Fiesta Americana Condesa Cancun All Inclusive
Ranked #13 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I stayed with my husband for a quick get away without the kids. Was there April 5-9th.

We had a Junior Suite in the Sea Tower on the 7th floor. PERFECT view! I watched the sun come up over the ocean evey morning. We thought the room was excellent, two baths that were totally up to date. We had 2 balconies, the one off the bedroom had 2 chairs & lots of room. We thought the bed was fine - not hard & we have a Temper-pedic @ home.

The pool was georgous! It is so spacious. We did have some trouble with getting a prime chair (sun & option of shade), so you might need to do that early. (But we went Easter break) They had some pool activities in the afternoon.

I really liked where this hotel was located. We checked out the FA Grand Coral Beach & Dreams. I have to say I would still pick the Condesa. Although we did not see the rooms at either place, the grounds & pool area at those hotels were unimpressive. It really felt like a concrete jungle where those hotels are located. The Condesa has a really great tropical feel. I love to be surrounded by native foliage & flowers. That's what the Condesa had.

The food was really good. All mexican - which I like. But we had dinners at La Dolce Vita (good, walking distance), Lorenzillo's (great atmosphere), and Laguna Grill (walking distance & EXCELLENT food & great atmosphere!). I happened to not like the margaritas at the hotel - too mixy? Not sure what the problem was but I just had strawberry daqs & they were great. We ate the salsa & pico de gallo & had no issues.

This place is SUPER clean. We always saw somebody cleaning something.

The spa was great - had 2 massages. However the "spa maid" - not sure what to call her because I was not used to it - was directing you on where to go, like sauna first, then steam room, then jacuzzi - but I happend to like that since it turned out to be so relaxing using the facilities in that order, before a massage. I am more used to the American way & doing whatever you want to in a spa - I am sure you could, but didn't test it ...

The beach - this is such a hot topic. It is a real shame that they have no beach. We had NO beach the first 2 days, then the winds changed & we had some beach. Hubby was able to go swimming. (too many rocks for me as I am not a great swimmer) The water was beautiful, the color amazing. I hope no more hurricanes come & swipe more beach away but you can't prevent it - it's not their fault. The hotel worked real hard when the winds changed to get people down to the beach. You can see where the stairs are to the beach that the ocean washed away about 4 feet of sand! Imaging that - the sand was 4 feet higher then where it is now - crazy! Families were still having a great time playing along the beach we had. (There was more beach at GCB & Dreams but the waves were huge - no swimming! And the sand was dirty with seaweed & such.)

We went to Walmart and felt totally fine. Once the bus stops for Walmart you still have to walk about a block to get to it. I was impressed how nobody bothered us. We saw NO homeless people, no one asked us for money. I really thought we would see that. On our way back from Walmart, we were the only Americans on the bus with standing room only, I thought we would get this weird vibe, but didn't . Mexicans in Cancun are great & go about their business. It's not like other places where the natives don't like you.

Caution about the bus - they seem to try & beat each other to the next stop. They seem to go sooo fast then slam on the breaks for the next stop - It would make me sick! And I don't get motion sickness! (but I do on a Cancun bus!!) They also start to go as soon as the last person steps on the bus - even before they pay!! So please - if you are traveling with little ones make sure you hold on to them, and brace yourself.

We just went to relax for a few days, no night life for us, just nice dinners. The lobby lounge is nice too - (sometimes they have a DJ) but just played good music when we were there. It is def. not a party hotel, which we liked.

We can't wait to go back with & without the kids!

5  Thank vacationisbliss
Write a ReviewReviews (8,390)

Reviewed April 21, 2009

Just returned from Fiesta Americana, stayed April 12-17 with kids ages 10 and 13. We got a great deal by booking through Continental Vacations, which included round trip air, hotel, transfers to and from the airport, free buffet breakfast, and kids eat free. ($2,500 for 4 people).

The hotel-so/so. Rooms were plain, beds hard, bathroom small, minibar expensive, room service limited choices. Design of hotel makes it very hard to get from one area to another quickly. Palapas are beautiful, especially in the lobby.

The grounds: gorgeous and very well maintained.

The beach: non existent while we were there, but all of the hotels seemed to have the same problem. We were there 1 year ago and there was a great beach...we were told that 3 weeks before there was a beach...thank goodness that our hotel had fantastic pools, hot tubs, swim up bar, and pool vollyball...our kids didn't miss the ocean that much.

The food: Pretty good, affordable, drinks very reasonably priced. You have to ask for the kids menu, they don't just bring it out. Breakfast buffet was really great! Everyone can find something they like and get as much as they want. We are vegetarians and there was plenty of choices every day. They have an omlette station and french toast and waffles and pancakes everyday that are fantastic. Milkshakes and fresh juices for the kids, mimosas and screwdrivers for adults...very nice. Otherwise, the restaurants are ok-but there are so many choices outside of the hotel that we just had the breakfast buffet and went out for dinner every night. There is a great italian restaurant called la Dolce Vita that is within walking distance of the hotel-its affordable and nice and right on the lagoon-alligators can be seen from the outside deck.

The staff: service all around was very good, the staff tries hard to get you what you want, great pool side servers. The best experiences we had were with the concierges that we consulted daily on all kinds of things, restaurants, directions, where to shop, what to see. They are very good, they will give you maps and directions. They have all of the menus of the local restaurants in their desk and will let you browse them. In case you want to change money ( which I highly recommend because the dollar is very strong against the peso right now) the hotel posts the daily rates at the front desk and they will change money for you with no fees. I have read many people doubting this is true, but I can assure you that its all legit and you can change as much or as little as you want and they will give you a receipt.

There is a excursion representative stationed in the lobby that can help you book activities. We thought about Xel-ha or Xcaret, but they are so expensive and all we really wanted was to snorkle. We ended up booking the snorkleing adventure full day- which I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it was! Much cheaper, food and drinks and transport included. You get to see 2 dive sites, come back to the beach club for lunch and drinks, and then there's an option to go back out for one more dive or you can stay on the beach and relax.

We spent our last day in Isla Mujeres, and it was amazing!!! Highly highly recomend the Sunset Grill on the North Beach... wish I was there right now drinking a Hurricane!

Overall the hotel was very nice and by the end of the trip it felt like home to us. Honestly, I just wouldn't chose it again because I know there are much nicer hotels in Cancun and when you are on vacation, you want to stay somewhere that makes you feel pampered...

1  Thank BrooklynEscapist
Reviewed April 15, 2009

We spend 11 nights at the Fiesta Americana Condesa March 19-30 with our 18-year-old son. We were looking for a great deal to Mexico and we found it with Orbitz. I knew from reading some of the reviews that most of thethe beach was rocky and small but I figured my son could walk down the beach until he could find a place to swim.

Check in was quick and fast. We had booked a standard room and were upgraded. Room was a typical hotel room but it was nice that the sink was separate from the rest of the bathroom. I thought the beds were pretty comfortable for Mexico. We got the free breakfast buffet like the other reviewers mentioned. It was very good -- made to order omelets, potatoes, chilaquiles, eggs, french toast, waffles, breads, yogurt, cereal, fruit and juice. There was also always a bottle of champagne/vodka/tequila with mixes if you so desired.

I usually didn't eat lunch but my husband and son did. The beach restaurant was pretty good. They loved their burgers -- they were huge! Other food that we had were quesadillas, tortilla soup, chicken sandwich, pizza, chicken fingers and chicken wings. The only thing I didn't like were the nachos -- they didn't use chihuahua cheese but some orange Cheese-Whiz type cheese. Sometimes we ate in the restaurant, but usually would eat on the pool deck. We would order a round of drinks and then bring our own down from the room. A previous reviewer said they were stopped one night when they were returning to the hotel with outside food/beverages and told that was a no-no. Every night we would stop at the OXXO store across the street and bring back water, pop, chips and beer. The first night we even bought a styrofoam cooler to keep it in and we were never stopped and told we couldn't do that.

Javier is the activity guy -- he tried to get you to do things but wasn't pushy about it. The activities were pretty low-key and music was just loud enough. I noticed that they were very diligent about not letting outside people who were walking the beach come onto the hotel grounds.

About the beach -- we were there for 12 days. The first several days there was a small beach, water was very calm, hardly any waves. Yes, there are rocks in front of the hotel but when I would walk up and down the beach, so did almost every hotel. There was a spot nearby that you could go in without worrying about the rocks. My son would usually go down by the Marriott or next door to the Oasis; they had no rocks in front. For the first 7 days, I was able to walk or jog on the beach; then it got very windy and the tide came in and as the previous reviewer said, there was no beach at all. The waves were coming right up to the seawall and they had the stairs roped off so you couldn't even go down to the beach. So I think it depends on when you come what the beach is like. If you have small children, you probably would want to stay at the top of the "7" where the beaches are bigger and calmer. But my husband and son love the big waves, so that's why we stayed where we did.

We rode the bus every night into downtown Cancun City where we had fantastic dinners, a lot cheaper than the hotel zone. Most meals were $30-$50 for three of us, including drinks.

My son brought his lap-top and bought internet time for about $3/hour or you could go to their computer center. He also used their fitness center which was about $5/day. If you bought more days, it was cheaper

Overall, we had a very relaxing trip and if we returned to Cancun, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Fiesta Americana Condesa.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank playamomma
Reviewed April 14, 2009

My wife and I stayed there from 4/9 - 4/11. We were in the Sun Tower on the 6th floor overlooking the pool area and ocean. The room and view of the ocean was fabulous. Food was very good and the service impeccable. The grounds were very well kept and the hotel was very clean. The only downfall is the Vacation Club people at the beginnng of the stay and there was no beach. Unfortunately the area we were staying had very little beach to the left or right of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel in a heart beat to anyone looking for a great spot to vacation.

1  Thank hvg3
Reviewed April 14, 2009

My hubby and I were given an opportunity to escape for a few days without kids. Cancun fit the bill--non-stop flight from Boston, great deal on Expedia, and warm. After reading many reviews, I decided to stay at the Condessa. During the shuttle ride from the airport, my first impression of Cancun was "Las Vegas meets the Carribean" (minus the gambling). Big long hotel strip, and a party reputation. However, the Condessa was at the "quiet end" of the hotel strip. There weren't many children or "heavy party-ers."

What struck my hubby and I during our 4 day stay was how hard-working the staff was. They really take great care of the property. All the staff was super friendly. Alejandra, the Concierge, was beyond helpful and friendly. We very much enjoyed the breakfast buffet. From years of travel, I feel that was probably one of the best breakfast buffets I've encountered (and the make-your-own mimosa was a FAB touch!).

Our hotel room was a very nice size. It was on the lagoon/garden side, and had a king bed. The bathroom seemed too small for me. And my hubby noticed that there was no art work in the room, but I thought it was OK due to the dark wood off-setting the paint/walls.

The lack of beach was a disappointment, but the pool was very nice (HUGE!).

I can highly recommend these restaurants in Cancun--La Habichuela (very romantic, great service)...but take a cab, not the bus. And La Casa De Margarita at La Isla Plaza. Hubby and I went downtown for some shopping, and a co-worker recommended El Perillo for lunch (a 10 min. walk from Market 28). OMG! What fantastic food. I wanted enchiladas, but they had just set up a buffet. I saw Grandma cooking in the kitchen, handmaking tortillas. I couldn't pass it up, and glad I didn't. We ate some **DELICIOUS** home-made authentic Mexican food. Yummo!

We also decided to take a catamaran ride to Isla Mujares. It was an all-day booze cruise. It was ok, not great. The host Edwin was a hoot. But our snorkeling was cancelled due to rough waters. Oh well. I got a nice tan on the boat and did some great shopping.

Overall, a very nice trip....mainly because of the hotel (and all the yummy food!). I saw Cancun, but can't say I'd go back. But I'd definitely recommend the Condessa.

1  Thank anitajd
Reviewed April 13, 2009

My family (wife and two kids, ages 2 and 9) just returned from a week at the Fiesta Americana Condesa (the trip was April 3 through April 10). I think most reviews of this hotel are accurate: very nice lobby area, professional and courteous staff, well maintained grounds, nice pool, average rooms, good food with reasonable prices, etc. I'll try to expand on a few key issues that I think would be helpful to prospective visitors.

BEACH: If you must have a beach, and playing in the ocean is your definition of a good vacation, then this is not the right hotel for you at this particular time. Like much of the Cancun hotel zone, this hotel suffers from extremely poor beach conditions due to the hurricanes over the last few years. If you happen to have calm weather and low winds during your trip, then you may have a small but usable beach. We had strong winds for several days coming off the ocean and the surf completely ate up the beach. It was so bad that much of the deck area right by the water was closed off because the soil and sand caved in and was sucked out to sea. It took them a few days to repair the sink hole damage. For 80% of our trip, there was absolutely no beach. The waves were crashing into the concrete at the edge of the property. Just a few weeks before we left I saw a review from a woman who jogged a few miles on the beach each morning. That would not have been an option during our stay. It all depends on the weather.

TIME SHARE: I didn't find the time share representatives (or vacation club, as they call it) to be very aggressive. I read some reviews where some folks felt harassed. I didn't feel that way, although I do have some complaints about the system itself. Since our family wanted to go to Xcarat, we decided that going to the time share presentation was worth the time invested. Some would choose not to do this, which I can understand. However, this was going to save us more than $400 off the cost of admission at Xcarat, so we bit the bullet. The presentation was just as expected. They say it will take 90 minutes, but it is an easy two hours no matter how many times you tell the sales rep you aren't interested. My biggest issue was that they told us that we would get a discount for Xcarat, as well as any other activities we wanted to do the rest of the week. What they don't tell you is that in order to book any activities later in the week, you have to take a cab or taxi back to the presentation center and you have to book the activities there...you can't do it from the Fiesta Americana Condesa. It makes it an inconvenience and I feel they do this to deliberately make it less convenient for you to get what they previously promised.

ACTIVITIES: I recommend that you talk to the other hotel guests to see what they've done and base your decisions on their recommendations. We booked our activities in a variety of different ways. We booked Xcarat, Chichen Itza (or Chicken Pizza as my culturally challenged father said all week), and swimming with dolphins through the time share folks. We booked waverunners directly through Aqua World, which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel. The only "bad" activity we booked was a "Fun Day" trip to Isla Mujeres through the on site travel agency, Best Day. The hotel has a desk for Best Day travel, and they proclaim themselves as the best travel agency in Mexico. We wanted to go somewhere for a day with a real beach since the beach was nonexistent all week at the hotel. The travel agent rep highly recommended the "Fun Day" trip to Isla Mujeres. Oh my gosh, was it a nightmare. They pack you into a ferry and take you to a tiny little beachfront property with a junky beach. The "beach" is surrounded by docks and walkways. The water slide must be about 30 years old. All of the "unlimited activities" they offer must be booked during the ferry ride in 45 minute increments (they don't mention anything about this when you first book the trip). The "kayaking" was a small enclosed area of about 50 ft by 100 ft where you could enjoy paddling in circles. Just a low class excursion all the way around. By noon we couldn't take it anymore and packed oursevles into a taxi and got the heck out of there. We took a ferry back to Cancun and enjoyed the rest of the day back at the Fiesta Americana by the pool.

In summary, the hotel itself is a very nice place to stay in my opinion. As mentioned before, I think the majority of the reviews have it right. You will surely get some people who will have a bad experience with a particular room or a particular staff member. We feel that the hotel itself was worth the price. We booked through Orbitz and got a great price. (I did a quick web search for coupons and found one that gave us $400 off our final price, which was a nice little bonus.) Everyone raves about the breakfast buffet. It is as advertised - very diverse and with very good quality. Our only complaints were not about the hotel itself, but rather about some things that the hotel can't always control (such as beach conditions, the time share folks, and the travel agency). Some could argue that the last two are under their control, but I look at them as separate from the hotel itself. If Cancun attempts another beach reclamation project, we would certainly consider the Fiesta Americana Condesa again in the future.

1  Thank radioheadatl
Reviewed April 12, 2009

Overall, the hotel is very nice and is a good fit for families. The 'hotel' (lobby, restaurants, lounge, landscaping, etc) was extremely clean and well maintained. The room was just average and seemed a little more used. The pool seemed dirty but I wasn't sure if it was from all the sand being brought in by the swimmers or not. As the previous comment noted, there is NO beach in front of the hotel due to Wilma in 2005. This was rather disappointing to our kids but I were able to find an area that was safe not too far north of us. [Safe meaning not too many rocks or coral.] We got the breakfast included, which I would highly recommend. The food at all the restaurants, including the buffet, was excellent. We ate at 2 other hotels/resorts and the Fiesta Americana had the best food of the 3. We stayed the week prior to Easter (classic spring break) and there were many kids at other hotels around us but I saw few if any at our here. The typical guest was primarily family's with elementary or middle school aged kids from the US, Mexico, and Europe. When you check in make sure you talk with the Hospitality desk about getting a Fiesta Key card since it will save you 10%-15% at the hotel on food.