“GEM Spa is amazing”

Ranked #11 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Albany, New York
“GEM Spa is amazing”
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I've been to many spa's around the world and the Gem is the best, by far. Starting with the hydro therapy pool, which itself is a treatment, then onto the steam room, clay room, sauna and hot/cold jacuzzis, the entire experience is well orchestrated. The young man who helps you from one step to the next ( he told me he's from Indiana) could not have been friendlier and helpful. It's a bit pricy, but well worth the experience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Thomas I

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Salinas, California
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Had a great time at this Hotel. Excellant Service, good food and great views of the Ocean. Nice pool set up and great drinks. The workers where very nice and fast to serve you. You are well taken care of in this Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Ocean are very nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny M
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was staying at a nearby hotel, and heard about the Gem Spa, while playing beach volleyball. I was told... if I like massages, and being pampered, that this is definitly the place to go! I was sore from playing all day and decided to go. I went with an 80 minute massage. I was told to go 2 hours early. I didn't... GO EARLY... :)) This spa is incredible! I went into this huge pool, where they have hydrotherapy. There are jets of water that you stand under. One jet was about 1.5 inches in diameter. It gives a massage almost as good as a massage therapist! Another jet was 7" oblong shaped. I can't begin to explain, how good these felt on my volleyball abused body! The center of this pool had a circular stainless steel railing to hold onto; You need to hold on! This area is like the best whirlpool ever-- times 10! Everything gets massaged at the same time! ( laughing... Hold onto your bathing suit!) There is warmer and slightly cooler water, hitting you simutaneously! It's truly remarkable. Then the steam room, the menthol room, the sauna, the shaved ice room, a whirlpool, a cold plunge.. Then a stone whirlpool walk.. You walk on stones, in a foot deep of water, first hot, then cold--- an awesome massage time, Woo-Who!!! I had an 80 minute relaxing massage with Rosario. She is a rose of a massage therapist, adorable and sweet! I got a great massage, simply the best! She worked out a couple of knots... I wanted to cry "uncle!" but she got rid of them. Then she did a reallignment with chakra stones place on each of the chakras... I'm not really a believer of this stuff, but I Must say... I Felt something!!! It was an incredible massage and overall happy experience!!! I will definetly go back to the Gem Spa and ask for Rosario!

Doug Duda

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Doug06066
Palm Springs, CA
Reviewed September 10, 2012

To start with, I use Tripadvisor before booking any hotels...For the most part, the reviews are right on..It all depends on the traveler and expectations...I consider myself flexible, you know, stuff happens...I'm not going to even mention stuff like costly internet, expensive drinks, buffet, etc...you are on vacation...be prepared to SPEND! Don't go to an amazing place like cancun on a shoestring budget...end of story :-)

FA grand coral was nothing short of FANTASTIC...I know some folks have had less than desireable experiences, but this place is the best hotel on the lot (we walked through Le Blanc...very nice, would consider that place to...for the extra $1000...) Location was great, especially if you like the discos..stumbling distance back to the hotel! The lobby was refreshing, especially after being out all day! Room had a great view of the pools and ocean! We went the last week of August(slower part of the season), so there was never an issue getting a nice shaded area around the pool..the pool staff, front desk were all great..Yes, the drinks and food was pricey but hey, what are ya going to do...We actually ate out and about every night...Highly recommend Lorenzillo's...excellent lobster...I can't think of one negative thing to say about this hotel....

Tips: I don't know how the cab drivers stay in business..First they are a rip off..the only time we used a cab was to go have a nice dress up dinner at Lorenzillos...It cost 120 pesos($10) for a 3 minute cab ride, Still, nice dinner, worth it cuz we were dressed up, but the bus would only cost us 17 pesos ($1.50) for both of us! I can't say it enough, the bus is the way to go..They come every 30 seconds and will take you wherever you want to go...

Coco Bongos (and other discos) - if you wait it out 11;30pm or so, they will lower the admission prices to get in...THURS, FRI, SAT will be the busiest and most $$ to get in..anywhere from 40-80 bucks...We went to Coco Bongos on a WED, waited until 11:30, we paid $30 for BOTH of us..afterwards we were glad to pay so little because that place is a cluster@#$@...they will cram you in there to a point where you can't walk, barely see the show, and have your drink spilled on you! We stayed for only an hour, walked out covered in sweat and beer! on a WEDNESDAY! got to go for the experience, but don't overpay for this one!

DaddyO's was a great club, again, wait until they lower the cover charge!
Hard Rock Cafe has a great cover band...Free of charge! Great place to hang out until all the other clubs get happening!

anyway...great time in Cancun, Highly recommend FA grand coral!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank plysg
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and 4 kids had an amazing time here at the Coral Beach. We stayed on "Club Level" which makes a huge difference in everything. Check in was on the 11th floor and private, with drinks and snacks included. They quickly got our 2 rooms sorted out while we enjoyed a beverage and the kids were already taking pictures. We had dinner reservations at The Basilic, which is a french restaurant, very delicious by the way. When we arrive at the restaurant, low and behold I ran into an old friend who is a very famous artist here, named Leon Alva. The concept of The Basilic is very cool, a elegant duet playing soft music and Leon painting. Never before I have seen this concept and we all enjoyed it very much. Service, 10, room 10, view 10 so this place gets a 10 all around. The only down side...was leaving :-(

Room Tip: Stay on Club Level, best view and rooms are bigger
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank wiljor
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel is amazing! It has a huge beach. The rooms are beautiful. They are big. The balcony on the junior suite is huge. The service here is amazing. I travel to Mexico often and the service here is like no other. The treat you like a queen. Gem Spa is excellent.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club level!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank WorldTraveler2054
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel for 10 days in late August. We have been there numerous times over the years, and am happy to say the place is always a pleasure to stay at. The gracious and friendly service is exemplary. The hotel grounds are immaculate, and the room was likewise. My lone regret was the moment we had to leave, as our stayed had come to a close. We look forward to our return next year.

• Stayed August 2012