We spent a week at this beautiful resort in Cancun. The facility is absolutely beautiful! Every room faces the Caribbean Sea and the view is breathtaking! The rooms are quite large, well-equipped and comfortable. The grounds are well maintained and in keeping with the Caribbean. There are several pools for swimming and lots of space for sitting by the pool and relaxing. The hotel staff is excellent and the Concierge staff is exceptional. Our Concierge, Delfina, was outstanding and provided us with great information on everything from a trip to Chichen Itza to local restaurants. The hotel furnishes transportation from the airport to the hotel and return for a reasonable fee. If I only had to rank the hotel, I would give it 5 stars! However, there were also several restaurants on the property, but they are not truly representative of the Starwood philosophy.
Our first night we opted to eat at Duna, a Sports Bar, thinking it would be fast as we were tired from travel, and we could catch a little of the March Madness Basketball games. We were wrong on all counts. It took sometime before our waiter acknowledged us once we were seated. My daughter and I ordered hamburgers, a drink and a bottle of water. My son-in-law ordered a pizza. After what seemed like an interminable wait, the drinks arrived, but no bottle of water. Once the food arrived it was quite mediocre. The hamburgers lacked flavor. The pizza was just average and the drinks were not what was expected, based on the contents. The bottle of water finally arrived after requesting it again.
The first morning we tried to go to breakfast at Oceano, but arriving right at 11:00 (when they close for breakfast), they would not let us in. So, we went to Viento, the poolside restaurant. This restaurant opens at 11:00, and we were the first ones there. The menu was limited and the service was terrible. It took 50 minutes from the time our order was taken until our food arrived. We didn’t order fancy: A hamburger, a quesadilla and a fruit salad with lime sherbert. Getting a bottle of water here was worse than at Duna.
We did return to Oceano for breakfast later in the week. The brunch was very good and had many options. There was fresh fruit, omelets, eggs fixed to your liking, lots of Mexican pastries, breakfast meat, fresh fruit juices, champagne, mimosas and bloody Mary’s, as well as desserts. We also had breakfast ordering from the menu one morning. The service in here was much better.
Rating the entire package, I would have to give this hotel 3 ½ stars because of the restaurants. I will definitely return, but will shy away from the restaurants here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun is located directly on a white sandy beach. Our resort in Cancun, Mexico offers spacious one and two-bedroom villas that comfortably accommodate up to eight adults in as much as 1,140 square feet. Each villa features fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi, in a perfect setting in the Hotel Zone on Mexico's Costa del Sol. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Priceline, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel Cancun
- Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel
- Cancun Westin