Olympus, Which is Liberty Travel's counterpart. They push the breakfast on you. We opted for free cofee. Very well run, Miguel our tour guide, loved his job, and the buffett at the Mayaland resort was fair. But it's worth it to see the Ruins!

All in all 4 days 3 night s is not enough time. The Food is decent all around, if you take the all--inclusive - it's the better deal, for drinks, and add the $8.50 u.s. for the Schrimp at dinner. Do not eat the Hamburger. Gross!!!!!!!!!!!! Tip who you felt took care of you!!!
ANd as for the Hawkers in the airport, or Time share sales people....
Easy Just say. you already own one. WOuld you waste your time. Be a wise traveler and you too will get a great Bang for the US Buck at the Westin Regina, Cancun.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member