My wife and I recently spent a few days at this hotel while on vacation in Mexico. Overall, the hotel is fine, if not a bit run down. The rooms are sparsely furnished and have clearly not been updated in years. We booked the hotel through the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts Program, which was a steal and included free breakfast each day, a $100 resort credit, room upgrade, early check-in and late check-out. We also received the fourth complementary night.
All of the restaurants were way over-priced (ex. the average price for a single sushi roll was $22.). Although the restaurant by the beach was conveniently located, $25 for a side salad with some shrimp was way over the top. There are several good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (Puerto Madero and the Crab House), many of which get good reviews online. I don't mind paying for a good meal, but the high price point was not represented in the food.
Otherwise, the hotel just seemed a bit old and some of the newer hotels in the same area, such as Secrets, looked modern, clean, and top tier.
Some nitpicky things:
- Each room comes with a nespresso machine, but in the fine print it says only two of the pods are complimentary during your stay. This was the first time time I have seen that in a hotel, let alone a Ritz.
- The water in Cancun is not potable, but the hotel only provides like 2 tiny, complimentary bottles of water per day. Buying water at the hotel can be an expensive undertaking.
- Most rooms have beautiful terraces, but no outdoor light. Once it is dark outside, the terrace kind of becomes useless.
- The airport transfer through the hotel is ridiculous. Go online and book a car service with one of the many reputable companies in CANCUN. If you speak Spanish like my wife and I, you can just get into a sitio/authorized cab and be on your way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Considered one of the most elegant resorts in the world, The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun, reflects Mexico's rich architectural heritage in an atmosphere of magnificent sophistication. Minutes from many lively and leisurely attractions, our Cancun hotel resort features 363 guestrooms overlooking the sea, a 1,200-foot beach, sculpted outdoor swimming pools, a full service Spa, an impressive Culinary Center and award winning restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton Cancun Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Ritz Carlton
- Ritz Cancun