“Fantestic place to stay”

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #11 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 8, 2004

My wife and I stayed at this Great resort from March 25 to 29th. (First time leaving the kids)Everyone at this hotel was extremely friendly especially the people in the grand club area. The beach was awesome and was calm enough for my wife to enjoy. I really appreciated the great location, walk to shopping ,great food,great clubs. Not quite as expensive as I thought. We had a truly outstanding dinner at LaJoya's appetizers,entrees,dessert,afterdinner drinks about $130 US. We never felt crowded around the pool and beach area, plenty of chairs. The beaches are the most beautiful around! Excellent view from our 11th floor room. We loved falling asleep to the sound of the waves. It gets pretty windy at night. We are already planning our next trip! Enjoy!

5  Thank Briankingstonma
There are newer reviews for Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2004

This was one of the nicest resorts in which I have stayed. Everything was first-class and this hotel lived up to its five-star billing. I used this site to plan my vacation and settled on this resort, even though Cancun might not have been my first choice of destinations. Even if you are not the partying type that usually flocks to Cancun, you would enjoy this resort. The pools were beautiful and immaculate. The beach was white powder sand. The ocean (which is really a bay) was beautiful turquiose. At both the pool and the beach, waiters come by every once in a while to ask if you need anything brought to you. Our room, as every room at the FAGCB, overlooked the ocean and had a private balcony. It was a wonderful surprise that we were even able to drink the water and ice that was distilled. Downsides... very expensive. However, virtually everything in Cancun is overpriced. Go to the downtown area (el Centro) to eat; it is much less expensive (about a $10US cab ride). Go to La Parilla which has the best Mexican food I have ever had. It is a little rougher looking neighborhood but we felt very safe there. Another downside is no hottub. Also, despite what I have read, the snorkeling is not too great just off of the beach of the resort. You probably need to take a separate trip to snorkel (or scuba). The main downside to me is Cancun itself. It really looks and feels like Las Vegas in the "area turista" where the FAGCB is located.
However, once inside the resort, you are in paradise.Overall, one of the best vacations I have ever experienced.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 21, 2004

I dont want to bore anyone with a long review, I just want to mention some aspects I think are important about this hotel:It has a superb service, everyone just gives 110% effort, it has a beautiful view (every room is ocean view), It has a great calm beach, the pool is huge, and it is just a few steps away from a lot of Cancun?s restaurants, night clubs, shops, etc. My wife and I just returned from a week there march 2004 and had a great time! very peaceful and calm if we wanted to, and steps away from the night life when we felt like it. Congratulations Fiesta Americana Coral Beach!

5  Thank bdlgarza
Reviewed March 18, 2004

We are on our way back for our 9th trip to Cancun, each trip to a different resort. FAGC when compared to the RITZ or JW Marriot is simply a matter of whether like waves or not. FAGC is closer to the action but the other two are only a $0.60 bus ride a way. All three are world-class resorts. The food, service, and accomadations though slightly differnt in atmosphere are otherwise indecernible. The best mexican food in Cancun is inside the FAGC. The pools at JW and FAGC are as good as it gets and slightly better than the Ritz. You get the sun longer at FAGC which again is bad or good depending on what you like.
The Hilton is a fantastic value. The Royal Beach Club rooms are great with a very friendly atmoshpere in the club service area. The FAGC, Ritz and JW are very formal in there club area, and a little strick about silly things like taking a beer to your room from the club area.
The Camino Real is in position A. The most beautiful view in Cancun.
The club rooms are much nicer than the standard rooms. We were there before they switched to the all inclusive but the food then was nice with the Maria Bonita next door is very enjoyable, and reasonably priced.

Though a very different experience than the resorts mentioned above the RIU Caribe (Formerly Grand Caribe Real) was a good value for what it was with a nice beach and great view as well. The food was what you would expect for a Buffet, though the pizza and ice cream was a huge hit with our young kids. It is a good value when you consider that you get an average room at an average property for usually less than $3500 a week.

We also stayed at the Gran Melia and Melia Turquesa. Both O.K., each have some redeaming values but the Gran Melia service and hospitality was not near as nice as the Hilton for the same money, and the Turquesa is now all inclusive and priced along side much nicer properties in Playa del Carmen. I would go south of Cancun to the Riviera Maya before going to the Turquesa. I have to admit though that the lobby and the elevator ride at the Turquesa are absolutely breath taking and people there are very friendly.

Generally speaking Cancun is still a superior value over other parts of Mexico (Los Cabos, etc) and dramatically better than the Carribean. It is still cheaper to eat in Cancun than NY or Chicago for a family of four for comparable food and service. Jimmy Buffets is a good time and decent food, avoid the Rain Forest Cafe unless the kids insist as the food is less than enjoyable. Lots of other great places to eat down town and on the strip, a few other good ones: Iguana Wana, Distilleria, La Ventana for mexican, which is what we eat when we go there. If I want a steak I will go to Omaha, or Italian to Italy.

We are returning to the FAGC as it has the best of the things we love about Cancun. Our kids and my wife prefer the calm side of the island because they love to snorkel and my wife swears that you do not get the sticky ocean feeling on the calm side (Can't say I noticed, I was too busy drinking margaritas on both sides). It is close to the restaraunts, shopping and nightlife, yet while at the resort you would never know it as you feel completely isolated. FAGC has a huge pool, immaculate grounds, the club level service is wonderful with a great continental breakfast and nice evening snacks and drinks, large functional and tasteful rooms with a nice balcony and fantastic view.
We ride the bus to play golf at the Hilton which is a little bit of a pain and we usally hit the water park a time or two and the jungle tour once so those we ride the bus 10 - 20 minutes for those activities but that is about the only down side. It is simply a fantastic resort on a fantastic "island" with wonderful people. How can you go wrong.

22  Thank 401kid
Reviewed March 16, 2004

We stayed at the hotel from Feb 18 thru the 25th. I dont' have enough words to describe how beautifule the FAGCB is. We have traveled to Disner and Vegas, LA and otehr places and satyed at 5 star resorts but, the FAGCA is by far one of the best. The lobby are is impresive, marble every where; triple height lobby celing and hallways. The staff is the best; always looking after your needs and helping you in every way the can. Our oldest daughter got sick one day; they helped us find a Doctor (it was midnight); they broguh him and they had someone go out in the night and fill the prescription. Rooms are also very nice, marble all over the place; big balocny and excellent view of the caribian sea. Get the deal were the b'fast buffete is includded in your rate; it will only cosy extra $6.50 per adult rather than $22.00 if you don't have it. Kids under 12 are always eat free in any hotel restaurant.

1  Thank daniel g
Reviewed March 9, 2004

We were very disappointed in our 2 week stay at Fiest Americana Cancun. We had a 3rd floor 1 bd suite which smelled very musty and felt damp. Our balcony was large but a huge tree was blocking over half of the supposed "beautiful ocean view". Since we had a two week stay, we requested a room with a better view and not so damp and musty. We were told their was nothing else available. We later learned that the hotel was only at 60% capacity, so why weren't we offered another room? The sheets even felt damp and we saw bugs in the kitchen/not sure if they were small roaches or what but it was disgusting knowing we had bugs in our room. They only came out at night and scattered like cockroaches when the light was turned on. One day we had thunderstorms and the rain came right through the balcony doors (even though they were closed and locked) and flooded our room! We had almost 2" of water on the floor surrounding the bed. The bed skirt was soaked on the bottom as well as the drapes on the balcony doors. They sent a young man up with a squeegee and we still were not offered a different room or anything else for the inconvenience. All the shoes in the closet got soaked! Thank goodness we didn't have anything else on the floor. Needless to say, we knew where the musty smell and dampness came from. A couple days it got so windy that they had to close the outside restaurant and bar (right at happy hour). So several of us moved to the inside bar and were not able to get the 2 for 1 drinks inside. They could have accomodated since they had to close the outside bar. The pool was very nice, not crowded at all. Sylvia did an excellent job keeping up with drinks for people on the beach as well as by the pool. She was always running her tail off...Right next door to the beach is a place to rent jet ski's, parasailing, etc. which was very convenient...The location is great if you like the night life and the mall is right across the street. You can catch the bus right outside the hotel too. The food at the resort wasn't the greatest but the breakfast buffet was very good but very pricy, about 30 US dollars for breakfast for 2. Every guest has a designated person which whom to go to with questions or problems. Ours told us to come and see her before checking out (she was going to see what she could do for us) but she was no where to be found. I don't know if our stay was just a fluke but this was a far cry from a gold crown resort (which is how it's listed in the RCI book)...We were very disappointed and will not be going back!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Marlton, NJ
Reviewed March 8, 2004

We stayed at the FAGCB, 2/11 - 2/16/2004. It had been nearly (10) years since we last visted Cancun and we were anxiously looking to return. During our stay, we had reserved a Master Suite, smoking room. Upon check-in, we were advised only (2) Suites were available. One on the first floor (ground level....) and the other on the 3rd floor. Perhaps the hotel doesn't have many designated 'smoking' suites but, I found our choices to be a bit dissappointing. The lady behind the counter advised us that if we were willing to spend an additional $100 per night, we could upgrade to 'club level' where we would have a much better view and all the ammenities that went along with it. I must admit, I kind of felt like we were being given a con job in order to spend more for a better view. Anyway, we quickly asked for the 3rd floor Master suite.Upon entering, we found the room to be VERY nice. Far from 'plush', but very nice. The bathroom/dressing area was huge and toiletries were abundant everywhere we turned.We walked out onto our balcony overlooking a tranquil cove and remarked how large the balcony was. Since the floor surface was tile, I did a quick LxW of the 12" tiles and determined that it was nearly 600 sq ft.!Every night, the beds were turned down, chocolates on the pillows, etc. and the daily maid service was timely and first-rate! The only thing I would suggest is that the hotel install a few more ice-machines throughout the floors. Our Master suite was all the way at the end of one of the resort's two towers and the walk to the ice machine was QUITE a long way away.Words cannot explain how magnificent the pool area is. The only thing I noticed was that nearly half of the entire area never received direct sun because of the time of year. If you want a sunny spot, they filled up quickly. But still, the resort didn't seem crowded in any way.The only drawback I found to the hotel was the price of their buffet b'fast and drinks. Friends have told me that when it comes to food, I have a hollow leg but I still knew there was NO way I would EVER eat $22 of eggs, etc. So, we decided to order off of the menu. BIG mistake! A side order of bacon was $6 and that's not even including the cost of (2) eggs w/ a small potato pattie. The day that we spent $60 on a b'fast for (2), we really felt robbed and sought out a more economical alternative.Turned out, there is a very nice "Denny's" type place across the street called VIPs. They have an extensive B'fast/Lunch/Dinner menu and they are owned by WalMart...LOL! B'fast for (2) ran no more than $13-$14.In regards to the hotel's drink prices, we ordered (2) mixed drinks by the pool and they came to $22.50. Again, steep. So, we decided that if we'd like a drink, we'd buy our own liquor and keep it in the room. No one at the hotel blinked twice whenever we brough in food or drinks.When it comes to quality, I will spend whatever is necessary for it....That's why we chose the FAGCB. But it bugs me to feel like I'm over-spending for stupid things like drinks/b'fast/etc.The cleanliness of the resort is absolutely impeccable. Actually, one evening I was standing out on the balcony/terrace and looked down to see (2) hotel staff members cleaning the expansive pool area's tile with an electric orbital floor polisher! They never seem to stop making sure that the hotel is spotless.I would return to the FAGCB in a minute!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member