We just got back from a week's vacation in a two-bedroom lock-off at the Lagunamar. I am going to start with the negative so I can end with the positive.
Having stayed at several of Starwood resorts, we have high expectations so please consider the following within than context.
We were disappoionted with several maintenance issues, for example:
- Stuffing in the pillow from the sleeper couch was spilling out
- My wife found a 4-inch nail that had come off a fixture holding the potty seat in the bathroom at the kids' club
- Shower handle in the studio part of the lock-off came off and we had to jam it back on
In short, while we found the room beautiful (building 4), we felt it was suffering from some wear and tear and needed some TLC.
Onto service, which was ok, not great - couple of examples
- When we were shown to the table for a brunch buffet the table was only set for 2 (there were 4 in our party); by the time we'd visited the buffet and were back at the table, it had still not been set for the additional 2 people. When I asked a waiter to do so, he just plunked down some silverware directly on the table without putting down a placemat - which all other tables had
- We lost an item an altered lost and found. They called us to tell us that it had been found and would be sent up to our room momentarily. It never was.
- This last one is an issue with all Starwood timeshare resorts, not just this one. As a heads-up, your "personal concierge" is there for one reason, and one reason only: to book you on a timeshare presentation. Yes, he/she will discuss excursions and the like but the objective is just to generate a little sticker-shock and then explain how you can catch a break: by attending a presentation. But they are generally not particularly knowledgeable about these excursions. (Our concierge booked us for dinner back at the hotel for an earlier time that our excursion - which she also booked - got back to the hotel that same day.) If you want knowledgeable advice, don't talk to any of the timeshare concierges (hint: they're the ones with desks) but rather one of the concierges behind the counter.
It's a beautiful property with one of the nicest pool areas I've seen. If you're in the pool and look out to the ocean - and get the angle just right - the ocean blends with the pool water (because the beach is at a lower elevation). Also, the location is great. And even though I griped about the maintenance issues in the room, we thought he accommodations were great.
I'm a loyal Starwood customer and would love to give the property 5 stars. But 5 stars is "excellent" and no property with the issues noted above can, in good faith, be rated thus. Therefore, it gets 4.
That said, if you stay at this resort, I'm sure you will have a great time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa is located on the white sandy beaches of Cancun, Mexico. Enjoy spacious one and two-bedroom villas that comfortably accommodates up to eight adults in as much as 1,140 square feet. Each villa features fully equipped kitchens, washers and dryers, generous living and dining areas, and complimentary Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Booking.com, Despegar.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Priceline, Jetsetter, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel Cancun
- Westin Lagunamar Ocean Hotel
- Cancun Westin