“Amazing resort, amazing rooms, fabulous service”

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #12 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed June 17, 2009

The Fiesta Americana was our first experience with a big resort. I had fairly low expectations for a resort and I thought a fancy boutique place would be much better service. I couldnt have been more wrong! This hotel is absolutely beautiful inside and out. It is well maintained. The rooms are fabulous. Every room has an ocean view. Ours was a standard room, but we felt like we'd gotten a major upgrade it was so beautiful! Everything was marble, big view, balcony, nice amenities. The service was great too, we were always greeted with a smile. At the restaurants, waiters remembered us from the night before, in a very friendly way. One evening we had dinner out at the beach restauarant, and althought the rain and wind was getting bad, we stayed there and enjoyed ourselves. When we were done eating, our waiter escorted us through an underground kitchen tunnel so we didnt have to walk through the wind and rain. It was so much fun, it felt like we were getting to see the secret passage, being whisked away like a VIP. That is one of my favorite experiences from staying there, because it is an example of how much the staff cared about the guests.

Overall this was a fantastic place, and a great value. After 5 days we left that resort to go to a super ultra nice boutique hotel that was $500 per night, and I was so dissappointed. The rooms and service was nothing compared to the Fiesta Americana. I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,218)

Reviewed June 16, 2009

After two international phone calls and many e-mails the hotel finally reimbursed the amount charged to my credit card. Bottom line is, something like this should not happen. An hotel that considers itself to be one of the leading hotels in the world should communicate fluently with its reservation agency. This problem was solved due to my initiative and perseverance.

Stayed: May 2009
3  Thank lmoane
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We just got back with our two young children. They are 4 and 7 and had a great time at this hotel. There were no crowds at the pool and the fantastic beach. The surf here is just right for them to be able to go out and play in the water and look for shells, unlike the beaches on the other side of the pennisula which are rough and too dangerous for young children.

The service was outstanding. The hotel itself is a little dated, but the pool, service, and beach makes up for it. We'll be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank thewonderment
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We loved this hotel. The beach is one of the best in Cancun, they have a wonderful warm meandering pool divided by bridges with waterfalls, marked by three bars along its length, the rooms are comfortable and spacious, and the service is outstanding throughout. The restaurants are also excellent. We dined at Le Basilic (La Joya was closed at the end of May when we were there, unfortunately) and had the breakfast buffet (free promotion). The buffet is very good; be sure to try the Mexican specialties. My wife loved the tamales. Le Basilic is a top notch restaurant, with an intimate, elegant atmosphere, and we have rarely enjoyed such good service in a restaurant. Some people have commented on high prices for food and drink, but they are no more than you'd pay at comparable bars and restaurants in the US. Coming from Boston, I found the price of the fixed price menu at Le Basilic an excellent deal. I do agree that the hotel would win over some picky reviewers by providing a few more services gratis. For example, free wireless, in-room coffee, and use of the fitness center would be a welcome change, considering that so many mediocre hotels offer these amenities in the US. To echo a number of other reviews, though, what really makes this hotel stand out is the service. I honestly felt like all the staff I encountered genuinely wanted to please us in any way they could, whether at the front desk, in the room, at the pool or beach, etc. Maid service was impeccable (including turn-down service in the evenings), the front desk was courteous and efficient, and the restaurant staff really was exceptional. The concierge was very helpful with information, reservations, etc. The hotel doesn't offer a lot in the way of activities (unlike the AI places), but apparently there are a few offered unobtrusively (including for kids). There is an Am-Ex office that arranges tours and such hidden away off of the main lobby. There's also a water sports site right next door at the beach; I gather they are affiliated with the hotel. The prices seem reasonable, but we weren't interested. These are the only people who approach you at the beach to sell you something (aside from waiters), and they don't pressure you. But really we didn't want any hotel activities. The hotel is beautiful and serene, and I was glad to avoid the noise and hassle. We could faintly hear some guy blaring away on a megaphone at the Riu down the beach, orchestrating some activity, which I would have found extremely annoying if it had been at our hotel. In short, if you want a relaxing vacation with top-notch service, comfort, elegance, and quality, you can't go wrong with the Fiesta Grand Coral.

A few random observations:
--It can't hurt to ask for an upgrade at check-in. We asked for a club room with jacuzzi and were told $150 extra; on the other hand, we were given a very nice upper floor full ocean view room (and before asking about an upgrade), though we'd only booked a partial-view. Judging from past reviews sometimes you'll get lucky, sometimes you won't, but it's best not to expect anything.
--You don't need an all-inclusive unless you eat like a pig and drink like a fish. Booking with the free breakfast promotion means you'll only need a late dinner after getting your fill of the buffet, which you can choose without feeling tied to the hotel. But it's definitely worth eating at the restaurants on site.
--Officially you're not supposed to bring food or drinks into the hotel, but they don't enforce this. Our porter even advised us to get bottled water, snacks, etc. off site rather than pay for mini-bar items, which of course are absurdly overpriced. We even kept a bottle of tequila in the room.
--There is a "dress code," but it's quite minimal really. Just don't walk barefoot or dripping wet through the lobby and you're fine. The nice restaurants, naturally, want a little more, but only a little. Pants and something more than a tee-shirt, no sandals.
--The spa is well worth checking out according to my wife, and they are building a new one currently that is supposed to be one of the best in Mexico.
--Weather reports for this area are unreliable. From our experience you can expect sun even when the forecast says 40 percent chance of scattered thundershowers (which it did practically the whole time we were there). We had only a little rain at night and some cloudiness one afternoon. And apparently May-June is the rainy season.
--The hotel does have a sales person sometimes on site (for their 'vacation club'), who phones you near the start of your stay to come down and get a discount card. We just didn't bother and were never hassled.
--The staff deserves (and no doubt needs) good tips. Especially since tourism to the area has been so diminished recently. Hopefully now that the swine flu hysteria has faded that will change.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Indomeneo
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I stayed at the Fiesta Americana Grand Coral Beach for seven nights last April for a much needed vacation. I'd have to say that in terms of service, this is one of the best resorts I have ever stayed in (and I have stayed at several luxury resorts). I will present this review in different categories for easier reading.

LOCATION: Offering one of the most ideal locations in Cancun's hotel zone, the FAGCB is a short walk to the Forums by the Sea Mall, an entertainment center that offers several restaurants (Hard Rock Cafe, Rainforest Cafe, Carlos'n'Charlie's), a food court, retail outlets, as well as nightclubs (CoCo Bongo, Dady'O across the street). For the convention goers, the Cancun Convention Center is literally across the street from the hotel. There are also a few Mexican outlet stores within a short walking distance that sell handicrafts, jewelry, tequilla, souvenirs, etc. Also nearby are Playa Caracol where water taxis depart to Isla Mujeres, and the Xcaret terminal, where day excursions to Xcaret, Xel Ha, Chichen Itza and other tours can be purchased from. The location on the northern end of the strip also offers an amazing beach (more on that later) compared to others in the hotel zone. Yet inspite of its central location, the hotel manages to be very quiet at night, making it the perfect haven for relaxation.

CHECK-IN: Upon arriving at the porte cochere, I was greeted very warmly by the bell staff who offered to take my luggage. Check in was quick and efficient. The front desk agent who checked me in was friendly and welcoming. I was also given a cold glass of juice while being checked in. I asked for a room on an upper floor and was gladly given one. One of the bell desk personell then escorted me to my suite while informing me of the hotels' amenities and services. Once we got to the room, he gave me a quick tour of the suite which was appreciated.

ROOMS: I have always believed that the most important part of any hotel are the rooms and the rooms here do not dissapoint. At about 550 square feet, the room (junior suite) was elegant, clean and comfortable with gorgeous views of the beach, pool and the distant Isla Mujeres. According to their welcome literature, they have started a renovation plan last year that included new mattresses, new bed linens, and new furnishings in the room. Further renovation and refurbishment of the rooms and public areas is supposed to continue this year as well. Judging from the previous room pictures posted here on TA, I can say that the room I got was partly refurbished. Gone are the dark grey with blue floral pattern comforters. The bed linens are now white down duvets with a 300 plus thread count cover. The bed sheets were also in white 300 thread count sheets. The mattress and the pillows had the right amount of firmness and were very comfortable. There is also a 32 inch Sharp Aquos flat screen TV (though not HD and no HD channels are available) offering programming in several languages (Spanish, Japanese, French, and English). Some of the English channels include CNN, Fox News, BBC, HBO, Starz, Discovery Channel, ABC, and more. Visitors from the Miami area can watch their local news as there is a live broadcast from an NBC affiliate. The step down living room area leads to a balcony with a breathtaking view of the beach, pool, the amazing colors of the Carribean Sea, the neighboring resorts, and Isla Mujeres. The balcony had a couple of chairs and a small table and was a wonderful place to just sit back, relax and enjoy the views and sounds of the Carribean Sea. The bathroom was rather small but was perfectly functional. Unlike the newer resorts, the shower and bath tub were not separate. The pressure from the shower was excellent. Bathroom toiletries were from Gilchrist and Soames. The minibar had all sorts of snack items and the minibar fridge had sodas, bottled water, fruit juices as well as alcoholic beverages. As other reviewers have mentioned, the price of the mini bar items was very high. There were no free beverages and snacks in the room- not even the cofee. From my previous experience however, these prices are typical and should be expected at hotels of this level of quality. If I have to nit-pick about the room, I would have to say that the air conditioning was quite loud and didn't really cool down the room that much.

RESTAURANTS/DINING: The resort has 4 main restaurants (Vina del Mar, La Joya, Le Basilic, and Isla Contoy), 1 fast food outlet (Coral Cafe), and 1 bar (Lobby Bar). There is also 24-hour room service offering a variety of international dishes, quick eats (sandwhiches, pizza, burgers), deserts, and main entrees such as steak, chicken and fish. There is also a selection of entrees from La Joya, the resort's signature Mexican restaurant on the the in-room dining menu. I dined at Le Basilic, as well as Isla Contoy, the beachfront seafood and steak restaurant. The food at both establishments were excellent, albeit very pricey as expected. Le Basilic is an upscale French Mediterranean restaurant with an intimate and romatic setting. The service here was attentive but not obtrusive. The place also has an extensive selection of Mexican and international wines. Isla Contoy had a more casual feel and offered great views of the Carribean while dining. Their seafood market lets you pick and choose a wide selection of fish, lobster, prawn, etc and then have them grilled. Price depends on the weight of the item. Alternatively, you can just order from their a la carte menu which offers more choices such as steak and chicken. I also had daily breakfast at Vina del Mar. The buffet breakfast here was included in the package rate I got from Orbitz. If not, the buffet costs $25 USD if I remember correctly. The selection of breakfast items here is diverse. There is a cooking station where the chef can prepare eggs and other dishes to your liking. A wide variety of Japanese and Mexican breakfast items are also available as well as fresh fruits and all sorts of pastries. Ask for an outdoor seat for great views of the pool and the beach.

BEACH/POOL: As others have reported, the beach here is just spectacular. The resort faces Isla Mujeres, protecting the beach from the rough waves and wind during the hurricane season. As a result, the beach here is still wide and suffers from little errosion from the previous hurricanes. The sand is fine, powder white and the waves are calm and tame, making it ideal for swimming. This is in fact the nicest beach I've visited in a long time. I visited a friend who was staying at the JW Marriott and I was shocked to see how very little beach was left in that part of the hotel zone. Not only was the beach at the JW Marriott narrow, but there were several exposed rocks and the waves were rough as well. When my friend visited me the following day and saw the beach at FAGCB, she was just awestruck by the beautiful beach!! The beach had several palapas and since it was a slow week, they were pretty much available the entire time I was there. There was also an activities desk where one can rent jet skis as well as book snorkelling and scuba diving tours. The infinity pool here is one of the most spectacular I've ever seen. There are three large pools that are interconnected through waterfalls. The pool is also shallow throughout with a maximum depth of 4 feet. There are two swim up bars located at opposite ends in the pool area. There are plenty of chairs poolside and since the hotel was slow, there were always chairs to be had anytime of the day. There is also a small playground next to the pool dedicated for children. The service at the pool and the beach are fantastic. The waiters were always present to take your order and cater to your needs.

SERVICE: As others here have noted, the service at this hotel is simply top notch! All the employees I've encountered were very friendly, courteous and would go above and beyond to serve you. By my second day here, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that some of the staff already knew my name. When I met them any where in the resort, they never failed to smile and greet me by my name. The staff always answered with "It is my pleasure" after you thank them. This was my first trip to Cancun, and the staff did a wonderful job in wecoming me and making me feel at home.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: The Fiesta Americana Grand Coral beach has been receiving the coveted AAA Five Diamond Award year after year since 1995. In fact, it is the only resort in Mexico to have earned that distinction. After staying there for a week, I can easily see why. Everything about this hotel exudes class and elegance - from the public areas to the rooms, restaurants, amenities and even to the clientele who stay there. It is really hard to fault this hotel. I certainly wouldn't hesistate to recommend this resort to anyone. If I ever decide to come back to Cancun, I know this is the only resort I will consider.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
7  Thank goDNA
Reviewed May 15, 2009

I traveled with my wife on May 7th-12th. From the start we were greeted with absolute pleasure. The day we checked in I was immediatly upgraded to a Master suite at no charge. The room was like a palace, Huge terrace, indoor jacuzzi, Large bathroom with an awsome shower.. We felt like celeberties.We celebrated my wifes Birthday, almost all the staff knew and were given a nice complementry cake almost everyday of our stay. This hotel is notorious for its gorgeous pools and prime beach location. They have a rating of 5 diamonds which is very prestigious award, i believe it is because of the way the staff is trained and the delicious food.. If you book with the hotel directly on their website, which is strongly recommended, they have a promotion of free breakfest. Definiatly take advantage of this.. it is the greatest setting for a morning breakfest, Nothing better then drinking freshly squeezed juice while feeling the morning breeze from the sea. The food is of a high quality and made there on the spot. This is not an all inclusive hotel, If you like your food made in pots for 700 people I suggest you book at the RIU hotel or any other hotel chain that offers "all inclusive"
I have read comments here about the drinks being expensive, yes they are expensive, but every hotel serves expensive drinks, that how they make $$.. Dont worry about the $8.00 drinks.. how often do you go on vacation???
Yes we went around the time when the whole swine flu was a big hype. The whole time we were down there I didnt see anyone wear a mask. In my opinion this was blown way out of proportion.. It is totaly fine there, dont let that be a factor in booking your trip.. There are still plenty of people there having a good time. If there are any questions or comments please dont hessitate to email me.
valimo03@yahoo.com
This is one of top 5 hotels out of all of mexico, according to all the locals and cabbies. see for yourself.
One more comment about the staff.. this is hands down the best staff that will ever serve you.. let me put it this way.. if there was not a coconut for you to drink your coctail out of, your server would be more than happy to climb the tree right there on the resort and get your coconut.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pepe0311
Reviewed May 5, 2009

You haven't experienced "good service" until you stay at this resort! The place was almost empty. We just about had it to ourselves. The rooms was nice, very clean, fresh looking. Great pool! We really enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business