“excellent in every way”
Review of Fantino

Fantino
Reserve with OpenTable
Fantino is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #62 of 969 Restaurants in Cancun
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Retorno del Rey
Transit: 5 minutes away
Description: A gourmet tour of Mediterranean cuisine in an intimate and romantic setting. Dress code: long pants, closed shoes and collar shirt for gentlemen.
Lombard, Illinois
“excellent in every way”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Do yourself a favor and eat at this restaurant when you're in Cancun. The staff is excellent, the piano player is charming, and the food is top notch.The chef sent out several extras throughout the meal, all of which were amazing. Even the bread was great, with three olive oils to choose from. Just a great experience all around. The rose they gave my wife at the end of the meal was a nice bonus as well.

• Visited December 2013

“Most romantic restaurant in Cancun!”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Fantino was beautifully decorated for Christmas and had one of the best tasting menus my fiancé and I have ever experienced. The service was amazing and the food was delicious. There was a piano player did a wonderful job and even took requests. We were celebrating our recent wedding engagement and the staff went out of their way to make us feel special.

• Visited December 2013
Mount Dora, Florida
“Impecable food.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had the fish which was delicious. Service and food impeccable. Olive oil tasting very fun. wanted to go back to do tasting but closed on Mondays.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ltorres93
Wilson, North Carolina
“Gracious Dining”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have eaten at Fantinos several years in a row when visiting Cancun. The Mediterranean food is excellent and the service is gracious, to say the least. It is an elegant dining room but not at all stuffy because the staff is so genuinely friendly. The tasting menu pairs wine with food and the matching is superb. Wine prices in Mexico are relatively high, so the way to combine super wines with value is to try the tasting menu. Our menu included a deceptively simple pear carpaccio, arugula, almonds and goat cheese salad paired with a Pinot Bianco Thurner 2011 and the result was perfect. The staff was also kind enough to share the secret to making pear carpaccio. Tender lamb loin was paired with a Super Tuscan Monteti 2007 and both were delicious. The other courses were equally stellar. Service appeared to be timed perfectly- no rush and no moments of waiting too long. A truly lovely meal with piano music awaits at Fantinos

• Visited October 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Trying too hard”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Where to start... Fontina is definitely an experience. Unfortunately, I'm not sure all the elements worked. The service is incredibly attentive but it quickly becomes old. Actually it almost becomes comical as you watch the servers continuously organizing themselves in huddles all over the restaurant in order to serve (or remove) plates in unison. Counting to three in French just so they can lift the plate covers at the same time? We just found those kind of elements a bit overdone. Contrast this with the similar style of service at Eric Ripert's Blue in Cayman where the prep and organization happens behind the scenes and is totally transparent to the guests - it just happens. Back to Fantino, it also took over 30 minutes before they felt it was time to bring us our menus. But my biggest knock against the service was them bringing the wrong bottle of wine - same vintage, same producer but a Cab instead of a Chardonnay. I of course missed that somehow until it was being opened. So, my fault. But they of course charged a good bit more for the bottle which is when I realized it was them who indeed brought the wrong bottle, not me who ordered the wrong bottle. That kind of stuff shouldn't happen given their attempt at 5-star service. Okay, the food. After two fantastic amuse bouche we really thought we were in for something great despite them not offering their tasting menu. Appetizers... My wife's short rib tortellini was quite good. My watermelon with mozzarella was interesting but not sure I'd order it a second time. The flavors were a bit confusing and the frozen watermelon just melts all over as you're trying to eat it without a spoon. We both had fish for our entree. The cod was okay but nothing to write home about. The trout was downright flavorless. I literally had to keep pouring on the butter just to give it a little flavor and make it edible. I got the sense that the chef put all his effort into the two amuse bouche and forgot about the main courses. (Maybe the tasting menu would have been a better choice had they actually been offering it.) So, look, if you're going to charge me this much for a meal, I want breathtaking food, not just overdone service. In the end, the "experience" was more amusement than memorable. Just can't recommend Fantino. Disappointing.

• Visited July 2013