“Avoid”

and up
Private Tour: Chichen Itza, Ek Balam Cenote, and Tequila Factory
Ranked #236 of 272 Outdoor Activities in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: Beautiful golf course spread out over several islands in Nichupte Lagoon.
Troy, Michigan
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Avoid”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We looked into golf at TPC Cancun and another course, both of which were $250 per player. Decided to take our clubs and see if we could find something close and less expensive. Our cab driver recommended Pok-Ta-Pok, which is Cancun's oldest golf course.

It was $80 per play for 18 with a cart. Total rip-off. I wouldn't pay more than $20 and only would pay that if I just wanted a fast round and didn't care about conditions.

The fairways didn't really exist. It's just a bunch of grass, very weedy, long, and there is no definition between fairway and rough. I will say the greens, where there weren't huge bare spots, rolled nicely (though every green was pretty chewed up). The bunkers had very little sand, one of them was set on a concrete slab with about an inch or two of sand over it.

I will say that there are some nice views, and it's a very easy course, so if you are with beginners, they won't lose golf balls.

One plus was that it wasn't crowded. We went around 2 couples that seemed to be very new to golf, otherwise, it was pretty empty, and we played in under 3 hours.

Visited February 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Just Right”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I played the course a few years ago and everything was pretty much the same. It is a little more run down and the course could use a little TLC. We played 3 rounds. We stayed at the Riu Palace and worked a pretty good deal. $112 a round including taxi to and from the resort, range balls and snack and beverages on the course. It was everything we needed since we haven't hit a ball since October. The weather was great and we got to work on our game. The staff was very friendly and took care of everything. I have read some of the negative reviews and maybe I would be upset if we paid $160. This is not the best course that I have played and by far not the worst. This course is not for the golf snobs.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Kent B
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Where's my ball?”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

A group of six of us played the course a day and a half after a rain squall. The fairways were so soggy that we could only drive on the cart paths for the front nine. Walking on the fairways it was not unusual to sink an inch or two into the fairway grass which, by the way, looked like no other grass I've seen let alone seen on a golf course. On one hole I and another player hit balls in the middle of the fairway (which was impressive for us) and when we reached the spot where we expected to find our balls, they were nowhere to be seen. They apparently buried without leaving an obvious mark. Unbelievable. One of our group also inadvertently stepped on a nest of red ants and started doing something akin to the Mexican Hat Dance, but that was the only episode of those critters. We could drive carts at 90 degrees across the fairways on the back nine, but the conditions weren't really much better. Lastly, the bunkers were like concrete. It appears the bunkers are filled with crushed shells and probably crushed coral, but they hadn't been groomed in months. One one hole the path for the carts ran directly through the middle of the green-side bunker. Easy to see why the Jack Nicklaus course charges double what this course charges. Maybe they're both owned by the same company?

Visited January 2014
Collingwood, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I played this course 3 years ago and have to say that it has deteriorated immensely since the last time we were there. If it was inexpensive I wouldn't be expecting too much, but for $300 US for the two of us I was not impressed! And that was the twilight rate with a discount because I am a golf pro! They have changed it to an all inclusive feature so all drinks and snacks are included on the course but you really don't see the cart girl that often.
The course was in terrible condition, greens were beat up and only had patches of grass. Our golf cart squealed so loud every time we drove it, I thought my teeth were going to fall out!
It is a great layout and has some ocean and canal view holes so it's a shame that they have not maintained it.
Staff were all friendly and helpful, but I won't return until they hire a golf course superintendent!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank g0lfgurl
South Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“cow pasture”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Really bad. Fairways missing grass. Huge areas of dirt in the middle of what should be green fairway. Black mold (or something) growing in waste bunkers, Total lack of drainage. Even if there was no standing water (all courses in Cancun were flooded Dec. 20, 2013 and should not be open). Golf carts were old and beat up and were different colors. Yes it is convenient to the hotel zone but don't do it. You will be sorry. All course have pick up serve at all hotels. It was so bad we bailed out after about 11 holes. On top of everything ..... expensive compared to TPC Cancun and Riviera Cancun

Visited December 2013