“Not sure anymore...”

Ranked #4 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
NYC
“Not sure anymore...”
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I keep thinking back to our first visit 16 years ago... It was magical .... In a dozen or so visits since then the best I can say is that I believe it still is the best choice in the hotel zone but the property has obviously sold out to large groups so the individual traveler get the short end.why do we keep going back ...the convenient direct flights from the NY area and the beach.. And we did it as the first leg the second part was spent at the Rosewood Mayakoba a much better overall choice.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank vimatravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (493)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 11, 2011

This was my 3rd trip to Cancun. The first two times I stayed at the JW Marriott. My parents have raved about the Ritz for years so I thought it was about time my boyfriend and I checked it out.

Everything about this hotel is first class all the way. The transportation from the airport to the hotel was equipped wtih cold towels and bottled water. We were warmly greeted upon check in by the concierge and given a tour of the premesis. Our gorgeous room was ready and waiting with a large fruit platter (which we enjoyed the duration of our 5 night stay) and tequila cocktails.

Every day by the pool was heaven. The pool staff is ready to walk you the chairs of your choice and lay our your towels. The staff walked around frequently with fruit kabobs, popsilcles and cold towels. The staff is very polite, always calling you by name. You really feel special staying here.

The most exciting part of our stay with the Chef's Table option. You and about a dozen others are invited into a large kitchen where you watch/assist Chef Rory prepare a 5 course meal, complete with wine pairings. If you are a foodie/wine lover, this is for you!

I can honestly say that I will never stay at another hotel when I visit Cancun. I am not even sure if I want to go on any other vacation other than the Ritz in Cancun! we are already planning to go back over the summer.

If you are interested in first class service and a gorgeous hotel, look no further!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aballish
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed April 9, 2011

This hotel is awesome! I booked a room on the Club Level and made arrangements to have the hotel pick us up at the airport by private car-totally worth every penny! The airport is a chaotic mess with time share sellers and god knows what else. We felt "saved" by our driver who wisked us from the hectic airport to the hotel. By the time we reached the hotel, all the employees were welcoming us by our names-Incrediable!!! We were escorted to the Club Level and given cold scented towels and glasses of champagne. Check in was a breeze. We were then taken to our room which overlooked the pool and the beach-amazing blue water!!! The Club level includes food presentations served throughout the day. Breakfast is actually served in the resturant-buffet style, there are so many choices, fresh fruit, eggs, omeletts, mexican breakfast, japanese breakfrast, its crazy. Everyone wants to wait on you,and addresses you by name. You can see the pride of the employees working there, I have never seen such enthusiasim of hotel workers striving to make you happy-and they do! Back to the food presentations on the club level-they are amazing. At luch time there are sandwhiches, soup, lots of finger food and desert. Afternoon tea and evening hor 'dourves We were there for five days and not one food presentation repeated. You could actually eat all of your "meals" in the club level and be satisfied. Oh and did I mention all the cocktails, wine and champagne you could drink. Later in the evening they have deserts and a chocolate fountain (you dip fruit and homemade marshmellows in) and put out bottles of cordials you pour yourself! Grand Mariner and Kahluha were my favorites!They also set up a tequilla bar and you can taste different tequillas and different salts! They even had a black sea salt from Hawaii, again totally amazing! Their main resturant is to die for, one of the best resturant experiences I have ever had. The food was excellent and the service was top notch!. I highly recomend the dining room! They even send a thank you card to your room the next day signed by all the dining room staff.!The pool staff are awesome, they treat you like you are the only ones at the pool. Prior to our arrival Sony booked the ENTIRE hotel, so that has to say something! I can't wait to go back

Room Tip: Book a room on the Club Level
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank fllee68
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2011

stayed on the concierge floor. between that staff, and everyone else in the hotel, perhaps the nicest, most attentive staff i've encountered. [the family survey ranks the staff with the four seasons in maui, and the sanctuary on kiahwa island; and above 3 other four seasons and 5 other ritz's we've been to]. it's a typical ritz setup. it's on a peninsular with about 80 other hotels lined up. this has a nice piece of property, and the rooms alls face, directly or indirectly the ocean, so you don't see the other hotels.
maybe the only resort i've ever been to, that doesn't have it's own golf course, and i would love to go back to.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank lwmjr
East Northport, NY
Reviewed April 3, 2011

The Ritz Carlton Cancun just doesn't get any better. Top notch service and outstanding gourmet cuisine! The staff just can't do enough for you, especially outside by the pool. The highlight not to be missed is the Chef’s dinner with Chef Rory Dunaway. He will cook for you in his beautiful Viking kitchen. You feel like you have your own private Chef for the evening. We joined him for the Mediterranean Dinner and immediately upon entering his kitchen his staff was waiting for us with Champagne. Wine flowed throughout the evening with the several different courses. Chef Rory wowed us with the ease of making such wonderful gourmet dishes. Besides a fabulous meal, and a unique dining experience, Chef Rory also gives great cooking tips and makes you feel at home in his kitchen. It's an evening not to be missed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sunset5866
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Ritz Carlton here has an amazing see view for most rooms. The service here is spectacular. The hotel has an excellent gym with modern facilites (Li9fe Fitness equipment). And for tennis players, it has two beautiful tennis courts (trainer avaiable for a fee). Overall I enjoyed my stay here.

Ritz carlton never fails to satisfy!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rahy50
Aventura, FL
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I spent 12 days with friends at the Ritz-Carlton Cancun, and very much enjoyed the resort, with a few significant caveats. I really depend on Trip Advisor reviews, so I want to provide the most detailed feedback possible. I was in desparate need of a quiet vacation, so I searched high-end beach resorts worldwide (location was not an issue, as I had plenty of airline miles to use). Most deluxe beach resorts, at the level of Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, St. Regis, Aman Resorts, etc. had rates near to or in excess of $1,000/night for an ocean view or ocean front room in most locations. The Ritz-Carlton Cancun averaged out (with the stay 4 nights, pay for 3 rate) to well under $500/night for a club level, ocean view room, which seemed to be a great value in comparison. I had been there once before, when it opened 17 years ago, loved it, and thought it was worth another try. Long story short, the Ritz-Carlton Cancun has some significant shortfalls when it comes to what one would usually expect of a five star resort, but it most definitely delivers on value. Here are some details:

Airport Pickup and Check-In:

We had arranged airport pick-up with the hotel. A greeter met us just outside of customs, escorted us to the Suburban, quickly loaded our baggage, and we had a pleasant drive to the hotel, arriving in less than 20 minutes. Check-In was quick and friendly. I checked in at the front desk, as I originally only reserved a non-club, ocean-front room, which I upgraded to a club-level ocean-view room at check-in (read below for details on ocean-front vs ocean-view at this property). My friends had a club-level room reserved, so they checked in on the club level, and were greeted with champagne and a cold towel at check-in. In both cases, the check-in process exceeded expectations.

Room:

The room had its fair share of positives and not-so-positives. The size of the room was fine. It has the same general layout of a typical Marriott room...king bed, 2 nightstands, desk/desk chair, comfortable chair and ottoman, and an armoire. Actually, the only differences between the room at this propertry and tyhe typical Marriott room were (a) the furnishings were of upgraded quality; (b) the bed and bedding seemed to be upgraded from the Marriott beds...more along the lines of Starwood properties...and exceptionally comfortable; and (c) the bathroom was upgraded, as it had plenty of marble, along with a separate tub and shower. That said, the rooms still have shallow tubs (rather than the large soaking tubs you find at most resorts of this caliber), and the tv has not yet been upgraded to a flat screen. A/C was excellent and quiet. The room was well-soundproofed from both outside and interior noise. The balconies on the club level rooms were very nice, as they are enclosed on the sides for privacy. The balconies on non-club level rooms, for the most part (with the exception of some suites) are decidedly not private, as they just stick out from the rooms and have no privacy dividers. Additionally, only the club level room balconies, as well as suite balconies, have room for lounge chairs; otherwise, you only have 2 small cfhairs with a small table between them. Overall, I was satisfied with the room; however, I can see why some guests could complain about what is an increasing need for some updating.

Room Location and Club Level:

I absolutely recommend staying on the club level, especially if you are traveling with friends and/or family. The room rate difference is approximately $100/night; however, breakfast, lunch, happy hour and dessert are included, so breakfast and happy hour pretty much pays for the difference. You also have two concierges available to assist with any reservations, and they do an excellent job. Room location, specifically ocean-front vs ocean-view, seemed to be confusing at this property. The shape of this property is basically 2 "U"s put together. So if you are staying at the end of the "U" 's then you do have an ocean-front room, that has an unobstructed view of the ocean; however, it should be noted, that there will either be some restaurants or other activities below your room, between you and the beach. All other rooms are considered to be ocean-view. A word of caution on this...if you are staying in the crook of the "U" 's, you will have an ocean-front facing room, with one of the two pools between you and the ocean. The other rooms, on the sides of the "U" 's, have ocean views, but you look straight out of the room to the other side of the "U", so, given that there is no price difference between the ocean-view rooms (unlike other resorts that distinguish sometimes between partial ocean-view and prime ocean-view rooms), you will want to be sure to request an ocean facing, ocean-view room.

Restaurants:

I and my friends found the food at the hotel to be outstanding, without exception. We actually did not leave the resort for a meal the entire time (everyone we ran into said it was not worth the effort to leave, plus it was spring break time so we had no desire to fight the crowds), so tried each dining venues at the resort multiple times. Casitas was our favorite. It is a steak/seafood restaurant, outdoors, beachfront. You have the choice of dining on a terrace overlooking the beach and ocean, or on the beach in a private casita ($125 rental for dinner, not including the meal). We had surf and turf during each of our 3 visits to this restaurant...both the steak and Carribean lobser were outstanding. For a restaurant of this caliber (certainly Palm or Capital Grille caliber), I found the prices to be surprisingly reasonable...probably in the $75/pp range, with drinks, wine and dessert. The manager of Casitas (unfortunately, I lost his card) was exceptional. He never failed to call us by name when he saw us around the resort. The service he and his staff provided at Casitas was as exceptional as the food. The Club Grill was also outstanding. The food (similar to Casitas with different sauces) and service were of similar caliber to Casitas. They do have great dessert soufles, so worth going just for those. The food at Fontina (Italian) and the lobby restaurant (casual fare and sushi) was excellent. The lobby restaurant has an outdoor area for drinks, cigar smoking and dining, that faces the beach...I highly recommend it, although the service on all three nights we ate there was very slow. Food fare at the beach and pool, was typical resort fare, and rather expensive. Drinks were good, but very expensive ($15-$20 range for specialty cocktail). Entertainment was good at both Casitas and the Club Grill (saxaphone and piano player, respectively). There are two special dining experiences that I would recommend very highly. The first is the chef's table. Chef Rorry, along with a couple of staff members, prepares and serves dinner for a maximum of twelve diners in a beachfront (indoor) kitchen. The 12 diners eat at a U-shaped island. Time is spent enjoying drinks on an outdoor, beachfront terrace, watching the Chef prepare the meal at the various stoves around the kitchen, and mingling with your fellow diners. The food is incredible...we did it twice (Mexican and Southern dinners). It is expensive (around $150/pp), but well worth it. The other special dining experience I would recommend is at Casitas, in one of their beach casitas. At night, Casitas replaces the beach chairs and hammocks normally in the beach casitas with a dining table and special mood lighting. They create an incredible atmosphere, enhanced of course with the sound of the surf, the ability to walk a step outside your casita to your own lounge chair in front of your casita on the beach, and great food, of course, from Casitas restaurant.

Beach and pools:

In short, the beach is GREAT. Even when the hotel is full, the beach is never crowded. Great sand, excellent drink and food service throughout the day, beautiful water. Only issue is the surf is a little rough in this area of the beach, but there are always lifeguards on duty. We splurged and rented a casita every day on the beach. They come with a large chaise, and two smaller shaises, along with a hammock. They are expensive ($125 per day), but we thought it was worth it for the comfort, shade and service. We did not spend much time at the pools (one for everyone, and another just for adults), but they never appeared crowded, and are both very nice pools. By the way, this was in the middle of spring break, but kids were never an issue.

Spa:

I am a spa fanatic. My reviews of the spa are mixed, but when it comes to the most important part...the quality of their therapists and their massages, the spa is outstanding. If you are into the latest, out-of-this world design in spas then you will be sorely disappointed in the spa here. It is a very simple layout (aka plain). I think they were going for a minimalist look, but it does not work...comes off as rather plain and, quite frankly, cheap. However, I really do not care how wonderful looking the quiet room, locker room, spa suites or water features are at the spa. I simply want a great massage treatment. I had a massage 11 of the 12 days I was there, and they were each, without exception, world class. I have traveled to some of the greatest spas throughout the world, and the massage therapists here are a match for any of them, including the Oriental in Bangkok, which I have always believed to have one of the best spas in the world. One therapist in particular, Iliana, is one of the best massage therepists I have ever had...be sure to ask for her. Also, they have one outdoor massage villa just outside the spa, beachside. It is on a little hill, at the edge of the hotel grounds, so very private. They give massages there after 6pm, to help ensure privacy. I recommend this highly...nothing like the sound of the waves while having a massage...it was a great experience.

So, bottom line, I would return here for a vacation in a heartbeat. The service is outstanding; the rooms comfortable; the restaurants, beach and spa are world-class. Just don't expect an over-the-top Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons type property...this simply is not it. It is more like a JW Marriott with slightly nicer rooms, and Ritz-Carlton level service. For the bang for the buck, though, it can't be beat. I found the Ritz in Grand Cayman to be very similar during a recent trip, although the spa facilities were significantly nicer. Maybe Ritz-Carlton is going for a new niche when it comes to their resorts. Something between a JW Marriott and a Four Seasons. If so, it is not a bad idea in today's economy. If that is what they intended with this property, they have succeeded.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends