“Exceeded my expectations”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto
“Exceeded my expectations”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This trip was my first to Cancun and my first to Mexico. In every area this hotel surpasses expectations. Everyone from the concierge, to the dining room staff, the housekeepers, bellboys, anticipate your needs and make it such a welcoming place. The hotel concierge had such great ideas about the area and helped me to make up my mind on where to tour. In the dining areas I always had someone ready to take my order or assist in some way and was so friendly about it. I could ask any of the front desk staff questions about my stay and they were so accommodating. I was a bit apprehensive this being my first trip to Cancun and being a single woman, but it actually turned out very well, it was a nice, quiet relaxing stay in the hotel room and the pool areas and beach were great. The pool and beach areas had plenty of couples and families with children and I found I could relax and lounge very easily among all the other guests. One thing that helped put my mind at ease before I got there was you can get transportation arranged by email from the front desk. I would recommend that for other travelers.

Room Tip: I loved my room because it was quiet and had a wonderful view of the ocean and pool below. It was a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank aniedasani
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are glad to know that we exceeded your expectations of a truly Westin Lagunamar Experience, we hope to welcome you for a second experience in a near future, thank you for sharing this with other travelers. It will be a pleasure to host you soon.
Warm Regards from sunny Cancun,
The Westin Lagunamar Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,763)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
wilmington
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to this property and we enjoyed it very much. It is clean, conveniently laid out and the view is great. The new spa is very nice and service is terrific. The weather is excellent most of the time.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Gary N
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your loyalty and for taking the time ro write this review. We hope to welcome you back for a third Lagunamar Experience.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Just returned from an outstanding trip to the Westin Lagunamar. We researched so many resorts in Cancun and surrounding areas, but we decided to stay here based on the positive reviews.

Our family is pretty high maintenance when it comes to Spring Break. We expect a certain quality of service and accomodations and the WL delivered.

We stayed in Bldg 1300 and our room was clean with nice upgrade touches. My wife walked into the room and was immediately impressed with our 1 bedroom suite. Big win!! :) Having a full kitchen with washer dryer were major pluses. Our ocean view was good. Not great, but definitely can't complain. The only issue was the air conditioning noise from the Aqua Resort next door. Our room was near this area, so we could not hear anything but the air conditioners. Nothing we could do about it, so we powered through.

The pool areas were awesome. There is a big pool area near the main lobby and then a second pool area near a smaller lobby. We hung out a lot in the big area, but when we needed a little privacy, we headed over to the smaller pool. Great pool side spirits and food service. The menu offered good nutrious options as well. Just a little tip....If you arrive to the resort early and your room is not ready yet, there should be plenty of lounge chairs in the smaller pool area. The chairs in the large pool section are usually taken by 10:00, so it is hard to find seating. But, the smaller section usually had good chairs available all day long. So you can enjoy a little sun while your room is getting ready :)

Getting pool or beach chairs in the peak of Spring Break is usually challenging. We did not have any issues at WL. Sure, if you want the premium front row chairs by the pool, you may have to go down early and save them in the AM. Or pay the Pool Concierge a weekly tip and he will take care of you. But otherwise, there were usually chairs available throughout the day.

The location of the resort was great. A quick 20ish minute ride from the airport. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. The mall across the street was nice for a few days and then we kinda got tired of it. So it was nice to have other eating places outside of the mall. Definitely recommend El Fish Fritanga which is less than a 10 minute walk. From the street it is a walk up food stand, but go down the stairs and it opens into a cool, casual, sandy floored restaurant. Great for kids as well. Go when it gets dark and enjoy the lighting. On the flip side, the Senior Frogs tourist trap restaurant was just a nightmare. It is definitely a famous place, but they know it and just take advantage of us Americans. I need to write a Trip Advisor review for this place. Definitely a one star.

We did not get pressured at all to buy a timeshare. We got a phone call once and that was it. Sure, we could have gotten some discounted excursions by attending the seminar thing, but we passed.

It sure appeared that Fridays and Saturdays were absolutely crazy with people checking in/out, etc. Sure, this is typical for vacations, but I could definitely tell that people got frustrated with the masses leaving and coming. The resort was doing their best to accommodate. We flew in on Sunday and left on Sunday. It was awesome. Check in was a breeze, the room was ready by 1:00, and check out was easy. So if you can do a Sun/Sun trip, you may want to investigate this. Oh, and the airport was not packed either. We just cruised through with very little wait.

Definitely take advantage of the "Photoshop" service that the WL offers. They have photographers on staff and they will take you around the resort and take semi-professional photos. The deal is that you can get one ONE photo for free. But of course, once you see all of them, you end up buying more. We had a great experience and ended up buying over 20 out of 75 photos. Was about $200.

As many people have written, the Cancun buses are safe and cheap. There is a stop in front of the resort and the buses are plentiful, so you don't wait long. You just have to be ready when you get on the bus. These bus drivers are on a mission. They don't stop long and will definitely start accelerating when you are still paying them. I almost landed in somone's lap as I was not aware of this, so just be ready :).

Finally, I found the resort to be well kept, clean and crisp. When you walk down the beach, you will see that other resorts are a little weathered. And these resorts are still priced around $400-500 per night during Spring Break. But the WL was in great shape. I was really glad that we chose this resort.

Overall, we would definitely stay at the Westin Lagunamar again. And would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Jimmy W
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recommendations and for taking the time to post your detailed review, The Westin Lagunamar’s Experience goes beyond the simple needs of our valuable guests. We try with effort to help and provide everything to meet your expectations, working professionally as the Concierge Staff does. We hope to welcome you again soon!
The Westin Lagunamar Cancun
Halifax
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during a very busy time with 95% occupancy but still everyone was very attentive throughout our stay
It will be unfair to name a few as everyone was great
As it was peak time we did not get any upgrade which was disappointing But a whole bunch of villas were getting renovated and we were in the middle if block getting renovated
Hope it finishes soon
Hardly in room so did not bother us but some one wanting to spend in room might be disappointed
Beech was great
All services in hotel were good
Kids pass is good if parents are good eaters but if not probably ties you to eat in only 3 places in resort
Happy hour cocktails are bargain
Different times for each restaurant which is good
A great family vacation for people with kids
Very family friendly place

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank SidSne
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are gladto read your review, that is exactly the reason we look forward to exceed your expectations and give you the Lagunamar Experience you deserve; this makes you don’t want to leave the hotel.Our staff who goes beyond the limits to help our valuable guests.
Thank you for posting such a nice review and we hope to welcome you soon!
Saludos from paradise
Bondi, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2014 via mobile

Whilst the resort itself is in dire need of a renovation, it most definitely makes up with the incredible motivated and customer focused staff. From checkin to checkout staff always ensured I was accomodated from ensuring I had a margarita in my hand or made good recomendations in terms of tours and entertainment. Everyone always says hello and never had an issue. The restaurants and buffet service wqs excellent and I had upgraded to an all.inclusive package which worked out better for me. As mentioned the hotel itself is in need of a renovation but the service was excellent. Big thankyou to all who serviced me in room 1121 especially the bar staff Javier who makes the best margarita fresas and the other bar men who looked after my partner and I. Cannot wait to come back thank you westin!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank POLARBEAR81
Dear Family,
We are really happy by reading your amazing feedback, we are always happy to help you and your family to have a Westin Lagunamar experience. Nothing is more important than knowing you left the property so happy. We know you will be back soon!!
Saludos from Sunny Cancun!
IL
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is one of the bigger properties on the Cancun hotel strip. The awesome service started right when we got outside the airport where we were greeted with the Westin representative and we had a nice comfortable bus ride to the hotel. Unlike other transports, they didn't wait until more people arrived and we just went. The transport was $45 USD which is a little more than a taxi around $32 USD but worth it. Then we were greeted with the bell man that took our suitcases and put it inside a holding room until our room was ready since we arrived so early. We went to reservations and the lady gave us a beeper so we can explore the hotel and start swimming/lounging until our room was ready. We got there around 10 am and we finally got a beep around 2 pm to let us know our room was ready. Since then everyone on the hotel premises were great and provided great service. I would talk more about the service but it might never end.
The hotel room itself was really nice. We got a room with an awesome view on the 4th floor overlooking the ocean. If you can get room 1445 or nearby, try to get it! It has a small kitchenette with stove, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator and we also had a washer/dryer to wash our clothes. The bed was very comfortable with really nice plush pillows. We also got a pull out sofa but didn't use it. The showers were very spacious and bathroom was very nice with a couple of room dividers that were very useful.
There were multiple pools, one big endless pool and another with a slide and another more exclusive one near our room. Plenty of choices plus you can go out to the ocean to swim. The waves were plentiful especially in the morning and late afternoon with high tide. My daughter and I had so much fun playing in the waves and the beach was so clean and picturesque.
The hotel is located right across the street from a very nice mall with a Starbucks, McDonalds, Chilis, Hooters and many nice clothing stores. The bus system in Cancun is very convenient and cheap. We went to the downtown to visit the local markets which have much cheaper souvenirs and also we wanted authentic mexican food so we ate at one of the local restaurants. The bus ride is only 1 USD each way. There's also a Walmart in downtown in case you're staying longer and wanted some groceries.
We went to Xcaret and the hotel gave us a 35% discount on tickets which was nice. Xcaret is definitely worth the money. My daughter and i also did the swim with the sharks while we were there and she loved it.
All in all a great Cancun experience and Westin was a big part of it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank depazed
Dear Guest,
We loved your comment, thank you for taking the time to post it. That´s all our guests need to know to have a special stay with us and to enjoy the Westin Lagunamar Experience; it makes us happy serve and pamper our guests. Thank you for choosing The Westin Lagunamar for your vacations.
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This place is awesome! I have no complaints, one of the BEST vacations Ive been on. I took my two teenage daughters and felt very safe. The pools and beach are breathtaking, food is delicious and the staff are very helpful and proffessional. Rooms are so nice and clean with lots of towels. The LOCATION is unbeatable, a huge mall across the street, walking distance to a lot and the bus stop right in front of the resort. Can't wait to go back! Stay here you will not regret it

Room Tip: ask for ocean facing room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your amazing feedback, we are always happy to help you and your family to have a Westin Lagunamar experience. Nothing is more important than knowing you left the property so happy. We know you will be back soon, please contact us if you need prior information or assistance.
Saludos from Sunny Cancun