6,107 results
All reviewswasher and dryerduna sports barstudio villala isla mallfun teaminfinity poolstarwood ownersheavenly spafull kitchensteak nightmall across the streetheavenly bedpersonal conciergeoutdoor mallpool conciergeswim up bartime share
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I was really nervous about this as we are booked as part of a timeshare experience (buy a 3 year experience to taste what it's like on the timeshare programme). Booking it was the most complex and stressful process full of restrictions despite what we were sold. However none of that is this resorts issue that's the interval international programme. So when we arrived at the security gate and the taxi driver had to give our name in I was so relived they were expecting us!
Entering the Westin reception is a lovely experience. It really is as beautiful as the pictures portray if not more so. The reception team and the baggage porters are so lovely and welcoming ( in fact everyone is, smiling all the time saying hello (Hola), all wanting to ensure you are enjoying your stay. We were advised on check in that whilst our room wasn't ready (check in at 4 we arrived at 2) we had a beautiful room. I hoped so as we had already dropped a specification level from our deal, we were entitled to a 1 bedroom apt but all that was available on the exchange was a studio, again nothing to do with the resort but the programme. When we entered our room they weren't wrong! We have had the most beautiful room, ocean view, stunning facilities, jacuzzi bath, excellent kitchen facilities and even a washing machine and dryer, all including washing up liquid, powder etc. We wanted for nothing.

We have had a week here and it really is superb. We have no complaints whatsoever. We are a couple and despite this being a family resort there is plenty of space for families and couples. The beach access is superb, there are plenty of beds despite what some reviews say. There are some people who do the usual sun bed bagging by getting out early towels out on beds then not turning up for 4-6 hours then when they do only turning up for an hour at most (extremely selfish people). But all you need to do is tell the concierge and they will remove the stuff after an hour.
We weren't affected by it at all as there were so many many beds around. The hotel is about 90% occupied yet in the second pool area it's so quiet.
The pool concierge staff are so helpful and on hand for anything you want. The on site supermarket is excellent and yes more expensive than your local supermarket at home but not bad prices at all and certainly comparable to the local supermarket and liqueur store overs the road.

That is a bank on site but it has a heavy charge about £5 per withdrawal but if you go over the road to the Nova Scotia bank it's about 50p.

The facilities over the road are excellent loads of restaurants nearby and shops galore. Don't expect prices to be low though, these are top brands at top prices or even cheap brands at top prices.

We have had a super time here the hotel is superb as are the staff.
No complaints form us and a very happy time had.

Room Tip: Block 900 ocean facing is spectacular.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janine R
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. It is very important to us that you take home memories that you will never forget. And is very important to us your feedback for improvement every day. We hope to see you again next year to enjoy another Westin experience!!
Best regards,
The Westin Lagunamar management Team

Reviewed August 15, 2014

if you would take this hotel and put it not in front of this gorgeous caribbean sea, it would be a 2 star. but since its on the ocean you forget all other issues with the hotel. whenever i called down to the front desk with a request, either it never came or came a hour later. one night i came back to find that my room has not been cleaned. they charge for in room coffee.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review. We will share your feedback with the respective upper Managers so that they can ensure our associates are doing their best to provide our guests with a refreshing experience. Please contact us to: lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com for further assistance on this matter.

Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in 8/14. The hotel was gorgeous, but the Westin lacked tremendously in their signature service. Not once while at the pool did anyone come up to offer us poolside or beach service. I saw waiters passing, but did not reach out at all. We ate at two of the hotel restaurants, and service was below par. We continuously had to ask for service. We attempted to speak with the manager, but no one ever contacted us. We ate dinner at one of their "theme" nights, and for 420 pesos per person, I expected more. The food was great, but again service was terrible. We went directly to speak with someone, but no manager was available. We will stay again mainly due to the property beauty, and with hopes the service will improve.

• Stayed: August 2014
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate your feedback to improve every day and helps us to work even harder in those areas you mentioned. We also want to thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar as your Caribbean gateway.
We look forward to welcome you near future and experience the enhancements
Warm Regards from Cancún!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I’ve spent 6 days in this hotel last summer and we had a great time. The hotel looks new and clean (doesn’t smell like mold or anything). The rooms are fine, have everything you need, mini kitchen etc. I just wish the sheets were a better quality but other than that it was fine. The highlight of the hotel is definitely the infinity pool!!! I’m not a pool kind of person as I grew up by the beach but this pool made me forget about the beach that was right there. Breakfast is not necessarily included. I decided to pay out of pocket one day what was kind of expensive. It is not an all-inclusive resort, but this was our option since we could have more fun exploring restaurants around. Location is perfect, right across the street of a mall and walking distance from another mall. Service is overall very good. We just had a bad experience with one employee during check out time but all the others were very kind and helpful to us.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much of a super fantastic review!!! We are so happy and pleased to know that you and your family had a great time at our property. We like to give our guests a memorable experience and we are so thrilled to know you enjoyed our amazing infinity pool.
Looking forward to welcoming you near in the near future,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Funny as I never read the reviews before booking this property. My wife and I snuck down to Cancun for a few nights for some rest and relaxation. We stayed the first two nights at the Hyatt Zilara, which we went to in April. GREAT property. We wanted to redeem some points so we decided to spend our last night at this property. I've been to Cancun over 25+ times over the past 20 years. I've stayed in most of the major resorts but never stayed here.

I believe this used to be a Sheraton property. Not sure when it switched over to Westin. First the positive. The property is really beautiful and well located. It's right across the street from the shopping mall. Not that we do much shopping in Cancun but still nice.

The rooms are really great. We had a one bedroom Villa in building #5 (main building where you check in). Fabulous having a kitchen (although we didn't use it) but if we come with kids it would be fabulous having a stove top, full fridge with freezer, microwave oven and washing machine/dryer. Really great! View was amazing, AC was cold, bathrooms nice. I felt it was a GREAT deal for only 10,000 SPG points. The pool was really huge and great infinity pool. Beach was nice. They have a gym if you want to work out down below. Beautiful water fountains with lights at night.

The negatives. While the property is gorgeous, the management is really horrible. Things were chaotic! I have quite a bit of experience and knowledge about the hospitality industry having formally owned the largest property management in Argentina. Having great properties is only part of the equation. The other important part is the service. In this regard, the Westin fails miserably.

We were just coming from the Hyatt Zilara but we waited until about 2PM. They said check in wasn't until 4 PM which is hard to believe as that is so late. I'm a Platinum SPG member and been in tons and tons of properties around the world. But almost always I could request an early check-in. They said the room wouldn't be ready until 4 PM. No biggie. While not convenient, we checked in our bags and went to the pool area to relax until about 4:30 PM. They gave us a pager and it never went off. So we decided to go check at 4:30 PM and I asked them what the deal was?

We went to the main desk to check in and it was a chaotic mess! There were tons and tons of people checking in. The line was probably at least an hour wait and it was moving slow. There was no SPG Priority Platinum desk like many properties have. We decided to walk to another building where we saw another check-in desk which was empty. We first went here when we originally checked in. Good move as it was completely empty (it's next to the Owner's Lounge Center).

The girl said our room wasn't ready. I was not happy at this point but I kept my composure. She could tell I wasn't happy. It was funny as my wife heard her speaking in Spanish saying we were Platinum and they needed to get a room ready. We had to wait about 15 minutes but we were happy they got a room key. The horrible thing is she didn't explain well where it was. This property is MASSIVE and huge and the room numbers don't correlate with where the room is except I believe the original # which is the building #.

Also, at the check-in I asked her what Platinum benefits existed here as it seems like nothing. I requested a late check-out and she said no that isn't a benefit. Check out at 10 AM! HUH? Check-in at 4 PM and check-out at 10 AM? She said to call and check in the morning. As a Platinum usually I get upgraded to the best available room usually. But not here. That isn't a benefit here. Then she said we could pick breakfast or points. We picked breakfast.
When we checked out imagine my surprise when they charged us and they said no it was only a continental breakfast that we had to specifically ask for not the buffet. No one explained anything here. No real management construct in place which is surprising for such a nice property.

We get to our room and it was very nice. No complaints there. Funny we went down to eat and it was about 7:30 PM. We pass through the lobby and there is a guy literally screaming at the lobby desk. He said, "what the heck. It's 7:30 PM and my room isn't ready???!!!". I joked with my wife I would be that angry if I was him. Poor guy was in his swim trunks sopping wet. It was dark already and his room wasn't ready. What the heck??? How can a luxury property like this operate this way and not have a room ready by 7:30 PM? Like I mentioned, no management construct in place.

This place needs a clear system of management training and customer service. The property is really great and the experience could be positive but I just read a few reviews below mine and I think the guy that said he couldn't check in until 7:30 PM was the guy I heard yelling at them. And I don't blame him.

Not everyone is bad. I forget the name of the girl that checked us out but she was very friendly. She saw we were Platinum and she said we could check out at 2 PM. We asked her if we could shower in some room as our flight didn't leave Cancun until 8 PM. Our driver came at 6 PM. She was very kind and explained we could shower in the Gym showers which were very nice. You just have to get a key card in the supermarket area below. The showers were nice and they had shampoo and soap. VERY convenient if you have a late flight.

We ate at the restaurant and the breakfast buffet was decent (which we paid for) but the other restaurant by the pool was nothing to write home about. One of the nice things if you come with your kids is you can buy stuff (we saw many people bringing tons of food from Walmart in taxis) and can even grill out as they have several grills by the pool to use. They have a small supermarket below the hotel by the gym but prices are really expensive. I think I paid $7 US dollars for a big bottle of Evian bottled water. Some Gardettos chips was like $9 a bag.

I'd still come back here as it's a nice property and especially if I come with my young kids because of the kitchen set up and great pool. But they would do themselves a huge favor if they just spent some time better managing the staff and putting in place better procedures for check-in. We still had a nice time so I'm rating it "very good". I'd rank it excellent if they fixed the customer service issues.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank saintba

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and comments, it is really important to us to know what the experiences are of our valuable guests and encourage us to improve in those specific areas. We really hope you can give us the opportunity to welcome you again so we can show you the renewed Westin Lagunamar´s experience.