We just returned a few days ago from our stay at the Westin Lagunamar. We went because of an invitation/promotion from Westin Vacations for a 4 night stay and extended the stay ourselves. Having gotten these type of promotions before we were skeptical at first. The invitation did not require a timeshare presentation, but we ended up doing it anyway since it was worth the starwood preferred guests points to attend. We liked everything about the hotel except the high pressure sales tactics used in the timeshare presentation, perhaps another salesperson would not be like that. We did not end up buying, but were intrigued by the flexibility of the way they have set it up. Okay, enough timeshare nonsense.
The hotel is perfectly located directly across the street from La Isla shopping plaza, which is midway along the long part of the Cancun "7". We prefer not to do all-inclusive and enjoyed several nice dinners at some excellent restaurants nearby, including La Madonna which is in La Isla. The studio room had a nice little kitchen and ocean view including some ancient Mayan ruins that is right on the beach by the hotel. Very cool. As is typical of a Westin, the bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom was beautiful.
The pool is very large, with an infinity edge that makes it seem to blend with the ocean. Poolside chairs are hard to come by, you need to get up pretty early if you care about a prime seat (7:30 AM), but we are up so are okay with that. There was a decent mix of people, some spring breakers with chaperones, a few families with young children, but mostly couples. Some were timeshare owners, others were not, Maybe 50-50.
The poolside beverage service is excellent (maybe too excellent as it seemed we were asked every 20 minutes if we wanted another). Lunch was very quick, prices not too bad. Happy hour started at 4 PM. The pool also has a swim up bar.
The ocean was only calm one day during our stay. There is a 4-5 foot drop off along the coast by the water, but paths have been created so you can get to the water easily. It is 'swim at your own risk" in Cancun, you sign a waiver when you check in.
Evenings are on the cool side, but for some reason quite warmer when you head downtown. (we jumped on the bus to get anywhere for 7.50 pesos - about 60 cents).
We did not eat at the hotel main restaurant. There is a convenience store that is reasonable priced and sells a lot of things, since everyone has a kitchen. There are even big outdoor grills, but we did not see anyone using them when we were there. There is also a putting green and a small playground. And the rooms have a washer/dryer which I used the last night and brought home all clean clothes. Housekeepers did not speak English.
The hotel had arranged transport from the airport, which I found out was more costly and not as convenient as just grabbing a Green taxi upon arrival, so don't bother with it.
Our concierge was great in making dinner reservations and at most restaurants there are nice perks to having Westin do that for you. Either you get a discount at some places or a free cocktail. That was unexpected and very nice. So use the concierge services for dinner reservations. All the recommendations were excellent.
The 24 hour free business center is also a nice touch with 6 computers.
Checkout was at 10 AM but they extended us to 11:30 AM without a problem
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa is located on the white sandy beaches of Cancun, Mexico. Enjoy spacious one and two-bedroom villas that comfortably accommodates up to eight adults in as much as 1,140 square feet. Each villa features fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Vacatia, Hotwire, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel Cancun
- Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel
- Cancun Westin