“Itzy Bitzy Room--Good Hotel, Excellent Service, but Nickel & Dime”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #3 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Los Angeles, CA
“Itzy Bitzy Room--Good Hotel, Excellent Service, but Nickel & Dime”
Reviewed December 23, 2009

The Ritz Carlton Cancun has its great points, and its (surprising) low points. Without repeating others here, I do have to point out that their service in general was EXCELLENT. They were speedy, courteous and kind. The maid service was hit or miss, sometimes towels and soaps were replaced, sometimes not. We requested an Itzy Bitzy Room for us and the baby and this was awesome. The room came with a crib, rocker, high chair, changing table, Avent bottle sterilizer, Avent bottle warmer and child tub. I searched the reviews here before for specifics but couldn't find anything about this room---this is a very good choice for people with babies/infants coming to this hotel. The property is small, and the common areas are small. When we were there, the beach was entirely closed down due to Cancun's efforts to replenish the beach. This didn't bother us as the pools are nice. The construction did go on throughout the night and we heard quite a few people complain (and change hotels). Keep this in mind if you're coming in December. They are not sure when this construction on the beach will end.

For such a nice hotel, it is strange that they nickel & dime you. I don't mean prices of water, food, etc., I actually mean that there are not too amenities included (as you would find at a Four Seasons, JW, Fairmont, St. Regis, etc.) The amenities which are included are not advertised, such as: (1) free internet downstairs at the business center; (2) free child play room with Wii console; (3) free bottled water at the Mexican Cafe downstairs; (4) free coffee at the Mexican Cafe downstairs in the morning; (5) free movies in the Entertainment room. The room doesn't include a regular coffee maker, which is a pain when the novelty of the Nespresso machine wears off. Nespresso pods are not refilled each morning, and for some reason could not be found in my mini bar even then I wanted to buy them. The lobby bar does not provide you with munchies (such as chips or bread or nuts) even when you order drinks. We had to pay $25/day for the use of a refrigerator in our room b/c we needed them for the baby bottles. These are small things, yes, but things that other hotels of this caliber provides when you're on vacation. (Fairmont, for example, gives you the use of a fridge & internet free. Four Season has complimentary sunblock and iced cold water poolside and bug spray for your room. Starwood brands include free internet in the room.)

Also, there are alot of mosquitoes in your room. This is not the hotel's fault, as the mosquitoes seem to come out of the sinks, etc., but just be aware to cover up when sleeping so you don't get bug bites. Overall, the service was genuine, kind and we really enjoyed ourselves. The location is great, and the bus is easy to catch from here. The rooms are older, but overall it is very clean and the sheets are luxurious!! There are tons of restaurants within walking distance. I'm not sure if I'd stay here again, but it was a good stay and I'd recommend this place in general.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maryland
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We stayed at this Ritz Carlton December 13 - 19, 2009, Club level floor with all the perks. We USE TO always stay at a Ritz and had just left the Ritz Carlton in Fort Lauderdale (after the boat parade) to stay at the Ritz in Cancun.
Service, food and staff were great. Another review mentioned the maid service. Agreed! Never enough towels, we had to call 3 times during the stay to get service.
The beach restoration was a sight! Interesting to watch but made strolling along the beach impossible.
One evening when returning on foot from Harrys for dinner, I noticed two empty flag poles. Questioning the doorman, I was told the American Flags were removed and not allowed to be flown. I was told it was for my own safety. I took note of the other flags; France, China, Canada, Mexico and reflected what the United States has done and does do for these countries. I certainly did NOT feel SAFE in a country that would not fly my country's flag. We remained nervous the rest of the trip and I was glad to land in North Carolina to catch a flight back to D.C. I will have to admit, the men in uniform I saw in the airport in North Carolina after returning home, brought a sense of pride to me. For them, I will never stay at a Ritz Carlton (here at home in the U.S.A. or abroad) and will never return to Mexic o.

Maryland
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We got a last minute deal and could not have been more pleased. This was our first time in Cancun and at a Ritz Carlton. The hotel is elegant in a casual way, the staff was friendly, and the service superb. I had a great massage in the spa (be sure and try their friut juices). We arrived on a Tuesday and the occupancy rate was only about 15%, up to 55% by the weekend, so obviously the hotels have taken a big hit due to the recession. We left on the day they closed the beach for the reclamation project. I guess there's no good time to close the beach, but I would not have been happy if that had happened while I was there.

thebingohall
Reviewed December 21, 2009

Not to just rehash all the other reviews this really is a fantastic hotel. The view, staff, food and hotel is amazing. Watching the sun come up in the morning put me into awe. And the sunset is beautiful from the Club Lounge with cocktail in hand.

The club lounge is a must. It is worth the extra cost. Just to have a place to veg out from the sand and sun for a while it great. Just to have a cool drink and read the lounge is a great place. You can also brush up on your Spanish with the staff.

This is my 6th time to the Ritz and it surely won't be my last. Cheers to the Ritz Carlton Cancun. They make it hard to leave the property.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
new york
Reviewed December 20, 2009

we just arrived (12/20/09) at this lovely beach hotel (we have stayed several times before) only to be told the beach is closed for 5 days due to a 24 hour a day beach reclamation project by the town of Cancun..

Apparently, it was meant to be done in the slow season, but politics got in the way, and the hotel claims ( we simply dont believe them) that they were only told about this yesterday (yeah, right).

So we sit in our room listening to 5 earth movers, with that annoying beep-beeping, working all night on the beach. Can't imagine how noisy it will be at the pool tomorrow, which faces directly onto the beach.

we have found another hotel from tomorrow (by huge luck), but anyone coming for the upcoming holidays, you have been WARNED!

This experience reflects very poorly on tourist friendly Cancun, and on the ritz carlton hotel.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
dallas
Reviewed December 16, 2009

Our stay in early December at the Ritz was again first class. We had a Club Level room, and as we have had this accommodation several times in recent years, were interested in seeing what had changed. First, the Club Level Ritz people were as friendly and helpful as ever. New manager Angelica was helpful, and assistant Ohdemaris was unusually friendly. The beverage service was as good as ever, the Pina Colada's excellent. You said you want picky? OK. No longer are Ritz houseshoes provided. The robes were there, but no houseshoes. The maids didn't automatically replenish the toiletries (if you had stowed some away in your luggage). They assumed that if you needed more soap, just go to your suitcase and get a bar!!?? For the evening snacks, there used to be a chafing dish with hot snacks...no longer this year. And of course they did away with their mid-afternoon "tea time". Used to be five food offerings a day, now just four. But if you're lucky enough to be staying at Club Level at the ritz, you can put up with these changes. I'm sure the economic situation has demanded some of them. ... It was interesting to look northward up the beach and see the restoration procedure coming. An amazing sight. It looks like the restoration will arrive at the Ritz area beach about January 1st. We were told that it moves southward about 1 kilometer a week. The job they are doing is unbelievably superb. Now fingers crossed that the next hurricane or tropical storm doesn't wash it all away.

Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 6, 2009

This was the 3rd year at the Ritz in Cancun , club level and a new manager, Angelica De la Cruz. . We were again, Mother and 2 adult daughters. It was all we expected and more. The service and food at the club level and the suite was great. The restaurants and spa and pool wonderful as usual. This time we hit bad weather and we still had the best time. The spa and fitness center were where we spent most of the bad weather days, as well as the club level for excellent service, food, drink. We are never disappointed at The Ritz Carlton in Cancun. Angelica made us feel right at home, except we do not have such luxury at home.
Can't wait to go back next year. See you next year, Angelica, our Cancun Sister.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family