“relaxing”

Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
DownEast and Acadia Maine, Maine
“relaxing”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

this plase is where to hang out for New Years eve. We have stayed here three times around the that Holiday. They have a great beach party with a dance floor over the sand beach with cocktails. The food here is delicious.

Room Tip: stay in the cocierge level its wort the money
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mysl65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My guest and I stayed here for two nights with Club Level accommodations July 9 thru 11. Upon arrival, I can tell you that I don't think my own Mother has ever greeted me so warmly!! Once we passed the gated security, the treatment I received made us feel like celebrities. We arrived a bit before check in but it was no problem. In fact, we did not even have to check in as we were whisked away to the Club Level immediately only to find more friendly staff with cool towels and sparkling wine. Like I said, Mom never did that!!!. The process could not have gone smother and after a few formalities, the very pleasant Alicia Munoz and Jocelyn Garcia directed us over to what was a beautiful presentation of luncheon goodies, along with any beverage of your choice, and I mean ANY, but more on that later. While I do think the extra costs are justified simply because if you were to pay for drinks, food and snacks during the day, poolside, it would most likely be more than the additional cost to upgrade but the selection of food could have been a bit more robust. The room was an ample, king sized room, well decorated with marble bath and separate shower. The view from the room was beautiful. The pool area was clean and the staff was very attentive. The beach had more than enough lounge chairs for the guests and a HUGE shout out to one of the employees on the beach. Eduardo Ake Ku was outstanding in the performance of his duties. We didn't want for a thing and he made sure we were comfortable in every way before he left us. He should be recognized for his attention to detail and personal service. Lastly, our greatest shout out goes to Rene Ramirez, Club Concierge Manager. When I tell you this individual made sure his guests were provide with not just a hotel stay but memories for life, its probably the understatement of the year. As I said earlier, at the Club Level they made sure you had any beverage you wanted. Well, my guest wished for coconut water, however, the staff said they did not have it and that they were sorry. We understood that such last minute requests could not always be honored, thanked them and went to the beach for the afternoon. Not more than an hour later, Mr. Ramirez, dressed in his suit and tie, followed by another employee walk onto the beach with coconuts that had been just cut down from a tree and opened with straw attached to gain access to the water!!!! Now, my friends, THAT is what you call service at its best!! I could not be more pleased or impressed with my stay and my only regret is that I cold not stay longer.

Room Tip: Pool View, which provides you with ocean view as well. The higher the floor the more private the ba...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SNP1000
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights and loved my room, balcony, the view of the Caribbean Sea, the staff are ever so friendly, polite and helpful. It surprised me that the wifi is not included as standard especially in this day and age. However, a lovely treat to myself and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Penny C
Venice, California
Reviewed July 10, 2014

we have a wonderful stay at the ritz. even though some of the reviews gave us a pause, but the hotel was fantastic. yes, there were a couple of facility issues, but the service was excellent, the attention to detail was much appreciated. yes, food is expensive at the hotel but it was pretty good. we had dinner at the chef's table, which we enjoyed immensely. basically, it was a private dinner with a chef at the ritz's culinary center. worth the $150 per person. my husband especially enjoyed the wine pairing. we were able to drop off our daughter at the kids club for a night out.

if you like the ritz experience, i would caution booking tours with the ladies in the tour agency at the ritz. or you will need to be very specific about expectations of the tours. we went on a tour recommended by the tour ladies, and it was disappointing. i did let the hotel manager know, and he suggested that we always work through the concierge.

there was a stinky smell on the lobby of the floor we stayed at, but it was not to bad. that's what i mean by facilities, some days there were folks fixing a leak on the tiles, and on the last day, our room also leaked. but even with these flaws, i would still recommend the ritz. the location, service, quality, are unmatched...and you pay for a peace of mind. the ritz is consistent with its high level of service, we've stayed at the ritz across the world, and we will continue to do so. there is really no need to worry when you're at the ritz. and that's why i enjoyed the vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank abitofsun
Reviewed July 9, 2014

After missing the ferry to the island we were stuck without a room for the night. We checked into the Ritz and I did not want to leave. It was perfect. The staff was so professional, and attentive to everything we needed. We decided to swim at 12 because it had been a long day and a maintenance worker went and got us a big stack of towels without being asked. He did it with a smile and he disappeared until we were done our midnight swim. The next morning we had room service deliver breakfast poolside. The food was excellent! I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I don't imagine the hotel has a bad room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank erin n
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is a bit strange – the staff is very welcoming and sincere which you expect from a Ritz Hotel. Out stay was ok but I had expected a better experience from the hotel. It is an old hotel with a strange set up. I suspect that Ritz did not build it but rather bought and renovated many years ago. There are atriums with jungle plants, totem poles and two styles of rooms – older old lady style and newer better designed rooms. There are at least 5 types of water in each room – like Russian roulette – some are complimentary and some are $7/bottle – but no direction to let you know which is which.
The pool is heated either by sun or furnace to a temperature which is certainly not refreshing. Its hot water which doesn’t help cool you down when you are sitting in the hot weather. The Hotel is in Mexico and after 4 days I still couldn’t figure out how to get Mexican food – the restaurants are the same but they change names during the day and menus – for some reason we felt like having Mexican food while in Mexico but it was not available at night. It is available if you sit on a terrace in one place and order off the menu… I think.
During the day, the beach is great – very nice beach and the water is refreshing. The service is not very good – but I suppose good for Cancun. I have noticed that service is much better in Myakoba and Cabos. The staff is very nice if you ask, they will do anything but at other resorts you don’t have to ask for a towel, umbrella, water, etc.
The wifi is a full day activity. Everytime you try to connect, a screen pops up and asks you to buy a subscription. Once ordered, it happens again and again throughout the day on each device. I had two devices and my wife had one. We spent over an hour each day buying subscriptions and never had a good connection. Maybe its best to forget about the wifi and enjoy the beach - I think thats the message. Upon check out, you are charged for each access - like 25 devices for each day...I still cant figure it out. Most other hotels in this rpcie category dont bother you to pay for wifie and it works.
If you go, ask for a room that is modern and don’t wait for service – ask for everything. The concierge is great and they will help with everything with a big smile. After coming home, Im not sure I was actually in Mexico or some strange hotel time machine.

Room Tip: modern room with a view of ocean
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank RR22RR
Nora R, Executive offices at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience and observations about our hotel. I'm glad to see that overall you enjoyed our service as well as the warmth Mexican hospitality of our Ladies and Gentlemen. Your feedback is much appreciated; I was sorry to hear about the inconveniences with the Internet connection and the confusing bottle water offered in the room, I will address these issues with our Systems manager as well as our rooms’ division director to prevent these issues to happen in the future.
We truly appreciate all your comments which I will share with the management team and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am at a lucky stage I life where I have my choice of hotels. I tend to favor high end brands because as someone still heavily engaged in working, when I shut down I don't want to lack for much. That means I want to feel like I lack for nothing by way of service. The staff and management of the Ritz in Cancun make you feel like you are the only guest they have.

I recommend - highly - that you stay on club level, floors 8 and 9. Floor 8 is easier because that is the floor the Club is on. You have your own concierges up there and a substantial staff that looks after you while you view the ocean out the windows and enjoy 5 separate settings. I was there four nights and spent time I might have otherwise spent in the room in the Club. I got to know the staff up there. They even helped me with my Spanish.

The fitness center is substantial. The spa wasn't as robust. The rooms and hotel itself is not new in any respects and could use an eventual updating. But the service will dazzle you so much that physical shortcomings are not relevant.

Room Tip: Go club level and go 8th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends