The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Concord, New Hampshire
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We just completed out second trip here in 2 years and would not go anywhere else. The staff could not have been more accomodating and responded to our requests (extra pillows/towels, etc) right away. Our room was just steps away from the beach and was very neat and clean. The grounds are immaculate and they are constantly working to keep them neat and clean. The pool bar/restaurant is very convenient with a swim up area. The drinks are excellent and we were amazed at how the staff remembered our names after the first day. Across the street is a large shopping plaza with restaurants and activities. Great location on the hotel zone. The hotel will also reccomend and set up day trips or any activities that you may be interested in and often at a discount from what you might pay on line. The hotel also arranges a taxi for you to go into town to get your groceries for the week. This costs $25 round trip and the driver will for you up to an hour at no extra charge while you shop. Can't beat it. Overall just a wonderful place with a great staff who go out of their way to make you feel at home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Jake314_10
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
DearGuest,
Thank you for your kind review of our resort. We greatly appreciate your comments about our Team and will be sure to recognize them.
We hope you have found a new "home away from home" and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,715)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
BretBon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We checked in on may 4 for a weeks stay in a 2 bedroom. the staff were great and the room beautiful. both pools were very nice and the food was good. the resort foes need a bar for the night time. they are building a sports bar at this time. the resort is close to the nightlife and go to a small restaurant called tucan. the locals eat there and the price is right along with great food

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BretBon
Thank you for your wonderful comments about Westin Lagunamar.
It is our highest mission to provide each of our valuable guests with their very own personal and memorable experience. We are delighted you enjoyed the magic of our property and the surrounding area. We look forward to your next visit! Regards
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

We also used an Interval Time Share exchange to stay at this hotel. We were there over the February break for a week. The grounds and building were very nice although they were under construction when we went. The trees, shrubs, and fountains were all very beautiful. We stayed in 811 - 812 adjoining ground floor suites as we were a party of 5. This was a very noisy area to stay. Staff were wheeling all sorts of carts and wagons past our doors at all hours of the day and night and the area outside of the patios was a frequent short cut for running and screaming kids. The pools were very nice and very clean. Lots of room for floating or swimming-however, good luck getting poolside loungers unless you get up before sunrise, which is beautiful from the beach (and the roof! - accessed through a door left open by contractors! :).) And if you do get a few loungers together don't move any towels as they may have been left there by lazy blobs who think it counts as a reservation card. Loungers on the beach are a bit easier to find but you still have to grab them early, or wait for people to leave.There were several hot tubs scattered around the grounds with varying temperatures. They were mostly vacant as the evenings went on. The hours of operation of said hot tubs was questionable. One night we were there at 2 am chatting with security, another we saw security shoo-ing out a few people around midnight. The ocean swimming was great, good waves for body boarding and helpful guys with whistles to let you know when you've drifted too far out of the swimming zone.
The rooms were decently equippped. And pretty clean. The beds were not all that comfortable and the bedding was very confusing if not improperly fitted. The bathrooms were nicely tiled and stocked with towels and white tea shampoos and lotions but you could tell they were hastily cleaned. The tub and corners of the floor were still dirty. The housekeeping staff were friendly and very generous with extra beer/water they've come accross if you tip well! We did however come accross several cockroaches (both dead and alive) outiside and inside of the rooms. The hotels front desk staff were very helpful in booking excursions and reservations. There are lots of dining and shopping opportunites right accross the street. The hotel has a well equipped gym and an internet lounge. Both with ice-cold A/C. There is also a small shop with coffee and other basic grocery items in the hotel - very overpriced though.
We did try the mini-golf course one night and found it lacking. I would only recommend it if you're bored and after muchas cervezas. There were BBQs just down the walk from our rooms which was very nice. The drinks at the swim up bars were outrageously priced but tasty. The buffet at the restaurant was not too bad. It had a good breakfast. The patio lounge was very nice with friendly staff, a nice way to start the evening of going out on the town. There was also a lounge area with couches and firepits that looked really nice but we didn't make it up there.

In all, a very nice resort. I'd place it Mid-to mid-high quality in my experience. If you plan on doing lots of your own cooking and BBQing, or going in and out of your room alot (pool and back for home-made drinks to save $$) then the ground floor is fine. If not, then i would pick a higher floor to avoid some of the noise and maybe cockroaches. The resort was very busy when we were there during Feb Break. I don't know if that is usual or because of the dates. It was my first trip to Cancun and Mexico. I equate the experience to a Caribbean Vegas.

Room Tip: rooms 811-812 ground level are very noisY! Stay away from elevators and ground floor rooms that lie...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank snowblows
Dear Guest, We would like to thank you for choosing Westin Lagunamar Resort and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort on your next visit to Cancun.

Regards,
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

I just came back from Cancun and stayed at the Westin Lagunamar from Monday 5/14 - Friday 5/18.

I HIGHLY recommend booking through Cancun Shuttle. It's the cheapest way to get to your destination to and from the airport. I paid $65 USD for 6 people and you get your own private van instead of sharing with other people. The driver was very nice and showed us what was what during the ride and stopped at various locations along the way to the hotel so we could take pictures of the scenery. The hotel is about 20 minutes away from the airport.

I arrived at the Westin Lagunamar around 3pm and was truly amazed how beautiful the resort was. I knew how the place looked like through pictures but when I saw it in person, it was breathtaking! I read how people didn't get their rooms until 530ish due to it being cleaned but check-in was a breeze. It was already ready when we got there. We had a total of 3 studio villas in buildings 3, 5, and 14. Each of us stayed on floor 4 and above so the view was perfect. We wanted to find a room where we could all stay on the same floor to make it easier so they changed us to building 13 floor 4 the following day. It was on the newer side of the resort that they just built. Minor construction is still going on but its not loud or noticeable. The new section have their own big pool and bar so everything was fine. Each room have a kitchenette, mini fridge, dish washer, washer/dryer, jacuzzi, queen size bed, and sofa. I advise you to throw all your valuables into the safe at all times just to protect your belongings. I personally left a "do not disturb" sign on the door because I really didn't need room service. ALL the staff members were very very nice and helpful. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it!

The infiniti pool was very cool! It was huge and overlooked the ocean. If you want to have a chair and umbrella, you will have to wake up early because it gets packed pretty quick. You can use the towel card they give you at check-in to get a beach towel by the pool. I didn't use mines at all, just used the room towel and replaced it through the room service cart when they pass by to clean the rooms. They had workers selling bracelets, fish bones carved into pretty objects, hair braids, cultural things, souvenirs, etc. You can bargain with them! Happy hour is 2 for 1 from 4-5pm at the pool bar and 6-8pm at the bar inside the hotel. I had a pina colada everyday and it cost 105 pesos. It was very good and pretty strong. The beach was very nice and not too wavy. They had red flags out each day and I assume it was to prevent you from being caught in the rip tide so you're prohibited to swim in the section where the red flags are at. You're allowed to swim between the yellow flags or any other color besides red. There's plenty of chairs and umbrellas so you don't really have to wake up early to save one at the beach like people say. The sandbar is clear water and ends when you see dark blue water.

The resort have a small gym that includes several machines, treadmill, bicycle, weights, and yoga mats. It is located below the first floor.

I checked the weather EVERYDAY prior to the trip and each day had 60% precipitation. Don't get too worked up about the weather because if it does rain, its only for a few minutes. I believe it rained 2 days during our stay. It passes by so quick that you will not notice it. The sun will come out, dry up the rain, and its beautiful, hot weather again! It was pretty humid and it makes the heat feel hotter than it actually is.

BEFORE YOU GO OUT TO DO THINGS....convert your money to pesos at the front desk. The resort only takes pesos! $1 USD = $12.50 pesos. The max you can convert at the hotel is $200 USD/person each day which is more than enough. I recommend bringing $1, $5, $10, $20 USD before coming to Cancun. There's other places along the strip or bank where you can get a higher currency rate but you only save a couple cents so it doesn't really make a big difference. ALWAYS carry a calculator or use the one on your phone to do peso conversion to see how much the item or food you're buying is in USD (peso / 12.5 = USD). I usually pay with pesos because the people will try to hustle you when paying in USD, so you end up spending WAY MORE. This is where you do the conversion to see what comes out cheaper. I carried both USD and pesos and paid with either/or if it comes out to be equal cost.

TAKE THE BUS! It's only $8.50 pesos (about 70 cents) and is very SAFE. If you plan on going around town late at night then I would take the extra precaution and just take a taxi. There is always a bus coming every 5 minutes or so. Walmart is about 15-20 minutes away.

Restaurants/activities I tried during the trip:

The Surfin' Burrito - They have the BEST Caribbean jerk chicken ever! I went back to this place 3 times just to eat it! The mixed ceviche was so so so good! I also tried a pork, and fish burrito but I think it would taste way better without the beans and cheese sauce they drench it in. The pina colada was decent. Miami vice was pretty good. All the alcoholic beverages come in 32oz. The best part about this restaurant is that it is very CHEAP! It's definitely a bang for your buck. Plus they offer free WIFI; the log in info is located on a sheet by the register.

Habaneros - This place is awesome! The owner is very nice and welcoming. We went back twice because it was that darn good. I was surprised he remembered us (pretty sure he gets a lot of customers flowing in and out the restaurant). The avocado dip was delicious! It's a plus that you also get free chips and dip. The yellow sauce is so GOOD yet SPICY so proceed with caution. The fish and pork tacos are their specialty and only cost $12 pesos! The owner came up to us and said they have free WIFI so that was pretty cool. We just caught up with the world while we were waiting for our food.

El Fish Fritanga - I came here to get fish tacos togo. I passed by this restaurant thinking it was just a small little booth that sells only fish tacos but found out that it was a full restaurant below, overlooking the water with boats, etc. everywhere. Had I known, I would have dined in but was in a rush to go eat somewhere else. It came dressed with the whole 9 yards and the waiter also packed us chips and salsa togo. It ended up costing $8.65 USD for 6 tacos if you paid in PESOS(this is a good example of the money conversion calculation) or $12 USD up front. They were pretty sneaky but good thing I caught it or else we would have got jipped.

Thai restaurant in La Isla Mall - This experience was out of this world! I have never been to a restaurant where I felt so rich, ever! You get your own HUT that overlooks the water which makes you feel like you are in some expensive foreign country. The food was pretty good but expensive. I had better Thai food back home in the States. The scenery makes everything worth it. The Mojito's were DELICIOUS!!!! Real fruits made with the drink and only cost $8.50 USD. You will NEVER find a great drink like this for so cheap. We tried the regular, cucumber, watermelon, kiwi, and lychee (was actually rambutan); it was all excellent and had its own unique taste. As for the food, we had Pad Thai, green curry, larb, chicken&shrimp, and mussels. To top off the night, we sat in a closed off section in the front section of the restaurant and they opened the drapes that covers the glass window next to the aquarium and you can see DOLPHINS swimming around. It was very awesome!!!!

Coco Bongo - This is a MUST do! Its like a Vegas show along with a club. We went on a Wednesday and it cost $55 USD. From Thursday-Sunday it costs $65. I advise you to buy the tickets from the sellers outside of the club because they give you a wrist band to skip the long line. Either day you go, it will be PACKED with around 1000+ people. It was very FUN! You can see videos on YouTube to get an idea. Drinks are all inclusive. DO NOT drink the shots from the girls that walk around the club. BEWARE, YOU WILL GET HUSTLED! It cost $10 USD for a little sip of Hypnotik they pour you. I mean, really?? They're pretty annoying because they will keep on encouraging you to take a shot even if you say no so just turn away and ignore them. I warned the group I was with to watch out for em but one guy couldn't resist and learned for himself. The club closes at 3am i believe. I stayed to about 1am and wished I could have stayed longer but the others were tired and wanted to leave....ended up missing Madonna and Spiderman act. Along with Coco Bongo, we paid an extra $15 to go to Congo across the street. It's a small bar which was pretty fun and upbeat along with its all inclusive drinks. All of the waiters at Coco Bongo and Congo will take care of you. They treat you pretty darn good but the drinks feel like there's no alcohol in it.

Morning Glory - It cost $65 USD to go snorkeling. It is not my kind of thing to do because I've done it before. For the people who never done it, its a good experience. We chose to do this excursion due to the limited time we had in Cancun. The activity lasts from 8-1pm. It was about a 30min ride from the hotel. You go through the hood to get to your destination. It can be a little scary because you're leaving the nice tourist area and you see a military dude holding a rifle at certain areas. You go through a corn field looking area to get to the spot. Once you're at the destination, it is just as beautiful. You're on a beach with huts, etc. The staff and boat crew were very nice. Its cool that you're ONLY allowed to use biodegradable sunscreen to protect the reef. You're prohibited from using anything else (wished they said something before). You can purchase it for $12 USD at the check-in place. They give you snacks, drinks, and beer. The water can get a little choppy, so its possible to get sea sick! They provide bottled water for you on the boat. You go to two different water depth spots, 3-5 feet and 10-20 feet. I personally liked the 3-5 feet because everything was close and had more fish swimming around than the deeper one. Snorkeling can be very tiring for beginners and you can sometimes swallow the salty water which is quite nasty.

This was the best trip I've been on and I wish I could have extended my stay. Definitely planning my trip back to Cancun and Westin Lagunamar!

P.S. I gave in and drank my drinks with ice. Some say you're not supposed to but I figured that they use filtered water so I was fine and did not get a stomach ache.

15 Thank HDB_NOLA
We appreciate your review, thank you for going one step further and saying that your experience with us was the most amazing experience ever. We truly are very greatful for reviews like yours. Please come back soon to visit us in Mexico.

Warmest Regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Westin Lagunamar for a week in the middle of May. We used an Interval exchange to get a one bedroom villa and this property exceeded all expectations. Though the room had a strange musky smell in the beginning and the Jacuzzi conked out one night, overall the villa was nicely appointed. We cooked in the spacious kitchen a few times, lounged around the comfortable sofa watching TV, and the bedroom was more space than we needed so I can't complain. The bathroom was huge. The giant infinity pool is probably the main highlight of this property. Even though there were a lot of people, we never felt like it was crowded and always had our own space. Prices at the pool bar/restaurant were reasonable for a hotel and the waiters/bar tenders were attentive. We swam in the beach a few times, but the waves were very strong.

Another good thing about this property is its location. It is at the center of the Hotel Zone, right in front of the La Isla Shopping Center, where a nice stroll at night is always pleasant. Lots of great restaurants within a 5 minute walk also, such as La Habichuela Sunset and my personal favorite, El Fish Fritanga. The concierge desk was also very helpful, particularly Violetta. She helped us plan our trip to Chichen Itza and all the restaurants she suggested we go to were great.

When we return to Cancun, Westin Lagunamar will definitely be one of our top choices for accommodations.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ju73349
Thank you fro your amazing review ! We feel great when we see the our guests are getting more than they expect. Please visit us again in the near future.

Reagrds
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

property is great. second tower is now open so there are more pools. main pool is very spacious. Was a bit of a pain that to get a lounger with an umbrella you had to be at the pool before 8am. Also could use another restaurant on site. Sports bar is scheduled to open this summer. Service is very good. Had a personal conierge who handled all dinner reservations. They also set up all activities. Highly recommend XPlore, to zip line and do other activities. I had a studio room which was spacious for 2 people. Unfortunately we were in the main building and a few nights had a lot of street noise that the hotel couldn't do anything about.

Room Tip: Try to get a room who's door doesn't face the main street...can get noisy.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WLMManagement, Manager at The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Guest, We are very pleased to know you had a great time at Westin Lagunamar. We hope this experience with us is just one of many you will have for many years to come. Thank you again and come back soon.
Buckley, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

The Westin in Cancun was my first trip to Mexico and let me tell you - it set the bar high! The hotel is fabulous, but the staff is even more wonderful. From start to finish, we were made to feel welcomed and pampered! There is absolutely nothing I could think of that could be improved.

It was an EASY walk to a variety of restaurant choices, from relatively fancy, to tables in the sand - but all great food. There was bus service directly in front of the hotel to get into Cancun, and the staff was more than happy to help arrange a taxi if needed.

The view from our room was exquisite, and the white sand and blue ocean absolutely breathtaking!

Room Tip: I believe every room faces the ocean - we were on the third floor and had a nice ocean view, but the...
Dear Guest ,

We are delighted to have created memories for you here at our amazing resort. We look forward to creating more for you in the future. Thank you for you comments, we are very glad to know we were able to make your vacation exceptional...