“Great golf in the sun”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Great golf in the sun”
Reviewed March 6, 2009

My husband and I golfed here 3 times during our week long trip to Cancun Feb 24-Mar 3, 2009. We also played once at the Moon Palace. We bought the all inclusive golf package with our stay at the Sun Palace. We liked the Riviera better as it was less busy and we weren't paired with another couple. We liked the layout of the course, the distances, and the fact that it wasn't busy. The fairways are narrow and there is lots of trouble in the water, jungle, and sand. I lost 15 balls and my husband lost at least 20. We ate lunch at the club house after each round, also included, and had good food and service. We really enjoyed our rounds. There is nothing like teeing off at 8am in February in the 25' sunny weather.

5 Thank MacOakville

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Wonderful Golf Experience”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Riviera Cancun Golf Course was fabulous. New course set in mangrove estuary blended well with natural surroundings. The staff knew my name when I arrived and could not have been more attentive. Every need was met. Course was challenging but fair and well kept. Played on a Saturday -- there were only 12 people on the course all day -- it felt like my own private course. I am told that Saturdays are a travel day for the crowds hence the private course feel. Other days it is booked up. Golf was followed with a wonderful meal included in the greens fees. Full menu dinner -- had fabulous pan seared grouper, fresh vegatables, staff that was friendly and met my every need. Everything here is new and top shelf. Transportation to and from hotel also included. I booked through Tee-times mexico.com. Paid $230 U.S. Others said they booked through their hotel and paid $160. I really don't care, it was worth the $230 fee, which I know is high. But I love to play as a single with no one on the course. This was the experience that I love, and they did everything that they could to make it that way.

4 Thank TinleyKing
Redondo Beach, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Phenomenal Service and Course Layout”
Reviewed October 29, 2008

We stayed at the Sun Palace Resort from 10/23/2008-10/30/2008 and had the pleasure of playing a couple of rounds at Riviera Cancun Golf Course. It's a shame that the course isn't listed as a Palace Resort course on their website yet but the manager said that it should be on the website soon.

My wife and I used our $200 golf credit and $100 palace promotion credit to play twilight golf ($150/player) on a Saturday. The weather was very nice for the first 11 holes or so but rained so hard that we had to come in. The cart boys were very accomodating (especially Luis who brought us shower towels to dry off with). The course assistant manager (Alberto) was nice enough to offer me another 18 as my wife couldn't play again.

We saw crocodiles, hawks, egrets, coatamundis, storks, etc. This made for some great photo ops and make sure to have your camera ready for the 14th green and 15th tee box that is very close to the beach/ocean. The clubhouse is a great place to have breakfast, lunch or dinner. We were in a rush and they gave us a couple of beers and box lunches to go. The sandwiches are very good! They have a great drink/snack service out on the course that's included if you're Palace Resort guests.

The course itself is very nice for the first 6 holes with some pretty holes that are relatively easy depending on the wind. The course starts on #7 for me and is very challenging with trouble on both sides of the fairway on almost every hole. I'm a 2 handicap and enjoyed the layout/design much better than the Moon Palace Dune/Lakes Course. Great par 3's with all over water, the par 4's were pretty tough especially 16 and 17- 455 and 475 yards respectively, and the par 5's are all fair (about 530 each from the tips). My only reccommendation is to play the appropriate tees for your game. If you get too eager and go back too far you'll definitely lose some balls.

They have a nice range and putting green that we never used as we just wanted to play golf. The palace resorts arrange free transportation if you schedule your teetime the day before. If you want same day golf, as we did the first day, be prepared for $15 taxi each way.

The following staff members really did a great job and I recommend tipping them-

Cartboys- Luis and Saolo
Management- Roberto (mgr) and Alberto (asst mgr)

8 Thank Greg6768