6,108 results
All reviewswasher and dryerduna sports barstudio villala isla mallfun teaminfinity poolstarwood ownersheavenly spafull kitchensteak nightmall across the streetheavenly bedpersonal conciergeoutdoor mallpool conciergeswim up bartime share
Reviewed March 9, 2009

The Royal Beach Club is super. It comes with full breakfast and a free abundant and very large cocktails. Red Wine is excellent.
I can't comment on the main hotel. It looked like the only good rooms were the top floor with balconies.
The RBC gives a balcony with every room. Staff was super.
We had lunch at the Sunset Bar and Grill and had the best grouper we have had in years.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 7, 2009

I am a Starwood owner at Westin Lagunamar and my stay was in Feb 2009. The resort's location can't be beat. It is in the middle of the hotel zone at km 12.5 and directly across the street from outdoor La Isla shopping mall, which consists of good quality stores ( my favorite is Zara), Cinemark movie theater and a nice assortment of restaurants. It's very handy, but crossing the busy street could be dangerous if you are not cautious.

Westin Lagunamar is a Starwood Vacation Ownership property and consists of studio, one bedroom and two bedroom villas. I was solo and choose to stay in a one bedroom unit (775 sq ft) for my 7 nights. All the rooms have an oceanview and I recommend bldg 5 (rooms are above the lobby and have fantastic oceanfront view). The buildings are arranged in a U-shape and are bldgs 1-9. Each bldg is 8 stories high. When bldgs 1 and 9 are complete, those rooms facing directly onto the ocean will be in the prime location. I have the floor plans of the individual unit types, send me your email address and I can send to you.

The property opened in summer 2008, so the villas are new, modern, sleek and have nice Mexican touch- i.e. tile in kitchen and bathroom, decorative ceramic vases. The one bedroom unit has full kitchen, with dishwasher, electric stove, microwave, refrigerator, sink, dishware, pot/pans, toaster, coffee maker, excellent set of knives and even blender with margarita glasses! The living room had queen sofabed, ceiling fan, flat panel TV, DVD and Bose player and door to the balcony. The dining area had comfortable seating for 6. The wood sliding doors open to the bedroom, which has Heavenly Bed, lots of drawer storage, flat panel TV, lounge chair with ottoman, ceiling fan and sliding glass door to the balcony ( which had table and 4 chairs). The large bathroom had jacuzzi tub, terry robes, dual sinks ( with undercounter drawers for storing toileties), blowdryer, toileties, enclosed toilet, separate shower, large closet (finally, plenty of hangers!), in room safe and more storage drawers.

Also, included in the room, is washer/dryer with plenty of detergent, iron and ironing board, and vacuum cleaner. The climate control is on separate zones, so the living area and the bedroom can be adjusted independently. The housekeeping for owners is only one time per week, but additional service is available for a fee. In room internet connection is free.

The beach is beautiful with white powder sand and gorgeous turquoise blue water. All the beach chairs and pool cabanas are free, first come, first serve basis. There were more than enough pool lounge chairs. I thought Feb would be ideal time of year, but unfortunately it was windy and not as warm as I hoped. From what I heard, the swimming pool was cold. For me, it did not get warm enough for me to go into the water, either at the beach or pool. The infinity pool is huge, has a great waterslide and there is a tot pool. The property has planned Activities every day for both adults (power walk, morning stretching, tae kwondo) and kids ( puppet show, pottery, bingo).

On the property, the dining choices are Viento Poolbar/ Grill ( has swim up bar), for cocktails and food by the pool, Oceano for dinner (fresh seafood with Mexican touch)
and the Tierra market for coffee, snacks, drinks, marinated meat for grilling, sandwiches and other grocery items ( its expensive and you pay for the convienience).

Westin amenities include the Kids Club, for ages 4-12, Workout fitness room ( also, has sauna, steamroom and open 24/7) and Business Center with 6 computers ( no charge and 24/7). There is a miniature "pee wee" golf area, outdoor grills and kids playground also onsite. The hotel will also change money for you for favorable rate with no transaction fee. I read that using an ATM in Mexico, you have to have a 4 digit pin. I went to my Bank of America, and they confirm this for me and I changed my pin. The US dollar appears to be relatively strong right now!

You really don't need to rent a car. For groceries, I took the local bus R2 or R15 to the Walmart and it was $6.5 pesos each way ( about 50 cents). If you have a big haul, you can easily take a taxi back, as they are lined up in front of the store. Costco is a short taxi ride from Walmart. OXOX (half the cost for same thing at the Westin Tierra market) is like a 7-11 and is less than 5 minutes walk away. Domino's pizza is also near.

At the La Isla shopping center, there is a Starbucks, Chilis, Planet Hollywood, McDonald's and local restaurant favorites, La Madonna, Thai Lounge and Casa Margarita. The buses run up and down the Hotel Zone- Blv Kulkulkan, so you can easily go to any of the restaurants or other hotels in this area. Seems like restaurant reservations are recommended, as it appeared that the popular restaurants get very crowded.

The Plaza Kukulkan km 13 is a indoor shopping mall within walking distance and has Luxury Avenue with designer goods, Fendi, Louis Vuitton, Ferragamo, Burberry, Cartier, Coach and other high end brands.

I arranged my airport transfer through the hotel prior to arrival with the property concierge. Sarah Swan is very helpful and Che Travel is the exclusive provider. A private van pickup for up to 4 people is $35 USD total cost, each way . Email Sarah at [-] to make your arrangements.

I booked a trip to Chichen Itsa through a waiter I met at Chili's across the street and it was half the cost ( about $50 USD) from what the hotel offered. It was worth going to, its an all day trip and you go to a cenote ( water hole, have lunch and have a guided tour at the ruins) There is a ferry to Isla Mujeres and I'll do that next trip. There is no snorkeling off the beach here, like there is at Westin Ka'anapali in Maui.

My only negative would be that the property seemed like it still needed some finishing touchs. The landscape wasn't perfect ( dying palm trees and other plants ), one of the glass doors at the lobby had plywood on it, the fountain in the Sales Gallery wasn't operational and they are still building phase 2 next door. Hopefully, with time, everything will be finished and pristine. As an owner, I can refer friends for a promo package ( I believe it is $349 for 4 nights in studio). If you are interested send me your name, address, email address and phone number and I can sign you up to get an invite for the promo. If you want to stay longer or a bigger unit, you can pay additional fee. You will book everything through Starwood.

Your money will go very far in Mexico, especially with the current strength of the US dollar. It is nice to have a kitchen, so that you don't have to eat every meal out. I strongly recommend the Westin Lagunamar for anyone going to Cancun.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
21  Thank SusieJue
Reviewed March 6, 2009

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor, it seems that most folks are more patient with the issues that we found due to the fact that the property has not been open long and is still under construction... well, it has been over 6 months and this *is* a Westin property... it's probably time for them to have worked out most of the kinks... just know things are NOT running smoothly...

Beyond that, what can I tell you about the Lagunamar... the words and phrases that come to mind are: beautiful, inconsistent, identity crisis, poor management, very nice staff

The Lagunamar is a condo first and upon arrival we were immediately whisked away to sales center by our "personal concierge", even after we expressed hunger, we were captive for almost an hour... the spa certificate "gift" was for the spa at the Westin hotel (10 KM away) which was not explained (really more a gripe with Starwood than the Lagunamar folks)
- Nice room and view though the shower did leak
- Beautiful pool area
- Lunch service, by the pool, was clearly understaffed; the staff were very pleasant to deal with not taking their need to run around out on us
- Dinner room service was a real struggle (multiple routings, dropped calls and message unanswered) to get through and the food was mediocre

The next day we ventured to the breakfast buffet which consistently had real traffic problems (floor management) particularly around the prep area for eggs/pancakes - buffet dishes were not regularly replenished
- Breakfast ordered from the menu yielded little improvement
- Pool area, though beautiful, has limited lounges with no system to release/identify lounges that are no longer being used
- Had to call for maid service (two of the four days) and Room service dishes from dinner the night before were never removed

The location is good and there is the Isla Mall directly accross the street though be careful, it is very hazardous at night

Bus transporation is easy to manage, there is a bus stop in front of the Mall... very convenient...

"Thai", in the mall across the street, is an amazing meal - - four stars!!

More griping... the signage to the on-site ruins is confusing with no direct access from the hotel... beach access has you enter from the property next door

One request to our "personal concierge" for return transportation to the airport was never accomodated - resulting in confusion when we departued (again a gripe with Starwood)
dinner reservations made with the concierge desk were never made

Day of departure ordered room service for breakfast which never arrived

Though the facility was physically beautiful the management issues overshadowed our time at Lagunamar...

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank NovaTova
Reviewed March 5, 2009

I wouldn't normally go to Cancun, but with a 14 mo. old we wanted something convenient and this worked really nicely. Overall, the resort was lovely and had a great atmosphere. If i hadn't been there with my (sick) toddler I might have even found it relaxing!

Kid-specifics:
The kiddie pool was great and the staff was very baby friendly. The breakfast was a little pricey but we ate a lot of food at the buffet and the staff was fine with us lingering there and our son making a mess and walking around. That was worth the money. I do wish the hotel had a central "hang-out" location, with a traditional lobby. Only because we were often looking for somewhere to plunk down and let the baby run around, and it was usually REALLY windy outside, especially later in the day. I'm not a fan of malls and chain restaurants, but it was nice to have La Isla Plaza across the street for casual (aka kid-friendly) dining options and walking around with the stroller.

We had some medical issues (i had to go to the hospital and my son needed a shot of penicillin) and the hotel's doctor on call was terrific. We are very grateful for that. And the staff was super-nice and helpful, which really made us feel much better.

Other pros:
Large 1 bedroom unit, good layout, great for putting baby to bed and then being able to watch TV in the other room. The room service was fast and the food was decent. Nice beach, good for swimming on less windy days, and if you are an experienced ocean swimmer, even the rough days are fun. The view was wonderful, and we were only on the second floor. We enjoyed our balcony.

Other cons:
Housekeeping. Oh dear. Some days they were there at 9 am and did a great job, and other days they came at 5 pm and did little more than drop off fresh towels. I found myself vacuuming a few times with the vacuum we found in a closet. And it didn't seem like they cleaned the bathroom every time the came either. Yuck. So I did that a few times. Not fun when I was feeling sick and thought i was on vacation.

Also, there is an opaque glass window between the bathroom and the bedroom that lets in tons of light, so if someone turned on the bathroom light during the night it flooded the bedroom with light. Not a big deal except the baby was sick and waking at the drop of a hat.

But OVERALL, we really liked it and would go back. Hopefully healthy next time.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank lopeytt
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Just back from a late Feb/early March, 2009 trip to the Westin Lagunamar. It was wonderful. We stayed in a 1 bedroom. It was huge! Very large bathroom, huge kitchen and living room. AWESOME view of the ocean! They upgraded us from a studio for no extra charge.

The location is fantastic - best in Cancun in our opinion. Directly across from La Isla Mall, best mall in Cancun, and about 1/2 mile from Kukulcan Mall, 2nd best mall in Cancun. Busses directly in front of the hotel will take you anywhere for $.50. We never waited more than 1 minute for a bus.

Weather was wonderful. Service was just o.k., but nothing to complain about. Great food and drinks at our hotel, as well as throughout Cancun. Highly recommend this resort and Cancun. Resort also GREAT for kids. Very safe. Great pool. Nice beach. Great kids club.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple