“The GEM SPA is a RARE gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun

Grand Fiesta Americana Coral Beach Cancun
Ranked #8 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Vernon, Connecticut
“The GEM SPA is a RARE gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was staying at a nearby hotel, and heard about the Gem Spa, while playing beach volleyball. I was told... if I like massages, and being pampered, that this is definitly the place to go! I was sore from playing all day and decided to go. I went with an 80 minute massage. I was told to go 2 hours early. I didn't... GO EARLY... :)) This spa is incredible! I went into this huge pool, where they have hydrotherapy. There are jets of water that you stand under. One jet was about 1.5 inches in diameter. It gives a massage almost as good as a massage therapist! Another jet was 7" oblong shaped. I can't begin to explain, how good these felt on my volleyball abused body! The center of this pool had a circular stainless steel railing to hold onto; You need to hold on! This area is like the best whirlpool ever-- times 10! Everything gets massaged at the same time! ( laughing... Hold onto your bathing suit!) There is warmer and slightly cooler water, hitting you simutaneously! It's truly remarkable. Then the steam room, the menthol room, the sauna, the shaved ice room, a whirlpool, a cold plunge.. Then a stone whirlpool walk.. You walk on stones, in a foot deep of water, first hot, then cold--- an awesome massage time, Woo-Who!!! I had an 80 minute relaxing massage with Rosario. She is a rose of a massage therapist, adorable and sweet! I got a great massage, simply the best! She worked out a couple of knots... I wanted to cry "uncle!" but she got rid of them. Then she did a reallignment with chakra stones place on each of the chakras... I'm not really a believer of this stuff, but I Must say... I Felt something!!! It was an incredible massage and overall happy experience!!! I will definetly go back to the Gem Spa and ask for Rosario!

Doug Duda

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Doug06066

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (663)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Palm Springs, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

To start with, I use Tripadvisor before booking any hotels...For the most part, the reviews are right on..It all depends on the traveler and expectations...I consider myself flexible, you know, stuff happens...I'm not going to even mention stuff like costly internet, expensive drinks, buffet, etc...you are on vacation...be prepared to SPEND! Don't go to an amazing place like cancun on a shoestring budget...end of story :-)

FA grand coral was nothing short of FANTASTIC...I know some folks have had less than desireable experiences, but this place is the best hotel on the lot (we walked through Le Blanc...very nice, would consider that place to...for the extra $1000...) Location was great, especially if you like the discos..stumbling distance back to the hotel! The lobby was refreshing, especially after being out all day! Room had a great view of the pools and ocean! We went the last week of August(slower part of the season), so there was never an issue getting a nice shaded area around the pool..the pool staff, front desk were all great..Yes, the drinks and food was pricey but hey, what are ya going to do...We actually ate out and about every night...Highly recommend Lorenzillo's...excellent lobster...I can't think of one negative thing to say about this hotel....

Tips: I don't know how the cab drivers stay in business..First they are a rip off..the only time we used a cab was to go have a nice dress up dinner at Lorenzillos...It cost 120 pesos($10) for a 3 minute cab ride, Still, nice dinner, worth it cuz we were dressed up, but the bus would only cost us 17 pesos ($1.50) for both of us! I can't say it enough, the bus is the way to go..They come every 30 seconds and will take you wherever you want to go...

Coco Bongos (and other discos) - if you wait it out 11;30pm or so, they will lower the admission prices to get in...THURS, FRI, SAT will be the busiest and most $$ to get in..anywhere from 40-80 bucks...We went to Coco Bongos on a WED, waited until 11:30, we paid $30 for BOTH of us..afterwards we were glad to pay so little because that place is a cluster@#$@...they will cram you in there to a point where you can't walk, barely see the show, and have your drink spilled on you! We stayed for only an hour, walked out covered in sweat and beer! on a WEDNESDAY! got to go for the experience, but don't overpay for this one!

DaddyO's was a great club, again, wait until they lower the cover charge!
Hard Rock Cafe has a great cover band...Free of charge! Great place to hang out until all the other clubs get happening!

anyway...great time in Cancun, Highly recommend FA grand coral!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank plysg
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and 4 kids had an amazing time here at the Coral Beach. We stayed on "Club Level" which makes a huge difference in everything. Check in was on the 11th floor and private, with drinks and snacks included. They quickly got our 2 rooms sorted out while we enjoyed a beverage and the kids were already taking pictures. We had dinner reservations at The Basilic, which is a french restaurant, very delicious by the way. When we arrive at the restaurant, low and behold I ran into an old friend who is a very famous artist here, named Leon Alva. The concept of The Basilic is very cool, a elegant duet playing soft music and Leon painting. Never before I have seen this concept and we all enjoyed it very much. Service, 10, room 10, view 10 so this place gets a 10 all around. The only down side...was leaving :-(

Room Tip: Stay on Club Level, best view and rooms are bigger
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank wiljor
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel is amazing! It has a huge beach. The rooms are beautiful. They are big. The balcony on the junior suite is huge. The service here is amazing. I travel to Mexico often and the service here is like no other. The treat you like a queen. Gem Spa is excellent.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the club level!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank WorldTraveler2054
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel for 10 days in late August. We have been there numerous times over the years, and am happy to say the place is always a pleasure to stay at. The gracious and friendly service is exemplary. The hotel grounds are immaculate, and the room was likewise. My lone regret was the moment we had to leave, as our stayed had come to a close. We look forward to our return next year.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Amazing location with private white sandy beach and great service from the most friendly staff. The spa is rated as one of the best in the world and I can attest to that. I wish my local gym would stock the equipment from this hotel. The restaurants were memorable with choices from 5 different cuisines.

I am definitely coming back here in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean facing so any room will give you the view you want. If your budget can extend a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Overall: An excellent and gorgeous resort, perfect for relaxing on the beach. Eat the breakfast in-house, dine somewhere else.

The pool and beach: The beach, though not large, is very clean, safe, and picturesque. The ocean was very calm, ideal for swimming, was a little cool in the morning (in late August) but stayed warm until the lifeguard chased us all out at sunset. Beach umbrellas/palapas and reclining chairs were free for guests. We stayed over Labor Day weekend, and even at peak times of day we almost never had trouble finding a nicely shady spot on the beach or at the pool. And the pool was gorgeous - although, since it's never more than four feet deep, is obviously intended more for hanging out and drinking at one of the three (excellent) swim-up bars rather than swimming. They have poolside and beach-side service for drinks and snacks, although I found it much easier to get service by the pool than on the beach. Drinks are, as you’d expect, more expensive at the hotel than in outside bars (my poolside favorite, the pina colada, was 100 pesos, about nine dollars, and that’s one of the cheapest cocktails).

The room: We were upgraded to a master suite seemingly at random, so I did not have a chance to review the basic "junior suite" we paid for. The view of the ocean was incredible (all of the rooms have ocean views). The room was extremely clean and the staff was very responsive to requests. One of the comfiest beds I've ever had in a hotel. The master suite bathroom was larger than my living room at home.

Food: The hotel has several restaurants. All of them are excellent, expensive, fancy, described as "formal" for dinner, and probably not worth the price. If, like me, you do not pack formal wear for a beach vacation and expect your meals to include cheap Mexican food and lots of it, not the best options. Fortunately there are many restaurants within a few blocks’ walking distance. The concierge can recommend some and even has menus available to look at in advance if you gently but firmly repeat that you do not want to eat in the hotel restaurants, thank you. There is a café in the hotel that does not request formal wear and has sandwiches and the like, still expensive but not absurdly so. The lobby bar had decent but pricey drinks and a mediocre jazz/soft rock instrumental band in the evenings.

Breakfast: But the breakfast buffet. Oh my God, the breakfast buffet. Breakfast is free and open from 6:30 am to noon. Take my advice and do something in the morning before taking a late breakfast, because it will knock you down for a while and you will love it for knocking you down. Giant selection of American, Mexican, and Japanese breakfast options with pretty much everything I could ever want from breakfast. There is a spot to make your own mimosas, margaritas, and bloody Marys. My first experience getting tipsy at breakfast.

Location/transportation: We did not need a taxi until our return to the airport. Restaurants, tours, nightlife, shops and the like are all within a few blocks’ walk turning right after leaving the hotel (there’s less stuff if you turn left). About a block away is the bus stop you use to get to downtown Cancun. The area appeared quite safe and we had no problems walking around at night. Taxis were available out front 24 hours a day (quite convenient when we needed to leave for the airport at 4 am).

Perks/activities: We did not try any of the activities, tours, or the spa. The hotel offers a “travel agency” on site that can arrange tours, but then you can walk out from the hotel, turn right, and within five minutes have three guys offering you three separate tour packages, so explore your options on whatever you want to do. On the beach they rent pool floats, jet skis, and a few boat rides/snorkeling expeditions. The representative of their “vacation club” lured us downstairs with the offer of a discount card and gave us a fairly aggressive pitch to come to a ninety-minute information session about the club. If we’d been willing to do that, they would have given us a free tour package of some sort. So that would be entirely up to your preference.

Service: Overall excellent, with no complaints. The staff were entirely bilingual and quickly responsive to any requests. Any charges (drinks, meals, minibar, tips at breakfast, etc.) will be charged to your account at the end of your stay rather than one at a time, which gives you a chance to review everything before you’re charged.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple