“very nice resort. near perfect service.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #5 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Quebec City, Canada
“very nice resort. near perfect service.”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at this resort as part of a group attending a conference.

First, we have traveled around the world and we are not always seeking for perfect luxury, but we do have high expectations on service. Although we could not give the Ritz Cancun a perfect 5 star rating due to minor flaws, they did meet our expectations on the service provided.

The rooms: traveling as coworkers, we asked for a two double bed bedroom. Although not directly facing the ocean, we did have a very nice mostly unobstructed view of it. Our room was immaculate and spacious for the location (Cancun). The beds were very comfortable, the shower is separated from the bathtub and the housekeeping service was simply perfect.

The flaws: As mention in the previous reviews, some amenities of the hotel are in need for an update (carpets, some walls, no fan in the bathroom, better hair products). However, the hotel is kept immaculately clean from pool sides to public bathrooms and those small flaws were therefore never a problem for us. In fact, the overall feel of relaxation, luxury and friendliness of this resort over-passed by far minor details like those previously mentioned. Some people reviewing this hotel badly may have had bad experiences, but we think some others may simply never be pleased.

As far of conference goes, we were VERY impressed with the organization of it all. The conference room was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast provided was very similar (but smaller in quantities and choices) to the spectacular breakfast buffet they provide. As part of the conference group, we were provided with complimentary wifi; a "perk" that was highly appreciated.

Restaurants: beside the breakfast provided by the conference arrangements, we enjoyed the breakfast buffet every other morning. Fresh fruit are abounding, pastries of all kinds are simply delicious, many fresh juices and crepes (they even provide pure Canadian maple syrup). They also have all the traditional items (bacon, cereal, eggs etc.). We ate lunch and dinner on the resort exclusively and tried all of their restaurants.

The lunch restaurants tend to serve bigger portions so we would share a plate (burritos being a good example) and have plenty of food with the extra benefits of not feeling too heavy and saving money. Although not too fancy, it was always very good and most importantly, very safe. On that matter, we could not say enough about the unparalleled quality of food and water on this resort as far as safety goes. Anybody traveling pregnant or with young children could expect eating and drinking on the resort worry-free, a HUGE advantage for the Caribbeans.

The dinner restaurants are as expected more expensive but delicious. As food lovers, we are used of spending a little more for good food. We weren't outraged by the prices by any means (note: prices are marked on the menus as Mexican pesos, not USD!!!). Expect to pay between 20-60 USD for a main course and around 15 USD for a glass of wine. The bottom line is: it is not fast food, so you don't pay fast food price. That being said, the sushi rolls are enormous (8 pieces a roll) so you could share 3 rolls for 2 and have a satisfying meal. We tried them all: the sushi restaurant, the Club Grill and the Fantino. The last two are rated as 5 diamond restaurants. Frankly, the Club grill is overrated according to us. Our meal and service were both very good, but not 5 diamond rating good. On the other hand, the Fantino was extraordinary...so much in fact we ended up eating there twice! The food is incredible, the service refined and personalized and the live piano makes the whole experience perfect! Do expect to pay around 60-150 USD a person including a couple glasses of wine. Again, if money is a concern, it is not mandatory to take the degustation menu. You could eat 3 smaller items and be full (we did that the second time as we were not overly hungry and leaving early the next day).

The beach is gorgeous and the pools are both very clean with warmer water.

As mentioned in previous reviews, there are a few kids running around as it is a "family oriented hotel". To us, it was never a problem, quite the opposite in fact as everything seems more "alive". If for some reasons you do not wish to see one single kid in your entire stay, we would suggest you choose a resort that caters to 18+ clientele. Again, some previous reviewers may have had bad experiences, but some others may have chosen the wrong type of hotel for their needs.

At the end of the day, we would go back without hesitation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank QC_Phoenix

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alabama
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband, child, my mother, and I stayed here in February 2013 for 7 nights, and it was by far the most relaxing vacation we've taken - EVER. You simply can't beat the service provided here and we plan to return to the Ritz every year to get away from the cold winter at home!

The room - We asked for and received adjoining rooms on the 7th floor facing the ocean directly and the pool. Our room was both beautiful and immaculate. We were impressed with the housekeeping service. I've read many reviews that point out a need for the hotel to update it's carpet, etc. I can understand their point, and yes, the hotel is probably due for some updating; however, it did not detract from our trip in the least. The hotel is kept in beautiful condition. We never found anything to be unclean looking. It simply didn't matter.

Restaurants - We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning and enjoyed our meals in every restaurant on site. Also the best room service food we've ever received in any hotel.

Beach Service - We rented a cabana most days and were pampered. We felt pampered when we rented the casitas as well. The Ritz staff is wonderful on the beach! It's not tough to order/receive anything you'd like in a reasonable amount of time.

Pool - We always used the pool in late afternoons after being on the beach all day. It has a gorgeous layout, is kept very clean, is heated, and pool side service is fantastic!

Service - I simply cannot stress how wonderful the Ritz service is. From the front desk, to housekeeping, room service, restaurants, beach/pool service - it's the best we've ever seen. And we have traveled extensively.

The Ritz is where we plan to stay each time we travel to Cancun from now on. I can't recommend it highly enough!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank SweetHomeAL83
USA
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Well, I had really high hopes and high standards as this hotel is rated "five diamonds" by AAA standards. Since Cancun only has one hotel with this designation I really expected high quality. I happened to be traveling as part of a group conference, so not sure if we were treated differently due to this, but the service was not any better than a Holiday Inn in my opinion.
1) Upon arrival, the attendants did not address us by name, and even after telling them our name, they forgot it over and over. We were charged a fee tip in advance as part of the group for bellman serivces and not even explained anything by the bellman staff-no explanations of where anything was, restaurants/pool/ice machines/where my conference meeting would be, etc...this is the standard for 5 diamonds and it was not met. I had to go to the front desk after check in and ask these questions myself.
2) Also the concierge was very "loose" to say the least. I would have expected them to actually call and confirm or at least send a letter stating which tour we choose and when to arrive for the tour, they didnt and also had a very poor selection of tour choices. If going to Cancun in the future, I will definately book on my own on the internet prior to arrival.
3) The hotel is also very, very old and dated. Carpets are stained, walls are scratched and dirty with stains, doors are broken and bathroom has rust on shower and sink areas. Not pretty and definately below ritz standards in the United States. The first night turn down service was very poor, maids not bringing our waters and then the attendant was checking our fridge to see if we used the honor bar when we already informed them we had not. By the way, the fridge is ridiculously small because apparently they dont want you buying food elsewhere and storing in the fridge for later. They also never restocked our coffee distilled water for the entire stay, very inconsistent with receiving ice some days, other days not. Same with the paper, some days on the door and other days not. Confused as to why that was. They also dont have plastic bags for the ice or garbage so it´s a bit disgusing to think about using the ice bin when others have been and it is not sanitary without the plastic. Maids also didnt bring new soaps/shampoos/etc consistently and I had to keep asking for more when I found them in the hallways.
4) Next was the rip off scam they are using with the exchange rate. The hotel is quoting prices in USD for spa services and for the hotel rate online. However, when you arrive they are using their own exchange rate which is completely elevated and is 13.8 peso to dollar when in reality the banks and credit card companies are using 12.3 so basically the hotel is quoting you in dollars then charging you an inflated price in pesos using their inflated rates. So...you are paying more than it seems!!! I dont think too many people get this or notice, but it adds up over time and is deceptive. They should in the future just charge in pesos so people wont be annoyed when checking out and noticing how much more the price really is. The spa treatment I had for example was quoted as $315 and really I was charged $330 due to the hotel poor rate of xchange. Not nice and the hotel reception staff (Alejandro) was a bit snarky when I questioned this. Yes, as another reviewer stated the spa was very small and unfortunate that you cannot use for a day rate as many hotels would accommodate this. I felt a bit rushed as I wanted to use the facilities a little longer before and after my treatment but the staff was kinda spying on me in the bathroom and I felt a bit pressured to leave even though they didnt explicitly say so.
5) Pool area. Long wait for a chicken Cesar wrap, about 45minutes. Wait staff also were not picking up the old trays and glasses, and many were laying around the pool which is not good. Also, ALOT of young children running around unsupervised throughout the pool, a few kids were bullying another child and no parents or staff were stopping or paying attention to this. Also by 2·30pm the hotel building is covering the pool so that it is essentially quite shaded and you will have to hang by the beach to get any sun. Not a good design for the building.

Yes, I have high standards but this is a ritz carlton, or apparently not.... one nice thing was that the pool was very very warm and the pool attendants did try to find you a spot and bring the towels for you and set them up. I saw a popsicle man one day, one time but never again and it would have been nice to get some more popsicles. The beach is also not ideal because the locals walk around trying to sell you stuff when you just want to rest and relax. Not the fault of the hotel, of course but just a thought to maybe avoid if you are trying to sleep. Ocean was also very rough and windy. I would not let small children or really anyone who is not a strong swimmer in there, although the hotel did have a lifeguard I really would be cautious to avoid esp when the red flag is up. Cancun is very windy and the beach waves are strong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JanetPlanetUsa
London
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights, and the hotel is very dated. Really did not live upto our expectations for a Ritz Carlton Hotel. Location is good, but then all the hotels on the beach have the same good location and views. Also thought that the drinks and food in the hotel was very, very expensive for what it was. Not in a hurry to go back and doubtful we will try other Ritz Carlton Hotels after our stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Oldsurfer
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was expecting a lot from this resort based on the reviews I read on this site. However, we were somewhat disappointed with our stay during the week of March 11-17. The property is beautiful and the location is great. It is located next to the Hard Rock Hotel and close to Secrets and the JW Marriott. It is very fancy inside for a beach resort (think country club with lots of marble and mahogany). There are two pools and they are both very nice and the beach is just steps from the pool. We checked in without any issues and went up to our room on the 3rd floor. The room was fine if not average. It looks just like any other hotel room you would find at the Westin or Marriott (nothing special). However, upon further inspection, we found leftover pizza in the fridge, hair on the bed, and our balcony door would not close. We spoke with the manager who was very nice and she told us she would have another room ready in 30 minutes. The next room was on a higher level and was cleaner but once again the balcony door was broken and we could not get it shut. A repair person came and could not fix it so he said he would come back the next day. Not exactly what you want to deal with on a relaxing vacation. We spoke with the manager again and she apologized and said the hotel was starting to show some age but they were too busy to close for renovations. She ended up offering us free wifi during the remainder of our stay which, by the way, is $20 per day! You would think if you are paying $450+ per night for a room at the Ritz Carlton that WiFi would be included but apparently not. The breakfast buffet was very good and we enjoyed that every morning. I also liked that the pool attendants would set up your towers and beach chairs at the pool or beach. Wasn't very impressed with lunch at El Mexicano or Caribe. Had dinner at Casidas one night and also was not impressed but the atmosphere and jazz music was lovely. Did not try Club Grill or Fantino's because they were ridiculously priced. The best meal we had while in Cancun was at Gustino's which is at the JW Marriott a few doors down - reasonably priced and absolutely delicious. We also really enjoyed our time at the Kayanta Spa at the Ritz. Fabulous customer service in the spa and wonderful amenities. Overall, our experience was pleasant but I would expect better customer service for the prices I am paying at The Ritz Carlton. I have received much better customer service at the RC's in the United States.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for a better view and request Ocean Front not Ocean View.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Kate B
louisville kentucky
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The staff was wonderful and very helpful. The pool and restaurants were wonderful, we didn't have a bad meal. The weather was a bit windy which limited the beach activities but that wasn't the hotel's fault.
We really enjoyed our time in Cancun. There are lots of activities, trips and great shopping nearby.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank dan916
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Not sure where the other reviewers went on vacation, but this feels more like a dated Sheraton than a Ritz Carlton (have stayed at their other properties before). Currently here and cursing the place. I was told by management that they have 50 percent families with kids but feels more like 80. Kids in every pool including the hot tub throwing balls which I found out later were being handed out by the hotel as a welcome gift. Kids literally running in the main lobby area screaming, throwing things while the staff looks on smiling. Long line and wait at breakfast. Internet costs $20 a day. Inattentive staff at pool (or when the hotel is full they just can't handle the crowd). Woman next to me at lunch waited 45 minutes for her food. Complained to management who introduced me to pool area supervisor. Which was great because then I could be ignored by name.

Spa is tiny - smallest spa area I have ever seen in a "luxury" hotel and only for guests who book services, which I did, but not every day. Kids allowed in the bar area...so literally NO place for an adult (solo or couples) to go unless you want to be surrounded by kids.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo