“Great first open Cenote”
Review of Cenote Azul

Cenote Azul
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Chichen Itza Tour with Cenote Swim from Cancun
More attraction details
Owner description: Freshwater lagoon perfect for swimming.
Reviewed July 19, 2014

So we were staying in Playa and wanted to swim in a cenote and not pay for some package with things we did not want. We took a $25 cab ride to Barcelo then $6 per person to swim in the cenote...then $25 back. This was much less than any package for $40-50 per person. Cenote Azul was not too crowed, clear, cool (70 degree water) and refreshing. We really enjoyed this event. We did walk over to cenote Christalino...$10 dollars per person...too crowded, not as natural...it felt very commercial. It was still cool and refreshing, but not our first choice.

2  Thank Hoppyintmedfs
Write a ReviewReviews (1,106)
All reviews
"snorkel gear"
in 14 reviews
"few hours"
in 16 reviews
"the water is crystal clear"
in 16 reviews
in 12 reviews
"cold water"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Personally I am not a fan of the cenotes. The water is cold, I keep hurting my feet on the stones, I float like a brick, and I can't snorkel without swallowing half a lung full of cenote water. In addition I had to change into my trunks in a dark, stinking toilet.

However, that's me, and plenty of other people seemed to be having a wonderful day.. This cenote is big, the water is beautiful and clear, it has two separate pools, one of which that has a big cliff you can dive off if you are so inclined. Dangle your feet in the water and the fish will swim up to you and you get a free fish massage as they chomp away at the dead skin. I hated everything about it, but don't let that stop you, you might well love it here....

3  Thank wilftrunks
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Not too crowded....natural environment ...fresh and clear waters (and not too cold), relaxing atmosphere... Fish, caverns, water holes.... Great !!!!!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

We took a cab here one afternoon for a break from our nearby resort, and it was better then expected! The cenote is clear, blue, surrounded by lush vegetation. There were tons of amazing fish to swim with! There is a dock you can jump from; or a short walk will bring you to a cliff you can jump from as well. The water is cool and quite refreshing. It was not too crowded when we were there- maybe 20-30 other people, but everyone spreads out so it feels very peaceful and quite. My boys loved jumping from the cliff and checking out the small cave; my daughter spent some time sitting still with her feet in the water and watched the little fish nibble her toes!

It was easy to get here by taxi. We took a collectivo back to the resort- it picked us up right in front of the cenote entrance.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I got a free week's stay in Cancun at a resort. This isn't really our style of travel, so we were eager to rent a car and explore more of the area. We drove about 1.5 hours to this Cenote. The entrance 70 pesos a person (about $6 each). We walked through a path for about 3 minutes before getting to the swimming hole and cave. It was really beautiful and only semi-crowded. We ended up spending about an hour swimming and exploring. Afterwards, we continued driving to Tulum and had lunch and explored there. This is a long drive for only this attraction. If you go, I'd recommend trying to see another cenote and/or checking out Tulum.