“Sheer paradise!!”

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #8 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Sheer paradise!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

From the amazing room to the incredible Gem Spa, this hotel couldn't do it any better. They anticipate your every needed and go out of their way I make you feel special. Celebrated our 24th anniversary there...check out the picture of what awaited us in our room that night. No extra charge. The next night we asked the front desk for restaurant recommendation. It wasn't busy and right across the street so we told them no need to call for us. When we entered the restaurant we were greeted by our first names and were treated once again to a grand dessert and seranade for our anniversary. The girl at the hotel front desk had called them when we left!! So many little things that made it awesome. Beautifully decorated and clean too!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Djcannell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

It was my first trip to Cancun, and I picked FACB based on room size (for 3 people), hotel location, beach quality (sand and less waves), cleanliness of rooms and user feedback on this site. We stayed in 3rd week of December, and weather was awesome for the first 6 days, only on the last day of Mayan calendar weather was really windy and cloudy.
Rooms: we stayed on west tower 9th floor in Ocean view Deluxe room with two double beds. Room was far from elevators, and the view was beautiful. We were told that furnitures are updated. Rooms are spacious and cleaned twice a day. Beds are very comfortable Floor was marble, so you can hear your neighbors when they pull/push chairs in the room. You may need to ask for a room in high floors in a less populated area. We woke up early twice because of next doors kids. (lack of carpet = more noise). There is safe and mini bar in the room. We have not had any safety issue in this hotel.
Balcony: You can see through the glass balcony and view is not obstructed. Extremely nice view. I am not sure if this hotel has any room without any sea view. Small but nice balcony.
Pool: Pool was huge but not very crowded. Due to direction of the hotel, pool area does not get much sun (only west part is used). There are several hotel personnel working hard to fulfill the needs. We did not prefer swimming in the pool, because beach is awesome.
Beach: White sand, wonderful color of the sea was very attractive. This hotel is on the north side of "7" (Hotel Zone). Isla Mujeres and Corals protects this beach from waves. My kid can swim without having any issue. She made sand castles, collected shells, and run around. it was easy for us to find a spot on the beach. They also serve food and drinks to beach.
Breakfast: Definitely get the free breakfast deal. It really worth it. The open buffet has almost everything. Staff is very nice and friendly. Juices are freshly squeezed (at least the taste is much better than other places). Coffee is not good though, however there is a Starbucks very close to the hotel if you are a coffee addict. We sat outside and enjoyed the nice view.
Restaurants: We ate at every location in the hotel. Prices are high, but food is very tasty. It is worth it. Food at Le Basilic (French) was great, but no t-shirt/shorts allowed. La Joya is Mexican, food was good but not the ambiance. Isla Contoy has nice location and very delicious sea food. Gem Spa Cafe has nice deserts.
Location: Shopping areas are in walking distance; Haagen Dazs, Starbucks, HardRock Café, CocoBongo, lots of small shops which sells Mexican souvenirs. There is Hertz car rental place next to hotel, Dollar rent a car underneath the hotel and Alamo in walking distance.

Couple of tips:
- Do not exchange your money at the airport. They exchange for 10.41 vs 13.00 when you shop. Some places even except American dollars. Or you can exhange in the hotel 12.00 vs 13.00. There is also exchange office across the street with better rate.
- We arranged "USA Transfer" for airport-hotel transfers. They were on time and courteous. Van was really big for 3 people. If you are getting there late, and do not want to deal with finding your way to your hotel. I definitely recommend them. (they were $55 for private round trip ride)
- You can rent a car on the spot if you need only for a day or so.
- Swimming with Dolphins is a great experience for your young kids. Prices are pretty much the same. Isla Mujeres location is great. However open buffet is awful. You need to rent a golf cart to get there. Unless you have wide range SLR, you cannot take good pictures of your loved ones when they swim with dolphins. So this place also makes tons of money with selling pictures.
- Ask for a room at 9/10th floors on the west wing
- Drinks in the minibar are not cheap, even coffee costs $$. There is Oxxo (like 7/11) just across the street of hotel. You can find many things there.
- Chichen Itza is a great place to see. Getting there with highway is really good, but make sure that you get to highway on your return trip as well. Otherwise your return trip will take one hour longer (experience speaks :-)). There are no gas stations for 150km, make sure you have full tank before you head to Chichen Itza.
- Get bunch of $1 bill for tips before you leave US.
- Use your credit card except for hotel and car rental. Definitely use cash when buying gas for rental.

Room Tip: West wing 9/10th floors are the best. Find a room as far as from elevators.
9 Thank FBTurco
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was our second time in Fiesta, stayed at Grand Club room. This year we brought our younger child as well and took two double beds instead of queen one. I have to say beds were not big, but we managed and baby slept on the coach, which was fine.
Rooms: stayed in west side, room is big and 10th floor offers nice view of the ocean and resort.
What I found this year that rooms were super dirty, I believe they never wash the floors. My son dragged something on the floor and it was black and on top of it we found a dead roach in the closet on the day of the departure, I was shocked. Oh yes and re-wash the glasses in the room if you plan on drinking from them, they just rinse them out as I found multiple traces of lipstick on it.
Pool: very clean, pool guys work very hard to make a spot for you. We asked them to make same seats for us on daily basis and every morning they would make them up for us.

Beach: I think we were super lucky this year as water was very calm and crystal clear, beach is clean, hotel keeps it nice, with plenty of chairs to go around. Parents do not bother bringing any beach toys, pool concierge has a lot of them. I just could not understand people that leave it behind on the beach, bring it back where you got it, I mean why some feel that they don't need to bring stuff back really surprises me.

Grand Club: Waiters were nice and same as last year so they did remember us and always were super pleasant. The Concierge I find to be somewhat useless, the English is poor and they really nothing more then glorified front desk. Can't really do anything out of the box and to me its not a concierge service. Food was similar to last year, it was ok and drinks really depended on who was making them. We generally ate in the hotel since my 2 year old son can't sit for more then 5 minutes. We had an incident and I kind of expected hotel to at least send me a fruit basket but they pretended that nothing happened, that rubbed me the wrong way.

Kids Club: Once again a total disappointment, due to their negligence my daughter ended up being sick. They took her to the pool and then let her sit in wet bathing suit for an hour in freezing room. I just don't understand why they did not change her out of it, she has a change of clothes or they could have called me to bring extra. She ended up with fever of 102 and that not something I need to deal with on vacation. Once again staff barely spoke English. They also had a party for kids but did not promote it so no one knew about it, its very strange.

Most likely we will go back again if deal is good, I still think that good outweighs the bad at this property.

3 Thank pupsik
Montgomery, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Lovely hotel with a great beach... but surprised at the cost. Cancun is no longer a "bargain". I would recommend this hotel, but just be prepared for the out of pocket costs for tipping, etc. Room was spacious and comfortable.

Disappointed in the beach service. Had to wait nearly 30 minutes for a cocktails and a bucket of ice. And then they want a tip? Hotels and staff need to understand what TIP means: To Insure Proper Service. Waiting 30 minutes for beverage service is NOT service.

Also, did not like be "bombarded" for upgrades for everything you do. That's insane. Was offered a "complimentary" use of the Hydrotherapy session. It's $85.00 USD and in no way was it worth that. And be preapared if you want a 50 minute massage... 216.00 USD for a 50 minute massage??? Seriously?

Breakfast was by far the best meal we had in the hotel. Add it to your stay...completely worth it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room Higher up... Better views (and ask for the view over the beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Overall, I would give this hotel a little over 4 stars, but not quite 5 stars. The hotel as a whole and the room weren't luxurious as some hotels I've been to - whether it was due to the fact that it needed some updating and the rooms didn't have certain features.

The rooms were nice and spacious. The beds were comfortable. Like I said, the rooms lacked certain features that other 5 star hotels have - the bathrooms weren't very spectacular. Most 5 star hotels have glass showers, separate bath tubs, rain showers, etc. Coral Beach just had a plain shower curtain, not that there's anything wrong with that. It just didn't have the amenities. The paint and trims were needing some attention in certain areas too.

The service was awesome. There were plenty of people around the lobby to answer any questions. I was usually intercepted by someone when I was returning towels or even bringing my plate from the breakfast buffet to the table, and they carried it for me - not necessary (and I like to do my own work), but sign of good service. Our rooms were made nice and early in the morning and the turn down service was also done in a timely manner, which was especially nice as we have two young children that require naps and an early bedtime. At previous hotels, we had to postpone the cleaning or forego the turn down service as they occurred very late.

The pool and the beach were very nice. The pool was large and there were enough areas to lay out. There were plenty of shallow areas for kids to play in as well as normal depth areas. The only issue with the pool was that it wasn't heated at all. That made comfortable play time limited to mid-day when the sun was out. The pool is right by the hotel, which is nice; however, it also blocks the sun and the sunlight was limited to about 2 or 3 o'clock by the pool when we were there. The pool side was empty by late afternoon.
The beach wasn't huge, but big enough that it didn't seem crowded. The sand was nice and soft with minimal shells and rocks. The only thing about the beach was that it wasn't combed - which doesn't concern me, but I guess that would be one of those attention to details that would deserve a 5 star instead of a 4.

We got free breakfast buffet. The buffet had a pretty big spread. The fruits were fresh and the meats were all cooked well.

Didn't go to the spa, but things were very expensive.

Little things - charging for coffee in the room is a bit ridiculous. Lack of free wi-fi or even affordable wi-fi was an issue for me (although my wife was happy that I was unplugged for a few days)

All in all, 4+ (almost a 5). If the rooms were a bit nicer (mainly the bathroom) and the pool was heated (or maybe even free wi-fi), I would have given it 5 stars.

3 Thank wrxplode
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

The spa is mind-blowing. Service is awesome! relax area and beautiful view from the balcony. I would go back. The buffet was perfect. very luxurious and clean! I am glad I stayed there.
The pool and beach area is one of the best in Cancun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

A beautiful place and walking distance to lively night scene. Great food and really helpful staff. Was there for a conference which was in the hotel and run perfectly. The beach was really nice and I especially enjoyed all the pelicans near sundown.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business