“NO WINDOW!!”

Mayafair Design Hotel
Ranked #137 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

I did a last minute Hotwire deal for this hotel for 1 night. The location is in middle part of the Hotel Zone. This place is very strange. You walk up a flight of stairs to the registration area. All the rooms have a large frosted glass front. Our room was right by the front desk/bar (it literally is both). The room itself was clean and had a modern flare but not a single window. Was SO claustrophobic. The bed had only a sheet on it-no blanket or cover. There was a toilet and shower area with no enclosure what-so-ever. The far end of thus hotel is a hostel. There was loud music, light and people partying right outside the door all night long. Served its purpose for one night but definitely would not go back.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank aeflygirl

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Booked two bed rooms turns out just one bed room available, and the second day we even need move out and had been settled in two place out of the hotel which is no hot water, and one place even still a job site for remodeling.
The worst experience ever. before they can fix their problems, not a worth to try your luck.

4  Thank YuechuanLi
ddjh74a, Guest Relations Manager at Mayafair Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

We apologize for your bad experience during the past Christmas holidays in which we had to displace you to another hotel as we were overbook. We have taken the proper measures for this not to happen again.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

yes, this may be one of the cheapest hotel you can get in that location, and you thought you got a good deal? just would like to let you know that this hotel was transformed from a mall, and it is still on-going. their reservation system sucks, we booked several rooms and there is only one for us. You may experience the time when there is even no water in the room. you may end up spending half day moving from this hotel to another temporary location with no hot water. Sounds unbelievable? That's what we experienced

3  Thank Eric J
ddjh74a, Public Relations Manager at Mayafair Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

We apologize for our overbooking problem. From 2008 Cancun never had so much demand and we did not anticipate the demand that we suffered during that week. We very much sorry to have accommodate you in another hotel. We learned our lesson and this will not happen again.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Everything is a nightmare there. We made a bunch of reservations for a couple rooms in Nov, got the confirmation letter yet they said they didn't have that in their system. Luckily the email address has the hotel name so there is no way for them to deny it. They ended up arranged rooms for us but the standard was far from what we originally requested. Also, it seems that it's a one-man hotel. The staff weren't able to make any decisions whatsoever and the manager was very RUDE, even trying to kick us out without giving any apology. It took rounds of argument with him to let him put us somewhere else. Yet we had to come back to the hotel for shower because the arranged place wasn't truly in living condition and had no hot water. It's a total rip-off and by no means I will recommend people staying there.

Room Tip: Spend a couple hundreds dollar more, you get what you pay
6  Thank joycechen423

We very much apologize for the difficult situation that you endureded during the week that Cancun was overbooked. We had to put you in a beach villa that ended also with the heater broken. The sudden economic recovery with the high demand caught our reservation agents completely unprepared and we could not found a better solution for you.

Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Very good and clean place reception helps with everything. Very nice location.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you very much for you comment. It is really a pleasure to see our efforts noted.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I am certain that my grasp of ancient Mayan culture, modern fashion design, and boutique hotels is going to fail me long before I can describe what this amazing and unique lodging space is becoming in its own artistic right. i hope you will spend some time discovering Mayafair Design Hotel on your next trip to Cancun because I'm sure your cultural range will do much more justice to this modern jewel than I can. This is my first trip to Cancun, although I have toured many other Mexican communities while living, studying, and working in Mexico. First, I will describe what I was loking for and then share what I found and didn't find during my one week stay.
i now live in New England where I teach Spanish. I planned to meet my friends, the fashion designers from Guadalajara, for sun and fun during my April vacation and their Semana Pascua (Easter weeek). We needed safe, clean, and comfortable diggs that didn't break our banks. But more than that, we like to stay at places that create awesome memories. When possible, we shy away from cookie-cutter box hotels that have the same room across the tourist universe. We picked Mayafair because it was offered at a 50% discount this week through Orbitz, it had cool Mayan designs for me, the student of Spanish, and fashion artwork for Gilberto & Kique the designer of modas. While the hotel is still being described on Orbitz for gay men, I did email the manager to see if it would be okay for me to stay, too. He wrote me back the same day, delighted to have me and updated the Orbitz description to "gay friendly" but open to all. I booked a package deal for me through Orbitz and added the guys through email contact. We reserved a double king bed room and now we are delighted to be guests in the Caroline Herrera suite.
So a cookie-cutter room is not the only thing you won't have here, and I imagine some lack of amenities would be a negative for some of you. The hotel is in the Hotel Zone but not on the beach. Furthermore, it doesn't even have a swimming pool, although there is a jacuzzi and small gym upstairs. Our room has a large bathtub-a rarity in traditional Mexican homes, but it is part of the open floor plan. The toilet and shower are separate. The feel is very European, although I am extremely happy that we have air condiitoning in the room. The hotel is close to the nightlife and we can hear the "spring breakers" and "semana santers" living their own adventures from the streets below. We spent our first day in Cancun being assaulted by the tour hawkers while working our way to the Cabana Beach, a nice little enclave where we had our own palapas, pool, bathroom, and access to the soul-calming turquoise surf.
My week here is not yet over. Eventually, we will decide which adventures lay before us. But my journey begins as I walk through the ambience of this establishment and ponder to myself the nexus between the ancient Mayan gods who adorn the lobby walls and the modern fashion dieties who likewise share this space. The faces emmerge from great, moss-covered trees that cover the structural columns reaching up to the vaulted glass roof. This place is an artistic expression so far beyond todo-incluido everywhere else. And when I co-join the detail that this hotel is itself growing and becoming something new, something fresh, far beyond its own used-to-be-just-another-tourist-zone-shopping center beginnings, I am afraid that I can't quite stretch my imagination far enough to land. I'm hoping that you will consider Mayafair Design Hotel on your next Cancun stay, but mostly I'm hoping you will find out for yourself what it feels like to be lodged inside this post-modern collage.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

We are astonished of your comments, as it really gets what we tried to express in our plans. And is really supportive that you took so much of your valuable time to share your feelings and emotions. If you happen to come back to Cancun make sure to contact us, as it will be an honor to help you have the time of your live in this special corner of the earth.

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Wow :) first of all the design took my breath :) Indeed MAYA style, gorgeous, inviting and charming.
Then I was amazed with how nice everyone is here, and very wanting to help, even to me, with my English :)

The room is air-conditioned, well-spaced, with a shower AND a bath. perfect.
Overall MAYAFAIR hotel has made my staying here in Cancun even better than my plan was :)
Mostly recommended, only if you want to enjoy youself ;)

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gefen_11
ddjh74a, Public Relations Manager at Mayafair Design Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Thank you very much for your nice comments. It is always a pleausre to find that the good service that we are looking for is enjoyed by our Guests and this encourage us to improve.