“Cheap and Strange”

Mayafair Design Hotel
Ranked #149 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The hotel is really cheap and its ok. Rooms are clean and have the basic stuff.

The strange thing is that it consists of a gallery that was turned into a hotel. So it looks like an abandoned mall. Kind of creepy. So the light is poor (since every room was a local) and there´s no view. Every room is dedicated to an artist (that's why "gallery"). Our´s was about Rui Kawakubo, a Japanesse designer, so the room had her style...which was bad taste. The bathroom is separated by a biombo.
The people at the reception was very nice and helpfull.
It is very near the "night area" at Cancun, so if your plan it to spend little money and rock the night, go for it. It is not romantic at all, so not a good idea for couple holidays.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Annette M
There are newer reviews for Mayafair Design Hotel

Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

If you just want a cheap hotel room and don't plan on spending much time in the hotel it's perfect. The rooms are fine, but the hotel is half closed down.

It is the worst customer service I have experienced in the last 4 months of travel. The guy who works in the mornings is less than helpful and doesn't know anything. His attitude is rude and cocky and he seems annoyed anytime someone asks for something. The guy who works at night is not rude, but only moderately helpful. Upon arrival they don't even show you to your room or offer to help you carry your stuff up the stairs, because there is no elevator... They just point. No information about the hotel or what's around it. It's not surprising this hotel is falling apart the people they have working here are giving it a bad name. I have been to other design hotels before and never experienced anything like this. If trip advisor allowed zeros, this place would get more of them.

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Kbizzy
Reviewed January 17, 2014

During my stay here i had many problems,.. my first night here i thought it was gonna be confortable but there are many sounds at night, like if something were walking over the roof, i did not want to know what was it, I really tryed to sleep but something stung me all night like a little insect, The next morning i was full of hives, i was really upset, i ask for another room, they said had no more..

If you want to eat something you have to go out of the hotel ´case they have no restaurant,

no Swimming Pool,

not even a nice place,

looks like a jungle and it feels like a jungle, hot, and there are many mosquitoes. Terrible experience i would have prefer sleep on the street at least i would have saved my money.

This is my experience.. now is your chosse

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Joseph L
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I spent a week with my boyfriend in this hotel.
The situation of the hotel was perfect, realy close to the restaurant and places of entertainment.
The rooms were huge, we were in a room dedicated to Madonna, splendid.
The staff was realy nice, although I have a missunderstunding with the service, they fixed it inmediately.
We took the Day Pass, and we could use all the services that the Oasis Hotel has. The pool, the restaurants, the bars...
We definitely will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sonia M
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I was been with my partner in the hotel. The room was terrible and very unclean. Without window, the bathroom is in the room without wall or door... Nothing to add. The reception guy is smart but the lobby and the rest of the hotel is old and destroyed. After frist night I get up with a sort of lake on the floor (water from the top). The experience was a sort of nightmare.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GCI1979
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were surprised about this hotel. We never seen anything so original. Rooms are very large and very clean and makes you feel special. Our room was Louis Vouton and we got a very nice linformation about this mark. Really informative and original!
They are located on the center of the tourist area so it was really easy to enjoy everything that Cancun has to offer. Front desk was vey fast and attentive and they were always there for us with tips and information. Is really something that we really reccomend. Kudos.

Room Tip: Beaches. Unbelievable
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Roman L
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I were vacationing in isla mujeres but decided to go out to cancun one night. We met a couple that were staying at the Mayfair so we worked out a deal for check in at 2am and check out the next day for $80 instead of having to leave the same day at 11am. The room and hotel set up is very strange. It is very close to the party zone, which is a plus. But you feel like you're camping in an abandoned shopping center. The room itself wasn't bad, just a very weird "too open" concept. I particularly don't enjoy having a toilet exposed in the same room I sleep in. It was fine for the short amount of time we were there but I couldn't imagine an extended stay here. If you're traveling alone this place isn't bad.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple