“excellent in every way”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #3 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Started out at an all inclusive resort about 30 miles south.. big mistake. The Ritz to the rescue from the moment we pulled thru the gate. We felt at home with warm embraces, excellent oceanfront rooms. We were traumatized by the cheaper place so went for an oceanfront suite north building with a giant terrace. A fast hop down the stairs to the massive pool and beachfront.
The breakfast was amazing (used Amex Plat card deal) and every meal was terrific. At the end of the day the total per person including 2 additional hotel meals was less than a $100 pp per day more and worth every penny. The only issue is that the ocean can be very rough and is not conducive to swimming. I will be back for fast breaks in the future. Loved it!!

Room Tip: we loved the oceanfront suite with the larger terrace on the north side for great privacy.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank p r

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I have been to this resort twice and I will never stay Anywhere else in Cancun. The service is over the top, food is outstanding and I am gluten free and they went out of their way to prepare me special meals.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lisdc1
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for an all-inclusive in Cancun for a short weekend with the Kids (3 mo's & 9 yr's) and had stayed at a Dreams and Adventura Spa in the past. I'm a Marriott Platinum from all my work travel and saw there was a JW and a regular Marriott in Cancun that were VERY CHEAP, so I kept looking and saw my rate for the Ritz and said why not - forget the crappy food at an all-inclusive and lets head to the Ritz! Even if we spent 2k on food over the 5 days we were there, we were still ahead.

Ok, so the property blew me away. Much better than what I expected in terms of rooms (we were upgraded to a King Suite), location (it's still quiet even though you are in a party zone and very pretty beaches) and probably the best service of any RC resort I've been to (Maui, St. Thomas, Caymans). The property is a little tired and was to be upgraded a few years back, but it never happened. Still - they do a good job keeping it up.

Since we were traveling with an infant, we reserved their Itsy Bitsy Ritz room that has a crib and many of the things you need for a baby. It was going to be a tight fit with a roll-away, but we were going to give it a shot. Since we were upgraded to a Suite, They moved all that baby stuff to our suite and placed a crib and a roll away bed in the other room for the 9 yr old.

We ate breakfast on property for two mornings, the buffet was perfect and cheaper than expected ($29/adults, $14 kids) and we ate two nights at the lobby bar. One night was during the Superbowl and they brought in TV's and had a sports bar menu. That food was pretty good. Also had sushi the next time I ate there and it was ok. I'd pass next time and go for the regular bar menu.

I had a chance to go up to the Club Lounge a few times and was disappointed. Nothing like the club lounge in St Thomas RC. They only put liquor out from 5-8 pm, an it's very limited. The cookies were always over cooked, usually my favorite part. The breakfast and dessert menu didn't change much, as lunch seemed to have the most variety. No food for kids either. I personally wouldn't pay. They won't let you "buy into" the club level with actually buying a club room here stating exclusivity, but I bet it's also because its not a separate room, rather in the open space on the 8th floor. Also, they use real keys for the rooms there and thus can't reprogram a key card for access.

The fitness center was perfect. We didn't get to use the spa, but I heard its one of the best for a RC. Basically hung out at the pool during the day.

Went to a few restaurants in the area a night and was happy.

No question we'll be back here.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank FoxTravels51
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very nice property. Service was excellent all around. Room service was expensive but nothing outrageous. Actually better than I was expecting. Lunch at the Mexican restaurant was one of the best meals we had in Cancun.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank drtravel69
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Service was amazing even by American standars. They have been well trained for sure. Rooms are very very clean. Hotel is well appointed and trimmed out. The beach is soft and large. Water is great. Easy to walk to all kinds of cool places locally.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank baboatboy
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Year after year we keep coming back to the Ritz Carlton Cancun. We visited in December and had almost perfect weather the entire trip. The Ritz is the only traditionally decorated hotel in Cancun (that I have seen) and it feels very comfortable and inviting. We usually go 1 or 2 times per year. The beach is wonderful and the hotel is gracious and clean with perfect service. Dont forget to reserve a casita on the beach-they are expensive but worth it. You have the cover from the sun and are waited on hand-and-foot all day long,

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tomdenverDenverCO
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Am currently staying here on business. The staff are warm and friendly and can't do enough for you. The rooms are spotless with a lovely range of toiletries and a huge comfy bed. However feel that the hotel could benefit from a Coffee shop or deli. Hardly any atmosphere in the main bar and feel the menu is way over priced. I found the location out of the way also. Don't think I would book for a family holiday

• Stayed: February 2013