“wonderful stay...a few flaws”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Venice, California
“wonderful stay...a few flaws”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

we have a wonderful stay at the ritz. even though some of the reviews gave us a pause, but the hotel was fantastic. yes, there were a couple of facility issues, but the service was excellent, the attention to detail was much appreciated. yes, food is expensive at the hotel but it was pretty good. we had dinner at the chef's table, which we enjoyed immensely. basically, it was a private dinner with a chef at the ritz's culinary center. worth the $150 per person. my husband especially enjoyed the wine pairing. we were able to drop off our daughter at the kids club for a night out.

if you like the ritz experience, i would caution booking tours with the ladies in the tour agency at the ritz. or you will need to be very specific about expectations of the tours. we went on a tour recommended by the tour ladies, and it was disappointing. i did let the hotel manager know, and he suggested that we always work through the concierge.

there was a stinky smell on the lobby of the floor we stayed at, but it was not to bad. that's what i mean by facilities, some days there were folks fixing a leak on the tiles, and on the last day, our room also leaked. but even with these flaws, i would still recommend the ritz. the location, service, quality, are unmatched...and you pay for a peace of mind. the ritz is consistent with its high level of service, we've stayed at the ritz across the world, and we will continue to do so. there is really no need to worry when you're at the ritz. and that's why i enjoyed the vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank abitofsun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 9, 2014

After missing the ferry to the island we were stuck without a room for the night. We checked into the Ritz and I did not want to leave. It was perfect. The staff was so professional, and attentive to everything we needed. We decided to swim at 12 because it had been a long day and a maintenance worker went and got us a big stack of towels without being asked. He did it with a smile and he disappeared until we were done our midnight swim. The next morning we had room service deliver breakfast poolside. The food was excellent! I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I don't imagine the hotel has a bad room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank erin n
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is a bit strange – the staff is very welcoming and sincere which you expect from a Ritz Hotel. Out stay was ok but I had expected a better experience from the hotel. It is an old hotel with a strange set up. I suspect that Ritz did not build it but rather bought and renovated many years ago. There are atriums with jungle plants, totem poles and two styles of rooms – older old lady style and newer better designed rooms. There are at least 5 types of water in each room – like Russian roulette – some are complimentary and some are $7/bottle – but no direction to let you know which is which.
The pool is heated either by sun or furnace to a temperature which is certainly not refreshing. Its hot water which doesn’t help cool you down when you are sitting in the hot weather. The Hotel is in Mexico and after 4 days I still couldn’t figure out how to get Mexican food – the restaurants are the same but they change names during the day and menus – for some reason we felt like having Mexican food while in Mexico but it was not available at night. It is available if you sit on a terrace in one place and order off the menu… I think.
During the day, the beach is great – very nice beach and the water is refreshing. The service is not very good – but I suppose good for Cancun. I have noticed that service is much better in Myakoba and Cabos. The staff is very nice if you ask, they will do anything but at other resorts you don’t have to ask for a towel, umbrella, water, etc.
The wifi is a full day activity. Everytime you try to connect, a screen pops up and asks you to buy a subscription. Once ordered, it happens again and again throughout the day on each device. I had two devices and my wife had one. We spent over an hour each day buying subscriptions and never had a good connection. Maybe its best to forget about the wifi and enjoy the beach - I think thats the message. Upon check out, you are charged for each access - like 25 devices for each day...I still cant figure it out. Most other hotels in this rpcie category dont bother you to pay for wifie and it works.
If you go, ask for a room that is modern and don’t wait for service – ask for everything. The concierge is great and they will help with everything with a big smile. After coming home, Im not sure I was actually in Mexico or some strange hotel time machine.

Room Tip: modern room with a view of ocean
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank RR22RR
Nora R, Executive offices at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience and observations about our hotel. I'm glad to see that overall you enjoyed our service as well as the warmth Mexican hospitality of our Ladies and Gentlemen. Your feedback is much appreciated; I was sorry to hear about the inconveniences with the Internet connection and the confusing bottle water offered in the room, I will address these issues with our Systems manager as well as our rooms’ division director to prevent these issues to happen in the future.
We truly appreciate all your comments which I will share with the management team and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I am at a lucky stage I life where I have my choice of hotels. I tend to favor high end brands because as someone still heavily engaged in working, when I shut down I don't want to lack for much. That means I want to feel like I lack for nothing by way of service. The staff and management of the Ritz in Cancun make you feel like you are the only guest they have.

I recommend - highly - that you stay on club level, floors 8 and 9. Floor 8 is easier because that is the floor the Club is on. You have your own concierges up there and a substantial staff that looks after you while you view the ocean out the windows and enjoy 5 separate settings. I was there four nights and spent time I might have otherwise spent in the room in the Club. I got to know the staff up there. They even helped me with my Spanish.

The fitness center is substantial. The spa wasn't as robust. The rooms and hotel itself is not new in any respects and could use an eventual updating. But the service will dazzle you so much that physical shortcomings are not relevant.

Room Tip: Go club level and go 8th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank cashnickerson
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Just returned yesterday from four days at the Ritz. I can honestly say the property, staff and service is some of the best, or the best I have ever experienced.

We had a one bedroom, two bath suite (renovated) ocean front. Really beautiful. I rented a cabana on the beach for the entire stay. Four of us were travelling. One of my mates, who travels the world for business said it was the best "beach" service she had ever had. We are all picky New Yorkers so that statement means something. Ice pops, cold towels, sweeping the sand away, constant fresh towels ect ect ect. Can it get better? I doubt it.

The beach is "flattened" daily, meaning its very smooth from hotel to water. If you walk the beach you will see what a difference that makes from the other properties. The pools are very clean though a little warm.

Everyone was beyond polite and professional. We had all breakfasts at the buffet and all lunches out at the beach. One dinner at Fantino which was great.

Honestly you can't go wrong here. I know some reviewers have complaints but this is the second time we have had an amazing stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean "views" some are ocean front.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank genomecop
Houston
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I'll start with the obvious: stepping into the lobby is like stepping back in time to the glam of the 80's. Pink and black marble, crystal chandeliers, mirrored brass, wooden antiques. "The 80's called and they want their hotel back." However, in my opinion it's more welcoming than the cold chrome and glass of some of it's more modern neighbors.

But don't let that fool you. Everything is in top shape, perfectly maintained. The staff epitomizes old school class, charm, and attention to the details of pampering you.

The guest rooms are under renovation, so be sure to request an updated room as they are modern and comfortable. View from room? Beautiful!

The beach has soft, white sand. The Ritz has much more beach than it's neighboring all-inclusive resorts. More than enough loungers, umbrellas and towels to go around. Attendants serve you on the beach--won't get that at every all-inclusive unless your a timeshare owner or pay extra for VIP.

The Caribbean waters vary from clear to turquoise to sapphire to deep blue. Water can be rough, but my family loves body surfing and wave jumping so we actually enjoyed it.

Food? Gourmet. Drinks? Perfect! Service? Unparalleled! We dined at all of the restaurants, including the culinary center (a must!) and were never disappointed.

We had considered an all-inclusive hotel close by, and actually endured a tour and timeshare sales pitch to obtain a day pass to compare to the Ritz. So glad we didn't stay there! Loud, crowded, impersonal, service lacking, nasty food at lunch. All style, no substance. Even though the property is marketed to,the younger crowd, our 16 year old was ready to go,back to the Ritz after less than 2 hours.

Yes, the Ritz is pricy, but you get what you pay for. We compared out final bill with what we would have paid to stay at the nearby all-inclusive and the cost was about he same. However, the service, pampering, luxury, space, and quality at the Ritz blew that other place out of he water! No comparison.

I'm usually ready to get back home by checkout, but was honestly sad to leave my home away from home in Cancun. We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room. Ocean view rooms have almost same view as ocean front so if you'...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Jennifer S
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2014

First, I'm a shameless fan of all things Ritz-Carlton and enjoy their properties more and more with each stay. My husband and I had a wonderful stay on our recent trip to Cancun. From our transportation from the airport and back which we pre-arranged through the hotel, everything was superb. We enjoyed the friendly and attentive (but not overly affected) service all the way from the front desk out to the waiters on the beach. Housekeeping did a great job of servicing our room each day and evening, and the food and drinks (especially the Margarita Ritz-Carlton) were delicious. On two nights, we were able to attend a tequila tasting at The Club Grill and a chef's dinner in the Culinary Center which far surpassed our expectations. Of course, we paid a bit more, but, in our book, it was well worth it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple