“Loved this Hotel and its location”

The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
Ranked #9 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 10, 2010

Well after months of reading tripadvisor reviews of this Hotel,we got to experience it ourselves. We loved it. The pool and beach were outstanding. The room was well equiped. The staff very friendly. We went on a Starwood promotion deal, it was about $400.00 for 4 nights, they did offer us a welcome bag and $75.00 if we listened to the presentation but we opted not to. No one pressured us which was nice. Some things that I had written down from previous reviews that I would also suggest are: Best Day Transfer,they were very good ( prepaid which was nice ) just dont forget to bypass all the guys in white jackets at the airport that start to circle you as you walk through. Best Day is located at location 60 ( way at the end when you get outside) Dinner suggestions where the best !!! We had dinner at Thai and La Madonna, both were fantastic, I highly recommend them. ( Have the Star Thai dessert at Thai and the Ceasar salad made tableside for you at La Madonna) The hotel was right across from the La Isla mall which was very nice. Great place to walk around and shop. The shrimp tacos at the Pool restaurant were great and dont forget happy hour is 4-5 pm, 2 for 1 drinks !!! Have fun

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jodaley

Reviewed May 1, 2010

We stayed there for 2 weeks in 2 bedroom unit and our unit was in building 2 floor 6. Wow! View to die for it. First of all I want to star my review by thanking to Janet and Omar at the front desk. They should be reconigzed for their profesionnalism, their hospitality, their helpfulness. They did everyting in their power to make our vacation wonderful. Thank you Janet and Omar. Also Adolfo / Bellman was superb.
This place was verywell mainteined, and service all around was excellent. i would love to go back there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Fistik56
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Stayed here with family for spring break. Very happy with the property itself. Dual level pool with water slide and nice wide beach kept the kids busy the whole week. Ate and drank most days at the poolside restaurant, which was very convenient. Menu prices were on the high side (Cancun is not a bargain-priced town). But when we tired of eating at the hotel, we just went across the street to La Isla shopping mall, which has a great selection of shopping and activities, as well as a Starbucks and McDonalds for a dose of our normal routine. The rooms were very nicely designed and since this is a timeshare property had a full kitchen, which was quite convenient. Two things on our trip were quite disappointing. We had an iPhone and iPod stolen from our room by someone who used a stolen room key (other friends had jewelry stolen from their room, so it seems that ours was not an isolated incident). Of course, I'd highly recommend using the in-room safe for anything of value. Secondly, timeshare owners were clearly the priority of the property. We were not owners, so booked on a per-night rate. We were placed in a room that had an ocean view (all rooms do), but we had to look over a parking lot to see it. After several days of asking to change rooms, we were finally told that there was nothing available due to a lot of owners coming to the property during that week.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank BEUNC
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Will never stay at this hotel again. I requested an umbrella, even went as far as signing a release not to hold the hotel responsible and was told one would be brought to me. After I had made my request to various personal I was told to go to the front desk and sign a waiver, a waiver that I had to write out myself. After doing all of this, Jose Vargas came and told me that they would not give me a umbrella due to the wind, It was not that windy. Mr. Vargas was arrogant and rude, I have stayed at several Westins and never had this experience. I feel that the Westin should have Mr. Vargas take a refresher course in hospitalilty as we were guests of his hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
10  Thank rbe55
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I dont know where to start to be honest. I never had such a mixed feelings about starwood property, and i visited many of them in my life. So i will simply put pro and cons of this place.
Pro: Location - across a street from a mall with number of different restaurants and activities for kids; amazing pool, great beach although water can be rough and sand has lots of broken shells by the water; friendly personal; family friendly; free internet and not a bad gym.
Cons: love it or hate it design with a mixture of crazy purple and pink colors (was someone smoking crack when they approved it?), ain't cheap food - be ready to pay similar pricing to USA, check in at 4pm, check out at 10am. THIS IS NOT A HOTEL!!!! IT IS A VACATIONAL PROPERTY and they follow their own rules (so all of u platinum SPG members forget about your platinum perks here, unless u have Elite status with starwood vacational property); lack of shaded area by the pool
Cancun became very different from what i remember in my teens. it is no longer a place for cheap booze. now it's a mixture of disney land and vegas catering to american tourist. unless u MUST come to Cancun (or got crazy cheap deal) u can spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LC2002
Reviewed April 26, 2010

JUst got back from my first visit to the WLGM resort.
The facility is beautiful; the rooms are very comfortable and well furnished and clean. The grounds are immaculate and also very beautiful. The views form your room are gorgeous. Check in is somewhat slow and don't expect to get in your room before 4pm.
(They need to work on that since most guests check out at 10-11 AM)
The pool: Absolutely beautiful, large and a dream to look at....EXCEPT: its cold!
They do not heat this pool which is a major problem. Hundreds og guests and only 10-12 people in the pool at any time becuase it was WAY too cold.
C'Mon Westin....you can do better than that? I was just down to the W in SOuth Beach and the pool was beautiful and HEATED each day. There shoud be a minimum temp set and the heater should kick in at that point - around the clock.
I can easily see why some people would not come back if the "ocean water temperature" is WARMER than the pool! Other than the cold pool, (and some noisy games w/ large speakers being blasted around the pool area by the staff) I loved the resort, the location, and the staff.
Just HEAT the pool please!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravelOverTheWorld
Reviewed April 23, 2010

It may have rained a few days when we were there, but it was still wonderful! The Westin Lagunamar, I thought, is one of the nicest places we have traded into. Everything about it was great. Our concierge, Violetta, was great - no high pressue with regard to taking a tour and buying a timeshare. Thanks Violetta. Everyone there was very helpful. I would go to the desk in the morning to change my dollars into pesos. They were very courteous and would give me the exact amount I needed for the bus fare.

The pools are great. Very pretty. We enjoyed the beach and sitting in the hut (some hut!). The suite was very neat and clean, everything we needed was there. My favorite part was the deck. The view - priceless!

This picture was from our deck. It is not a professional photo. When I had seen photos on this site before going, even though people said they took the photos, I doubted it.

I would recommend Westin Lagunamar to any age group. Hope to return again. I just want to use the word "wonderful" for the resort.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple