The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun
$280
$187
Melia.com
  • Breakfast included
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
$720
$870
$419
Cancelon
5,875 results
All reviewswasher and dryerduna sports barstudio villainfinity poolfun teamla isla mallstarwood ownersheavenly spafull kitchensteak nightmall across the streetheavenly bedpersonal conciergeoutdoor mallpool conciergeswim up bartime share
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Booked a Studio room. Very nicely appointed, nice furniture, EXCELLENT LIGHTNING in the room which is very unusual for a hotel/condo. At the other side light switches are nicely designed but VERY HARD TO TURN ON! Very important: VERY COMFY BED. Nice bathroom with a great shower head, commode, Jacuzzi. AC is EXCELLENT, quiet and efficient. You have everything in the kitchen needed for a good breakfast or even more complicated cooking.

Pools are nice and clean. Plenty umbrellas in both pool areas and "palapas" and umbrellas at the beach. You can get your beach towels at three places (towel cards) dry and as often you like. Caribbean Sea is warm at the end of May. Life Guard is on duty.

There are several restaurants at the property. We did not go there. Other people did not like them. There is a small store at the ground level by the main reception. Very expensive. Prices are twice than elsewhere. For a good pricing, go shopping for 8.50 Pesos to Walmart or Chedraui, use bus R2. Very safe and easy, ask at reception. Local Oxxo store (5 min. walk) is cheaper. Store in La Isla is more expensive for no reason.

Taxi does not have a meter, discuss the price before you board: 190 to Cancun center, 140-150 back to Westin from center. +

There are so many good (and not so cheap) restaurants around, just do not hesitate to check the bill and ask questions before you pay.10% tip is appreciated if it is not calculated for you in advance.

Go to La Perrilla restaurant: Av Yaxchilan 51, Centro, for a premium Mexican food and mariachi entertainment (100 Pesos to order a song). The food and the atmosfere is worth money. We struggled to spend 1400 Pesos.

All in all it is our third and the best visit to Cancun, a lot due to the great Westin hotel and it;s location. Very nice employees. Learn a couple Spanish words. Ola; buenos dias; gracias... they deserve to hear them from you.

Room Tip: Avoid building 12 at any cost - three huge AC units from the nearby hotel (Live Aqua) are de facto in your room. Avoid building 13 also: described noise is a bit lower, cannot hear it through your door, but if you step on the balcony it is like hiring hair dryer by your ear. It might be the same with the building 14. Ask for upper floors in any case.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our resort. It is very important to us that you take home memories that you will never forget. Our perfect location is very convenient to have everything walking distance. Thank you for choosing our resort for your stay. We hope to see you again next year to enjoy another Westin experience.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

PROS:
- Hotel is in center of Cancun strip and across from the nicer Cancun shopping centers with lots of restaurants (La Isla)
- Room Cleanliness
- Friendly Staff
- Pools were spectacular

CONS:
- WiFi was horrible. I know people are going to say that I am vacation, why do I need to use WiFi but we had small kids that went to bed earlier than usual and having a good WiFi connection would have helped while I was in the room. Don't book based on "Free WiFi" in the description. I would have GLADLY forked over more money for a good, reliable connection. They said they have been "Fixing" the WiFi for awhile but this is what they will tell you when you ask. They were also not willing to have us switch rooms when we asked for places that had "better" signal. Ironically enough though...the best signal was in the Check-In Lobby. In my room I would have killed for at least Dial Up Speed.
- Concierge really didn't know about rules for most of the tours when it came to kids. Some of these tours actually had free admission to kids under 5 but they were trying to charge us kids rates for some of the tours
- Was double charged by concierge for one tour and now its becoming a nightmare to get my money back. Just be weary and have your prices already figured out.
- Timeshare presentation went too long. I was told it was supposed to be 90 minutes and it ended up being 130 minutes. Not sure if this was worth the $100 credit as I was double charged on my excursion because of technical issues.

Would I go back?
Maybe....if it was just me and my wife probably but the WiFi is too much of a killer and too many options around to just settle.

Room Tip: -Ask for a room on a higher floor. If you get one of the lower rooms, you will probably get a great blocked view of the ocean made by a big palm tree. -Don't fall for the "Happy Hour" at 3-4pm by the pool. Those Margaritas taste very watered down compared to buying them at other times. Also, be prepared to pay around $10 US dollars for a small Margarita.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank XenonAdonis
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
Please accept our apology for the WiFi inconvenience and thank you for posting this review. Your comments are very welcome and they are being resolved by the manager of the appropriate department. Please contact us to: lagunamaroceanresort@westin.com for more assistance.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was our first trip to Cancun and staying @ the Westin Lagunamar made it even better. We had a 5th flr ocean view studio, perfect for 2 people.
Great staff, helpful concierge and definitely look forward to staying here again!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank E V
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
We are definitely excited to welcoming you soon! And thank you for your nice comments; we assure you we will be sharing this with all the associates at Westin Lagunamar.
Warm Regards from Cancun!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My husband and I went alone this trip. It was a great trip. We love the Westin Lagunamar. We went last summer with our children and my mom. It was a great time then so we returned for a 5 days get away and it was fantastic again. The resort is heaven sent. It is clean and so beautiful. The employees are helpful and will do anything for you. It was wonderful. Thank you!

Dear Guest,
We are very grateful to read your amazing review, we appreciate your comments and we will share with our team members your fantastic feedback.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Of all the timeshare properties that I have been to over the years, the Westin Lagunamar is by fat the BEST (sorry, Marriott). Wowee! What a place and where do I start? The hotel is absolutely amazing. Everything about it is above and beyond. So if you are planning a trip here (and what are you waiting for if you aren't) GET PUMPED!
the red carpet treatment starts before you arrive. Your concierge will contact to you prior to you going to see if you need transportation arrangements or any other needs. I am always cautious that they are just a scam to pressure you into a timeshare presentation but they do NOT. I was very relieved about that. They will ask you when you get there but if you say no, they stop.

Arriving at the airport and finding your transportation if you arranged it with the Westin (and you should) is a bit tricky, once outside we couldnt find our person who was suppose to be there with a sign. They were but he was way off in a corner and we couldnt find him for about 10 minutes. That was the only bad thing about the transportation. The rest was great.

Check in was very easy. We were there very early (about 11 am) of course the room wasnt ready but they told us they would try to get it ready earlier if possible and gave us a beeper. We had a lovely poolside lunch and bingo, beeper went off at 1:30 and we went to our villa. Oh my!
We were in building 800 on the 5th floor. Ask for a room on the higher floor, lower floor rooms may have obstructed views due to palm trees. The view is one of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. It was so pretty, it looked fake! LOL. You will be in awe. The beach water looks lit up! The villa is wonderful. Everything you could think of. We even had 2 wahsers and dryers! The down side is there is no oven. Yes, there is a convection oven but I had no idea how to work it, so my frozen pizza was soggy. There are worse things in life. Also, the coffee maker was a bit worn and could use replacing. The coffee mugs are SMALL, so if you love a nice big ol cup on joe in the morning and like to sit on your balcony and sip it, bring your own mug from home. Other than those completely MINOR things, the room is devine.

The pool(s): there is a larger pool which is lively and the other pool is quieter. I mean lively in a good way. They have trivia contests (my husband and I WON the TV theme song one) which are really fun. The pool is so nice, its huge! A bit cool, wished it was a bit warmer, but no biggie. There are built in tile loungers in the pool which were very popular. People do come early to mark their spots on the pool chairs so front row is taken early. We are not the type to run down at the crack of dawn to claim them but appears that others do, so if you want front row, be forewarned. We never really had an issue getting a spot at the main pool, and there were plenty of spaces at the quieter pool (too quiet for me, I like a little action). I didnt have kids with me but all the kids seem to be having a great time. Great pool slide for them. The swim up bar is nice, its a fun crowd but I didnt see any obnoxious behavior while I was there. The restaruant at the pool is great. We ate (and drank) there several times and food was always good. Happy hour with 2 for 1 is 3 pm to 4 pm. Westn- you really should extend it another hour.Also, live music during happy hour would be really cool

Now for the service at the pool area and restaurant.... THE HARDEST WORKING GROUP OF SERVERS THAT I HAVE EVER HAD THE HONOR OF MEETING!!! Completely blown away by the service. Someone passes by your lounge chair every few minutes to check on you. They take the time to get to know you (not in an intrusive way) and they will remember and call you by name! A nice touch. They hustle but you never see it as them being rushed or stressed. They are so sweet, relaxed, and fun but they work their butts off to make you happy!!! Mad, mad props go out to them!! OMAR- you ROCK!!!

and I must add that ALL and I mean ALL staff at the Westin are outstanding. Front desk, conceirge, spa staff, housekeeping, maintanence, service, market they are what makes this place spectacular. I cannot say enough good things about them.

The fitness center is nice. I just wish it had a nice view, it doesnt. I would have loved to overlook the ocean while on the treadmill but oh well, I should have just run on the beach, right? And ps, the beach is beautiful and the water is like bath water, wave are fun too!!

Getting around Cancun is very easy, and we felt very safe. The bus picks you up right outside the hotel, and I swear they run every 30 seconds. Pay in peso and dont expect the driver to speak much english. Know where you are going ahead of time. We got off too soon for Walmart and got a bit scared for a moment but a nice Canunian took pity on us and walked us over there! We were a bit suspicious that he was willing to help us but he was and he did and asked nothing in return. Walmart is quite an experience, the mexican pastries in the bakery looked amazing! We took a cab back to hotel with all our groceries for 15 usd and had a such a nice driver. The taxis wait right outside the front door of Walmart, or you could take the bus back.

We had a lovely night at Margaritiville on "Country night", that was really fun. Great place. Nice pour. Whatever you do, stay away from the slide at Senor Frogs. NASTY!! it lands in the lagoon and water is GROSS! I cant believe anyone goes down it, so if u get a few pops in you and feel game, think again, if you end up with a rash (best case scenario) dont say I didnt warn you!!

The couples massage with Carlos and Marcella at the beach cabana was dreamy. Best massage EVER and they gave us a slice of cake for our anniversary which was so nice of them.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a top notch resort!!! and although I like to try new places and hotels, I am seriously thinking of going back next year. Its THAT good.

Room Tip: high floor overlooking main pool.
3  Thank joquendo

Dear Guest,
On Behalf of the entire staff of Westin Lagunamar we thank you for writing your amazing comments about your recent stay with us, and thank you for your loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts.Your loyalty is very valuable to us. Your great comments about the members of our staff will be shared with each of them. We hope to welcome you back near future.
Best Regards,