“Experience not RC Worthy” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #5 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Cancun, Mexico
“Experience not RC Worthy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many RC throughout US and abroad. This facility, with outdated furnishings, incompetent staff and idiosyncratic policies does not deserve to be considered part of the chain.

The first issue we experienced was at check in. Almost every resort upon check in will provide hot, weary travelers with complimentary cold cloths, cool drinks and a snack. There was nothing upon arrival. It wasn't until we got to our rooms did we notice two beers in a bucket next to the honor bar. It was/is unclear if complimentary.

Second, RC is known for providing children with small sizes robes, children's toiletries, etc. There was nothing for our children.

Third, we requested set up for our baby. The mini crib that arrived was rusty and had hairs on it. We had to use antibacterial wipes to scrub down. On the plus side, the diaper genie which came upon request was nice but the bottle sterilizer was missing the wires, instructions and tank was not operational. In addition, I am thankful I traveled with a portable bath tub or else my infant would have been stuck.

Fourth, in one of our rooms a guest got sick. We requested a cot and was told we had to pay $50 extra a day. This was outrageous! We weren't bringing in any extra guests. We just wanted to insure that the rest of our family didn't get sick.

Fifth, we pre-reserved a cabana or casita for our stay. On the phone with the concierge, we were told it cost $167 each day and only fit two adults sitting and four adults standing. Thank goodness we didn't take the concierge advice and reserve two as we were pleasantly surprised when we found four lounge chairs in our casita. Essentially we felt the concierge was trying to purposely mislead us into spending extra money. In addition, the concierge became very difficult and told us it was preferred to rent casitas in 3 day increments. When I explained we only had 4 days at the beach he said fine. However, who says this to guests?

Sixth, we had additional troubles with the concierge: one member of. our party requested names of family friendly restaurants only to be told by him that he can only say if the restaurants are family friendly if we tell him the name. We didn't know any so he couldn't help. Another concierge suggested we go to the sushi bar on Friday nite for dinner. Imagine our surprise to show up and have it closed! When we went back to the concierge he stated he hadn't known and it was Food & Beverages fault.

Seventh, the lifeguards are putting ocean swimmers at risk. For the last four days I have observed them doing crunches, exercises, wax a surf board, chat with wait staff, guests, etc. There is no way I would allow a child to swim in the ocean with this type of lifeguard.

Eighth, last nite turn down service came at 9:30 PM. I have a room with two children and this is not acceptable.

Ninth , tomorrow there is a group who is renting out the entire facility. The resort has completely pandered to their needs and forgotten other guests that are here. We should have been notified that they are closing restaurants, using elevators for their usage, etc.

Tenth, lastly, there are things like no paper delivered to the room, free water, free coffee, free fruit, free wifi, etc. Accommodations like this really elevate a resort and make their experiences nice.

On the plus side, the beach and ocean are beautiful. The pool is the perfect temperature, the location is great.

All in all-- there is vast room for improvement and I would not recommend this hotel to any well-seasoned guest who is looking for a top notch resort.

Stayed April 2014
10 Thank Nyctripmom
Nora R, Excecutive Office at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear NYCtripmom,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments regarding your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. We are very appreciative of your choice to stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, and value your feedback as we continuously strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. We are also very committed to exceeding the rigorous guidelines of the AAA 5-Diamond Award which the hotel has had the distinction of holding for 16 consecutive years, as well as the high internal standards of The Ritz-Carlton brand. I know that selecting a resort for your stay is an important decision, especially when bringing your children and you want the experience to be positive, safe and comfortable. Our ladies and gentlemen as well as our leadership are equally committed to providing you with these benefits and we will review your commentary in great detail. Please also rest assured that our attention is equally focused on all of our guests, whether part of a group or as individual travelers; the experience of every visitor is important to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Everything at the Ritz was wonderful - we stayed with our 3 young children in a 1 bedroom suite - the room was large with many alcoves. When I set up a "bed" on the floor, housekeeping came in and turned my makeshift sleeping arrangements into a feather bed. My 2 y/o's were thrilled with their private sleeping arrangements that came with chocolates on their pillows. This was the first day of our trip and the service remained exceptional! The food was exceptional - Fantino is one of the best dining experiences I have encountered. At the causal poolside restaurant, I could not stop eating the different Ceviches. The children's menus were wonderful. They offered many healthy options - my children ate fresh grilled fish with vegetables for lunch and dinner - it tasted like it was caught that morning! We left the property a few times for lunch and dinner, but we were always disappointed when we compared the food and service with the Ritz. The beach is amazing - the sand is so fine and soft. The gym is a wonderful experience - as you are sweating on the treadmill, somebody will come by and offer you an ice cold towel. We LOVED the spa - they make you so comfortable in the relaxation room, you never want to leave! Overall, this was an amazing family vacation. The service and friendliness of the staff makes this hotel extraordinary. One thing to note is they are currently in the process of redoing all the rooms - they should be finished this year. When you book, you can request one of the new rooms.

Room Tip: You should request a newly refurnished room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank RachelfromNJ
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

It's the RITZ- what do you expect! The staff is exceptionally hospitable.

We had an Ocean facing room, so we woke up to turquoise blue waters. The beach in front of the hotel is clean and quiet. The evenings are crowded with the hotel guests- but that cant be helped, and its really ok.

The hotel building( front the outside) could have been more impressive. But the inside is gorgeous.

We had their sunday champagne brunch- It was excellent food. They had a lot of Mexican food on their menu. I am not a red meat person at all. but their pulled pork was AMAZING! well cooked, and seasoned just right. The service at the buffet was outstanding. Our waiter ensured we have everything we wanted.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dhandhania
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

The beach here is amazing just like any of the hotels on this strip and the pool is pretty decent. The rooms and the resort itself are a bit dated, they still had physical keys to open the doors! Nice big rooms though and the staff were always friendly, I was either out or drunk must of the time I was there though so it is a bit of a blur...

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jal1982
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

With Ritz Carlton, you know what you are getting. First, let me say I had no desire to go to Cancun, but a family member had business there and did not want to be alone.

Check-in: fast, friendly and upgraded from a regular ocean view suite to a huge suite (6027) that included a separate dining room in the entry, long entry hallway, very large living room and bedroom, two bathrooms and three balconies. All in great shape and usual Ritz toned-down style.

Staff at the hotel is friendly and always tried to do their best to make sure we were happy with everything. The hotel was almost full, but there was never a long wait for room service or any other requests. A couple of nights we returned to the room to find that turn-down had not been done. When I called housekeeping, it was all taken care of within ten minutes.

Food at the restaurants and pool/beach service both excellent. All room service and restaurant prices were very reasonable compared to other Ritz Carlton hotels I have stayed at.

This is a well-run hotel and I would happily stay there again. I would not consider staying at any other hotel in Cancun. The only quip I have is the $20 a day charge for internet. Finally, five star hotels like The Four Seasons have stopped charging for wi-fi, most now offer free wi-fi after years of charging their clientele of mostly business travelers who don't care because it just goes not he expense report. I very rarely stay at a resort that still charges for wi-fi and this hotel needs to get with the times on this matter.

Room Tip: The corner suites in the front of the central hotel building at the largest. We stayed in 6027, so...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank DarrenCampo
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in a few lovely hotels in Mexico we were looking forward to staying at the "superior" Ritz Carlton. I can honestly say I have never been so disappointed in a hotel ever! The service was poor and that isn't even included!
Paying top end prices for drink and what can only be described in less than average food I would expect the service to be exceptional. In truth it is far from it - we had to seek out waiters in both bars and beaches, even at the pool bar for lunch we repeatedly had to chase up then were amazed to pay $280 for a few burgers, pizza n ribs hardly Michelin star!
The hotel itself is lovely but during the day no inside bar is open even for coffee!
The pools are overall fine - noisy with children and no separate pool or private adult areas.
The seating around the pool is poor quality sunbeds not what one would expect.
The entertainment was surprisingly good at the weekends, the fabulous Barry White had us all on our feet dancing, with a rock goddess to follow. It kind of eased the pain of paying $43 for 2 large gin n tonics!!! But only kind of!
On a positive note the view was amazing from the rooms and they were gorgeous.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GinNTonicEdinburgh
Nora R, Executive offices at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience that you outlined in your TripAdvisor review. We take pride in providing exceptional customer service and facilities for our guests and learning that your overall visit did not meet your expectations is disappointing.
I was glad to learn that you enjoyed our night entertainment at the Lobby Lounge as well as the room view of our beautiful turquoise Caribbean Sea.
We truly appreciate your comments and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was a conference venue and consequently heavily discounted. Even so rates were up there so expectations were high.
On the plus side rooms were great , facilities immaculate and staff lovely and couldn't be more helpful.
When I was languishing with gastro upset ( I am sure not the result of the hotel )and feeling very sorry for myself, my wife had the staff delivering chicken and rice broth to our room. Most impressed.
On the negative ( and It's personal taste) I didn't particularly enjoy the decor or ambience.
It's expensive. As part of the conference package we received free wifi. This is normally obviously charged for. Really ? Most far more basic accommodations don't charge for wifi these days. Meals at the on site restaurants were very good but I thought very expensive.
I know this is Cancun and a big flash hotel but still -be prepared to be seriously gouged. Be also prepared for your accommodation to lead to the not unreasonable assumption by eg taxi drivers that you can handle inflated prices.
In summary - lovely place if you can get a deal but still be prepared to pay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business