“Could be ritzier” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
long island, ny
“Could be ritzier”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here for 2 days after a week over at Le Blanc. We thought how could we go wrong at the ritz.. First of our room was amazing.. 6th floor ocean front.. Great views!!
We changed and hit the pool.. That's we're i noticed issues.. The lounge chairs, umbrellas, tables, the blue cabanas on the beach all disgusting!! Broken metal sticking out of the sides, bird pooped coushins that were frayed and tattered looking, plastic tables that I had to fight to get because there were only a handful. The smaller quiet pool had paper and straws floating in it. It was nice to have that smaller pool to be away from the kids playing in the bigger pool. The wall around the property blocked you from seeing the beautiful ocean, but the beach itself was fabulous.. The grounds were pretty, the hotel itself is very nice, we tried to eat in Fontina but were turned away since he had no reservation and the place was empty at 945 pm.. Whatever! we had a great meal across the street at a restaurant who wanted us..
Btw who still pays for wifi?? Seriously?? 10 bucks for 12 hours for only 3 devices?? What is this 1999? Annoying since every property has free wifi..overall it was nice for a few days, but I'd go back to le blanc in a heartbeat- more my style and friendlier

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mellowkat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

We only leave the property for dinner. The club level serves breakfast, lunch, and wonderful cocktail snacks at dinner. Follow dinner with their desserts and after dinner drinks.....all included . Rooms are large and comfortable...beautiful beach

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Richard J
Bristol, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

The pool area and beach are very nice. The hotel itself and the rooms seem a little dated. Housekeeping struggled to refresh items used on a daily basis. After several calls to get things replaced, eventually they did make a very nice presentation putting flowers and candles around the bathtub and leaving a pitcher of margaritas to make up for their lack of service. There are many nice restaurants on the lagoon near the hotel. I especially enjoyed Harry's. Overall, it was a very relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was excited to book a 10 night vacation for my family at the Ritz and JW in Cancun; each a 5 night award using Marriott points. As a Marriott platinum member I had read about affiliate hotels, particularly foreign ones, not honoring all the membership privileges – but hey, its points so I’m OK with that. I was especially anxious to experience the Ritz. That was until I received my reservation confirmation from the Ritz that included a $684 “extra adult charge”; that’s nearly $140 per night!! Most resorts charge nominal resort fee of $20-$30 but nearly $140 per day is outrageous! The JW confirmation contained no such charges. I don’t get it – the Ritz nightly rate on Marriott’s web site is $249, and I’m being asked to pay over half that in cash – the JW is $219 with NO FEE. A Ritz rip-off! Why would ANYONE do this? I’m cancelling and will NEVER stay at a Ritz.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Wicto
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have never stayed at a Ritz Carlton before so maybe i had unrealistic expectations but I must say I wasn't 'wowed' by this hotel. The rooms were average; nothing special about the bathrooms but I think what disappointed me the most was the complete lack of privacy on the ocean front balcony's on the floors above the 3rd floor. I was originally put into room 5001 - the closest room to the elevators where you would hear the elevator bells all the time and when I walked out onto the balcony you can literally reach over and touch the people on the balcony's next door and I got to breathe in the smoke from somone smoking on thier balcony below me. I asked for a room with a more private balcony so they moved me to room 3005 (the picture attached is from my balcony) and at least the rooms on the 3rd floor do have completely private balcony's. I can say a few positive things though; the food/drink service at the pool was very good (after noon - not so good before that); the gym was good and room service was very fast. I love Cancun and return often, but I will not be returning here; I can get more for my money at another Marriott property.

Room Tip: - if you want a private balcony ask for a room on the 3rd floor - the ice machines are located on a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank SusanG096
Hilton Head, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Although the room was clean and well-appointed, service was terrible. I was not able to secure a drink while at the pool or at the beach. It was as if I did not exist. Staff passed by, I waved to get their attention but no one bothered to try to help. When I found the door of my room ajar, I immediately went to the front desk to have security check my room. The front desk staff did not seem concerned. Security met me at my room and did a very cursory look. A friend came by at the same time and did a much more thorough check (looked in the closet, out on the balcony). It appears as if a staff member left the door open because the turndown service had been performed. I expected an apology, but nothing ---.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Sharon M
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Had me at Welcome. Checking in was quick. We were up to our suite within five minutes. We had a magnificent view of the ocean, hotel grounds, the beach and sunrise was beautiful. The staff remembered our name and were very prompt with anything we requested. Poolside service was wonderful. We reserved a cabana down on the beach and the service was great. Room service was very fast. Any meals we had at the hotel were very well prepared. Very clean. Very relaxing. There is a saxophone player in the evenings by the pool named Alejandro Jimenez he's very good and It was a little difficult to hear him by the pool because there was a competing sound system over by the bar. He came over and gave us a little private serenade. The hotel location is away from all of the noise and traffic... I had the best birthday ever here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple