“TOPS in Cancún”

Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Acapulco, Mexico
“TOPS in Cancún”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We arrived again at this magnificent resort after not being here for a while. We were greeted by smiles, cold towels to freshen up and a drink on the house, you feel welcome and important. All the rooms in this charming hotel face the ocean. The rooms are very spacious and the beds very comfortable. We had a great terrace with a great view of the multicolored ocean water in Cancun. The have a wonderful beach of soft sand and excellent service. Their Concierge floor has many amenities that change during the day, nice wine and spirits complement the good food that they also offer you!. They have a real good Italian restaurant, among several other eateries My wife was very happy with the Spa and the beauty parlor. Free Wireless internet is available at the bar. If Cancun is in your plans, this is a good place to stay, we will be back for sure...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank ovelisko

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We make it a point to always choose the Ritz-Carlton, they don't disappoint. We vacation to relax and to be pampered. Great service, great food, great staff that have never fallen short. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen and Don M
Coronado, California
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Have stayed here 4-5 times before, and it would have been nice if they had told me the outside of the hotel and some rooms were undergoing renovations (pretty noisy in hotel rooms during the day). Otherwise, the food and service were very typical of Ritz Carlton and the beach is in great condition. Trip was in early November and weather was great and resort was not busy.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gregg W
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My stay at The Ritz Carlton in Cancun was nothing short of phenomenal. With views of the warm, aqua colored ocean, tea service on my balcony, and fine dining on the best food I've ever tasted, I'm in heaven. I feel so goodly spoiled and I'm ready for more.

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank JulieMC11
Plano, Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Did a quick getaway for the weekend and wanted to make sure the hotel we stayed in was not a rundown, spring break, Cancun regular. The Ritz definitely fit the bill.

Cancun suffered a hurricane the same year as Katrina and we were told the Ritz was shut down for a whole year. I would have to say that they rebuilt it to its original glory days. The hotel is typical old world charm, as with most in this hotel chain. Elegance is around every corner, the employees go out of their way to please, the beach is beautiful and well kept, the cabanas are worth the extra money, the pools are beautiful, the food good, the drinks cold. The rooms are extremely comfortable and well appointed. There were a few areas that are a little worn, but that can be expected at any beach hotel. Regardless, nothing that would keep me from coming back. We loved the place so much that we didn't venture out that much except for some food and some sightseeing.

Ps. The Marriott next door looked nice as well.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PlanoJay
Gurnee, IL
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Perhaps I'm a newbie to the world of ultra-luxe, but I was wonderfully, perfectly content to receive the high level of attention and pampering that the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun delivered for my brief stay last week. Granted, it was easily the fanciest hotel I've ever stayed in (including my honeymoon decades ago), but I'm pretty sure my expectations of service and detail are high enough. Benchmarking this, I've read some adjacent reviews here on T/A, and find it necessary to offer a couple of corrections (never did that before!) - and here goes...

I booked this little package through Travelocity: even traveling solo (with no pre-paid room upgrades), I was given a huge corner suite upon simply requesting a king bed on check in.
I was floored that the maid FOLDED my clothes which were draped over some chairs, neatly laying out items on the clothes horse. As to the other reviewer's statements, I received and used FOUR pods of coffee each of my five days; there were NO charges added of any kind. Also - the water in Cancun is ABSOLUTELY potable (and has been since my first visit in 1986!). How do you think the ice machines down the hallway provide safe ice for your darn drinks? I found the little water bottles a convenience (gratis, of course) to bring along on day trips to town, etc.

With regards to food prices, you have to watch the menu. The beach bar was the most reasonable, but the morning breakfast buffet (at $35.00us) rivaled any better Sunday brunch stateside, at a comparable price. At every turn the level of personal, caring attention warmed my heart - watching a server fuss over the angle of layout on the buffet, the daily ritual of bedtime turndown (the legendary chocolates on the pillow) with a fresh bottle of water/glass, foot mat, and the TV turned to the dolphin channel....I could really get used to this!

The fact that my maid, Veronica, remembered my name even when passing me in the hall, and the desk staff likewise (without prompting from a list) - to me this defines the premium hotel experience. Inquiries were constantly made as to my stay's contentment, lush with details mentioned only in passing. These folks aren't just trained - they're motivated.

Room Tip: Corner suites have wraparound balconies with a table, and two each chaises and chairs. Access from...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank HarryBGurnee_IL
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a few days at this hotel while on vacation in Mexico. Overall, the hotel is fine, if not a bit run down. The rooms are sparsely furnished and have clearly not been updated in years. We booked the hotel through the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts Program, which was a steal and included free breakfast each day, a $100 resort credit, room upgrade, early check-in and late check-out. We also received the fourth complementary night.

All of the restaurants were way over-priced (ex. the average price for a single sushi roll was $22.). Although the restaurant by the beach was conveniently located, $25 for a side salad with some shrimp was way over the top. There are several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Puerto Madero and the Crab House), many of which get good reviews online. I don't mind paying for a good meal, but the high price point was not represented in the food.

Otherwise, the hotel just seemed a bit old and some of the newer hotels in the same area, such as Secrets, looked modern, clean, and top tier.

Some nitpicky things:
- Each room comes with a nespresso machine, but in the fine print it says only two of the pods are complimentary during your stay. This was the first time time I have seen that in a hotel, let alone a Ritz.
- The water in Cancun is not potable, but the hotel only provides like 2 tiny, complimentary bottles of water per day. Buying water at the hotel can be an expensive undertaking.
- Most rooms have beautiful terraces, but no outdoor light. Once it is dark outside, the terrace kind of becomes useless.
- The airport transfer through the hotel is ridiculous. Go online and book a car service with one of the many reputable companies in CANCUN. If you speak Spanish like my wife and I, you can just get into a sitio/authorized cab and be on your way.

Room Tip: There is a pharmacy less than a 90 second walk from the hotel's main entrance. Buy you sunscreen...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple