“Great family vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Columbus, Ohio
“Great family vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed here during the week of New Year's with our 23 mo son. We were also traveling with extended family including grandparents, couples without children and one couple with a 5 and 1 year old. Everyone in our group had a great time! Some specific points of interest:

Rooms- We stayed on the 10th floor in the west tower and had a great view of the beach and pools. The bed was very comfortable. We requested a crib and received one however, the sides were so low that our son could easily climb out. One thing that made the room challenging for sleeping was the bathroom. The main area with the sink was open to the room. Inconvenient for using once the little one was asleep. The balcony was a nice feature!

Grand Club- This upgrade was definitely worth it for us! We ate breakfast here every morning and had snacks throughout the day. Breakfast was good. The offerings didn't vary much from day to day but there was a good variety (eggs, bacon, cereals, fruit). The "snacks" seemed on par with most Mexican all-inclusives that we have experienced. You can also get bottled water and soft drinks/beer/wine all day with cocktails served during the happy hour. Wi-fi for 6 devices was included as well. While we didn't take advantage of the gym access, others in our group did and said it was decent with a great view.

Pools- We only used the pool in front of the west tower. I felt that the pool was the best part of our stay! There are great shallow (2-3 inches deep maybe) ledges along the edges that were great for the little ones, even those that can only just sit up. The water spouts and fountains were a big hit too! The baby pool was nice and partially shaded most of the day. Actually, the only negative is that by mid afternoon, the pool was in the shade and it became a bit chilly to swim. The pool service was very good and the food and drinks were good too! I went each morning to reserve chairs for our group (8-10 chairs together) and found the staff very helpful and accommodating!

Beach- The sand was probably the softest I've ever felt! Many chairs to accommodate guests and service too! The water was not calm but once past the wave break it was easy to manage.

Service- Everyone we encountered was extremely friendly and went out of their way to be of service. Yes, there can be language challenges if you don't speak Spanish but, I feel that is to be expected when in Mexico. We tipped at the Grand Club, the pool and our room attendants. While it wasn't expected, we felt it was well deserved and appreciated by the staff.

Overall, we very much enjoyed our stay and would consider returning in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Amanda G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
alma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

THis is what I like...great service, great poolside service, and great drinks that are top shelf. And, it feels like your at a nice hotel. The décor is a grade up from a lot of places in Cancun. I would go so far as to compare it to an older Ritz, which is actually next to it here.

I didn't spend much time on the food here as I ventured off to local venues, however, this is a top notch place in my book.

The stretch of beach here is probably the best in Cancun, in my opinion. I've seen more than a few beaches and beach sections in the area.

I stay at both all inclusive and not all inclusives, and for the price here, you can stay in a nicer bed, nicer towels, get a nicer beach and views, and better cocktails (although not included)...and it's generally not as high per night as an all inclusive, so you can venture out to try local fare if that's what you like.

The beds are nicer than all the other places I've stayed around Cancun and the service is very good. The rooms are well appointed. The bathrooms nice and clean.

I didn't eat breakfast here, but did order lunch everyday by the pool. My personal favorite was chicken flautas, which were relatively reasonably priced. And my favorite first drink of the day around lunch time was a Michalita, not sure of the spelling, but it's basically a "margarita" style beer with spicy salt around the rim.

I will definitely come back here in the future. My stay was a few years ago.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view!! You can't go wrong and they have them..
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank kirosebud54
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Stayed here during a big event during Memorial Day Weekend. The hotel itself is great!! Awesome grounds and beach views. The staff was pretty helpful and spoke English well enough, no issues there. The hotel is a good location to the club zone, we walked out the hotel and walked a block or two.
My only issue is with the cleaning staff, they do a great job but don't respect your privacy when the do not disturb sign is on the door. I don't care what language it's in, it means the same thing. A couple times the person cleaning just opened my door without knocking or announcing.

I will WARN everyone to protect your valuables at any hotel in Cancun. My friend had his iPAD stolen while we were at this hotel. He checked out for the rest of his stay and came to stay in my room. Hotels can't control what their staff is doing when it comes to this type of activity with people coming in and out of your room. Other than that I would highly recommend this resort. Matter of fact I am booked again for this Memorial Wknd just in case I choose Cancun as my destination.
Price: We were under a group rate and only paid $149 a night for a double ocean view.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank marcia0222
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I visited cancun May 23rd to may 30th 2012 for the anual "cancun jumpoff" with my sister and her friends, my second visit here. Huge urban filled weekend, I had a lot of fun. Check in was quick and easy we had pre-arranged transfers from the airport. Our room was very nice and clean with a beautiful view of the ocean. Wifi was available which was very convenient. Only downside to the room was the dampness from the humidity, the tile floors were wet and slippery and my sheets were cold and damp. Apparently they don't use wash clothes because we weren't given any and every day had to call for 4 ( day and night ) luckily house keeping was fast and our rooms were cleaned every day at a normal time. We were hardly ever in the room besides to get ready and sleep literally. We didn't have to worry about anything flying into our rooms, some nights we slept with the balcony door open and just the ocean waves in the background was so relaxing and not cold at all! Never once ate at the hotel, we ate out every night so I cant say how the food is. The drinks at the pool bar were very good and not too pricey. Pool was huge and so so nice and not crowed at all and clean, no screaming kids. Loud music playing but i'm 19 and loved it lol. No annoying birds flying around which was a plus. The beach was very very nice too. Water sports were available that were not that expensive at all, but we didn't have to leave our beach/hotel. Waiters were always around to ask you for drink orders. The spa was AMAZING me and my sister had the two hand 90 minute massage, best spa visit I have ever had. The only annoying thing was every time we walked into the hotel we were asked if we stayed here, you would think after a few days you would recognize our faces. We would be asked several times by several people for our room number or hotel key until we got to the elevator. Totally understand safety first but it was just SO annoying. We got so fed up we cursed one of the guys out on about the 4th day and were never ever asked again LOL. Overall, great stay at the hotel, only reason I wouldn't stay here this year again for memorial day weekend is because its NOT all inclusive. The location is PERFECT, we didn't take a taxi anywhere except the one day it rained. Everything is within walking distance and dead smack in the middle of the party zone with all the clubs, restaurants and shops. The area was rather safe, for a 19 y/o female I was able to walk alone in the day and night time and not feel threatened. For what you pay It is a great hotel!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here for 5 day with some girlfriends. Upgraded to the grand club level and it was well worth it. The staff went above and beyond. Great views. Bathrooms are on the older side but the rooms are spacious. Only issue we had has getting extra toilet paper. We kept running out. Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Michelle F
College Station, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We love this hotel! We stayed here several years ago and was hoping it would be as wonderful as we remembered it to be. And it was! The property is just beautiful. THe staff are wonderful. They were so eager to help with anything we needed. The grounds are beautiful and kept extemely well. The rooms are junior suites and face the ocean. The beach is beautiful and the pool/staff are were alot of fun. Great location for walking to restaurants and shopping. Can not say enough good things about this place. Great price for the hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Ruth H
Santa Cruz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here around New years. Stayed here with the family. I just asked for wifi during checkin and got access password valid for 7 days - free. WiFi bandwidth was not great, but good enough for a holiday spot. Service is awesome! While getting onto beach or pool you not only get the standard towel service, but also staff is always handy to help you with your towels or bags and to help set you up on chairs or find umbrellas. They even have beds on beach, which are very well maintained. I would highly recommend reserving one.
Pools open upto bars and bar service was great. In pool or on beach kids get free food with adults food purchase. They even have a kids club program, which runs throughout the day, which is free. The ladies running this program speak fluent English and Spanish.
I took a snorkel trip right from the hotel beach. Just 5 minutes by boat to the reef. The reef was gorgeous!! Also the guide was extremely friendly and took us through amazing reef areas. They also have scuba lessons. I would highly recommend this spot over Xel-ha, if you plan to go to Xel-ha for only snorkeling.

We traveled with a baby, and needed milk. Hotel is right next door to a few Oxxo stores (similar to 7-11), where you can get "Leche" at all times.

Tip to Vegetarians: Hotel restaurants have vegetarian options. Cafe has Pizza and sandwich options. La Joya restaurant also has a separate vegetarian menu. However, the hotel is 2 minutes walk from party city area, which has great restaurants like mextreme and also chains like dominoes and subway for options at much cheaper prices.

Room Tip: Junior suites can accommodate an additional bed easily. The doors have a little gap and hence lobby...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family