“Honest review - Good place”

The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #65 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Portland, Oregon
“Honest review - Good place”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at this resort Nov 12-20 and it was a truly relaxing week. First I checked in at the main building and since I reserved a Royal Beach Club room they carted me off in a Chevy Suburban to the exclusive building down at the south end of the resort. Upon entering the RBC building it is clean and simple with art and tropical plants. My room was to be a King bed but they ran out of those rooms and I had to take two doubles. The front desk was very helpful getting me a new room with a better view so ask them if you want a change and they will do it. Room was very clean all over and the bathroom was great with a separate shower and tub. They supplied four mini water bottles daily and that was nice for brushing my teeth and hydrating. TV is great and you will find plenty to watch in English and of course Spanish too. The bed is super comfy and the pillows and bedding are abundant. The balcony was fabulous with an awesome view of the perfect aqua blue water and beach. There are sliding good doors that block out 99.9% of the sun and that is so nice when wanting to sleep in but you can still hear the ocean which is soothing for tropical sleep. **Do not ever sleep with doors open at all as there are mosquitos wanting your blood more than Dracula would ever. I made that mistake one night and ended up spending two days killing mosquitos and looking like I had chicken pox.

Since I was in the RBC there was daily full breakfast of everything you can imagine plus some different odd dishes each morning. One day they had spaghetti and another day was spring rolls, with breakfast! The juices and yogurt smoothies were very tasty and great for renewing after a night of drinking. Speaking of drinking, each evening there is a reception from 5-8pm with an assortment of bites and all the booze you can ingest. It was great having this since drinks can be pricey. It is totally worth it to upgrade to Royal Beach Club. I went to the Sunset bar and got a draft beer and guacamole with chips and it was about $11. Yes that is pricey so RBC we awesome to have. A margarita was about $7 and wine was about $4 so keep that in mind if you drink a lot. I would go to the RBC reception at about 6 and have a few drinks and a snack then head out for the evening. The lobby bar is awesome and the patio is really nice to hang out on. I went to Arrecifes restaurant at the hotel and had the coconut shrimp and wine for about $20 and that was very tasty. My dinner companions had the fish and they raved about it so it must have been quite good. I ate out the rest of the time or had room service. Now with room service it is pricey too and they add in 15% gratuity and 35 pesos delivery/service fee. On that note always make sure you got what you ordered! I ordered the beef fajitas one night and it was supposed to come with guacamole and an assortment of sauces (salsa etc) and all it came with was refried beans. I have to admit the fajita prep was very good but I was miffed at the lack of condiments. I give room service servers an A but kitchen and quality assurance a D. Let the front desk know if anything at all is wrong and they will help.

The beach is amazing and walking south by Club Med there is Punta Nizuc and some great Iguana watching as well as tide pools and snorkeling if you have the gear. Sadly we had no gear and Club Med were not renting to anyone not staying there. You can go to Walmart and buy the gear but I didn't go to Mexico to hit Walmart, no thanks. There are 5 pools at the resort and my favorite was the one next to the Sunset bar on the west side of the resort, not the main pool. The private pool at the RBC is lovely but not too warm so I am sure when it is super hot the water is nice but when I was there is was in the low 80's so the pool was not the greatest. The Jacuzzi is not heated either but is nice to sit in. The patio furniture is great and stylish and there are plenty of towels that you do not need to sign out for. Odd thing was that there is nobody asking you if you paid for RBC so the "private" pool is not really private and anyone can walk over from the main building and hang out there. I think when it comes to ordering cocktails or the breakfast and evening reception you have to be staying in the RBC as they ask for your room number each time you want something. They are wise to everything there. Speaking of, the service is so friendly you almost want to Facebook the staff, seriously. Anything you desire they will do their best to make come true.

All in all this hotel is wonderful with great people and a truly relaxing environment. I loved that it was at the south end of Cancun where it is quiet and beautiful.

Room Tip: Royal Beach Club upgrade is absolutely the way to go if you want a perfect stay
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate your comments; we are very pleased with our staff for bringing you great service. Thank you for sharing your detailed thoughts and recommendations! Hope you returned home fully relaxed and renovated, thank you for choosing Westin.

Be well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (756)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The 4-star review is because of the great service! I stayed at this hotel because my friend was having her destination wedding there. The hotel staff made us feel welcome and though they seemed short-staffed they did their best to accommodate a large group. The food at the restaurant was pretty good and the free buffet breakfast that came with the stay was the typical western-style breakfast.

The downsides are:
-The rooms seemed a bit dated, however they were in the middle of renovating and now I see the latest photos on the website look completely different from the room I stayed in.
-The hotel is about a 10 minute cab ride or 30 minute bus ride (less than US$1) to the main strip.

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again. It has a nice relaxing vibe but yet close and far enough away from the main strip craziness.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments! We are very glad to read about our customer service quality. Hope to serve you again in the near future.

Best regards.
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We had 2 nights stay in cancun hotel zone and we decided to stay 2 different Westin Resorts. This one is 30% price less then another one, but we think it is value for money. Staffs are very dedicated to us. Room with 15ft ceiling height with Caribbean sea view, peaceful environment.
10 min to airport but 30 min to downtown.
Try to get the discount card from concierge for their FnB consumption.
We were suggested to have a Westin ownership program tour for 90 min, we got a 100usd coupon and a free ride between 2 hotels, no regret.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

We are glad you had a pleasant stay and that our staff took great care of you! Hope you returned home fully renovated and relaxed with the breathtaking views from the ocen! We hope to see you on your next vacation to Cancun, Mexico!

Long Beach, California
Reviewed December 2, 2012

What can I say about the Westin other than AMAZING. I traveled to Cancun to celebrate a friend's birthday and honestly, the staff made this 4 day-trip quite memorable.

The bell boy greeted us at the door and grabbed our luggage in the pouring rain so we didn't have to. The staff at the counter all welcomed us as we walked towards the check-in. I've never experience anything like that. Shortly after checking in, we were greeted by name by most of the staff.

The hotel room wasn't the best appearance wise but I was comfortable. We stayed in the Deluxe room overlooking the Lagoon. The view was beautiful but i would definitely upgrade to a Caribbean Sea view room next time. The pool area looked like a cut out from a travel magazine. The pool is right in front of the crystal blue Caribbean sea and the staff there are also friendly! I recommend getting a beer or margarita while you're out there.

If you're looking for something to do while you're in Cancun, visit the lobby to talk to the Travel Agent. We were assisted by Julio. We tried to book a snorkeling trip but it was full. Julio made an effort to find us when two couples cancelled. That made our day!

In addition, the hotel food was amazing. Most of the restaurants in the hotel is 50% off for guests! Myra easily became our favorite server and we tried to make an effort to stop by the Lobby Bar each night.

Overall, one of the best experiences I've ever had at a hotel. Thank you!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for all of your positive comments we are very happy to read that our staff made your stay memorable by remembering your name and catering to your needs. We will pass along your comments to Mayra, front desk and of course concierge for helping you go on that snorkeling adventure!

Atlanta
Reviewed November 30, 2012

For the price we paid I think this hotel do not deserve the status it has. It is so much worn out. The bathroom we had was shabby and disgusting, the equipment dirty and not maintained properly. The meals are overpriced and the restaurant venue is not appealing. We left after one night and were able to find an outstanding place (Fairmont Myakoba) for just a little bit more. Westin is an insult to the value for money

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear guest,

We are going through a long term renovation process throughout the property, thank you for your comments they are valuable to us.

Kind regards,
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The price for the experience is truly impressive. It is important to note that I stayed in the Royal Beach Club and this makes all the difference.
With the Royal Beach Club room, you are in a separate building from the main part of the resort (which is at the quiet end of the hotel zone). This creates an extremely private feel during the entire length of the vacation. It seemed like there were less than 20 guests at the resort at any point! The rooms, while admittedly dated, are oversized rooms with a large balcony. The beds are to-die-for, the shower is incredible in the all-stone bathroom, the unobnstructed ocean views are impressive, comfortable AC, spa quality bath products, and robes&slippers...all combining for a true resort experience that should be double the price. Complimentary breakfast each morning and free drinks and h'oeur d'orves each evening more than make up for the price of the RBC upgrade...it is like having all-inclusive, yet you can eat off the resort a few times and not feel badly about it.
The beach is huge and you'll always find open lounge chairs. It is walking distance to the coral reefs(we brought our own snorkel gear and saved $120).
Finally, the staff is incredible. Checking in and out was a breeze, and the servers at the outdoor casual restaurant were very good each time we enjoyed meals there.
Money Tip: We chose not to give a credit card at check-in for charging meals, drinks etc. to the rooms...so you pay each time you eat, which is less convenient, but it helped us keep track of how much we spent and weren't worried about a large bill at check-out.

The resort is beautiful if you are willing to look past some very minor cosmetic issues, which ultimately makes this resort an awesome choice. I haven't tried the new Westin Lagunamar, but I really doubt that the new-ness of it would make it a better choice for the money. It's either flashy, expensive, crowded resorts...or the very nice, inexpensive, uber-private Royal Beach Club at the Westin Resort and Spa.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank vacationer_boy
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear guest,

We love how private our resort is; far enough from the crowd yet close enough to feel the energy of Cancun. We count with secluded beaches which make our guests truly let go and enjoy the beautiful views of the sea at a pretty accessible price. We pride ourselves on the comfort of our Heavenly beds and our wonderful customer service and it is always an honor to get such amazing reviews from guests like you.

Thank you for choosing The Westin brand. Hope to have you back in the near future!

Be well.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you look at my travels you will see or find me here again and again. Well it's November, and i had to come back to the Westin for one last trip for the year. The weather in November can be great around the rain, and if you plan it right it works out great. My trip was only 4 days, but the hotel was great! I love these comfortable fall asleep fast beds! Having just arrived from Rome the week before, i was jet lagged and was looking forward to a good first night sleep. The staff have been associated with this location for many years and the location in itself is one of the best due to the fact that it has a full frontal beech, with a snorkel coral reel walking distance fro the hotel. The early morning sunrises are fabulous for the photography enthusiast. All the restaurants are great including ta Palmar that holds a great reputation for its burgers. All in all, the value there as well as the location is at a higher than normal standard. P.S. do not swin in the lagoon unless you like mingling wit he alligators.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank michaelcanada
MargelyC, Social Media Coordinator at The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear guest,

We are beyond fortunate to have our property on this location. Our ocean view is bright and blue, the reef as mentioned is a short distance away, and many guests enjoy taking a walk to explore the area. We also count with a variety of delicious menu options, from our mouth watering burgers to the best meals from the sea.

Our main goal is to provide you with the best service and comfort so you can unwind and take a break to treat yourself royally with our Heavenly products. You may find our Westin at home collection products online if you wish!

Thank you for your loyalty to the Westin brand and we are looking forward to having you back on your next vacation.

Best regards!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#15 of 175 in Cancun
Great Parnassus Family Resort
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa
Sandos Cancun Lifestyle Resort

Been to The Westin Resort & Spa Cancun? Share your experiences!