“Spectacular, Wonderful Ritz Carlton Hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #3 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 16, 2004

August 10-13, 2004--Just got back from Cancun and we absolutely loved it. The best part was the service and the staff at the hotel. The staff was very attentive, friendly and extremely helpful. They assisted with every detail of our vaction, from the day tours, to dinner reservations, transportation to and from the hotel to the airport, and around town transportation. We checked out Friday morning, but after we went to the airport we found out that our flight was cancelled on Frinday, 13/8/04 due to Hurricane Charley. So we decided to guo back to the Ritz and they were so accomadating they gave us back our same rooms, we were so relieved. I would definitely visit this hotel again. I would not change a thing. Just keep up the good work Ritz. You guys deserve a 10 diamond star award.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (3,014)

Reviewed August 16, 2004

I've just returned from my first trip to Mexico and my first stay at the Ritz Carlton. First a few words about Cancun. If you are looking for authentic Mexico, this is not the place to go. I felt as if I were in Miami or Orlando the entire week, even some of the locals agreeded. The day trip to Chitchen Itza made the entire week worth the stay. Highly recommended.

On to the hotel. The lobby and public areas of this hotel are exquisite, absolutely stunning and beautiful. Upon check-in it was discovered that there was a mix up with my reservation. The hotel staff was accommodating and immediately upgraded our room to a deluxe ocean view. This simply means that I had a balcony that looked over the pool and out to the ocean with out having to crane my neck.

All rooms do have an ocean veiw here. The rooms that do not directly face the ocean will still offer a nice few if you are standing on the balcony, you simply have to look left or right as the case may be.

The staff here was wonderful, everyone was friendly and looked after your needs. I would agree with a previous reviewer that the pool/beach service was inconsistent. We often had to flag down our waiters and had long waits for food/drinks. Only once were we bought cool towels.

I must say that I was a little disappointed in the room (5003). To have left the public areas, even up to my room door and stepped inside was a little bit of a let down. The room itself as well as the closets and bathroom were spacious. However, the furnishings and accesories in the room did show a bit of wear. The curtains had a few holes and the carpet was frayed in a few places.

I'm nit picking here but I did expect more from the Ritz. Also, the food here was good but grossly over priced. We saved a tremendous amount of money by eating dinner outside of the hotel grounds each night and discovered some interesting restaurants at the same time. We did not have a bad meal and higly recommend the Thai Lounge at La Isla shopping mall as well as La Madonna.

Both have wonderful atmosphere, excellent food and service.

18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, VA
Reviewed August 13, 2004

We just returned from the Ritz Carlton Cancun. The hotel itself is beautiful and the service is excellent overall. The only fault in the service is that the pool service is spotty. Some days it was excellent but other days it was extremely slow and waiters even forgot orders.

As for food, breakfasts at Cafe Mexicano were excellent; try the Spa Breakfast for something more healthy! Club Grill was fantastic and deserves all the praise it gets. We also tried Gustino at the JW Marriott and really enjoyed it; it's a bit more informal and less expensive than the Club Grill and thus more manageable. We went there twice and loved it both times. The one place we were disappointed in was Aioli at the Meridien. The food was so-so and the service overbearing. Our server wouldn't leave us alone and was trying to get us to buy more wine and more appetizers. They also charged $10 for Perrier which is ridiculous and they kept refilling it (at extra charge)!

The beach is beautiful. You can walk forever, especially in the morning when it is empty. The ocean was great; beautiful and clear with some nice waves and very warm.

However, if you are looking for serenity this is not the place. It is very busy and there were lots of children. I think the Ritz is an odd mix of luxury while trying to be very child friendly. We were put off by sitting in the cigar lounge sipping on our bottle of wine while having two screaming toddlers next to us at 10pm. Young children should not be allowed in the lounge at night. Also, many of the guests are very loud. Perhaps it is my New England roots, but I find shouting southerners to be obnoxious and there were many of them.

I also think that sometimes the service is too acquiescent. Serves will do anything, but sometimes they should say no. For instance, on two occaisions we had the pool servers come to where we were sitting and set up a new seat crowded in next to us simply because another guest wanted a seat with a good view. The concern was to fulfill the request of the other guest without regard to the fact that doing so intruded on our space in the already crowded pool area.

Overall, the Ritz was very nice. Our room was lovely and all rooms have a nice ocean view. Some of our experience with children would have beeen mitigated by going at a different time since August is a big family vacation month. We would go back if we were looking for a nice beach, good food and lots of sun. For peace and serenity, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2004

Our first trip to Cancun! Going for a quick weekend without our toddler, we needed quality since we were not able to go for quantity. We used Marriott rewards for one night and were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable the rates were for the other nights. We probably could have stayed at the resort all weekend. The water in Cancun is incredible, clear turquoise above white sand. The beach was not crowded, the attendants offer to set up chairs for you. There is always someone around offering to get you a drink or lunch.

We had a special birthday celebration setup on the beach in a private cabana on the beach. It was incredible.

But the service was the best! There may be nicer rooms in Cancun, but the R-C differentiates the experience with neverending quality service.

7  Thank Lynn_Lyon
Reviewed August 9, 2004

My husband and I just spent 6 glorious days at the Ritz Carlton in Cancun. The service was impeccable - most especially Karla, (the concierge manager) Domingo and Gabriel on the club level and Ramon and Rigoleto at the door. I reccommend staying on the club level; it's perfect for breakfast and a light lunch and mid-day tea. The Club Grille was deliscious and definately deserves it's 5 diamond rating. I also recommend a romantic dinner on the beach under the palapa. It was beautiful! The only restaurant that we went to outside of the hotel was Puerto Madero; great for the ambience, but we did get a touch of Monetzuma's from there. We're thinking of returning for the Christmas holiday!

• Stayed: August 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 7, 2004

We spent five nights at the incomparable Ritz-Carlton in Cancun at the end of July. It would suffice to say that we enjoyed the entire experience so much that we never left the property. The rooms were lovely, the staff is exceedingly well trained, the food is wonderful and the employees and management seem to really care that you are enjoying yourself.

We've been fortunate to stay in a number of great hotels including many Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons properties. We would rank this number one in terms of resort hotels that we've gone to. We are looking forward to going back for longer than five nights next time.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 22, 2004

We just returned from Ritz-Carlton Cancun and it surpassed all expectations. We were upgraded to club level and it was the best! We had a 14 year old with us and she loved all the food presentations.My husband and I loved all the free food and drinks. The service was perfect in every way. The staff never seemed to expect tips. The place is beautiful.When in Cancun, I can never go anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2004