The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
$337
$330
$817
$800
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
$465
$356
$269
  • Pool
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
$803
$427
$508
$474
3,181 results
All reviewsclub levelculinary centerclub grillechef rorycafe mexicanoocean frontlobby loungefitness centerfour seasonsper daycold towelsbreakfast buffet ismy pleasureluxury hotelbeach serviceoceanfront roombeautiful property
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Did a quick getaway for the weekend and wanted to make sure the hotel we stayed in was not a rundown, spring break, Cancun regular. The Ritz definitely fit the bill.

Cancun suffered a hurricane the same year as Katrina and we were told the Ritz was shut down for a whole year. I would have to say that they rebuilt it to its original glory days. The hotel is typical old world charm, as with most in this hotel chain. Elegance is around every corner, the employees go out of their way to please, the beach is beautiful and well kept, the cabanas are worth the extra money, the pools are beautiful, the food good, the drinks cold. The rooms are extremely comfortable and well appointed. There were a few areas that are a little worn, but that can be expected at any beach hotel. Regardless, nothing that would keep me from coming back. We loved the place so much that we didn't venture out that much except for some food and some sightseeing.

Ps. The Marriott next door looked nice as well.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PlanoJay
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Perhaps I'm a newbie to the world of ultra-luxe, but I was wonderfully, perfectly content to receive the high level of attention and pampering that the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun delivered for my brief stay last week. Granted, it was easily the fanciest hotel I've ever stayed in (including my honeymoon decades ago), but I'm pretty sure my expectations of service and detail are high enough. Benchmarking this, I've read some adjacent reviews here on T/A, and find it necessary to offer a couple of corrections (never did that before!) - and here goes...

I booked this little package through Travelocity: even traveling solo (with no pre-paid room upgrades), I was given a huge corner suite upon simply requesting a king bed on check in.
I was floored that the maid FOLDED my clothes which were draped over some chairs, neatly laying out items on the clothes horse. As to the other reviewer's statements, I received and used FOUR pods of coffee each of my five days; there were NO charges added of any kind. Also - the water in Cancun is ABSOLUTELY potable (and has been since my first visit in 1986!). How do you think the ice machines down the hallway provide safe ice for your darn drinks? I found the little water bottles a convenience (gratis, of course) to bring along on day trips to town, etc.

With regards to food prices, you have to watch the menu. The beach bar was the most reasonable, but the morning breakfast buffet (at $35.00us) rivaled any better Sunday brunch stateside, at a comparable price. At every turn the level of personal, caring attention warmed my heart - watching a server fuss over the angle of layout on the buffet, the daily ritual of bedtime turndown (the legendary chocolates on the pillow) with a fresh bottle of water/glass, foot mat, and the TV turned to the dolphin channel....I could really get used to this!

The fact that my maid, Veronica, remembered my name even when passing me in the hall, and the desk staff likewise (without prompting from a list) - to me this defines the premium hotel experience. Inquiries were constantly made as to my stay's contentment, lush with details mentioned only in passing. These folks aren't just trained - they're motivated.

Room Tip: Corner suites have wraparound balconies with a table, and two each chaises and chairs. Access from living and bedroom areas a plus.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank HarryBGurnee_IL
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a few days at this hotel while on vacation in Mexico. Overall, the hotel is fine, if not a bit run down. The rooms are sparsely furnished and have clearly not been updated in years. We booked the hotel through the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts Program, which was a steal and included free breakfast each day, a $100 resort credit, room upgrade, early check-in and late check-out. We also received the fourth complementary night.

All of the restaurants were way over-priced (ex. the average price for a single sushi roll was $22.). Although the restaurant by the beach was conveniently located, $25 for a side salad with some shrimp was way over the top. There are several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Puerto Madero and the Crab House), many of which get good reviews online. I don't mind paying for a good meal, but the high price point was not represented in the food.

Otherwise, the hotel just seemed a bit old and some of the newer hotels in the same area, such as Secrets, looked modern, clean, and top tier.

Some nitpicky things:
- Each room comes with a nespresso machine, but in the fine print it says only two of the pods are complimentary during your stay. This was the first time time I have seen that in a hotel, let alone a Ritz.
- The water in Cancun is not potable, but the hotel only provides like 2 tiny, complimentary bottles of water per day. Buying water at the hotel can be an expensive undertaking.
- Most rooms have beautiful terraces, but no outdoor light. Once it is dark outside, the terrace kind of becomes useless.
- The airport transfer through the hotel is ridiculous. Go online and book a car service with one of the many reputable companies in CANCUN. If you speak Spanish like my wife and I, you can just get into a sitio/authorized cab and be on your way.

Room Tip: There is a pharmacy less than a 90 second walk from the hotel's main entrance. Buy you sunscreen and water here. Ex - big bottle of water at the hotel was 13 dollars, same water at this place was 3.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Craig S
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We returned yesterday from our honeymoon in Cancun, and we had a wonderful time staying at the Ritz-Carlton! This was our first trip to Mexico, and stayed at the Ritz-Carlton knowing that we would be in capable hands. We experienced excellent and friendly service from the moment we stepped in the door, and couldn't have asked for a more relaxing trip. It may have been the time of year, but we felt as if we had the resort to ourselves much of the time--plenty of peace and quiet at the pool, beach and every restaurant. The staff was extremely attentive--especially our daily maid service! Our room was spotless--down to folded clothes and patio door windows washed--every morning. Our turn-down service did the same thing for us, and it was wonderful to relax and have someone pick up after us for the week.
The beach was perfect! Comfortable lounge chairs with free umbrellas available and a server whenever you were ready for food or drink.
We would definitely also recommend participating in the baby sea turtle release if you are there during the right season. It was a lot of fun to be a part of that.
We loved the dining, as the food at each restaurant is fantastic. We never made it to Fantino, their fine dining, but very much enjoyed the food and service at The Club Grill and the Lobby Lounge/Ceviche and Sushi bar.
The Ritz-Carlton was a wonderful experience, and I would recommend a stay at this location to everyone looking for a relaxing trip with fantastic service and accommodations.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view room, and it was spacious and comfortable. It seemed as if all of the rooms at the hotel would have great views of the ocean, but the relaxing patio you receive with this type of room was well worth it. Also, if you can find a deal online through Ritz-Carlton's website that includes breakfast daily and/or resort credit, it is the way to go. They had a fantastic breakfast buffet that would have been $54 USD for two people if we hadn't had it included in our room rate.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amy K
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This establishment was an unfortunate mistake my partner and I made when seeking a little R & R in sunny Cancun. Rest and relaxation were difficult to come by in what is surely the noisiest hotel we've ever stayed in. Each room has heavy wooden doors and door frames with nothing to soften the sound of the closing door, no buffers, no pads, no rubber, no foam strip, no cushioning, nothing but the sometimes jarring, sometimes shocking but always noisy slam of heavy wood on heavy wood, from early morning until late as both guests and staff frequently go about their business. But wait, there's more. As if the hallway slamfest weren't enough, within each room there are 5 more doors: bathroom, toilet stall and 3 closet doors, all heavy wood, all without buffers, creating, at times, a clamorous cacophony of closing doors no paying guest should have to endure ( oddly, there are no doors on the cabinet under the sink or vanity for toiletries, just a faux facade that fell out onto the floor when touched, revealing construction debris left behind when the hotel was built, probably decades ago.) Additionally, there is a sizeable gap between the floor and room door, in fact, it seemed the entire door was loosely hung because, at night, you could see the door's rectangular outline from the light streaming in from the hall. This enabled guests to hear the many conversations of other guests walking and talking in the hall, the electronic buzz of the walkie talkies carried by security staff as they make the rounds, as well as the day and night-long staccato rhythms of Latin-American Spanish, as spoken by the many, well-trained, friendly employees.
It's a mystery how this glaring design flaw survived the notice of the Ritz Carlton Hotel Company. Presumably, no one from the hotel chain ever stays there. Perhaps they find the rest and relaxation elsewhere. If it's peace and quiet you seek, you won't find it at the Ritz Cancun. Slam!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple