“Terrible trip”

$1,985.00*
7-Day Yucatan Peninsula Bike and Archaeological Tour
Ranked #45 of 284 Outdoor Activities in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: EcoColors is a sustainable tour operator located in Cancun, Mexico. We offer a wide variety of itineraries of 1 or more days which incorporate outstanding natural places,wildlife, culture and adventure in the Riviera Maya and other parts of Mexico. Some tours are operated in other parts of Central America such as Belize, Guatemala and even in Cuba. To give you an example of our activities: swimming with whale sharks, snorkeling in the second largest coral reef in the world, learning about ecotourism and exploring the most famous archaeological sites of the area are some of the fantastic things you could enjoy.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was my second trip with Eco Tours. The first Whale shark trip was great! I decided to take some friends for the experience.
We took this Whale shark tour on the very first day of the season last year. We were a party of (4) and really looking forward to a great day. Eco tours guarantees that you will see a whale shark or your money back. Well because of this offer, they would not give up the tour and turn around. The Captain insisted that we continue looking.The deck hand never offered us water, we had absolutely no shade, they never stopped the boat to see if we wanted to go into our bags for more sunscreen, after 4 hours we had to beg to have the boat stopped so we could jump in the water because we were suffering from heat stroke. No lunch was served as promised.
So after 6 hours of being on the water and driving completely around another island.....seriously thought the Captain was taking us to Cuba, that's how long we were on the water doing absolutely nothing......and all they did was refund us our money...no apology.
So my recommendation to all reading this is.... if they haven't already seen Whale sharks on a previous trip, then they aren't out there yet and I wouldn't book to do the tour. It was miserable because of no shade.....though I am sure there are other companies that the boat provides shade and offer water and lunch for its customers.
If I owned the company, I would have offered us to try again the following year at no charge just to show how good the company can be because honestly, the trip was terrible.

5  Thank Carolyn C

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Transport from the hotel went well. The tour was reasonably well organized at the departure point, but the facilities were awful. Of the two toilets in the women's room, one was plugged and full to the brim with urine and feces. The line for the other was so long there wasn't enough time for most women to use the toilet before the tour departed. The tour had been cancelled the day before due to bad weather, and probably should have been cancelled because the boat trip was so rough that several people got sick. I had taken Bonine and still got sick. Our boat looked for whale sharks for nearly three hours, and were about to give up when one small whale shark was spotted. We joined several other boats all circling around one small whale shark. Snorkels and fins were not provided. Most folks had brought their own gear, but I had to borrow from the tour guide. The water was rough enough that the tour's in the water guide had to hold me by the arm and drag me through the water, and I am a pretty fit swimmer. I did briefly see the one small whale shark, but it hardly lived up to the hype of the tour. We saw no other sea life. We were supposed to have lunch on a beach, but the trip had taken so long and was so tiring that our group elected to skip the beach stop. We had ceviche when we returned to the dock. I skipped since my stomach was still pretty ripped up. Had the weather been better, the facilities clean and functional, gear actually provided, and more than one little whale shark present, this might have been a nice tour. In reality it was a nightmare. I think that since the tour was so rough and saw only one small whale shark there should have been a refund. I very seldom give a bad review, but this trip deserved it. Book with caution.

2  Thank Brenda J
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Staff was wonderful for what we went threw!! Rough sea's everyone on the boat was sick exept for 2 people, the boat hit a wave and almost capsized threw the people across from us to the ground in one second. That was the start of the end!! My friend did not come because of a medical reason thx gosh she did not come there was NO medical equipment not even a band aid on board. They said they would contact me to hopefully get my friend a refund for not going, have not heard anything!! DO NOT go if you have any medical condition takes a long time to get back!! Worst 165,00 dollars I spent!! We did have a angel on board and her name was Roxanne thanks Roxanne!!

2  Thank Swivel720
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I want to thanks to all Ecocolors staffs who had tried hard to send me back to hotel on time as I need to rush back to the airport. Thank you everyone especially the boat captain. Thank you!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Really impressed with the organisation and professionalism of the company- the tour was on day 5 of the whaleshark season so we knew that it was possible we might not see any but we were not disppointed- approx 30 whalesharks and 7 mantas! The company is definately keeping eco-tourism in mind with rules about numbers of people in the water so not to crowd the whalesharks, using bio sunscreen etc. You could go in a number of times as you wished. It took a while to find the whalesharks but the company were happy to go our further and did not seen restricted by time or by distance in order to let us see them. I would say that the boat ride was quite bumpy and quite a lot of people felt seasick due to the small boat and swell, but there isn't much that could be done about that and it was totally worth it for the experience. The breakfast (coffee, fruit cake) and lunch (prawn ceviche) was very good- though we were offered a chicken sandwhich too but declined as we had seen them sitting on top of the console of the boat for about 7 hours in the sun! Great all round trip and I highly recommend it to anyone staying in the Yucatan peninsula (we were picked up from Tulum).