“The worst in 2 weeks in Mexico!”
Review of Gray Line Tours

Ranked #31 of 167 Transportation in Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: Gray Line Cancun is wholly owned and operated by Mayaland, Mexico’s Tourism Pioneer and a family enterprise since 1921. Born in Chichen Itza, we provide the best tours and experiences in the land of the Maya, offering a wide variety of sightseeing experiences, day tours, tailor-made vacation packages & travel related services. Gray Line Cancun is honored to have Gray Line’s Blue Diamond, guaranteeing the highest level of care, professionalism and dedication that has made the creator of sightseeing experiences the planet's largest sightseeing company, serving travelers for over 100 years.
Reviewed September 22, 2017

This was by far the worst tour company we used in Mexico over a two-week period. We took 5 tours, and this was the only one by Gray Line... to Chichen Itza and Ik-Kil Cenote.

Wow, we wish we had just gone on our own instead! We already had a car anyway, so the only reason we took this tour was because we wanted a tour guide and company.

THE TOUR GUIDE: Boring, non-engaging and it felt to all of us that he was just selling some real estate instead of making the trip interesting for tourists. His English was very good, however the translation was lacking (I speak both English and Spanish fluently, and it was obvious that he was translating less to English than what he was explaining in Spanish - even the non-Spanish speakers noticed something was strange). I pointed this out and he improved a little bit.

LUNCH: Awful touristy lunch in a hotel buffet. The worst meal out of two weeks in Mexico... I would rather save the $5 they probably paid for the buffet, and eat a sandwich. Pizzas and pasta, which were awful... And the only Mexican food they served was low quality (the beef was full of fat, the pork and chicken were awful) and all was full of flies everywhere. Really, they could have made an effort (the Mayaland Hotel).

THE DRIVER: His name was Hector. He dropped us off at the Ik-Kil Cenote after the Chichen Itza tour, and gave us 80 minutes to bathe in the Cenote, which was nice as we wanted to spend at least an hour there. However, he was 1 hour late picking us up from the parking lot! We wasted an hour waiting in the empty parking lot, wondering whether maybe he forgot about us... Perhaps an accident or something else happened. Well, not a peep from him... Not even an "I'm sorry"... He just opened the door, and when I complained and said he was an hour late he didn't even look apologetic. He just stood there, waiting for us to get in and go. We missed our dinner reservations at an exclusive restaurant in Tulum (the only exclusive restaurant there) and had to leave the next morning so we couldn't re-book for another night.

A complete waste of 13 hours... Also, they didn't pick us up at the hotel so we had to make our way to the bus station instead... Which was fine, except that they would have just driven the additional 10 minutes to pick us up at the hotel strip where we were staying, since it was a small van that picked us up and not a massive bus... which I understand would have had problems turning around in the narrow streets. We spent 6 hours in the bus in total, so an extra 10 minutes to pick up guests in the popular hotel strip doesn't sound so far-fetched that they couldn't do it.

CSGrayLine, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gray Line Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2017

Dear Traveler:

Thanks for share your experience and we apologize for all the inconveniences during your trip with us. Please, send us an email to customerservice@mayalandresorts.com to help you with your situation.

All reviews
"bottled water"
in 11 reviews
"ik kil cenote"
in 7 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 7 reviews
"great service"
in 21 reviews
"cancun airport"
in 19 reviews
"playa del carmen"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed September 22, 2017 via mobile

I booked the Early Uxmal birding tour with Greyline via phone. Greyline transferred me to Roberto Chuc at Mayaland Tours. I received a confirmation voucher stating that my Mayaland ride will arrive at my hotel at 05:00. As an experienced traveler, I asked for the driver's cell phone number so that I may call at 04:45 on the tour date. Mayaland Tours requested that I contact them one day before my tour to confirm all details. I would then be given the driver's phone number. I did call Mayaland two days prior to my tour and again one day prior to my tour. No cell number was received.
Today is tour day. I set my alarm for 04:00 and waited outside my hotel at 04:50. I waited for over ONE HOUR. I emailed Mayaland Tours. I then called Mayaland Tours. I was informed by Chuc that the driver, "fell asleep." A driver did arrive after 06:00. The driver informed me that he, "had a flat tire." It is obvious that somebody was lying.
I asked a full refund. Mayaland stated they would refund the tour. We shall see.

The Merida hotel staff were surprised to see me at breakfast this am. I told them about the driver's very late arrival and the blatant lies. Staff at this nice Merida hotel informed me that many tourists have complained to them about Mayaland Tours. Btw...I did have a great birding tour with Valladolid-basedYucatan Jay Tours.

For any person considering a tour based in Merida, From my experience this am, and from Merida hotel staff reports, I would highly suggest you do NOT book with Mayaland Tours.

3  Thank Glenn S

Dear Traveler:

We apologize for this situation during your stay in Mérida. We are sorry for not having met all your expectations. Our first goal is to provide unforgettable experiences to all our visitors and travelers. Please, send us an email with all the details about your reservation with us to customerservice@mayaland.com so we can help you.

Reviewed September 21, 2017 via mobile

We booked a small group light and sound tour which started with pickup from Cancun hotel at a reasonable hour of 9:30am by our driver for the day Antonio.
We spent an hour at Ik-Kil Cenote for a swim and then buffet lunch at the Mayaland hotel. We we're met by our fantastic guide Rosendo who guided us round the Chichen Itza site. As a native Mayan speaker, as well as a good command of Spanish, English and some Russian thrown in, he really added depth and colour to the explanation of the site.
After the tour we had the planetarium experience and then access to the hospitality suite for an hour and half to refresh and eat the packed dinner.
The last part of the trip we reentered the Chichen Itza site to view the buildings lit up at night followed by an impressive light show.
It was a long day (we got back to Cancun at midnight) but Rosendo and Antonio looked after us well, kept us hydrated and entertained.
Well worth the trip

Thanks for such an incredible review dear traveler! All your great comments about our services and most of all, about our staff members; Rosendo and Antonio will be very useful for our entire community. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to the Mayan World on a new trip to México.

Gray Line Tours.

Reviewed September 14, 2017

The only thing this package includes is the transportation to Chichen Itza! Yes, access to the hospitality suite is nice, but it doesn't compensate for the shortcoming of the package. I understand it is very well described as far as what it included and what is excluded, but I didn't quite get all that until I got to Mayaland Resort. I realized it when we were separated from the rest of the group by the driver. He was down right rude and basically neglected us because I believe he thought we were cheap for choosing this package. I do have to give him credit for coming back to pick us up as we were late getting to the pickup point due to a missed email where it mentioned the new pick up time. I wasn't being cheap, I ended up paying for everything - entrance fees, tour guide, lunch, 360 Maya Skies show, which ended up costing me the same amount as some of the other packages. One of the reasons why I chose this package was because of its mentioned close proximity to the Cenote, but it turns out the one within walking distance, Xtoloc, is sacred and swimming is not allowed in it. The one that allows swimming is called Ik Kil, which requires a ride and entrance fee, none of which are again included in this package. I was profusely disappointed for not being able to visit the Cenote.

2  Thank Sajjad K

Dear Traveler:

We apologize for this situation during your experience with us. Our first goal is to provide an incredible trip to all our travelers and we hope to have the opportunity to help you and find a solution, please if you so kind to send us an email to customerservice@mayaland.com with all the details about your visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 21, 2017

Chicen Itza is an impressive UNESCO site so it is always worth a visit. My only advice is to make sure you get a tour guide who speaks clear English and knows what he is taking about.

We travelled on Gray Line's Chichen Itza small group tour on August 18, 2017. Our tour guide was Carlos and our driver was Luis. The outline was pretty much as described in the overview: Mercedes Benz van, small group, no hard selling of souvenirs.

Our main problem was our tour guide, who was pretty incoherent. I really tried to listen but I struggled to understand him half the time. We eavesdropped on the other tour groups at Chichen Itza and the other guides were clearly much better. Carlos could speak decent English and could handle simple conversations. However his English was not clear enough to be a guide and he often spoke in half sentences. He also didn't really answer any questions from the group. I am not sure whether he didn't understand the questions or he didn't know the answers.

We were also unlucky with a flat tire and a road accident (NOT our vehicle!) which caused us around 1-2 hours extra on the way back. The flat tire/ accident were nothing to do with Gray Line, but you need to be aware of the road conditions when doing trips in Mexico. Even Mercedes Benz and tires from Continental can fail you sometimes.

Customer_Service_9, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gray Line Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2017

Dear Traveler

We appreciate your time to share your experience during your trip to the Maya World. We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for all your tips to improve our service to provide a better service to our travelers.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve once again on a new trip.

Best regards.