“Old school charm”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #3 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

The beach here is amazing just like any of the hotels on this strip and the pool is pretty decent. The rooms and the resort itself are a bit dated, they still had physical keys to open the doors! Nice big rooms though and the staff were always friendly, I was either out or drunk must of the time I was there though so it is a bit of a blur...

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jal1982

Reviewed April 8, 2014

With Ritz Carlton, you know what you are getting. First, let me say I had no desire to go to Cancun, but a family member had business there and did not want to be alone.

Check-in: fast, friendly and upgraded from a regular ocean view suite to a huge suite (6027) that included a separate dining room in the entry, long entry hallway, very large living room and bedroom, two bathrooms and three balconies. All in great shape and usual Ritz toned-down style.

Staff at the hotel is friendly and always tried to do their best to make sure we were happy with everything. The hotel was almost full, but there was never a long wait for room service or any other requests. A couple of nights we returned to the room to find that turn-down had not been done. When I called housekeeping, it was all taken care of within ten minutes.

Food at the restaurants and pool/beach service both excellent. All room service and restaurant prices were very reasonable compared to other Ritz Carlton hotels I have stayed at.

This is a well-run hotel and I would happily stay there again. I would not consider staying at any other hotel in Cancun. The only quip I have is the $20 a day charge for internet. Finally, five star hotels like The Four Seasons have stopped charging for wi-fi, most now offer free wi-fi after years of charging their clientele of mostly business travelers who don't care because it just goes not he expense report. I very rarely stay at a resort that still charges for wi-fi and this hotel needs to get with the times on this matter.

Room Tip: The corner suites in the front of the central hotel building at the largest. We stayed in 6027, so...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DarrenCampo
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

Having stayed in a few lovely hotels in Mexico we were looking forward to staying at the "superior" Ritz Carlton. I can honestly say I have never been so disappointed in a hotel ever! The service was poor and that isn't even included!
Paying top end prices for drink and what can only be described in less than average food I would expect the service to be exceptional. In truth it is far from it - we had to seek out waiters in both bars and beaches, even at the pool bar for lunch we repeatedly had to chase up then were amazed to pay $280 for a few burgers, pizza n ribs hardly Michelin star!
The hotel itself is lovely but during the day no inside bar is open even for coffee!
The pools are overall fine - noisy with children and no separate pool or private adult areas.
The seating around the pool is poor quality sunbeds not what one would expect.
The entertainment was surprisingly good at the weekends, the fabulous Barry White had us all on our feet dancing, with a rock goddess to follow. It kind of eased the pain of paying $43 for 2 large gin n tonics!!! But only kind of!
On a positive note the view was amazing from the rooms and they were gorgeous.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank GinNTonicEdinburgh
Nora R, Executive offices at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience that you outlined in your TripAdvisor review. We take pride in providing exceptional customer service and facilities for our guests and learning that your overall visit did not meet your expectations is disappointing.
I was glad to learn that you enjoyed our night entertainment at the Lobby Lounge as well as the room view of our beautiful turquoise Caribbean Sea.
We truly appreciate your comments and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was a conference venue and consequently heavily discounted. Even so rates were up there so expectations were high.
On the plus side rooms were great , facilities immaculate and staff lovely and couldn't be more helpful.
When I was languishing with gastro upset ( I am sure not the result of the hotel )and feeling very sorry for myself, my wife had the staff delivering chicken and rice broth to our room. Most impressed.
On the negative ( and It's personal taste) I didn't particularly enjoy the decor or ambience.
It's expensive. As part of the conference package we received free wifi. This is normally obviously charged for. Really ? Most far more basic accommodations don't charge for wifi these days. Meals at the on site restaurants were very good but I thought very expensive.
I know this is Cancun and a big flash hotel but still -be prepared to be seriously gouged. Be also prepared for your accommodation to lead to the not unreasonable assumption by eg taxi drivers that you can handle inflated prices.
In summary - lovely place if you can get a deal but still be prepared to pay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Just returned home from 5 days at the Ritz in Cancun. Out of our total experience there were only 3 good things about the Ritz in Cancun. The Staff were excellent. Very courteous bi lingual for the most part but very very accommodating. The seaside restaurant on the beach was very reasonable for pricing. Security at the Hotel was excellent. Sooo if that is what your looking for go for it.
Now for the not so good stuff. $550.00 per night was steep for what you get. There is wifi but you have to pay for it....even Motel Six gives you free wifi for a $69.00/night room rate. The wifi plans are designed to be of advantage only to the Hotel. At $6.00 per hour for one device I consider this a rip off, or $20.00 per day for 3 devices.
If you missed the "free" coffee in the lobby between the hours of 6:00am to 7:00am you had to go down to the restaurant and pay $5.50 US for a cup of java. Out of 5 days I was down in the Lobby no later that 6:20 am every day as I am an early riser. 4 out of the 5 days there was no free coffee in the urn and if you waited you might wait forever for a new pot.
The Hotel convenience store is just in the Lobby across from the empty coffee urn and the Registration desk. Wow it's pretty well stocked with high margin trinket crap, but try and get any chips or food of any sort and your outta luck. Sodas no, alcohol no, snacks nothing other than a pack of 4 m & m chocolate chip cookies. No wine, virtually nothing.
The in room convenience bar, was a joke. very poorly stocked and very few choices of anything. They obviously want you to buy everything in their restaurants and pay premium prices....so if you go to the Ritz in Cancun have your airport driver (upon arrival) take you by wal Mart or some other grocery store(and there are lots) and get your stuff up front and ask for an in room fridge. Tell them you have a baby and need to keep your milk cool.
You know the experience was overall very good but we had the feeling of being set up the whole time we were there. We travelled with 10 family members(including my wife and myself), 6 of which were children under 9 years old. Not a good place to be if you have no snacks and no sodas or no munchies.
When you get a slushy at the pool, for $8.00(no alcohol) your tab adds up very quickly or a $10.00 grilled cheese. We managed (with airfare) to get away at just under $25,000.00 at the Ritz, but I must say it probably could have been a much better experience at $15,000.00
Check out other hotels as in the HZ in Cancun there are lots of them even if there are not all inclusive they would be less than $550.00 night.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank doug d
Nora R, Executive Offices at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun. We take pride in providing exceptional customer service to our guests and I am pleased to know that you experienced our commitment to this level of service during your stay. I am sorry to learn that our retail shops did not meet your expectations. We will continue to conduct benchmarks to ensure that we provide high quality products as well as competitive pricing at all our outlets.
We sincerely appreciate your comments, and hope to welcome you and your family back to The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Loved our spring vacation at the Ritz Cancun. We stayed for 8 nights in a club-level ocean front room and couldn't have been happier. Our room was renovated, which I believe all club rooms have been. We stayed on the 8th floor which is where the club lounge is located. I was impressed with how quiet the rooms were. We rarely ever heard anything in the rooms next door even though I know they were occupied. It wasn't an exceptionally huge room like some of the other resorts, but definitely roomy enough and very clean & classy. Bathroom was great, with the minor exception of the shower water pressure which could've been stronger, but again, very minor issue.

The club was fantastic, especially if you like to drink wine and mixed drinks. Those were always available. Breakfast and lunch service were excellent, but we found the dinner presentations to be a little lacking. One of the Asian food nights was really fantastic, but the rest of the club dinner presentations were just ok. The breakfast buffet downstairs in the restaurant was awesome!

One of the best parts of the hotel is the beach. The beach guys take you to your lounge chairs, set up the towels and umbrella very nicely; worth a nice tip each time in my opinion. There was never any fighting over beach chairs like other resorts where you have to wake up at the crack of dawn to "reserve" your chairs. Beach was unbelievably beautiful! Water was so warm and clear, and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that "sea lice" really doesn't become an issue until sometime in April.

All in all, I would highly recommend this resort. It's pricey, especially at peak times and on the club level, but totally worth it in my opinion. We'll be back next year! Check out the pictures of our renovated room and fantastic view!

Room Tip: Club level rooms were the best. Seems like best views are between room x004-x007, but the entire hal...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We spent 5 nights at the Ritz. The hotel is the typical Ritz style property. It is a comfortable and predictable experience. The staff was consistently friendly and frequently showed the classic Ritz mentality of going the extra mile to ensure all issues were address. The facility does not blend with the community, but we all know that when we stay at a Ritz. If you want a very authentic experience, then this may not be your best choice. Entertainment on the weekend was great. The int design was a bit worn but kept up very nicely. Overall, the hotel wasn't perfect, but you won't be disappointed staying there. What really raised this to a 5 star review were the restaurants. The grill has a great menu set to live jazz music. The food was excellent. The outdoor beach dinner was also a memorable experience- probably the best we've had in 8 years (this includes similar dinners at Four Season and Aman resorts in Asia, Americas, and Europe). The Italian restaurant was our favorite. The pre-fixe meal with wine pairings was a true gourmet heaven. We wanted to come back the next evening. Chef Roberto Vazquez made our own gourmet feast that even topped the prior evening's excellence. Bravo!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple