“Great escape from New England snow!”

The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
Ranked #6 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Boston
“Great escape from New England snow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2008

I read many of the reviews before heading to the Ritz Cancun – thanks to those reviewers and I’ll try not to duplicate here.

Overall, the Ritz Cancun was terrific and we had a wonderful time. You certainly get what you pay for there, and you will pay. But what do you expect when you stay at a Ritz?

We were going to travel with another family from our town, but they heard that the beach was really limited due to storm activity and decided to switch to Rose Hall in Montego Bay at the last minute. I actually found the beach quite nice – about 60-75 feet deep with plenty of chairs, casitas, etc. If the beach was too deep, it makes getting to the water a pain anyway. The surf was quite rough but also fun to body surf, etc.

We booked two connecting rooms with ocean views and balconies, one for the kids and one for us. The rooms were relatively standard sized, but had all the Ritz extras like mattresses with thick pillow tops, quality furnishings, gourmet coffee makers, etc. The bathrooms were nicer than most hotels have, with marble finishing, separate shower and tub, two sinks, etc.

The service is where the Ritz Cancun really excelled. I mentioned to the hotel in advance that we were arriving on my wife’s birthday, and an excellent chocolate dessert was in the room upon our arrival with “happy birthday” in chocolate sauce on the plate, and a nice balloon. The hotel staff made an effort to learn your name and often used it when seeing you later around the resort. Each of the high-end restaurants (Fantino, Ocean Room) gave a rose to each of the ladies in our party upon leaving and sent a thank you note to the room the next day. There were many other terrific touches that I could mention, but I will get to the good tips/suggestions that might be helpful to you:

- The hotel can arrange transport to/from the airport. I would recommend it if you are travelling with a larger group and don’t want to deal with local transport.

- If you are a beach person, you can rent the wooden chairs with built-in covering to moderate the sun. If more than two people, then I recommend renting a beach casita. However, the casitas often book up during high season, so I reached out to the hotel in advance and reserved a casita for the week. All of the casitas were booked each day for the week we were there.

- The pool decks lose sun about 3 PM in the afternoon due to the hotel shadow. Try to get pool deck chairs closest to the beach as those have sun the longest. The chairs start to be “reserved” with books etc. at 6:30 AM, so be an early riser (or arrange with a nice tip the pool concierge the night(s) before!) if you want those chairs.

- Even though the hotel was booked during the week we were there, the restaurants were not that full because people seemed to go off-grounds at night. I would highly recommend Fantino, Casitas, and Ocean Room (?), but they are expensive relative to off-grounds alternatives. The restaurant staff seemed to really appreciate (and expect) reservations, but we didn’t have too much trouble even getting last minute reservations to the restaurants we wanted to visit.

- We did also reserve a casita for dinner one night (reserved in advance) and that was a great experience for me and my wife. It was very romantic and I would recommend it for non-kid dining. The food and service were great, as was the crashing ocean wave background.

- The Café Mexicana (?) was where all meals could be had and it was only breakfast option. It is set up as a buffet each day, but you can order off of the menu to save a few pesos, especially if you’re not a heavy eater and going to take advantage of the buffet.

Again, I would highly recommend the Ritz Cancun if you are looking for a beach vacation with great food and service (especially if you are escaping New England snow!).

• Liked — The service was amazing.
  • Disliked — Too difficult to come up with something...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank beachbum_efh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
  • Korean first
phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

Great Hotel --- The rate while expensive did include breakfast and a $100 day credit which we tried to keep to. The service was outstanding, they are so nice and helpful -- complete opposite of what happens at most hotels in Mexico. Lobby had fresh flowers every morning, and the room had the softest nicest sheets. Great Balcony facing the ocean - room service was quick and food was great -

Quick note about Breakfast:

- The breakfast package includes the buffet - and this was no buffet -- it went on for miles! Omelet station, fresh fruit, pastries, bacon - plenty of choices -- could eat outside facing the ocean - It is $30 each without being included in the package and where the Ritz is located my only caveat would be to make sure you get the breakfast package included.

They are meticulously keeping the property up to date -- at least two staff people for every guest and every nook and cranny is perfect.

Only complaint, which some people have posted about -- the TV's are still old tubes and the internet costs $25.00 a day which was more than a little annoying - also there is no way to get cash -- you will want to tip and no ATM on property and the nearest one is at the JW Marriott a good 20 min walk or $10 each way cab. I think one is also at the mall 10 to 15 min in the other direction but I never checked.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Incidental Charges add up to quickly for a Hotel like this -- rate is high enough internet should be free
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
12 Thank simba8318
ladyjanegrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2008

Thanks to everyone for all the information regarding the Ritz.

The hotel is divine. And I can't say enough good things about the staff. They are friendly,hardworking and sincere.

I would just be repeating all the other posts here on tripadvisor.
The Ritz is by far one of the best hotels in Mexico. I can see why it get the 5* from AAA and gets loads of rewards for it's outstanding service. The hotel is beautiful as well as the landscape. Workers are outside all day working around the hotel. We loved all the food. We took a cooking class and had a riot. There were only 3 couples and I'm glad. Lots of one on one with the chef, who is from the States and is polite and handsome. All the Ladies were ga ga over him. I highly recommend the Club Level. It is a hotel within a hotel. We were treated like rock stars the whole time. I wish some of the guest would be a little more respectable to the staff there. Quite a few "ugly americans" rude, cheap and wasteful. Shows money doesn't buy class.

Take your big wallet though. Everything is expensive, but it is the Ritz after all. Being on the Club Level I believe saved us some money. Drinks at the pool were fantastic, however quite expensive. But served with such flair and once again everywhere within the resort the service was perfect.

We are planning a trip back ASAP. I was warned we'd do that, and they were right. We had the time of our lives.

Lady and Lord Jane

Stayed January 2008
11 Thank ladyjanegrey22
wherever
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2008

This was our first time in Cancun. And I am so glad I spent the extra money to stay at the Ritz Carlton.

My Wife and I had the most romantic vacation here. I was spazzing out trying to set this all up without her knowledge. I scanned every piece of info on the internet to make sure this was the right hotel and worth the money I was going to shell out. It was approx. 4000.00 for the entire trip, but worth it all.
This was to be a special trip. My wife deserved something special and I thought this would be, and it was.

I surprised my wife for christmas with a 10 day trip to Cancun. This was our first time to Mexico and i was hoping and praying this was going to be a clean and safe city. Everything I had read here on tripadvisor and other sights all pointed to the fact that Cancun was indeed safe and very clean. That is 100% true.

We arrived late in the afternoon. I had used the entertainment plus company, I reserved online, got a email confirmation the same day. And as they said, they were there at the front door with our name on the company sign. Perfect. But I wish i could say that about the airport. What a zoo. We landed and had to walk to the terminal. And the line at customs was huge, I was shocked at how quiet it was in there. All you could hear was the clicking of the stamps unto the passports. Thank God it was cool in the airport. I was shocked at how hot and humid it was when we stepped off the plane.

OK here is where I thought I had made a mistake coming to Cancun. The crowd around the luggage area was crazey. And the line to push the red/green button was long and very unorganized. And I did take the advice of many here on tripadvisor. We ignored all the people talking to us as we walked to the front door. So many of them kept saying "what hotel are you staying at" I was tempted to talk to someone asking about excursions, but I fought the urge. Ever the transfer company told us to walk right out and not try to do business with anyone at the airport. I was so relieved to see our name on the sign. The man there to pick us up had to radio someone else to bring the van around to pick us up. So after about 15 minutes of sweating and waiting we were in the van and ready to head to the Ritz.

We were in awe by the beauty of the water and beaches as we drove to the hotel. I was a little worried when I noticed all the brush and forest like area around the hotel, but as we started onto the hotel zone it was pure paradise. Our driver said the Ritz was the best hotel in cancun. And he was correct.

There is a security shack at the driveway. And they radio ahead to the hotel that we were there. The man also welcomed us to the Ritz. And it was a fantasy/dream for the whole trip.

We were rushed by several employee's when we got out the van. We were welcomed by all the bellmen at the door. They escorted us to the desk where check in was done in 3 minutes, handed a ticket for our luggage. They served us cold towels and champange. Just like everyone said. Off to our room.

My wife will take it from here......

We had a suite on the 4th floor. It was on the corner and the view was to die for. The second we walked in the room it was heaven. And the balcony was perfect. I can't believe we were finally here. I was about ready to drop when we got through the airport but now the view had re-energized me. i could wait to get changed and head to the pool.

We went straight to the hotel's restaurant facing the pool. We sat outside and it was nothing but wonderful from then on. I couldn't believe we were finally here. It was more than I had imagined. The water was more beautiful that I could possibly describe. Just like blue heaven. We ordered corona's and sat back to drink in the views. We split a ritz club and salad. I never had a club sandwich with egg and alfalfa sprouts. It was good and the salad was excellent. We ended up not having dessert because we ate the bread and butter instead.

My husband had one of the pool employee's set up two chairs for us on the beach and we both layed down and passed out. I keep trying to conjure up that surf in my mind everynight now. After a nap of 3 hours we headed back up to the room to unpack and figure out what to do for dinner. Our Room was cold and smelled so good. There was a letter welcoming us to the ritz and chocolate covered strawberries in a box made of chocolate. We went out to the balcony and feed eachother strawberries and had a cup of hot coffee made from the gourmet coffee machine in our room. That got used a lot during our stay. After unpacking, exploring the entire room and checking out everything that was there to read about the hotel and services it was 10 pm. we decided to order room service and eat out on the balcony. We ordered Salads, chicken and desserts. When they said 30 minutes before delivery, it was 28 minutes when there was a knock on the door. There were 2 employees and they asked permission to enter, OK. They brought in the cart and proceeded to set it up like a table on the balcony. And it was perfect and my husband was really impressed. They asked us to call them when we were done and they would remove the table. We signed the check, tipped cash and sat down to one of the most wonderful and romantic meal in years. What took us so long to do this? We had been wanting to do this for years but never made solid plans, and how sorry we were that it took us this long to do it. But we made up for it.

We slept in until 10 am. Not what I wanted to do. I wanted to be up early,eat breakfast and be down to the beach. We got dressed and headed down to the breakfast buffet. it was the best one we had ever been to. I was amazed at the selection.
The fruit display called to me....We ate so much. And i promised myself I wouldn't pig out at every meal, broke that promise already. Ran back to or room to get our beach bag. Ran into the housekeeper. She was so sweet. I'm really tall and I felt funny standing there next to her, I had to bend down a little to talk to her. She was beautiful and friendly and I had the chance to talk to her everyday. i made sure my husband left 10.00 each morning for her.

The waves in cancun were a nightmare. I'm sorry, but that's my opinion. I wouldn't get in the waves if you paid me. We watched through out the week people trying to swim. Red flags everyday. But that wasn't really a problem. We hung out on the beach and at the pool. We liked the quiet pool. It had beds there to lay on and we loved that. What a way to relax. That was our M O for the 10 days

Everyone here on tripadvisor, you will plan your trip back before you leave the hotel. We had the time of our life and can't wait to get back.

Stayed January 2008
11 Thank cancuninit
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

Arriving in Cancun from a cold, snowy Virginia was quite a respite. And the Ritz Carlton experience was over the top. As always, the Ritz outdoes itself by offering first class services throughout the hotel. From the maids to the waiters, the front desk clerks to the security guards, everyone working there went out of his or her way to make the stay special.

It was a concern that the hotel pool would be inundated with screaming children (per previous reviews), but we were fortunate that during our stay there was mostly a quiet, older, business crowd.

The room itself was pleasant enough, although I have to admit I was surprised not to get some small chocolate in the evenings or something to look forward to when opening the door late at night! Although not enough, we did spend time on the balcony which overlooked the clear blue waters.

Also, the lunches and dinners at Casitas (the only place we ate while there- outdoor overlooking the beach) were very good. The wait staff there was extremely gracious and always pleasant. All of our meals were excellent and came quickly so we could get back to the beach.

One item of interest; they still use real metal keys! I, personally, found that to give extra character to the hotel, which one may note, is probably due for a renovation soon.

Overall, the experience at the Ritz was, as always, relaxing, special, and one full of memories. And Cancun itself has enough shops and malls and quality restaurants for the average tourist to feel like he's not too far from home.

• Liked — The service was spectacular.
  • Disliked — Having to pay for the internet, and the business center charged for internet use ($5 for 10 minutes)
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank 221bbakerstreet
Tulum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2008

Wonderful stay,called from Dreams Tulum ( which was a nightmare) ,service,food,pools everthing was great !!!! Above the average.
Note: I love swimming in the ocean,some days the the had the red flag up and we ocean to too rough to swim in.

• Liked — Service and the beautiful hotel\.
  • Disliked — Beach,water was rough ,to rough to swim in.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank chantel10
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2008

Spent five nights in early December at the RC Cancun on the Reconnect Package; this included breakfast for two each day, plus $100/day in resort credits to be used in whatever way you choose (spa, food, bar, &tc).

The first week in December is a terrific time to enjoy this resort; the weather is perfect, and it’s before both the Christmas and New Year crowds arrive. Americans (the majority of guests here) tend to travel less between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and the lack of crowds at this time made this a pleasant relaxation spot.

I originally wasn’t all that thrilled with the idea of Cancun, but was glad that I ended up going. Being from Denver, it was an easy and direct non-stop between Denver and Cancun on Frontier. Having never been and unfamiliar with the location, we opted to organize transportation directly with the hotel. This was probably an unnecessary (and ultimately an expensive) option, but it did make the to-and-from between the airport and the RC easy and stress free. The trip both ways was approximately $150 in a Ford SUV; if going again I would probably just take a cab.

After arriving, check-in was easy; all of the Reconnect Package details were confirmed by the front desk, and we were shown our room. The room was on the same level as the lobby (along the same corridor as the tennis courts). I originally thought I would have preferred a higher room – but this ended up been an excellent choice. Our balcony was both covered and deep on this level – an option I highly recommend. Much of the day the resort facing the ocean is in the direct sunlight – having a covered and shaded balcony (rather than a small, fully exposed jut-out from the room) was a real plus. It actually meant that we could enjoy the balcony, and from the looks of simple visual comparison, it was larger than those on the higher floors. Shortly after unpacking the staff came by with a bucket of complimentary Coronas, a nice touch after traveling.

The room was standard RC issue – plenty of room, comfy beds and linens, well-maintained and clean. As mentioned in other reviews, all rooms are ocean facing. I couldn’t understand why nearly all of the TA reviews had nearly identical pictures (the pool and the beach) – but after having now gone I understand. This is the primary orientation from all of the rooms, and the front of the hotel is unremarkable, being just a “front” for the entrance. The bathroom is typical of what you would expect; large and marble, with a separate tub and shower. The last two RCs I have stayed at had the same RC-branded toiletry collection – Cancun was no exception.

The pool was very pleasant and a main focal point of this resort. Most people seemed to spend their days either camped out at the pool or the beach, or alternate between the two. Since this time of year the resort was not at full capacity, getting a chair and umbrella were no problem, and the staff was highly accommodative. There’s a casual restaurant just to the side of the pool that serves food throughout the day.

Mostly what stood out about this property was the service. Everyone is incredibly friendly, and helpful. Unlike some five-star resorts in the US, the RC seemed to have multiple people on hand to serve – rather than relying on just a few staff to do a certain thing. I could not get over how much the staff seemed to want to help, and they were always friendly.

As an example I noticed that one of our balcony chairs was missing a cushion and on my way to the pool stopped by the front desk to ask if someone could come by with a new one. The staff member at the front desk seemed genuinely horrified that everything wasn’t perfect for me and said that he would take care of it right away. Lo and behold, after coming back into the room after spending time at the pool and the beach the cushion was replaced.

Another example of the stunning service here was that after the first two days at the pool, the staff knew exactly where we liked to sit – and had already reserved “our” chairs for us when we came out from breakfast ; they also remembered our drink preferences. This type of service was awesome, and highly appreciated.

The food and drink is fine at the RC Cancun, if not a bit expensive. Beer was very reasonable, but cocktails were astronomically priced. The complimentary breakfast as part of the package was a great plus. There were plenty of breakfast options and – like everywhere else – there were multiple people on hand to help run the show and ensure that people were happy.

People should be aware that the RC Cancun is very formal in the sense of the building décor and whatnot (and probably unlike what a lot of people go to Mexico for or expect). That said, it’s not a formal place per se – people were comfortable wearing beach wear each morning to breakfast. Dinner was a bit more upscale but not excessively so. We opted to skip the formal dining option – so no comment on that. We did room service a majority of the nights for dinner, and this was a great way to run through the $100/day resort credit.

Clau, a cocktail bar room off of the lobby lounge, is impressive in both a modern and tribal sense – but the mixed drinks were, again, expensive, and the place was empty. Would have been more fun if there had been more people. They play great techno music to go with the design vibe of the room – but as I said, it was empty and lacked appeal because of that.

I did organize a massage for myself the third day. While not a large facility, the spa experience at the RC was excellent. I was assigned a personal valet who took me for a tour of the men’s locker room, explained the facilities and when asked what type of treatment I was getting, recommended the order in which I should shower/steam/&tc. to maximize the experience. This was a very nice touch – most resort spas I have been to simply point the way to the locker room and let you fend for yourself. Also nice about this spa was that there are outdoor relaxation areas (segregated by sex) that had showers, a hot tub and a cold plunge. The valet came out to check on me several times, bringing a drink and some nibbles for me. Also, he brought me a heated, scented neck pillow to use while lounging in the outdoor area while I waited for my massage to begin. All very nice – and the valet experience wasn’t overbearing at all. I recommend the spa here highly.

The workout room was nice, if not unremarkable. It was used a lot, but – oddly enough – the locker rooms weren’t. There are nice showers and steam rooms in the locker room, and I was the only one in there using the facilities, even though the gym area was busy. They’ll gladly give you a key and towels and water if you simply want to have a nice shower/steam after the pool and beach – so I would recommend taking advantage of this amenity.

I did walk up and down the beach in both directions on separate days … and was impressed with the RC by comparison. I walked up to examine the Le Meridian’s pool – which, admittedly – put the Ritz’s to shame. The Le Meridian outdoor pool complex is unbelievable - something like five pools (some of the infinity variety) at varying temperatures make the Le Meridian a real knockout. That said, the reviews for this property are very mixed – and a nice pool in and of itself does not make for an excellent resort stay.

All in all, a very nice, relaxing option. The crowd at the RC seems a little bit older and more sophisticated than some of the other properties I surveyed along the beach. The children here were well-behaved, and this is an oasis from the typical Cancun scene. If you can swing a good deal (like we did with the Reconnect Package), I would easily recommend this place.

Happy travels.